Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vodafone Fiber Router Setup

• 02-10-2013 2:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭

Hey,
    Trying to set up a netgear n750 router to work on Vodafone fiber but cant get it to connect to the internet.

Anyone know the correct settings to be put into the router, including username and password etc??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭clusk007

Can anyone help with these settings? Going mad trying to get this connected with no luck.:confused::confused:

Seems like people are having lots of problems with the Vodafone supplied Router so would be great if we could get the settings needed to use your own.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,530 ✭✭✭swoofer

you are actually referring to a modem/router or to give its correct term, a gateway. as of now vf wont allow you to connect your own modem/router you have to use their model. the huawei 658c. VF need to maintain control of their service as much as possible. In fact the huawei is not bad but limited.

The work round is to have the VF gateway set in bridge mode and use a dedicated router. Thats what I have done.

by the way have you looked in the settings in the huawei 658c?

Are you sure about this? I was of the assumption that I could use my own. I rang vf customer support and they told me to do the following:
    for the username use the serial number of the router (new netgear one) followed by @vfiefttc.ie and the password broadband. The only other info he gave me was Vlan id 10. This did not work however.

Would you have directions on how to put the vf router into bridge mode?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,475 ✭✭✭✭Alun

The router the OP mentioned is an ADSL router, and Vodafone fibre (FTTC) is VDSL isn't it? So even if he could get it set up for the Vodafone fibre service he wouldn't get anywhere near the full speed from his connection. At least this is what I'm assuming given the talk of setting up username and password on the Netgear, unless someone is very confused somewhere, and it's actually a 'cable' router with no DSL modem built-in.

For clarity, OP, what exact model of Netgear router is it you have?

• Advertisement

Alun wrote: »
    The router the OP mentioned is an ADSL router, and Vodafone fibre (FTTC) is VDSL isn't it? So even if he could get it set up for the Vodafone fibre service he wouldn't get anywhere near the full speed from his connection.

No this is compatible with vdsl as far as I know and works with both adsl and fiber. http://www.netgear.com/service-provider/products/routers-and-gateways/gigabit-ethernet-routers-gateways/default.aspx

Ah I see, you confused me by talking about configuring usernames/passwords which would typically be the case for a router with a built-in ADSL/VDSL modem. VF support should have picked up on this, but it doesn't really surprise me that they didn't.

Anyway it appears that you have a router that doesn't have a built-in modem, so as mentioned already you will have to bridge the Huawei and effectively use that as a modem. On the Netgear, there's no username or password required, you'll just have to set up the WAN connection as DHCP and leave it at that. Username and password are only necessary if you're setting up a PPPoE type connection which you're not in this case.

Cheers for the advice Alan. Sorry the link I previously put up does not show the correct router.
    This is the one I bought and it does have a built in modem http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0091S6SCG/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Should I be able to replace the vf router with this one provided I get the correct login details?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 98 ✭✭Langer

that netgear has no vdsl support?

clusk007 wrote: »
    Cheers for the advice Alan. Sorry the link I previously put up does not show the correct router.
    This is the one I bought and it does have a built in modem http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0091S6SCG/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Should I be able to replace the vf router with this one provided I get the correct login details?
    It only has ADSL2+ support, you need one with VDSL support. BUT I see that in addition to having an ADSL WAN port it also has a GBit ethernet WAN port for attaching an external modem to, so again you should put the VF modem into bridge mode, attach it to that port and set it up for a DHCP connection.

THE VF router should already be set up with the correct username, password and other details to log in to the VF network.

• Advertisement

Alun wrote: »
    It only has ADSL2+ support, you need one with VDSL support. BUT I see that in addition to having an ADSL WAN port it also has a GBit ethernet WAN port for attaching an external modem to, so again you should put the VF modem into bridge mode, attach it to that port and set it up for a DHCP connection.

THE VF router should already be set up with the correct username, password and other details to log in to the VF network.

Ok which port on the vf modem does the ethernet cable go into?

Jesus lads I am struggling here and going mad!:mad:

Screenshots attached, have I got the settings right on the vf end?

and then what do I do on the netgear side?

For the VF end you must go through the (rather laborious) instructions linked to in post #5 in this thread to put the VF router into bridged mode. It looks to me like you've got that bit almost sorted, but you also need to disable DHCP on the LAN on the VF router. Save the settings and reboot it too.

Then you'll need to connect the GBit WAN port (NOT the DSL port) on the Netgear to any of the LAN ports on the VF router, it doesn't matter which one, and then set up the Netgear to connect through the GBit WAN port and connect using DHCP. Sorry, I can't really help you on that one, but it shouldn't be too difficult to figure it out.

Alun you are an absolute star and saved me hours of frustration!

Just got it going and the netgear side didn't need any configuration, picked it up straightaway which is fantastic.

Now if I did return the netgear and got a vdsl compatible router, would it replace the two okay or am I stuck with the vf router. The reason I ask is the house is already a bit 'equipment heavy' so the more I can cut down the better. Thoughts?

I'm not sure about that to be honest, but my instincts would say it should be possible. GBCULLEN says it's not possible but I'm not sure what VF could do at their end or on the router itself to prevent this. Maybe he can elucidate as to what he means by this?

for the last time you are stuck with the VF router/gateway and be glad you have it in bridge mode.

Are you sure GBCullen??! Haha just messing, cheers for the help lads and glad to have things sorted this far.

Vf seem to try to make things as difficult as possible!

GBCULLEN wrote: »
    for the last time you are stuck with the VF router/gateway and be glad you have it in bridge mode.
    Since you seem so sure of this, would you mind explaining to us mere mortals how this is enforced by VF, rather than merely stating it as a fact?

It was at the end of May when I opted for VF fibre and the modem arrived in post, I was delighted as I could then configure it to suit myself ie all the passwords worked and I had full access. When the fibre was installed VF arrange it so that you ring them to get switched on and it is then I realised they do a REMOTE software update that locks the modem. I got in touch with a few people in VF and the answer they eventually gave for locking the modem was to safeguard the introduction of vectoring. I should add that I had bought a new asus router specifically for fibre and to find VF would not allow me to use it was a BIG shock. I argued that was no reason for not allowing bridging and eventually a tech from business support did the bridging remotely after a lot and I mean a lot of hassle.

Its enforced by the remote software updating. Vectoring is the next big thing in that speeds currently available will double once it is switched on. Eircom may have indicated that it is sooner rather than later but ... !

I think the same applies to all ISP's ie they have a dedicated modem/gateway.

As its bridged now I am not bothered what happens and its ready for vectoring.

In a nutshell when vectoring is introduced the modem will require a software update and if customers had an assortment of modems connected then it would be a shambles

Advertisement