Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

should i get 5S in the usa next week?

• 02-10-2013 3:38pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭

I'll be in vegas and NYC next week. Seriously considering buying the 5S there. Is this a good idea? Think I can get it sim free from $649.

Tempting, because I can sell my 4S, or even my current iphone 5 to offset the cost, but my business phone is no longer in contract and I am thinking I shuld maybe wait until the 5S release here.

I have a year left on my personal emobile contract with the iphone 5 32gb. I am on a sim only only plan with Blueface (Three) with an unlocked 4S 16gb.

I am considering the eircom phone, broadband and emobile plan for business use at the moment, so I want to upgrade to the 5S and maybe use that for my personal phone, giving the iphone 5 to the business, or to the wife. AAARRRGH.

If I buy the iPhone 5S in the states and take out the eircom deal, I could pick a phone for my son as part of the deal. he is 10, so doesn't really need anything fancy, but a free smart phone comes with the deal.

What would you do?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

Now that $649 is before state-specific sales tax, which might make it more expensive.

Having said that I'd definitely try to pick up a sim free one if they have any.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

Zcott wrote: »
    Now that $649 is before state-specific sales tax, which might make it more expensive.

Having said that I'd definitely try to pick up a sim free one if they have any.

Totally forgot the sales tax :mad:

Maybe I will just wait, so I can at least write off the irish vat throught the business.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Kagawa

goz83 wrote: »
    Totally forgot the sales tax :mad:

Maybe I will just wait, so I can at least write off the irish vat throught the business.

I will be getting one in the states too if they have them, but the sales tax in NYC is 8.75%, so it still works out a lot cheaper than the €700 it will be here when it's released

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,737 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

OP, is the sim free version available in the USA yet?
    Usually they dont get released until November/December.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

kceire wrote: »
    OP, is the sim free version available in the USA yet?
    Usually they dont get released until November/December.

They're on the website, but I don't know for sure.

• Advertisement

I have someone who will be checking in an apple store in the states, I'll post when I find out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭fox007

Just be careful with the warranty if you have any issues with the iPhone apple will not help you here in Ireland you will be told to go to a USA apple store!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

The end of this thread seems to suggest that yes, they are unlocked:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1640112&page=23

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 185 ✭✭asif2011

fox007 wrote: »
    Just be careful with the warranty if you have any issues with the iPhone apple will not help you here in Ireland you will be told to go to a USA apple store!
    I think you will be covered if you get AppleCare+ now...

http://www.engadget.com/2013/09/24/applecare-international-coverage/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,197 ✭✭✭kensutz

asif2011 wrote: »
    I think you will be covered if you get AppleCare+ now...

http://www.engadget.com/2013/09/24/applecare-international-coverage/

No you won't. You'll be told to send it back to the US

• Advertisement

It seems that apple won't touch the phone under warranty, does anyone know if they would fix it outside warranty? Or would they still tell you to send it back to states?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,197 ✭✭✭kensutz

In warranty or out, you'll be told to send it back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 84,928 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

That's cute, you think it will be in stock.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

Overheal wrote: »
    That's cute, you think it will be in stock.

That's the tricky bit, my sister in law is in New York at the moment.
    I was going to get her to get one for me while she is there, although I didn't hold out much hope.

She says there are still some people sleeping out overnight to get phones and people queueing hours before the stores open.

They have reintroduced the in store pickup option this week so you can buy online and pick up in a store.
    A bit more convienient than queuing hours.
    They seem to get a few deliveries a day to the stores but they only last a few minutes.

I have tried that option but I haven't been able to get it to work with my credit card, any time I try to place the order it just brings the billing details up again instead of placing the order.
    I suspect they are blocking foreign credit cards from buying phones at the moment.
    I was able to order a dock for pickup with the same details and that went through no problem, so its not a full block.

Anyway looks like I'll be going the parcel motel or Belfast route.

Advertisement