Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Donegal GAA Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

NIMAN wrote: »
    To be fair, I would rarely hear pundits slag of Michael, they are usually fairly positive. Maybe its because they know he isn't playing in his best role and allow him for that.

From someone who is outside of GAA looking in, the idea that possibly the best full forward in the country isn't played in his best position just sounds daft. The rest of the team should be built around him, he shouldn't have to move to suit the team's game.

Thats like saying to Luis Suarez "we know you're a fantastic goalscorer but we are going to play you in midfield".

A FF is very dependent on ball in, then you've maybe 3 or 4 marking him so what's the percentage of ball he'll actually win?

Its similar to the Aidan O'Shea dilemma this year, Donaghy a few years back, a good defensive set up can do damage limitation on it.

The other thing is, with a player like that teams often rely too much on the FF and don't mix it up as much as they really should. Sean Cavanagh at his beat in 08 was used to very good effect that season, moved between a FF and midfield role and IIRC it was from midfield/half forward he won that AI final from in those last 10 minutes.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

Thoughts on the above.

Embarrassing from the County Board. This obviously hasn't just been sprung on them in that article. They won't be long sorting out those holidays now. This isn't like the old days where there'd be division. McGuinness says jump, the county says how high. I'll be shocked if there's anyone taking the County Board's side in this or giving them any sympathy.

Good on Jim for waiting until everything has been set aside too in terms of the football. If he says he isn't going to do something (intrude) he won't. Phenomenal man.

The County Board need to release a statement too, sort this out and put it to bed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Thoughts on the above.

Overall, if true it's just sad that people who give so much are treated so poorly.

I can never understand this type of thinking, people who never put in such efforts who decide the value of anothers sacrifice.

Not a local issue at all unfortunately

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭intellectual dosser

I don't blame Jim for doing it but...

The issue will be sorted quickly, but Jim's article won't be quickly forgotten.

Regardless of who the blame lies with the Donegal County Board dont come out of it looking too good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,223 ✭✭✭overshoot

County Boards response is a bit, well politician like... Donegal News
    CLG Dhún na nGall wishes to clarify its position regarding the 2014 players and management teams holiday,” it read. “CLG Dhún na nGall correctly followed all guidelines as issued by Croke Park to Donegal County Committee regarding holidays and are satisfied that the holiday was organised fully in accordance with those guidelines as has been confirmed by Croke Park.”

Basically the holiday itself was done right & not commenting on the vouchers themselves can be taken as - no the people who missed it have not been offered vouchers.
    Edit: thats the full press release from Donegalgaa.ie the DN had up/posted above.

overshoot wrote: »
    County Boards response is a bit, well politician like... Donegal News

Basically the holiday itself was done right & not commenting on the vouchers themselves can be taken as - no the people who missed it have not been offered vouchers.
    Edit: thats the full press release from Donegalgaa.ie the DN had up/posted above.

They're a joke.

Hopefully now the county board get a hounding from the press.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,963 ✭✭✭doc_17

Either they should be offered vouchers or they shouldn't.

I'm sure any protocols that Croke Park sent down had instructions on what to do if people could not go. So if the CB followed them then they will see themselves as having done nothing wrong.

Not that I'm defending them by the way

in fairness given jims article specifically addresses it saying
    But the information I obtained from Croke Park is that if you couldn’t attend a team holiday, then you are entitled to a voucher for whatever the holiday was worth.

and the county board merely say
    the holiday was organised in accordance with guidelines
    Im siding with Jim in that he has actually addressed the actual issue of the vouchers

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Murphy14

Good old county board they quote rules that suit themselves yet mess about with club fixtures give them the lads their holiday vouchers it's the least they deserve for their efforts and commitment to Donegal Gaa

• Advertisement

Good old county board they quote rules that suit themselves yet mess about with club fixtures give them the lads their holiday vouchers it's the least they deserve for their efforts and commitment to Donegal Gaa

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Ryan McHugh nominated for YPOTY.

Durcan, Frank, Ryan, Neil Gallagher and Murphy all nominated for All Stars. Imagine that'll be as far as it goes.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Don't think they've done enough.

Papa has a bit of a case, although Kealy should get it.

Thought Frank was excellent this year, but the half back line is strong. McCaffery was outstanding this year, O'Sullivan was important for the dubs, Keegan is always tipping around there and that's just the first three off my head.

Murphy won't get in although again, his winning of the game v Tyrone, his display of control v Armagh, long range scores v Derry, exhibition against Galway, and his 8 (iirc) against Mayo. Couldn't really grumble, he's probably the best player in the game at the moment. If you really look at it there's not a whole lot to suggest McManus should be in ahead of him bar the Ulster final in which Murphy was carrying a heavily knock. McManus' performance in that is overstated somewhat I feel although he was the critical component in Monaghan winning.

There's been plenty ahead of Big Neil too.

McHugh shouldn't be in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

Pretty much in full agreement there Nidge. I'm very surprised Ryan got a nomination for YPOTY ahead of Mark Bradley.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭shrewdness

Murphy won't get in although again, his winning of the game v Tyrone, his display of control v Armagh, long range scores v Derry, exhibition against Galway, and his 8 (iirc) against Mayo. Couldn't really grumble, he's probably the best player in the game at the moment. If you really look at it there's not a whole lot to suggest McManus should be in ahead of him bar the Ulster final in which Murphy was carrying a heavily knock. McManus' performance in that is overstated somewhat I feel although he was the critical component in Monaghan winning.

I'd say McManus has more than done enough to warrant an all star, especially in a year where most of the contenders did nothing much from the semis onwards, Brogan aside(Andrews too to be fair but it seems like he'll be overlooked). MOTM in a successful Ulster final is definitely the clincher, if the roles that day were reversed then Murphy would be in the team for sure.

If Murphy was to get in I'd say it would be more at the expense of O'Shea, but he's a bit of a media darling so seems to be nailed on. There shouldn't be much between those two imo yet most people have AOS as a cert.

I do wish Cass could just shut his trap when it comes to McGuinness, he really is embarrassing at this stage.

Ceist_Beag wrote: »
    Pretty much in full agreement there Nidge. I'm very surprised Ryan got a nomination for YPOTY ahead of Mark Bradley.

I'm in anti McHugh mode at the moment I feel. T'older McHugh has pissed me off no end this year.

Glad I'm not being unduly harsh on wee Ryan!

I do wish Cass could just shut his trap when it comes to McGuinness, he really is embarrassing at this stage.

What's he said now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

What's he said now?

I saw the headline in Gaelic Life 'McGuinness holiday stance labelled hypocritical.' I wont be clicking into the article as I think we can safely assume its complete scutter. The man has zero credibility

• Advertisement

I saw the headline in Gaelic Life 'McGuinness holiday stance labelled hypocritical.' I wont be clicking into the article as I think we can safely assume its complete scutter. The man has zero credibility

:o

He's fast becoming an embarrassment.

it doesnt go into anymore detail than "pot kettle black"
    maybe jim told him he was off the trip & couldnt have a voucher!

He basically claimed that Jim refused to let Kevin & his wife on a holiday back in 2011 so he's calling Jim a hypocrite. We don't know why he was refused, we don't know if Jim was right to refuse, it really doesn't matter. The media are happy to run with the headline of Cass calling Jim a hypocrite so once more Cass has put himself out there as a bitter little man with a massive chip on his shoulder over Jim. He hasn't the slightest clue about how to conduct himself in the media. At this stage I doubt he will ever learn and the media will eventually tire of going back to him for soundbites on Jim.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Why? Is he not 100% correct?

McGuinness dumped Cassidy for speaking to the media and didn't allow him a holiday he worked hard for and was entitled too.

Now McGuinness is bleating in the media about not getting a holiday that he worked hard for and was entitled to.

I'm no expert, but that sure sounds like hypocrisy to me.

We don't know is the simple answer. Cass did not go into detail on the circumstances so all we have is his word and tbh I've heard enough from him in the past few years to know that his word is very heavily saturated in bile towards Jim.

McGuinness dumped Cassidy for speaking to the media and didn't allow him a holiday he worked hard for and was entitled too.

Now McGuinness is bleating in the media about not getting a holiday that he worked hard for and was entitled to.

I'm no expert, but that sure sounds like hypocrisy to me.

McGuinness' complaint was about people from the 2014 squad who couldn't go on the team holiday and not getting compensation. It was as you've touched on about people not getting rewarded for all their effort. It wasn't about him, it was about his players and staff.

Cassidy was part of the 2011 squad, for obvious reasons he wouldn't/shouldn't have gone on the holiday considering the holiday took place after the fall out between him and the manager. It would have been disastrous and detrimental to the team.

I'm sure Cassidy was eligible for compensation in other ways which is what Jim's article was really about, people who didn't make a holiday not being compensated.

Kevin has zero credibility. He clearly harbours resentment towards Jim and by association towards Donegal. It's just really sad. Maybe he had a notion in his head about his importance. We haven't missed him one jot, that might annoy him. Who knows. I can guarantee you part of him would be hoping Donegal got beat under Jim.

He needs to grow up and stop acting like a petty menstrual teenager. His reputation in Donegal at the moment couldn't be lower and that's a shame for somebody who contributed so much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

That you both keep resorting to slagging off Cassidy says a lot, why the need to keep attacking his credibility? I don't care about his credibility or what you personally think of him, I'm only looking at the clear facts of what he was talking about.

Forget the baggage and look at what he actually says. Despite all he did for you he got dumped from the squad because of media work, now McGuinness is using the media to further his own points. He worked as hard as anybody for Donegal but didn't get the reward of a holiday, now McGuinness is crying that people who worked hard aren't getting holidays.

You might not like the guy at all but right is right, and he appears to be totally right in stating that yes, McGuinness is being hugely hypocritical in this instance.

The things is though, Cass has not provided enough detail for us to be able to know if Jim was hypocritical or not. For example do we know if Kevin was offered a holiday voucher or not? He doesn't say.
    If he was denied the holiday and if he was not offered a voucher and if as a result he received nothing in exchange then yes, Jim can be accused of double standards there. However it seems Kevin is always ready to get a dig in at every opportunity and sure the media know this and love it. I think most Donegal people wish he would just move on at this point.

That you both keep resorting to slagging off Cassidy says a lot, why the need to keep attacking his credibility? I don't care about his credibility or what you personally think of him, I'm only looking at the clear facts of what he was talking about.

Forget the baggage and look at what he actually says. Despite all he did for you he got dumped from the squad because of media work, now McGuinness is using the media to further his own points. He worked as hard as anybody for Donegal but didn't get the reward of a holiday, now McGuinness is crying that people who worked hard aren't getting holidays.

You might not like the guy at all but right is right, and he appears to be totally right in stating that yes, McGuinness is being hugely hypocritical in this instance.

McGuinness' complaint is that people who did not go on the holiday following the 2014 final have not been compensated. You have failed to make this distinction.

Cassidy did not go on the holiday following the 2011 season. Had McGuinness blocked compensation in lieu (and ensuring 'no reward for his hard work') then he would be hypocritical.

We don't know whether this has happened, but you would doubt it. I can't remember if Cass went on the team holiday in 2006 having being kicked off the panel, I'll find out. It's a similar scenario though.

And Cassidy's credibility goes straight to the heart of this. He has form for coming out with sensationalist undercooked drivel and especially with regards to Jim.

And on the contrary, this isn't about me not liking Cassidy (I know him on a personal level and he is a very decent guy), It's about him talking shit and letting himself down. Again.

• Advertisement

And on the contrary, this isn't about me not liking Cassidy (I know him on a personal level and he is a very decent guy), It's about him talking shit and letting himself down. Again.

Exactly that. Cass is a good lad and was a hell of a player - this is not about liking him or not. In fact it's precisely because I think he's a good lad that I wish he would shut up about Jim as it's only himself he is letting down each time he starts.

Advertisement