Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Donegal GAA Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Murphy14

scottmcb04 wrote: »
    they won boston just, north americans this weekend!

Your right jumping the gun a bit !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

Good to see Declan getting a chance to continue working with the lads moving up to U21 level.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

Ceist_Beag wrote: »
    Good to see Declan getting a chance to continue working with the lads moving up to U21 level.

Aye it's the right move.

No fault to Maxi but where were we going.

Decent championship draw too.

Off the top of my bap;

Kilcar v Donegal town

St Michaels v Malin

Glenswilly v Eunans

Glenties v Termon

(I think!)

Aye, home teams are probably favourites but Glenswilly v Eunans should be a good clash. Fair play to Malin making it to the last 8.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Murphy14

Best candidate for sure having worked with many of the lads over the last two years at minor level seems to have good structures in place ... One fault dissapointed with his tactics or lack of against Derry in semi final, but hopefully we can have a fruitful ulster u-21 championship campaign

Aye, home teams are probably favourites but Glenswilly v Eunans should be a good clash. Fair play to Malin making it to the last 8.

As long as Eunans don't win it i'm not fussed.

Kilcar are an odd bunch. Never know what to make of them come championship , always flatter to deceive. They're on then back of a few good years at underage and also won the league and the AI Gaelteacht last year. They've enough talent (McBrearty x 2, McHugh x 2 to name but 4) to make a good fist of it but I won't be holding my breath.

They're waiting a long time for one but it'd be great to see St Michaels/Malin/Termon win it.

Would love to see Michaels win it for Christy and Colm, and they're going quite well so who knows. If I were a betting man (which I'm not so you can probably take that into account with my prediction! :) ) I would be looking at Glenties at this point as my favourites.

Would love to see Michaels win it for Christy and Colm, and they're going quite well so who knows. If I were a betting man (which I'm not so you can probably take that into account with my prediction! :) ) I would be looking at Glenties at this point as my favourites.

Is the semi an open draw?

And agree totally re Michaels. Would really love to see it the more I think about. I'm a paid up member to th Christy Toye fan club though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Any upsets likely this weekend?

I read that Colm Anthony went off injured for Michaels. Malin any value at 4/1?

• Advertisement

Redsoxfan wrote: »
    Any upsets likely this weekend?

No. Bar myabe Malin.

They are all pretty much cut and dried. Glen v Eunans is the only one that's probably on a fairly level keel before the game.

Redsoxfan wrote: »
    I read that Colm Anthony went off injured for Michaels. Malin any value at 4/1?

Due to play from what I've heard.

Malin are the only outsider I considered doing.They're on the back of a cracking result in Gaoth Dobhair and alot of their men have trod this path before when they knocked out Eunans 2 (iirc) years ago in the QF.

They've been hopeless in the league but didn't Killybegs get to the final in 2013 having not won a single league game all year.

It's worth a punt but Michael's have been flying this year and are justifiable favourites. Christy and McElhinney in the middle is formidable to say the least and then they've Colm Anthony upfront.

All that being said, I'm going to have a flutter on Malin for the craic. Hoping that 1) Walsh picks up McFadden. 2) Bradley has a plan to negate Michael's midfield. Not expecting anything back, wouldn't say it's value given both team's respective form but worth a bit.

Well that went well. :D

Malin trounced.

As an aside, 6.30 on a Sunday is a ridiculous time for championship.

Eunans beat Glenswilly.

Semi final: Glenties v Kilcar, Eunans v Michaels

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Alvin Holler

Should be good matches, those four teams (along with Glenswilly) are a well ahead of the rest.

Hopefully St Michael's beat Eunan's. Be nice to see Kilcar win as well.

League fixtures out:

Saturday, January 30th, 7pm Down v Donegal

Sunday, February 7th, 2pm Donegal v Cork

Sunday, February 28th, 2pm Donegal v Mayo

Sunday, March 6th, tbc Kerry v Donegal

Sunday, March 13th, tbc Donegal v Roscommon

Saturday, March 26th, 7pm Dublin v Donegal

Sunday, April 2nd, 3pm Monaghan v Donegal

Could do with picking up at least 4 points in the first three games if we want to stay up but the most important thing is blooding some new players.

League fixtures out:

Saturday, January 30th, 7pm Down v Donegal

Sunday, February 7th, 2pm Donegal v Cork

Sunday, February 28th, 2pm Donegal v Mayo

Sunday, March 6th, tbc Kerry v Donegal

Sunday, March 13th, tbc Donegal v Roscommon

Saturday, March 26th, 7pm Dublin v Donegal

Sunday, April 2nd, 3pm Monaghan v Donegal

Could do with picking up at least 4 points in the first three games if we want to stay up but the most important thing is blooding some new players.

Away to Kerry and Dublin again.

I'm not fussed as it's a weekend away but these things should be alternated. Same as Cork having to traipse up to Ballyshannon two years in a row. Not very fair.

It's a case of beating Down, Cork, Roscommon and then seeing what everyone else is at. That being said with our panel we'd be better off writing the thing off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Away to Kerry and Dublin again.

I'm not fussed as it's a weekend away but these things should be alternated. Same as Cork having to traipse up to Ballyshannon two years in a row. Not very fair.

2016 is the start of another 2 year cycle of games, so the home and away fixtures are not going to be the exact opposite of 2015.

ProudDUB wrote: »
    2016 is the start of another 2 year cycle of games, so the home and away fixtures are not going to be the exact opposite of 2015.

Cheers.

edit* and all the best for Sunday. Couldn't care less who wins, hoping for a repeat of the 2013 semi.

Murphy has ruled himself out of the international rules.

Can't say I'm arsed, good news for us. This will be the biggest break he's had for some time now glenswilly are out, only a few league games left and they're Pretty much safe too.

• Advertisement

Good on him. Despite the fact the players like it, I think the international rules is a waste of time and would be happier if none of our lads were involved in it.

Good on him. Despite the fact the players like it, I think the international rules is a waste of time and would be happier if none of our lads were involved in it.

It's a load of shíte. Great honour for him to captain the country but big odds really.

I'd have the club championship ahead of it in terms of priorities myself.

Anyone in Ballybofey today?

Aodh Ruadh beat Milford in the intermediate.

Eunans beat michaels :rolleyes:

Draw for the intermediate pits Aodh Ruadh (Ballyshannon) against Bundoran. Should be some viewing that.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,212 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Anyone in Ballybofey today?

Aodh Ruadh beat Milford in the intermediate.

Eunans beat michaels :rolleyes:

Draw for the intermediate pits Aodh Ruadh (Ballyshannon) against Bundoran. Should be some viewing that.

Bundoran v Ballyshannon. I don`t envy the officials in charge of that one :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,926 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Murphy has ruled himself out of the international rules.

Can't say I'm arsed, good news for us. This will be the biggest break he's had for some time now glenswilly are out, only a few league games left and they're Pretty much safe too.

I have a question re: Murphy, and I don't want to start a full thread for it in GAA in general, as I really only want Donegal folks opinion on it.

I wouldn't be a big follower of GAA, but I can appreciate how good a plyer MM is. Thing is, I am wondering how much better he could be if he played for a different county?

By this I mean that over the years, due to Donegals tactics, he often plays out of position and does 'a job for the team'. It wouldn't be too often we would see him played in his best role, like in the final v Mayo, when he was unstoppable.

So would like Donegal fans opinions of just how good do you think MM could be if he played for a team like Dublin, or a team with a more open approach to the game? And was always played in his favoured position?

Do you think his legacy will be hampered and dulled a bit by playing in such a tactically defensive set-up? Could be have the potential to go down as a GAA legend if he was given more freedom and suported better?

NIMAN wrote: »
    I have a question re: Murphy, and I don't want to start a full thread for it in GAA in general, as I really only want Donegal folks opinion on it.

I wouldn't be a big follower of GAA, but I can appreciate how good a plyer MM is. Thing is, I am wondering how much better he could be if he played for a different county?

By this I mean that over the years, due to Donegals tactics, he often plays out of position and does 'a job for the team'. It wouldn't be too often we would see him played in his best role, like in the final v Mayo, when he was unstoppable.

So would like Donegal fans opinions of just how good do you think MM could be if he played for a team like Dublin, or a team with a more open approach to the game? And was always played in his favoured position?

Do you think his legacy will be hampered and dulled a bit by playing in such a tactically defensive set-up? Could be have the potential to go down as a GAA legend if he was given more freedom and suported better?

He's the best I've seen in a Donegal shirt. And he's only turned 25. Martin Beag is the next best.

His best position is at 14 everybody knows that but circumstances are as they are with the way Ulster is, and Donegal's deficiencies in key areas he is forced out the field, again, because of how good he is.

He is in my view the most complete player in the country, if he played inside for the Dubs he would be devastating given the movement of their forwards and the space available to them for the most part.

I don't think his legacy will be 'hampered' as such, anyone with a set of eyes can see how talented he is. But I do think if he played for Dublin let's say he would be held in the same view as someone like Gooch- as the best player of his generation. Which he is.

Donegal get negative treatment too across the board from pundits and (largely clueless) spectators which doesn't help.

This is often discussed on here too about him not playing at 14 all the time, the general accepted consensus is that you'd see a much reduced Donegal and a slightly improved Murphy. It's almost pointless in Ulster, he just won't get on the ball.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,926 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

To be fair, I would rarely hear pundits slag of Michael, they are usually fairly positive. Maybe its because they know he isn't playing in his best role and allow him for that.

From someone who is outside of GAA looking in, the idea that possibly the best full forward in the country isn't played in his best position just sounds daft. The rest of the team should be built around him, he shouldn't have to move to suit the team's game.

Thats like saying to Luis Suarez "we know you're a fantastic goalscorer but we are going to play you in midfield".

Glenties through to the final.

Glenties through to the final.

• Advertisement

NIMAN wrote: »
    To be fair, I would rarely hear pundits slag of Michael, they are usually fairly positive. Maybe its because they know he isn't playing in his best role and allow him for that.

From someone who is outside of GAA looking in, the idea that possibly the best full forward in the country isn't played in his best position just sounds daft. The rest of the team should be built around him, he shouldn't have to move to suit the team's game.

Thats like saying to Luis Suarez "we know you're a fantastic goalscorer but we are going to play you in midfield".

Or maybe like asking Steven Gerrard to play on right midfield ;):p

Advertisement