Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Donegal GAA Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 554 ✭✭✭RMDrive

Cass received a voucher in lieu of his holiday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭2moreMinutes

Tbh, I've absolutely no idea why this whole holiday story had to be published in a national paper anyway.
    It seems that Jim's angle in writing it now was due to it being the season for county panels to be planning their holidays but at the same time, I'm sure he could have written an article that more than a handful of people in Donegal would actually care about.
    He'll have plenty of time in the coming months to get whatever gripes he has with the Co Board off his chest during his book publicity tour.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Durcan played well tonight in the Dublin championship. Popped up to take a free towards the end, but missed, he seems to have lost weight.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

Stoner wrote: »
    Durcan played well tonight in the Dublin championship. Popped up to take a free towards the end, but missed, he seems to have lost weight.

He won't be long finding it. He winters well does Papa. :D

Cheers for the update. What stage are things at with him and Ballyboden St.Endas?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Cheers for the update. What stage are things at with him and Ballyboden St.Endas?

They won tonight, closed it out well.

Brogan brothers on song as Plunkett’s and Ballyboden march on in Dublin http://the42.ie/2365818

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Stoner wrote:

Time wasting. He's never been a good free taker.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭harpsman

RMDrive wrote: »
    Cass received a voucher in lieu of his holiday.

Well if thats true then he's talking complete rubbish. He was dropped from the panel for a breach of the disciplinary code which he had signed up to. Did he expect to go on the team holiday after this? If he was given a voucher in lieu then he was treated more than fairly.

harpsman wrote: »
    Well if thats true then he's talking complete rubbish. He was dropped from the panel for a breach of the disciplinary code which he had signed up to. Did he expect to go on the team holiday after this? If he was given a voucher in lieu then he was treated more than fairly.

He's been whinging about Gaoth Dobhair now in Gaelic Life and the McGuinness thing was tagged on at the end.

As has been said. Zero credibility.

Donegal Daily (I know, I know) are reporting that Michael Boyle has done his cruciate.

Well isn't that just great timing. Feel for the lad if true.

McGinley number 1, not ideal.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Murt15

Donegal Daily (I know, I know) are reporting that Michael Boyle has done his cruciate.

Well isn't that just great timing. Feel for the lad if true.

McGinley number 1, not ideal.

Maybe Danny Rodgers Dungloe.

Word is that Gary Mc Daid has stepped away from the back room team.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,223 ✭✭✭overshoot

with DD i wouldnt be surprised if it turned out to be a stubbed toe

Murt15 wrote: »
    Maybe Danny Rodgers Dungloe.

Word is that Gary Mc Daid has stepped away from the back room team.

Aye, a fine prospect, still a bit young though. Although when you think about it id probably rather fire him in then one of the others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

The Michael Boyle injury story is true - confirmed to Donegal Sport Hub by Rory on the latest podcast.

A big enough blow with Durcan seemingly taking a break. And Jigger out for the year. Thin panel...

Rogers had a very mixed year last year. It's hard to hold him fully accountable for some of the kickouts we saw in fairness.

I have never seen McGinley in action. I don't approve of the tights...

And yes, Gary McDaid is gone. No surprise with 3 under 3.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,256 ✭✭✭LeoB

Ceist_Beag wrote: »
    We don't know is the simple answer. Cass did not go into detail on the circumstances so all we have is his word and tbh I've heard enough from him in the past few years to know that his word is very heavily saturated in bile towards Jim.

I took Cassidys side from day 1.

If people are unsure or dont know of the full details why hammer Cassidy? I think he was poorly treated. His word is as good as Jimmy's in my view and he has every right to feel huge anger towards Jim.

As one former panelist said we might now have 2 All-Irelands had Cassidy been on board the squad.

Anyway how is the club championship going.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Alvin Holler

LeoB wrote: »

Eunan's will probably win it again:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,124 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

If people are unsure or dont know of the full details why hammer Cassidy? I think he was poorly treated. His word is as good as Jimmy's in my view and he has every right to feel huge anger towards Jim.

As one former panelist said we might now have 2 All-Irelands had Cassidy been on board the squad.

We do have two All Irelands

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

Alternatively, we may not have won in 2012 with him in the team, unlikely, but we're talking about hypothetical situations. And you may be right about the anger, but when exactly is he going to get over it? Every single opportunity he gets, he has a go at Jim

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭jjdonegal

We might have easily still have 1 AIrl. Thompson, McGlynn, etc really stepped up in the aftermath of his departure. Was no gurantee we'd have won it in 2012 with Cassidy.
    Anyway he is a bit of an embarrassment now in my opinion - was shown up managing Gweedore and was having pops at the club this week about a crisis which he helped manufacture.
    Eamon McGee called him out brilliantny on his own club commitment a few months ago.
    His criticism of Jim for not winning at least 2 AIrls was quite simply laughable considering what he inherited and where he brought us.
    Anyway onwards and upwards, we can speculate all we want but I wudn change a thing from 2012 if I could and that includes bringing Cassidy back.

We play the winners of Fermanagh/Antrim in the quarter final.

Play the winners of Monaghan v Down in the semi should we get through that.

Obviously Monaghan on our side isn't ideal but it's a much nicer draw than last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

I'll take that draw, its not too bad at all. No preliminary round, Antrim are probably ranked 9 in Ulster, and despite last years heroics, I still put around 5 teams ahead of Fermanagh. If we both get through, hopefully we can play Monaghan in a neutral venue too.

Long winter ahead, but at least we can prepare to ease ourselves into the championship a little bit more next year

• Advertisement

Yeah, I'd definitely take that. This year we had to peak for big games in May and the start of June.

Next year, all going well, we can focus on being ready for late June and July.

Well done Naomh Conaill.

Aaron Thompson my motm. Thought Leo and Brick were both excellent.

Nice to see them do it. Pretty scrappy, especially in the 2nd half, was surprised how Eunan's fell apart once they had an extra man.

McLoone really inspired them in the last twenty minutes and was my man of the match. Thought Ciaran Thompson and Rory Carr showed some nice touches of the younger players. Ethan O'Donnell did well when he came on too.

. Ethan O'Donnell did well when he came on too.

He's a player. Been very impressed every time ive seen him. Still very scrawny and could do with filling out but hope to see him contribute to the 21's this year.

As an aside, the decision to disallow Leo's goal was atrocious I felt. He's usually a good ref too albeit a bit of a dose.

Anyone in Glenties last night?

Jim is in the Abbey bookstore in Donegal town on Sunday then somewhere in Leterrkenny.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭bob skunkhouse

Is this not a bit hypocritical of the man given his past - rule with an iron fist approach? http://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2015/1101/738931-gallagher-criticises-mcguinness-revelations/

Given that RG is still in the job and 90% of the players still in the panel from his days, it doesn't look great.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

Not sure it's hypocritical but I can certainly see Rory's point. Unfortunately it's the way of things with everyone bringing out a book when the dust has barely settled on the stories within the book. Personally I hate to see lads cash in on their story so quickly as is the norm these days. But once he decided to go ahead with the book I don't see how he could have left this story out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭bob skunkhouse

Off course he could have, no more than Alex Ferguson didn't include everything in his first book. I'd nearly bet my house - or should I say the banks house - that he'll have another book out in ten years or so. He should have thought about the incumbents within the senior team and let them concentrate on 2016 with as little a confrontation as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

Off course he could have, no more than Alex Ferguson didn't include everything in his first book.

Jim had 4 years in charge - I don't think we can quite equate him to Fergies reign! He may well have another book out in 10 years time but I very much doubt he could get 2 books out of a 4 year reign as Donegal manager! As I said, personally I think he could have held off a number of years before bringing out his book but obviously cash came before any moral or ethical concerns for Jim on this one. He's not the first and won't be the last to have done this.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 889 ✭✭✭opiniated

Is this not a bit hypocritical of the man given his past - rule with an iron fist approach? http://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2015/1101/738931-gallagher-criticises-mcguinness-revelations/

Given that RG is still in the job and 90% of the players still in the panel from his days, it doesn't look great.

I thought it was very hypocritical. Not to mention extremely tactless.
    Didn't Cassidy get thrown off the squad for telling tales?
    Ceist_Beag wrote: »
    Jim had 4 years in charge - I don't think we can quite equate him to Fergies reign! He may well have another book out in 10 years time but I very much doubt he could get 2 books out of a 4 year reign as Donegal manager! As I said, personally I think he could have held off a number of years before bringing out his book but obviously cash came before any moral or ethical concerns for Jim on this one. He's not the first and won't be the last to have done this.

All I can say is that I have a lot less regard for Jim McGuinness after this. He could have been more tactful, as a bare minimum. It smacks of deliberately trying to publicly humiliate Rory Gallagher.
    It's disappointing, to say the least.

Advertisement