Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Back to old school!

Options
  • 02-10-2013 2:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭

My FT747GX has gone all sicky bad no well, with the well documented pa oscillation problem, so until I can get it looked at, it's back to the olden days......

my 1974 FT101B returns to service.

good points?

well, the valves run hot enough that I don't need to waste money on central heating any more......

but no more digimodes, and my autokeyer doesn't like the 101 so it's back to a manual straight key for cw.

I wonder if I can find a mic for it? haven't used a voice mode in AGES!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,729 ✭✭✭martinsvi

sorry to hear that. Ebay has some mics for this radio.. in all fairness, it's much better looking that the 747 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭martinedwards

Oh it's definitely prettier, but there is all that plate loading shennanigans to go through.....

and it's not widebanded so I have lost 60m & 30m......

and because I yanked the 15m crystal in favour of 17m it hasn't got that either......

but at least I'm still on air!!

as to the mic, I know I have at least two in the house, but could I be bothered? I've only had about 10 phone QSOs on HF since Christmas, so it's not like I miss it at all!!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

The FT101ZDworks fine on digimodes as long as the power is correct. I've done PSK31, RTTY, SSTV etc.

I use a 104 button "bug key" to send CW on it.

Oh I Know I can rig up the cables to run digimodes on it, but it means soldering a mic plug etc. frankly couldn't be bothered!

My Star Masterkey just doesn't like the AOAB this time around. no Idea why as it worked fine before.... maybe needs a new battery?

still, I have a couple of straight keys.

I'm enjoying a bit of old school cw again!

There should be a Phono patch socket on rear for input and a jack socket for output. I just use direct patch to laptop.
    There is also a rear "key" / PTT socket I think. I use a diode, resistor and 2N3904 off the Serial handshake pin.

• Advertisement

y'know what?

you're right!!

NOW all I need to do is get the clarifier fine tuned so I know EXACTLY where it should be to have tx & rx at the same frequency....
    a hair out on CW and SSB is acceptable, but not on the old digimodes!

If the other guy is using a waterfall display he will see your TX is slightly off and click on it. Then you can use RX clarifier to bring his reply TX back to the cursor on your waterfall display.

But if the clarifier for TX & RX is off the TX and RX should be the same on an FT101 series as the same crystals are used!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

watty wrote: »
    If the other guy is using a waterfall display he will see your TX is slightly off and click on it. Then you can use RX clarifier to bring his reply TX back to the cursor on your waterfall display.

But if the clarifier for TX & RX is off the TX and RX should be the same on an FT101 series as the same crystals are used!

You can also set the frequency on the soundcard setup to line up tx/rx or offset them if needed.

Advertisement