Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Donegal GAA Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

I haven't had this confirmed yet but I think Pappa is gone. Moving to the Middle East with the woman.

Massive blow if true. Michael Boyle is a fine keeper himself but there's no spin available. Losing Pappa is significant.

Edit* some media outlets reporting it. And sorry the posts above didn't come up when I went through this thread. Was stuck on an older date or something.

I see this has been dealt with.

Surely there's Friday night & Monday morning flights he could avail of to commute for games.

There is no way I would ever expect (or even want) somebody to 'commute' from the Middle East to come back for championship.

It is simply not fair. They've already gone above and beyond what's required. If he's gone, he's gone. It's not like he's in England.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Surely 2mm was joking about commuting. But if he's serious, we may as well see if Ryan Bradley is up for it too.

On Papa, while it's positive that he 'may' (and I use the term loosely) be back for Championship, it's not ideal, is it? The days of the goalkeeper being peripheral to the action are long gone, and if he's missing for lots of training and preparation, I can only assume that this will affect our kick outs next summer, assuming he's back at all.

I think Michael Boyle is only gone temporarily, so I would assume he's first choice for the foreseeable future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭2moreMinutes

There is no way I would ever expect (or even want) somebody to 'commute' from the Middle East to come back for championship.

It is simply not fair. They've already gone above and beyond what's required. If he's gone, he's gone. It's not like he's in England.
    I probably shoulda put a wee smiley face at the end of that post but I assumed I wouldn't need it!

Frank McGlynn on 2016 in the Irish News:

"I'll be back myself hopefully - that's the plan anyway"

Good stuff.

• Advertisement

Redsoxfan wrote: »
    Surely 2mm was joking about commuting. But if he's serious, we may as well see if Ryan Bradley is up for it too.

On Papa, while it's positive that he 'may' (and I use the term loosely) be back for Championship, it's not ideal, is it? The days of the goalkeeper being peripheral to the action are long gone, and if he's missing for lots of training and preparation, I can only assume that this will affect our kick outs next summer, assuming he's back at all.

I think Michael Boyle is only gone temporarily, so I would assume he's first choice for the foreseeable future.
    Since you mentioned his name, was there some chat that Bradley was coming home/is home?

Missing the majority of training sessions from Jan-summer should mean someone also misses the championship. I think the days of players rocking up to training in April and being able to get up to speed are gone, especially for a team like Donegal.
    This applies as much to a goalie in terms of kick-out strategies as it does to outfield players in terms of the crazy fitness levels we require.
    A consequence of this is that I don't see much value in giving our elder statesmen the league campaign off as all they should be missing are the matches. If they're also missing the training, I can't see how they'd be at peak fitness come summer time.

Frank McGlynn on 2016 in the Irish News:

"I'll be back myself hopefully - that's the plan anyway"

Good stuff.
    With the other expected retirements, I couldn't face the thought of also losing McGlynn.

Since you mentioned his name, was there some chat that Bradley was coming home/is home?

None that I know of.
    Missing the majority of training sessions from Jan-summer should mean someone also misses the championship. I think the days of players rocking up to training in April and being able to get up to speed are gone, especially for a team like Donegal.
    This applies as much to a goalie in terms of kick-out strategies as it does to outfield players in terms of the crazy fitness levels we require.
    A consequence of this is that I don't see much value in giving our elder statesmen the league campaign off as all they should be missing are the matches. If they're also missing the training, I can't see how they'd be at peak fitness come summer time.

Depends when you want to 'peak' - is it end of May or start of August? This has to be addressed if we go with the same panel imho.
    With the other expected retirements, I couldn't face the thought of also losing McGlynn.

Well, Frank was rumoured to be calling it a day before now.

He's 'only' 28. He'll be around for a while yet I'd have thought.

The major ones for me are Colm Anthony, Christy and Eamonn. I ave already consigned Papa to the retirement bin which is depressing. There's few better in the country. Him and Cluxton are the two best by a distance.

Big Neil is in that bracket too but I think he'll stay a while yet. He was later to the scene than the others and shows less signs of wear. His game is different too in that he's not really reliant on any pace etc or any physical attributes bar his size. His reading of the game is so good I'd hope we could get another while out of him despite his age.

I don't think he'll leave this year but there's a big question mark over Lacey. I'd be shocked if he left but he's been showing serious wear and tear over the past year in particular. I'd be abit concerned for him in truth. All the boys have put in an unbelievable amount for Donegal down the years, none more than him. Gives it absolutely everything he has inside him everytime he walks onto the pitch, I've seen him play a few club games and he's the same there. Just unbelievably dedicated and committed. It's admirable but it's definitely started to take it's toll. It's his decision and I hope we get a few more years out of him but Rory needs to really start managing this squad. I'd be happy for Lacey to have a significantly reduced role up until the Championship.

Charter straight intoto Carrickfinn sure. Just the 2 hours drive then to get across the county to training!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭eddie73

Frank is one of our very best players, and never has a bad day. Good to see him staying. He has so much to offer. I would say that Durcan will be missed, but it is now a case of tipping your cap to the man, what he has achieved and offered. These guys have to live a bit too, and make a living for family etc.

There is bound to be a few senior lads retiring, we will respect all decisions, but in fairness, it is all that can be expected. We cant play the running game any more with the same lads. I think it is mentally impossible as well as physically so.

Will be interesting to see what sort of a reshuffle happens over the winter. :I would like to see Odhran bulk up.,and to be matched up at mid field with someone possibly the same age. We need murphy in around the house, as that is where he belongs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

Agreed Eddie, time to thank Durcan for his contributions and wish him well. As has been said, it's a massive blow to lose him but ultimately he has sacrificed a lot to Donegal and nobody can begrudge him putting himself and his missus first now.
    I had heard a similar rumour about Frank so hopefully it was a case of right rumour but the wrong man in that regard!
    I'm not sure why so many are writing Eamon off so quickly. I think Eamon has grown a lot in recent years directly as a result of being part of this bunch of players. I'm not sure he's ready to leave it all behind yet - he still has a few years football left in him.
    Whatever happens we have a lot to be thankful for but as I said earlier, I just hope the lads take their time before making any decision.

Ceist_Beag wrote: »
    Agreed Eddie, time to thank Durcan for his contributions and wish him well. As has been said, it's a massive blow to lose him but ultimately he has sacrificed a lot to Donegal and nobody can begrudge him putting himself and his missus first now.
    I had heard a similar rumour about Frank so hopefully it was a case of right rumour but the wrong man in that regard!
    I'm not sure why so many are writing Eamon off so quickly. I think Eamon has grown a lot in recent years directly as a result of being part of this bunch of players. I'm not sure he's ready to leave it all behind yet - he still has a few years football left in him.
    Whatever happens we have a lot to be thankful for but as I said earlier, I just hope the lads take their time before making any decision.

The reason thought/think Eamonn would/will leave is based purely on the fact that he's said had we won the All Ireland last year he was gone.

Himself and Toye are seriously good mates too so that'll have an impact.

I think they will take their time. They're a very level headed bunch, now they've matured!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭henke

Apparently Durcan says he will return.

http://hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=242475

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Not that one

I have nothing to add to 2015 comments already on the boards here.
    We had a long tough road, and played until we had nothing left.

Thinking ahead to 2016.
    Retirements assumptions:
    Colm Mc Fadden and Karl Lacey to retire. Bodies have taken enough of a hammering.
    Paul Durcan not available. The travel from Dublin would have taken its toll anyway. I believe he was probably going to retire at end of 2014 but All-Ireland final caused him to go one more year and play though the nightmares. I glad he did for his sake. Michael Boyle is a very capable replacement and an extended run on the team would give him match confidence.

I expect Frank Mc Glynn, Neil Gallagher and Eamonn Mc Gee to stay. They have not had the same bad run of injuries as Lacey, and their game is not based on the same explosive burst of speed as Lacey's.

I would love to see Neil McGee play the McKenna Cup and National League at centre half back.
    He would bring a lot of positives to this area. Obviously physically strong/ great non-fouling tackler/good reading of the game.
    I think he has shown that he is becoming a threat attacking.
    The main reason for placing him at number 6 is his leadership role within the team, when her piuts in a tough tackle or comes out with a ball, the others seem to respond and raise their game - There seems to be more pace/urgency when Mc gee comes out and passes the ball.
    To a lesser extent his leadership ranks highly with the Donegal support. There is that Francie Bellew roar from the crowd when he wins a tackle/turns over the ball.
    But that alone is not enough. I think with Neil McGee at 6 and Neil Gallagher at 8, they can hold our defense shape when we have the ball with numbers 5,7 and 9 allowed to counter attack.
    Replacing him at full back is a problem, but we have winter and spring to work on that.
    Eamonn Mc Gee/Declan Walsh are obvious candidates, but i would suggest Frank Mc Glynn at full back.
    Again his game reading and football intelligence are well noted, but he can be an excellent man marker, and has carried out that role effectively for us in the past.

My Dream Team to line out for the 2016 All-Ireland final is as follows:

Michael Boyle

Eamonn Mc Gee
    Frank Mc Glynn
    Paddy Mc Grath

Ryan Mc Hugh
    Neil Mc Gee
    Declan Walsh (Defensive options: Anthony Thompson/Eamonn Doherty/Mark McHugh/AN others)

Neil Gallagher
    Martin Mc Elhinney (Subs: Odhran MacN to midfield and/or Christy Toye)

Martin O'Reilly
    Odhran Mac Niallias (Forward subs: Christy Toye, Brick Molloy, Jigger, Eoin Mc Hugh/ AN others
    Leo Mc Loone

Paddy McBrearty
    Michael Murphy
    Mark Mc Hugh

(Hope i havent left anyone obvious out).

Comments on attack: Would like to see a "re-energised" Mark McHugh named as forward but acting as 2012 style roaming player with 2 man full forward line of Murphy/Mc Brearty.
    I know games don't go from start/finish with the team formation, but i'd really like this to be our team shape for 2016, leading us to the hypothetical All Ireland final.

I don't claim to know enough about the club game to give a list of potential new entrants to panel.
    I would like to think that Rory Gallagher would have an old wise head advising him, either as a selector beside him on the pitch, or as a behind the scenes/in the stands man. Even if this person did not have a direct match day influence but a neutral but strong sounding board for Rory's thoughts.

I really liked Eoin Mc Hugh with the under 21's this past two years, but will be difficult to assess him at senior level as Mc Kenna Cup and National League weather/pitchs do not normally suit a small stylish jinky player. Will need to be assessed like Mc Brearty and Jigger were in in-house games and sprung during the summer.

Would be interested to see others All-Irleand final 2016 team and formations.

Don't agree at all that Neil McGee and Frank McGlynn should switch.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭jjdonegal

Don't agree at all that Neil McGee and Frank McGlynn should switch.

Ditto.
    Great post above though; love hearing people's thoughts on what we need to explore moving forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

Agreed lads. Neil, best full back in the game bar none. No way would I move him although I do agree with Nidge about the lift he gives lads with his runs.
    I don't know if we'll have the luxury for switches next year. My immediate thoughts would be to try and get as many young lads into the panel as possible, focussing on those who can make the commitment needed. They won't feature next year but would need to be in there to learn the ropes.
    The only switch I would make is to move Murphy up to full forward, I think he looked good there! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭harpsman

Whilst I can see some merit to Neil at 6-hes a fantasic ball carrier and is well able to break tackles, which is so important against massed defences. Can also take a score. Having said that Id probably keep him at 3 with some licence to attack at stages as he did last year.

Cant see any merit in moving Frank to FB. No. 1 hes our best attacking half back and is so important to our attack with our style of play. Also not sure if Id fancy him marking Aidan O Shea:eek:

I'd be dead against anything that would restrict McGlynn's forays up the pitch.

Although Neil McGee is good going forward, I would feel his attacking may have to be reduced if Eamon steps away for next season. It was ok for Neil to be getting adventurous while Eamon remained in defence and vice versa but there'd too many small men left at the back if one of them wasn't there.

The one move that I may like is to put Lacey (if he stays) into the corner and abandon/severely limit his attacking runs. It would reduce the wear & tear on him while not lessening our defensive options. it would also give Paddy McGrath more licence to move up the pitch which it seems he was restricted from doing as much of during this season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,962 ✭✭✭doc_17

On the club front well done to St Michael's, Genfin and Gweedore for taking their stand and winning. Teams that played that day though under threat from the CCC have no comeback. The CCC behaved in a disgraceful manner to every club that had the honour of having a starter against Derry. They should be, but probably aren't, ashamed of themselves.

doc_17 wrote: »
    On the club front well done to St Michael's, Genfin and Gweedore for taking their stand and winning. Teams that played that day though under threat from the CCC have no comeback. The CCC behaved in a disgraceful manner to every club that had the honour of having a starter against Derry. They should be, but probably aren't, ashamed of themselves.

Meant to post it last week. Fines rescinded and games to be replayed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,962 ✭✭✭doc_17

Meant to post it last week. Fines rescinded and games to be replayed?

http://www.donegalsporthub.com/clubs-win-appeals-to-ulster-council-after-all-county-league-no-shows/

Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭eddie73

Has is occurred to anyone that next year could be a quiet year too? I think it will, simply because teams are on the up around the country as well as the top teams being there. I would say that we could see a raft of changes that include a few very young players being slotted in. This is not wishful thinking, it is more to do with the remarks that gallagher himself made after the mayo game that strongly hinted at change.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭Mackas_view

I'm not sure Rory's job should be as safe as it seems to be. It would be a dangerous move but if a proven manager was willing to take on the job..........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

I'm not sure Rory's job should be as safe as it seems to be. It would be a dangerous move but if a proven manager was willing to take on the job..........

With the way the squad is currently I really can't see anyone who you could even remotely describe as a "proven" manager willing to take on the job.

Bring back John Joe.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Murphy14

Donegal Boston won the North American championship some players there certainly worth a look if or when they return home to there Donegal clubs Mc Clenaghan,Connor, Mc Dermott,Noctor,Gallagher & Smith and of course If Rory Kavanagh could be coaxed back

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭scottmcb04

Murphy14 wrote: »
    Donegal Boston won the North American championship some players there certainly worth a look if or when they return home to there Donegal clubs Mc Clenaghan,Connor, Mc Dermott,Noctor,Gallagher & Smith and of course If Rory Kavanagh could be coaxed back

they won boston just, north americans this weekend!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Murphy14

scottmcb04 wrote: »
    they won boston just, north americans this weekend!

Your right jumping the gun a bit !

Advertisement