Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donegal GAA Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

harpsman wrote: »
    Had me long post written then computer restarts-aaarrgghh.

Anyway long story short-we needed a repeat of goal breaks going our way like Dublin game last year, instead we missed half chance and they score on the stroke of HT-instead of leading we're down 4-game over.
    Thought McHugh should have done better but sold himself completely. See some surprised to see him there but hes been our sweeper for years so theres every reason he could end up in that position.

No problem with management-its no secret we,re a team passed our peak and with the draw we had we did ok-who knows how UF would have gone had Murphy been fit. Hopefully we can add bit of new blood to make up for inevitable retirements though Lacey in particular and big Neil will take soem replacement.

Not a bad season by any stretch, would have been great to win Ulster again but not to be.

Think 1st game showed theres a big difference between playing at home in Clones and Croke Park-Monaghan got a lesson in football and actin the gurrier from the masters,not much sympathy for them but shown up as a 2nd rate side.

I meant specifically when Mayo pushed out and left AOS inside in space. In that situation where there were two men covering AOS (as opposed simply covering) having either of the two McHughs there was a waste of time. As useful as tits on a bull given the physical miss match.

Don't know just thought it was a fairly obvious thing at the time and we should have done better.

The thing that struck me about O'Shea today was his ability to win the second ball. A number of times Neil excellently broke the tackle or disposed him and the ball went loose and O'Shea's physique had him able to scoop it up again straight away. The guys a monster, don't know what his mother put in his spuds!

That's going to be such a problem for the Dubs that is. It's a total mis match between AOS and ROC.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭harpsman

I meant specifically when Mayo pushed out and left AOS inside in space. In that situation where there were two men covering AOS (as opposed simply covering) having either of the two McHughs there was a waste of time. As useful as tits on a bull given the physical miss match.

Don't know just thought it was a fairly obvious thing at the time and we should have done better.

The thing that struck me about O'Shea today was his ability to win the second ball. A number of times Neil excellently broke the tackle or disposed him and the ball went loose and O'Shea's physique had him able to scoop it up again straight away. The guys a monster, don't know what his mother put in his spuds!

That's going to be such a problem for the Dubs that is. It's a total mis match between AOS and ROC.
    Not so sure myself-the Mayo players out the field today had plenty of time to place their kicks into him today-I think you ll find the supply alot less bountiful the next day and we'll see how he does then. Thought Neil did pretty well myself, as usual.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Stopitwillya

Time to concentrate on the hurling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭babybuilder

Had me long post written then computer restarts-aaarrgghh.

Anyway long story short-we needed a repeat of goal breaks going our way like Dublin game last year, instead we missed half chance and they score on the stroke of HT-instead of leading we're down 4-game over.
    Thought McHugh should have done better but sold himself completely. See some surprised to see him there but hes been our sweeper for years so theres every reason he could end up in that position.

No problem with management-its no secret we,re a team passed our peak and with the draw we had we did ok-who knows how UF would have gone had Murphy been fit. Hopefully we can add bit of new blood to make up for inevitable retirements though Lacey in particular and big Neil will take soem replacement.

Not a bad season by any stretch, would have been great to win Ulster again but not to be.

Think 1st game showed theres a big difference between playing at home in Clones and Croke Park-Monaghan got a lesson in football and actin the gurrier from the masters,not much sympathy for them but shown up as a 2nd rate side.

Difficult trying day in Croke Park. Congrats to a Mayo team on top of their game. They are energetic and play with a unity of purpose. This may be the end of an era. We have been privileged to have seen a Donegal win three Ulsters, one All Ireland and contest an All Ireland final.
    Donegal are a Tired looking team. Adding new blood is sure to be a challenge as there has been very little quality on the bench.
    The shortcomings of this Donegal team have been evident in every match this year and today we have been exposed.
    Namely, conceding 2/3 of the field, allowing runners to penetrate the channels, severe reduction in our ability to break at speed and with sufficient support, players receiving ball in stationary positions, isolating the full forward line with no link up play(no half-forwards or breaking line breakers filling this role), poor score taking, inability to execute quality foot passes and lastly huddles of players occupying the middle part of the pitch serving no purpose flapping at players that run past them.
    Management has to accept responsibility of some of these shortcomings. Yes I have a problem with the way the team has been set up and also with their lack of knowledge of how the game should be played.
    Leaving Mark McHugh on the field for 70 minutes for both games beggars belief.(Some may say who could you replace him with). Kickouts today were brutal our midfield were cleaned out. There was very little cleverness in the match ups for our kick outs. Loved to have seen McNiallas and Ryan McHugh playing wider unlike Mayo who had players wide on each side of the field. Amazing how Tyrone have formulated the McGuinness sytsem and I thought handled Monaghan very easily in the end. Thought that Conor McManus kicked wonderful points. REf was very poor in this game and Monaghan reverted to type in the end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Hard luck today lads. It was a tough route this year and on top of that some of the forwards didn't show up for key games.

Unlike others I though AOS won the battle comfortably, the uncertainty inside was evident and he caused it on his own. Your lads deceided to try to get out ahead of AOS and at that point you could see that he was too hot to handle man on man, he's a beast of a player and he was sucking the energy from the McGees, at one stage in the first half they were both tanked holding their knees and he was prowling around calling for the ball. Too much went into him and that wasn't the lads fault, he was bound to do something with it. If it's any consolation I don't think there is a number 3 in the country who'd limit him enough.

Getting to halftime a point down would have been an achievement there was a goal chance too that would have helped but mayo had two or three too that didn't come off.

Donegal never looked like they had the legs for the continuous battle Mayo were going to give them though.

The tougher road to here for Donegal showed. Looking back winning Ulster would have put you in a much better position and that was such a close game.

It must have weighed on your minds looking at Monaghan in the first game and how well they were beaten, had that been Donegal and not Monaghan in that game we'd have a different story imho.

On a side note McBrearty didn't kick a ball today, its been a poor year for him by his standards, he must be looking back at the UF too with some regrets.

It was a slog of a road to get to where you were today and this morning looking at possibly having to beat the aledged best three remaining teams must have been difficult physiologicaly.

• Advertisement

That's a great point and how we saw it too. Midfield won it for Mayo, it won the first half, controlled the attack and dictated the kickouts for both teams, then in the second half they reinforced more to get a total grip on the game and close it out in a way Donegal would have been proud of.

The Dublin half backline might restrict things more than Donegal did today but I can't the Dublin midfield getting much change from Mayo plus Mayo has more options there than any other team imo. Parsons tackling today was execellent. I think they'll expose Maher if it happens, as it stands I think it's mayo vs Kerry, they are very strong where Dublin has its biggest concerns

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

Can't really add much to what has been said. Nidge summed it up very well. Part of me was still thinking if only that Lacey chance in the first half ended with a goal, what might have been. But realistically we were beaten out the door in the second half. Once the fluke goal went in we lost all order and with it any hope.
    Definitely questions need to be asked of the sideline. We got a number of things wrong whilst Mayo got most things right. Lads were out there who shouldn't have been. Keegan had the freedom of the park and killed us. Why was he not man marked - instead we had Christy on him. But ultimately we knew we needed a lot to go our way to have a chance, it didn't work out, it was always a long shot.
    I think for the next year or two we'll be looking back rather than forward but hopefully as Nidge says, those in charge will ensure the best efforts are made for the young lads coming through to get the rebuilding going. You feel there's a fine line between staying at the top and falling back into the chasing pack. Look how much money Tyrone are spending to stay up there - we wouldn't want to take anything for granted over the coming few years.

On a side note, I don't know what Cafferky said to Keane as he replaced him but there was a definite bit of advice given and 1 minute later Keane is sent off for something he did on Murphy - anyone see that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭davegrohl48

Ceist_Beag wrote: »
    On a side note, I don't know what Cafferky said to Keane as he replaced him but there was a definite bit of advice given and 1 minute later Keane is sent off for something he did on Murphy - anyone see that?
    You seem to be suggesting something sinister to the whole thing. Incident was well covered in tv replays.
    Usually substituted players pass on tactical advice before coming off, as Cafferkey is noted as studying opposition players it was likely something tactical.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭jjdonegal

End of an era :-(
    Lost every significant battle that I recall. Horrendous between the two 65s; absolutely horrendous.
    Can see 2/3 retirements which will have a huge impact. Struggle to see us returning to the summit anytime soon but can still see us being competitive in Ulster.
    If guys like Lacey, etc keep going then we must take the approach Kerry took with key players the last few years and rest them throughout the league.
    On a side note; Kevin Keane what a bloody eejit to make contact with the face 2 yards away from the umpire. Game was over and a pure moment of madness and a deserved ban in my books.
    Overall no complaints as Mayo were far superior. Should have and could have won by more in my estimation. Will be a cracking game against Dublin hopefully.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

Not so sure myself-the Mayo players out the field today had plenty of time to place their kicks into him today-I think you ll find the supply alot less bountiful the next day and we'll see how he does then. Thought Neil did pretty well myself, as usual.

I was very surprised at the lack of pressure that was put on the various Mayo players around the centre of the pitch who were kicking the ball in to O'Se throughout - the ball for the goal was the perfect example - Cunniffe got the ball under no pressure and had oceans of time to look up, steady himself and put in a perfect ball for O'Se. The thing was that there was a 2 or 3 Donegal players fairly near Cunniffe but none of them made more than a token effort to even put pressure on Cunniffe. It was a lovely ball in by Cunniffe, but it's a hell of a lot easier to put in balls like that when your not being put under any pressure. I'd be far more critical of the lads out the field and Mark McHugh than Neil McGee in terms of apportioning blame/responsibility for the goal.

Also you'd really have to question the wisdom of playing McHugh as sweeper against someone of the physical presence of O'Se. Was it any surprise that O'Se blew past McHugh with nary a bother, given the physical mismatch? Getting into the area of speculation I can't help thinking that rather than have McGee jumping for the ball, if McHugh had been in front of O'Se and jumping for the ball and McGee had stayed on the ground really to challenge O'Se when he landed the odds of conceding the goal would have been substantially reduced.

Without a doubt the Dubs will be putting a hell of a lot more pressure on those kicking into O'Se. I'll be gobsmacked if the quality and quantity of the ball going into O'Se the next day is anything like it was yesterday.

You seem to be suggesting something sinister to the whole thing. Incident was well covered in tv replays.
    Usually substituted players pass on tactical advice before coming off, as Cafferkey is noted as studying opposition players it was likely something tactical.
    Obviously as I was at the game I wouldn't see tv replays, hence my question! All I know was Murphy was very annoyed with whatever happened when the ball was lobbed across goal but I didn't see what happened - care to shine a light on it for those of us who weren't watching the telly?

Obviously as I was at the game I wouldn't see tv replays, hence my question! All I know was Murphy was very annoyed with whatever happened when the ball was lobbed across goal but I didn't see what happened - care to shine a light on it for those of us who weren't watching the telly?
    The ball went wide. Keane is walking back out to Murphy. Murphy grabs him by the collar. Usual squaring up, contact with open hand against Murphys jaw. Murphy goes to umpire and red card afterward. Gough gave no yellow to Murphy as far as I seen, the initiator of physical exchange.

The ball went wide. Keane is walking back out to Murphy. Murphy grabs him by the collar. Usual squaring up, contact with open hand against Murphys jaw. Murphy goes to umpire and red card afterward. Gough gave no yellow to Murphy as far as I seen, the initiator of physical exchange.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,962 ✭✭✭doc_17

Thought it was very silly to completely surrender the Mayo half of the field in the first half yesterday in the way we did. As soon as Mayo had a kick out they were guaranteed to be well inside our half before a hand was laid on them but when we had a kickout we were challenged for them all.

Having said that it was very unfortunate that Neil took that hit and we might not have conceded the goal had he not taken that hit. And I couldn't give a fiddlers f*** what anyone says, Lee Keegan's goal was in no shape or form intended. After that it was game over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Pointing at scoreboards really worked for Pillars Dublin!

I don't think those Mayo players have baseless arrogance like that, one of the reasons people would love to see them win it.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

K-9 wrote:
    I don't think those Mayo players have baseless arrogance like that, one of the reasons people would love to see them win it.

I'd say the main reason people like them is that they play attractive football. You'd get off your backside to watch them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Michael Murphy is a fine young man and we are proud to have him as captain of our County.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭Miccoli

Be great to see Mayo fall short once again.

Miccoli wrote: »
    Be great to see Mayo fall short once again.

I'm not of that mindset. Once Donegal go I dont care. May the best team won. If that is Mayo then fair play to them and best of luck to them. Great side and enjoy watching them tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 422 ✭✭The Assistinator

I agree he shouldn't have struck out, it was stupid, if an opposition player starts a row - Murphy was the instigator of all this - you need to defend yourself without getting sent off and he failed to do that. But it's the whinging to the umpire by Murphy that I can't stand, especially when he caused the row to begin with. It was pathetic stuff and (as a man with a strong Mayo background) he deservedly lost the respect of a lot of Mayo supporters yesterday.
    Murphy was struck at of course he was going to complain it's the same for any other player at any other county or club I take it you missed aos in the first half complaining or the numerous other Mayo players complaining to officials but as said above the lack of love from Mayo will hardly worry Murphy to much, I'd say the picture if him lifting Sam in 2012 with that Mayo man behind him would just put a smile back on his face.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Cut out the winding up now, play nice or don't play at all!

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭Miccoli

naughto wrote: »
    Jesus so your a dub that's worse again

may the best team win

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,962 ✭✭✭doc_17

naughto wrote: »
    More grapes for you as well tesco will be sold out at this stage

At least you know where they are selling the sour ones. You must be well used to them at this stage. If Donegal; had beaten Mayo by the margin of yesterday the last place I would be is in the Donegal forum.

I really want the O'Sheas and Keegan, Doherty, McLoughlin, O'Connor to win an All Ireland but by god it won't be because of a small section of their supporters who are very arrogant!

But it's the whinging to the umpire by Murphy that I can't stand, especially when he caused the row to begin with. It was pathetic stuff and (as a man with a strong Mayo background) he deservedly lost the respect of a lot of Mayo supporters yesterday.

If that's what really upsets you, you'd want to have a look at AoS so - barely stopped whinging to the umpires in the first half.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭intellectual dosser

Saturday was disappointing but I don't think I was alone in being braced for a possible defeat, 3rd game in 4 weeks it's a big ask to to overcome a fresh and hungry Mayo side, the team owe us nothing.

I do have my doubts about Rory Gallagher though, I'm not sure he is going to bring us back next year. We definitely dont play under him as the solid unit we were under JMG, I don't think his changes throughout the championship helped us in games. It's probably only fair that he gets one more year, but watch this space.

Finally, I'd love to know how engaged the Donegal County Board were for the scheduling of our games throughout the Championship. 7pm vs Derry in Clones, and 6pm vs Galway and Mayo in Croke. How the hell is a family with young kids from Gweedore or Inishowen supposed to deal with that? If its the case that Croke Park HQ simply pick the timings then we deserve an explanation, and we deserve better.

Saturday was disappointing but I don't think I was alone in being braced for a possible defeat, 3rd game in 4 weeks it's a big ask to to overcome a fresh and hungry Mayo side, the team owe us nothing.

I do have my doubts about Rory Gallagher though, I'm not sure he is going to bring us back next year. We definitely dont play under him as the solid unit we were under JMG, I don't think his changes throughout the championship helped us in games. It's probably only fair that he gets one more year, but watch this space.

Finally, I'd love to know how engaged the Donegal County Board were for the scheduling of our games throughout the Championship. 7pm vs Derry in Clones, and 6pm vs Galway and Mayo in Croke. How the hell is a family with young kids from Gweedore or Inishowen supposed to deal with that? If its the case that Croke Park HQ simply pick the timings then we deserve an explanation, and we deserve better.

In fairness to Sean D a request was put in for the Galway game to be brought to the West / North West but it was rejected. Sky calling the shots so hands tied id think.

Big time agree with the sentiment here. I think the GAA needs to get their act together on scheduling. On the one hand their policy on encouraging young families to games is hugely successful, but on the other hand scheduling games should take the counties involved into account.
    Parking is another major issue - we didn't get out of Clonliffe until 9:15 the last day - for anyone travelling up to the likes of Gweedore or Inishowen with small children this is totally unfair. Clonliffe is a joke anyway - all stewards who were present on the way in had all abandoned drivers after the match - resulting in a free for all on the way out. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭intellectual dosser

Big time agree with the sentiment here. I think the GAA needs to get their act together on scheduling. On the one hand their policy on encouraging young families to games is hugely successful, but on the other hand scheduling games should take the counties involved into account.
    Parking is another major issue - we didn't get out of Clonliffe until 9:15 the last day - for anyone travelling up to the likes of Gweedore or Inishowen with small children this is totally unfair. Clonliffe is a joke anyway - all stewards who were present on the way in had all abandoned drivers after the match - resulting in a free for all on the way out. :mad:

"Nothing beats being there" is the line I think.

It would be a tradgedy if Sky Sports are controlling this and the GAA are doing nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭2moreMinutes

It was unfortunate that we ended up on the Sky side of the draw with a Saturday evening Ulster semi-final and also a Saturday evening qualifier and QF.

I've never seen it as busy either before the match or afterwards. We were also in Clonliffe and didn't get out till 9.30 after having ended up in the furthest corner of it.

Advertisement