Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Veterinary Nursing or Veterinary Medicine? -

Options
  • 02-10-2013 1:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭

Basically, in UCD there is only a difference of 1 year between becoming a Veterinary Nurse and an actual Vet.

A friend of mine intends to apply for Veterinary Nursing as a mature student and therefore the points race is irrelevant to her.

My question therefore is, what would the reasons be for a mature student to study Veterinary Nursing over Veterinary Medicine for the sake of 1 year because I consider there to be very little in the way of job opportunities for veterinary nurses at the moment.

I understand that the study of Veterinary Medicine is known to be difficult but surely learning anything new is difficult depending on what you put in. I would consider a 4 year degree in Veterinary Nursing nothing to be sneezed at in terms of difficulty.

She has never mentioned anything about it in the past so it's not like she has always wanted to be a Veterinary Nurse or anything and when I asked her why she wouldn't apply for Veterinary Medicine as well she didn't have an answer.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

Basically, in UCD there is only a difference of 1 year between becoming a Veterinary Nurse and an actual Vet.

A friend of mine intends to apply for Veterinary Nursing as a mature student and therefore the points race is irrelevant to her.

My question therefore is, what would the reasons be for a mature student to study Veterinary Nursing over Veterinary Medicine for the sake of 1 year because I consider there to be very little in the way of job opportunities for veterinary nurses at the moment.

I understand that the study of Veterinary Medicine is known to be difficult but surely learning anything new is difficult depending on what you put in. I would consider a 4 year degree in Veterinary Nursing nothing to be sneezed at in terms of difficulty.

She has never mentioned anything about it in the past so it's not like she has always wanted to be a Veterinary Nurse or anything and when I asked her why she wouldn't apply for Veterinary Medicine as well she didn't have an answer.

There are only two entry routes in pro VetMed in UCD, one is through the leaving cert, they other is as a postgrad through an accepted course.

So even if your friend wanted to they could not apply as a mature student for VetMed as there is no mature student entry routes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭another question

meoklmrk91 wrote: »
    There are only two entry routes in pro VetMed in UCD, one is through the leaving cert, they other is as a postgrad through an accepted course.

So even if your friend wanted to they could not apply as a mature student for VetMed as there is no mature student entry routes.

I had sent her this link a few days ago. Does it not say about half-way down that you can apply undergraduate on the grounds of mature years? I could have read it wrong.

http://www.qualifax.ie/index.php?option=com_wrapper&view=wrapper&Itemid=50

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭another question

That link doesn't actually bring you to the page. If you click on the link and type in 'Veterinary Medicine' in the search box and then select option 2 'undergraduate UCD' about half-way down they state the mature years requirements.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭thegreatgonzo

I don't think they accept many matures onto that nursing course so the points are probably more relevant than she thinks. Veterinary nursing is a pretty intensive course so hopefully she knows what she is letting herself in for :-)

Advertisement