Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

downloads stopping repeatedly and then resuming

• 02-10-2013 3:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭

I've been downloading videos (all over http) from Gamersyde (legal videos) and other file type from various other sites (Google Drive, Uploaded.net etc) and these downloads have been stopping completely for minutes at a time and then resuming. Usually this would cause most downloads to stop altogether as some of these sites don't support resuming downloads. This has happened on three different hardware set-ups and on wired and wireless connections and has also affected Youtube and occasionally Xbox Live. I contacted UPC about it but predictably they know nothing. I'm on UPC and have the awful Technicolor router so that might be the issue. I also have a custom DNS set-up for Netflix (Unblock-US), could this be causing these stalls? It supposedly only affects certain services and none of those I've had troubled downloading from.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

not sure if (or where) that router keeps logs of how long it's been connected to the net, but you could download multiping and set up a constant symultaneous ping to various relevant IP addresses (including the router itself) and websites and see if everything drops at once when you have problems.

that way you'll know if it's just certain sites jamming up (bottlenecks) or everything at once (your router dropping offline), or if you're just losing the connection to the router itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭corroonb

I've checked the logs and they have very little info compared to the Netgear router. None of these events is showing in the logs which is why UPC don't have a clue. Ping looks good in multiping and not many packets are being dropped either.

Advertisement