Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Donegal GAA Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭davegrohl48

Read the book. McGuinness does seem to invent little things to build a point of view.
    - Monaghan players goading Michael Murphy after the final whistle. I can't imagine that happened, during play maybe but for players to do that after the whistle, doubt it.
    - That there was no other defender to cover Paul Geaney. Not mentioning Karl Lacy could have covered ODonoghue releasing one of the McGees to mark 6'1" Geaney instead of being marked by Paddy Mcgrath.
    - The 2014 final in general is described as a vague blip of form. Selecting young OConnor and the Geaney mismatch handed away the game in the first half. By contrast the Dublin match is described at length. Would have preferred a bit more fair handed account of the final. He got two major selections wrong.
    In general a good book though. Some of the Glenties tales are great.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

opiniated wrote: »
    It smacks of deliberately trying to publicly humiliate Rory Gallagher.
    It's disappointing, to say the least.

Does it? Or is it just an account of what happened?

I know who I am inclined to believe out of Jim and Rory for what it's worth.

Not convinced by the "But sure Cassidy did that" nonsense either. Cassidy broke ranks and breached discipline during his involvement with the panel. Its a year down the line. McGuinness is out, that particular 'unit' ceased to be the minute he left. It's history now, would have been hypocritical had he released a book after the AI win for example.

I hope he makes a fortune off it myself, the very least that man deserves for what he did for our county.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 889 ✭✭✭opiniated

Does it? Or is it just an account of what happened?

I know who I am inclined to believe out of Jim and Rory for what it's worth.

Not convinced by the "But sure Cassidy did that" nonsense either. Cassidy broke ranks and breached discipline during his involvement with the panel. Its a year down the line. McGuinness is out, that particular 'unit' ceased to be the minute he left. It's history now, would have been hypocritical had he released a book after the AI win for example.

I hope he makes a fortune off it myself, the very least that man deserves for what he did for our county.

I'm not convinced by the argument that the unit ceased to be when Jim McGuinness left. Much of that unit is still very much in existence.

I think he could have given an account of what happened, without actually stating that he sacked Rory Gallagher. I don't actually care which of them is telling the truth, although I suspect it's probably Jim McGuinness - I just think he could have been a little more considerate, whether himself and Rory Gallagher are still talking, or not.

We'll just have to agree to disagree, although, like you, I hope Jim makes a fortune from his book.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,223 ✭✭✭overshoot

I'm not convinced by the argument that the unit ceased to be when Jim McGuinness left. Much of that unit is still very much in existence.
    Id agree, for me its a kind of a moral issue - pretty much everyone is still there, he shouldnt have gone on his tell all as the 'unit' is still too intact and its so recent.
    However, if you go to the letter of the law, he is out and no responsibilities (Cassidy at least doesnt have this argument, so there is a bit of a difference)

In the end lets face it, we knew McGuinness was ruthless, if he waited a few years there wouldnt have been the same interest in the book as today.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

overshoot wrote: »
    if he waited a few years there wouldnt have been the same interest in the book as today.

I don't really buy that argument myself. It's very possible that the Jim era will look even better as the next few years pass.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭holyhead

Haven't read Jim McGuinness's book. But am curious as to why he and Rory Gallagher fell out. Is it over the fact that Gallagher was removed by McGuinness or the way it was done. It's a shame considering what they achieved pulling in the one direction for Donegal that they no longer speak.
    Most successful manager's are ruthless. I would agree with McGuinness re Kevin Cassidy. While the player's career was live then contributing to a book should have been off limits and Cassidy should have had the wherewithall to realise this. Boundaries are boundaries but are pointless unless enforced.

I think he could have given an account of what happened, without actually stating that he sacked Rory Gallagher. I don't actually care which of them is telling the truth, although I suspect it's probably Jim McGuinness - I just think he could have been a little more considerate, whether himself and Rory Gallagher are still talking, or not.

We'll just have to agree to disagree, although, like you, I hope Jim makes a fortune from his book.

I don't understand this. Why should he tip toe around it. If what is described in the book is how it is (and I believe it to be) why not just say it?

He wanted a change, he got rid of Rory. Gallagher is a big boy and can handle it. I'm saddened slightly by the personal breakdown between the two but shít happens.

I take your point on the unit btw. What I meant was that era was folded up and stuck into the attic. New management team etc, I consider them to be totally seperate albeit with the same players.

Totally unrelated. Tyrone press talking bollocks, quelle surprise.

http://teamtalkmag.com/2015/11/exclusive-confirmation-minor-sledging-never-happened/

The phrase "always the victims" springs to mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭harpsman

Totally unrelated. Tyrone press talking bollocks, quelle surprise.

http://teamtalkmag.com/2015/11/exclusive-confirmation-minor-sledging-never-happened/

The phrase "always the victims" springs to mind.
    So did the Ulster Council make a statement?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

harpsman wrote: »
    So did the Ulster Council make a statement?

They made this very clear statement earlier

http://www.highlandradio.com/2015/11/04/ulster-council-release-statement-on-tyrone-donegal-alleged-sledging-report//

• Advertisement

What a farce. Nothin to see here folks. People will have to make up their own minds based on the character and past behaviour of the parties involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

more here - http://www.donegaldaily.com/2015/11/04/gaa-report-into-alleged-verbal-abuse-of-donegal-minor-star-to-remain-secret/ - I have to say the GAA have a way to go to address these types of issue. Tyrone really let themselves down with the way they handled this from the very start. At the end of it all we have a young lad who not only was subjected to this abuse but who will never now be vindicated for reporting the abuse after. It doesn't exactly encourage others to do the same in the future.

Ceist_Beag wrote: »
    more here - http://www.donegaldaily.com/2015/11/04/gaa-report-into-alleged-verbal-abuse-of-donegal-minor-star-to-remain-secret/ - I have to say the GAA have a way to go to address these types of issue. Tyrone really let themselves down with the way they handled this from the very start. At the end of it all we have a young lad who not only was subjected to this abuse but who will never now be vindicated for reporting the abuse after. It doesn't exactly encourage others to do the same in the future.

It doesn't.

I wonder, though, if the GAA ever stop to consider how this affects young players (or, more accurately, their parents) when they decide how much time to invest in the game.

I've a child who plays both soccer and gaelic, and it's not always easy to balance school and sport.

When I read the report that Tyrone had been exonerated last night, I was fully intent on removing Gaelic from the schedule, purely because I know for a fact that the incident did happen, and I couldn't see any good reason to continue with a sport where the ruling council could be so unfair.

Needless to say, following todays report, GAA is back on the schedule, although with some reservations, tbh.

We would also highlight that recent media reports regarding the investigation do not accurately reflect the findings of the Committee.

Says it all for me.

If it walks like a tramp, talks like a tramp and looks like a tramp.......... it plays for Tyrone. :p [That comment is tounge in cheek before the hypersensitive gang/censors roll into town.]

In all seriousness, issues at all grades with Tyrone last year. The sledging in the minor, the palava around the U-21 final and then the less said about the seniors the better. They seem to have a victim mentality. Unable to take any critiscm or admit wrongdoing. It's tiresome and they are almost becoming a parody of themselves.

I'm happy with how the Donegal and the County Board have conducted themselves with this - not often we get to say that.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭bob skunkhouse

They seem to have a victim mentality.

And right behind that Victim Mentality is the persecution complex!

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/ulster-close-book-on-unwelcome-comments-34175054.html
    "Unwelcome comments" but not about players father? Sounds like a classic plea bargain your honour

Sounds like a "Nothing to see here, move on" tactic.

Sickening.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,212 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

See A O`Se of Mayo got the All Star for full forward. Imo anyway, bull****.

In the process of reading Jim's book.

The Barry McGowan/Leitir story had me in tears.

As did the Neil McGee "Youre a fine looking doll" quip to Yvonne McGuinness at 6am. Great stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Murphy14

Brendan Kilcoyne has replaced Gary Mc Daid has a selector to Rory Gallagher that means that Donegal senior football is now being guided by Fermanagh , Westmeath and Sligo men all 3 are capable men but surely one man from the county should fill one of these roles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭ghostfacekilla

Murphy14 wrote: »
    Brendan Kilcoyne has replaced Gary Mc Daid has a selector to Rory Gallagher that means that Donegal senior football is now being guided by Fermanagh , Westmeath and Sligo men all 3 are capable men but surely one man from the county should fill one of these roles.

Rumours that Francie Friel might make the list as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,289 ✭✭✭tanko

Jim mcguinness on second captains live now, he's very touchy about kevin Cassidy and Rory Gallagher. I thought he could have handled that better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 571 ✭✭✭Figsy32

tanko wrote: »
    Jim mcguinness on second captains live now, he's very touchy about kevin Cassidy and Rory Gallagher. I thought he could have handled that better.

Great interview by McDevitt. Highlighting a little bit of hypocrisy from McGuinness regarding books and secrets. McGuinness didn't have an answer for it and just got defensive.

Figsy32 wrote: »
    Great interview by McDevitt. Highlighting a little bit of hypocrisy from McGuinness regarding books and secrets. McGuinness didn't have an answer for it and just got defensive.

Except he did have an answer for it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭2moreMinutes

Except he did have an answer for it?
    Comparing himself to Alex Ferguson wasn't really a satisfactory answer to a reasonable question. Just watched the interview now and didn't think he came across all that great in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Triboro

When do they release the official NFL fixtures for upcoming year?
    Interested in going to the Kerry v Donegal fixture. Think there's a provisional date but don't want to book till it's official!

Comparing himself to Alex Ferguson wasn't really a satisfactory answer to a reasonable question. Just watched the interview now and didn't think he came across all that great in it.

Are you actually being serious?

He wasnt comparing himself to Ferguson. He used the Ferguson retirement to qualify the situation.

I.e a manager, now gone from the set up, releasing a book.

The point of that was to spell it out for the uttter morons who think there is something comparable between the Cass book contribution and Jim's book. All of which so they can attempt to manufacture evidence for the - 'he's a hypocrite' argument.

He looked rightfully pissed off, The Cass and Gallagher events take up what, a page, if that?

The Gallagher response was consistent too. Jim's book came out, Rory responded (out of his arsehole), Jim reitterated what was said in the book on the last word and that's what he was doing last night. The account is in the book. There'll be no more public toing and froing about this or any war of words. Wished Rory and the boys well, and I can say this for nothing too, there'll be nobody happier than him if we do well.

An accusation that couldnt be levelled at Cass in 2012 or Gallagher in 2014.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Murt15

Cillian Morrison of Derry City FC and St Eunans could be in the squad for the season ahead. Similar player to Dublins Kevin Mc Menamin. Will be a good addition if things work out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭2moreMinutes

Are you actually being serious?

He wasnt comparing himself to Ferguson. He used the Ferguson retirement to qualify the situation.

I.e a manager, now gone from the set up, releasing a book.

The point of that was to spell it out for the uttter morons who think there is something comparable between the Cass book contribution and Jim's book. All of which so they can attempt to manufacture evidence for the - 'he's a hypocrite' argument.

He looked rightfully pissed off, The Cass and Gallagher events take up what, a page, if that?

The Gallagher response was consistent too. Jim's book came out, Rory responded (out of his arsehole), Jim reitterated what was said in the book on the last word and that's what he was doing last night. The account is in the book. There'll be no more public toing and froing about this or any war of words. Wished Rory and the boys well, and I can say this for nothing too, there'll be nobody happier than him if we do well.

An accusation that couldnt be levelled at Cass in 2012 or Gallagher in 2014.
    Guess I'm a complete moron then so as I think he is a hypocrite by writing the book now. Also, just because he put very little in the book doesn't mean both issues aren't big talking points about his tenure.
    The general theme of his interviews while promoting the book are that he doesn't care one bit what people on the outside think about him or his group as they know themselves what they were doing, why they did it and what they wanted to achieve through it. For someone who cares so little about what people think and who cares so much about the bond they all had, releasing a book so soon is a strange way to express it all.

• Advertisement

Guess I'm a complete moron then so as I think he is a hypocrite by writing the book now. Also, just because he put very little in the book doesn't mean both issues aren't big talking points about his tenure.
    The general theme of his interviews while promoting the book are that he doesn't care one bit what people on the outside think about him or his group as they know themselves what they were doing, why they did it and what they wanted to achieve through it. For someone who cares so little about what people think and who cares so much about the bond they all had, releasing a book so soon is a strange way to express it all.

I'd broadly agree with this, though I wouldn't have put it quite so strongly.

I wouldn't really have an issue with what he said if he had waited a few years.
    The other alternative would have been to be a little more tactful, especially if the bond they had was very strong.

I'm also a bit inclined to wonder what psychological effect it will have on the team.
    I know they're a strong group of individuals, but this kind of tell-all tactic can't be good for morale, imo.

Advertisement