Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Money Transfer in Local Branch?

Options
  • 02-10-2013 1:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭

Hi,

I'm about to sign off a lease on a new apartment. I need to make a money transfer into the landlord's bank account this week, but have just realized that in order to add them as a payee on 365online, it required activating my mobile phone which will take 7 days.

I would assume I can just make a money transfer in my local branch for the deposit since I have the account details?

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Billy

Hi GavinFlud,

Thanks for contacting us on Boards. 

The branch would not usually process a transfer that can be made online. 

It may be possible to make a Same Day Money Transfer (SDMT) in the branch however this would depend on the amount to be transferred and there are charges for this. The best thing to do is to call your local branch and speak to an advisor. A full list of branch contact numbers can be found here 

Thanks 

Billy

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭GavinFlud

Thanks for the response Billy, I'll try to give my local branch a call when they open tomorrow. Just for my own curiosity, is there a specific reason my local branch wouldn't be able to handle a money transfer? 

The amount to be transferred is €1250, but I'm not sure if that is enough for a SDMT. If there are no other ways of handling a money transfer (outside of waiting 7 days to activate my phone for online transfers) then that may be my only option available.

Thanks,
    Gavin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Billy

Hi Gavin, 

Due to a policy change, branches have not been accepting payments over the counter since the end of last year. Where a self-service option such as online can be used, the branch will promote the use of this. I know this isn't ideal for you in this instance but self-service transaction charges are now 0.20c rather than 0.28c per transaction 

An SDMT would only be made for larger amounts although I would advise making a call to the branch to see if they can help. 

Another option might be a bank draft although it's worth checking with the landlord to see if he/she will accept a bank draft before purchasing one.

Thanks

Billy

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭GavinFlud

Hi Gavin, 

Due to a policy change, branches have not been accepting payments over the counter since the end of last year. Where a self-service option such as online can be used, the branch will promote the use of this. I know this isn't ideal for you in this instance but self-service transaction charges are now 0.20c rather than 0.28c per transaction 

An SDMT would only be made for larger amounts although I would advise making a call to the branch to see if they can help. 

Another option might be a bank draft although it's worth checking with the landlord to see if he/she will accept a bank draft before purchasing one.

Thanks

Billy
    Thanks for all the help Billy. I completely forgot about the potential to use a bank draft, and the landlord has said that will do fine.

Thanks again!

Advertisement