Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nice Restaurant in Athlone

Options
  • 02-10-2013 3:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭

Bringing some friends and family to dinner in Athlone this weekend, we are passing through heading towards Galway but staying for one night.

Could anyone recommend a nice restaurant? Somewhere the food is good. Somewhere that has all the general stuff, steak etc....

Thanks a million in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭slowharry

Where are you staying

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Strongbow10

in the radisson hotel, but we have the car so driving anywhere across the town isn't a problem

Around the castle you have Kin Khao ( Thai - the 'crying tiger' is a lovely steak dish on their menu) and some nice Italian places, Di Bella and Pavarotti's . As a biased local the best restaurants around Athlone are out in Glasson village 2 pubs, 1 restaurant in the village all do great food.
    The best steaks are in the Killinure chalets which is beside Glasson Golf course

• Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

Completely agree with Kin Khao and the "crying tiger".

Glasson is great - Glasson Village Restaurant, Grogans and Fatted Calf. Never been out to Killinure but have seen enough photos and heard enough reviews to say its worth a visit.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 fergal23

Tyhme Restaurant is my number one. Food top notch, nice variety and staff very friendly. Located in centre beside Shannon and Gerties pub. It's probably a little dearer than other places but well worth it. 5min walk from Radisson.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Rasmus

I don't think Killinure is open - they usually close for winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭Bugatti

Top Deck would be my choice for quality meal. And its only a few minutes walk from the Radisson.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Strongbow10

thanks a million for all the replies guys much appreciated

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,212 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Hatters or Thyme would get my vote.

Killinure closing after Halloween from what I've been told.

Thyme is very good aswell

• Advertisement

slowharry wrote: »
    Killinure closing after Halloween from what I've been told.

Thyme is very good aswell

only for the winter - they do it every year.

Will be open again at the end of March as far as i remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Trained Monkey

Im doing something similar but staying in the creggan court hotel. What nice restaurants are closeby?

Im doing something similar but staying in the creggan court hotel. What nice restaurants are closeby?

Honestly, none! Creggane Court is right at the edge of town and not within walking distance of any restaurant.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Trained Monkey

Fair enough, got the car with me so looks like I'll be driving too! Is Glasson worth the drive? Would you need to book ahead?

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭martin1

My advice is to leave the car at the Creggan Court.

Get a taxi into town. Go to Gerties for a couple of pints then ether go downstairs to Hatters restaurant (nice, bring your pint with you:) Or walk the 3 meters across the road to Thyme ( very very nice
    Either way you will get a nice meal.

Afterwards head across the bridge to the west side where a great night is almost guaranteed..................have fun :D

Forget Glasson its too far out.

Best advice yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭Dr.Rieux

I've always enjoyed Hatters whenever I've been, and then up to Gerties :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Athlone's a funny one, disproportionate amount of good restaurants for a town it's size.

I like the Left Bank Bistro, but haven't been there in about 3 years so my opinion might not be worth much at this stage.

Kin Khao is great too.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭LovexxLife

Whats good for a hen party?

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭afkasurfjunkie

LovexxLife wrote: »
    Whats good for a hen party?

Try the prince of Wales. The food is decent and they provide accommodation and deals for hens.

• Advertisement
Advertisement