Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

October horror retro game extravaganza!

• 02-10-2013 1:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭

So being October and the season of Halloween, what horror/scary games will you be playing this month? I'm going get my friend over and finally finish obscure 2. I think we're about 80% through it.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,388 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Does firing up that Dino Rex PCB count? :pac:

Shame I'm not finished FF VI yet, would have loved to give Clocktower a go this month.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

o1s1n wrote: »
    Does firing up that Dino Rex PCB count? :pac:

That's just sadistic!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

I'm going to try to finish Amnesia: The Dark Descent, and might have another lash through a couple of old GameCube favourites: Resident Evil (remake) and Eternal Darkness.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,653 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I loved Eternal Darkness, good choice.
    I'll be playing SoR2, maybe try to find time to play Kuon at last.
    So many games, so little time.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 52,036 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I've started Project Zero 2. Already it's far scarier and better than the already great original.

I'll be moving on to Corpse Party on PSP after that. I'd play it on the train but that game needs to be played in the dark with headphones (it's got amazing 3D sound through stereo headphones).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

That reminds me, I have project zero on the xbox so must give that a go.

Been meaning to check out the Project Zero games for a while now, might give one a try if/when I get a chance!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭TomCo

Playing Corpse Party on the Vita.

Buttery poopers ahoy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭TechnoFreek

Gregory Horror Show on PS2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I've started Project Zero 2. Already it's far scarier and better than the already great original.

I'll be moving on to Corpse Party on PSP after that. I'd play it on the train but that game needs to be played in the dark with headphones (it's got amazing 3D sound through stereo headphones).

I played through Corpse Party last winter. Stunning, and utterly terrifying game. I found that it held it's haunting feeling no matter what conditions I played it in. I reckon it could be played in the middle of a family day out, and still not lose it's horror.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

Might give this a shot for Halloween :L

Might give this a shot for Halloween :L

My nephew sent me this video a few months back. The guy playing it is gas. "Things getting your toes!"

Random useless info- All the blood splatters on the walls in the background are taken from Mortal Kombat II.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

TomCo wrote: »
    Playing Corpse Party on the Vita.
    I got stuck at the first "boss". Brutal I am. Great atmosphere though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭TomCo

penev10 wrote: »
    I got stuck at the first "boss". Brutal I am. Great atmosphere though.

Me too actually, I quit playing for a while and eventually had to look up a walkthrough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,308 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Friday The 13th on the C64 - freaked me out 'back in the day'

Had me some Splattethouse 2 last night. Always good horror fun to be had with that one. I'd love to play thorough Sweet Home. It looks great.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 52,036 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I've been cheating on horror games playing Ninja Gaiden 2 but it's out of the way and it's back to Project Zero 2. I'm not one to be easily scared but I had the **** scared out of me on 3 occasions by this game tonight.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,653 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

As I have said before, I have for the first time fulfilled my October requirements by actually playing and finishing a horror game, namely The Last of Us.
    That said, it's not retro, so I am back to square one, bugger

Just play some castlevania :)

I just played and finished Dead Space and Dead Space 3. Wasn't expecting too much from Dead Space 3 due to the increased slant towards action, but I found it still a very very good game. Actually enjoyed it more than Dead Space 2. Though 2 did scare me more... particularly wandering through the incredibly creepy creche/school areas of the sprawl!

Haven't worked up the courage to go back to Amnesia yet...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

I finished Dead Space 1, never played 2 or 3. I've been put off by the negative comments about them being more action orientated...

I got most the way through Dead Space, finished Dead Space 2 but have yet to play Dead Space 3. Dead Space Extraction is pretty nice, I have the Wii version but might pick up DS2 again for the HD version of Extraction that's given away with it for free.
    I saw the movie and found it quite unsettling.
    The human race in that universe, dumb as a bag of rocks.

I was pleasantly surprised by 3, and I actually liked the ending. Thought it rounded out the trilogy nicely, and explained a lot, story wise. Some nice tense bits too, with new enemies and trying to keep the body temperature from dropping too far at one particular point. Lots of space parts too so the oxygen metering comes into it too. The weapon customisation in particular is excellent, where you can make your own weapons that do whatever you want to do. Machine gun with plasma cutter secondary weapon? Can do. Flame thrower with an electric bolas? Sure thang. Shotgun with a ripper blade? Tear those necromorphs a new one.

Agree with Ciderman, Extraction was excellent too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 616 ✭✭✭Casey120

DeathSmiles in the Cute until after Christmas and probably play some Demon's Quest and Ghouls and Ghosts .

I played some 360 Doom3 BFG in 3D on my Sony HMD last week but I chickened out as usual.
    The isolation, apparent huge screen and 3D really does the trick for me .

I imagine playing something like Condemned in 3D on a high res Oculus Rift will literally cause some filled pants and heart attacks in the future .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,388 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

The Rift has made me scream in terror and almost smash my laptop. I am not afraid to admit that :D

Playing XII Stag and Alien Versus Predator myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭Dexterm99

Splatterhouse 1 arcade is just fantastic. I could complete in the day but I don't have a decent controller for my old xbox (where it runs under CoinOps). It means I can't do the slide move anymore :-(

Can't wait to play it on my new arcade cab.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

Nothing really retro.

I finished Rule of Rose there 2 weeks ago, got the good ending and the extra chapter, very sad but glad I finally finished it (hooray for sick days).
    Then gave Kuon a go, started a bit hard but never went back to it was just too tired to concentrate.

I want to go back to Trapt as well, I think it's k bit short so never wanted to finish it.

Just a bit early for it but finished Starship Demray at the end of September I think, badly needs a soundtrack, wasn't impressed.
    Gregory Horror Show on PS2
    I think I collected the souls in the wrong order and made it very hard for myself, will have to check up a walkthrough

I got stuck back into The Suffering: Toes That Bind last night. I started it a few weeks ago, but hit sidetracked by Final Fantasy VIII. Back in now though, and even though it's flawed (heavily in some places), I'm still loving this game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

deathrider wrote: »
    I got stuck back into The Suffering: Toes That Bind last night. I started it a few weeks ago, but hit sidetracked by Final Fantasy VIII. Back in now though, and even though it's flawed (heavily in some places), I'm still loving this game.

used to love those games on the ps2

transformation when you blacked out was epic stuff xD

• Advertisement

I still think they're great. I'm really enjoying Ties Tha tBind at the moment.

deathrider wrote: »
    I got stuck back into The Suffering: Toes That Bind last night.

Those foot fetishist games are always the creepiest...

Advertisement