Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Donegal GAA Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭LilNiall

Sounds like all bar Declan Walsh to be involved in 2016. Hope that means Thompson and McLoone all season too. Great that Lacey McGee Lacey Gallagher Toye and McFadden staying involved but think it's key some are now used as impact subs.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,212 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Are you actually being serious?

He wasnt comparing himself to Ferguson. He used the Ferguson retirement to qualify the situation.

I.e a manager, now gone from the set up, releasing a book.

The point of that was to spell it out for the uttter morons who think there is something comparable between the Cass book contribution and Jim's book. All of which so they can attempt to manufacture evidence for the - 'he's a hypocrite' argument.

He looked rightfully pissed off, The Cass and Gallagher events take up what, a page, if that?

The Gallagher response was consistent too. Jim's book came out, Rory responded (out of his arsehole), Jim reitterated what was said in the book on the last word and that's what he was doing last night. The account is in the book. There'll be no more public toing and froing about this or any war of words. Wished Rory and the boys well, and I can say this for nothing too, there'll be nobody happier than him if we do well.

An accusation that couldnt be levelled at Cass in 2012 or Gallagher in 2014.

An U21 Final, a Div 2 title, 5 Ulster Finals winning 3, 2 All Ireland Finals winning one, and if for nothing else, sitting in the Hogan Stand watching his game plan taking the "unbeatable team" apart.
    As far as I`m concerned he can write a 320 page devoted to nothing other than calling me the greatest bas**** that ever walked the earth and I would not give a tinkers damn.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,963 ✭✭✭doc_17

No changes to league structure in 2016. But playoffs gone for promotion/relegation. 2 up and 2 down automatically

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

doc_17 wrote: »
    No changes to league structure in 2016. But playoffs gone for promotion/relegation. 2 up and 2 down automatically

As it should be imo. Not in favour of giving teams an extra chance at survival. If you're in the zone- you are gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Murphy14

Glad there isn't any major changes to the league all divisions seem competitive if can know just set dates for games and stick to it there always seems to be a lack of league fixtures in July & August. Yet again we are in December and the under 21 championship is still to be run off this championship should be played over July & August

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Do the proposals to scrap the U-21 Championship apply to clubs as well?

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Murphy14 wrote: »
    Glad there isn't any major changes to the league all divisions seem competitive if can know just set dates for games and stick to it there always seems to be a lack of league fixtures in July & August. Yet again we are in December and the under 21 championship is still to be run off this championship should be played over July & August

Aodh Ruadh v Eunans has been called off twice now (maybe three times actually but I can't remember).

Pitch problems at Convoy, talk that Aodh Ruadh are happy to toss for venue, not sure about Eunans.

It could be the situation where that semi is on the Friday with the winners to play Kilcar in the final on the Sunday which would be a farce and hugely unfair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Eunans Playing in U-18 football (an Ulster tournament which isn't an official Championship as far as I know?), U-21 hurling and U-21 football. Not their fault that weather and whatever else is messing things about, but something has to give.

Castlefin was deemed unplayable last weekend but seemed that nobody that mattered in Convoy knew that they were next in line to host.

Redsoxfan wrote: »
    Eunans Playing in U-18 football (an Ulster tournament which isn't an official Championship as far as I know?), U-21 hurling and U-21 football. Not their fault that weather and whatever else is messing things about, but something has to give.

Castlefin was deemed unplayable last weekend but seemed that nobody that mattered in Convoy knew that they were next in line to host.

Forgot about that. Another spanner in the works. Playing against Slaughtneil in Belfast. It's officially 'unofficial' but still hugely important especially for the cubs themselves.

I wasn't blaming Eunans btw , absolutely not their fault. I read something somewhere (helpful eh!) that involved Mick McGrath (Ballyshannon) and somebody from Eunans- may have been Frankie Doherty, doing a coin toss but that was only for the sake of it because while Aodh Ruadh had said go for it, St Eunans's hadn't actually sanctioned it.

This competition doesn't get the treatment it deserves I feel. Always an after thought. Should be ran off in the summer when lads are at home and not away at college with everything else going on. Could go into the new year this.

Should be ran off in the summer when lads are at home and not away at college with everything else going on.

You'd get a few teams refusing to play because they would be missing County players I'm sure (Senior and possibly minor too). And, J1 etc.

Too many competitions, too much inconsistency when it comes to 'player welfare' - sometimes it's fine for a club to be asked to play two games in 24 hours, sometimes it's not.

Granted the very heavy rain isn't helping.

• Advertisement

You'd get a few teams refusing to play because they would be missing County players I'm sure (Senior and possibly minor too). And, J1 etc.

Too many competitions, too much inconsistency when it comes to 'player welfare' - sometimes it's fine for a club to be asked to play two games in 24 hours, sometimes it's not.

Granted the very heavy rain isn't helping.

I quite like the competition, fond memories of 87, but you get the feeling it isn't taken seriously, so when Duffy suggested scrapping it, its hard to defend it on practical reasons!

Maybe if the U-17 level comes in instead of minor it becomes more important.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

K-9 wrote: »
    I quite like the competition, fond memories of 87, but you get the feeling it isn't taken seriously, so when Duffy suggested scrapping it, its hard to defend it on practical reasons!

Maybe if the U-17 level comes in instead of minor it becomes more important.

I'm all for keeping it, but it's just that everything is taken so seriously these days and the calender is so full that something has to give. Look at the team Donegal have named for a challenge match this weekend - there is even an A.N. Other on the subs FFS!

I'm all for keeping it, but it's just that everything is taken so seriously these days and the calender is so full that something has to give. Look at the team Donegal have named for a challenge match this weekend - there is even an A.N. Other on the subs FFS!

Well 2 weeks would be saved by moving the AI final back, plus another 1 by removing the League S/F's, plus a couple by tightening the league schedule, so maybe it might fit in there somewhere.

A big part of the problem is the Sigerson, McKenna Cup and league games early in the year so maybe September on would be a good time, more in line with the Seniors like the hurling. I don't think its proposed to scrap it in hurling presumably because there's less senior games.

To have no level after U-17 seems odd, and its mainly down to organisational and admin stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 422 ✭✭The Assistinator

Looking at the panels for the interprovincial championship starting on Saturday not one Donegal player I know that most of the players are busy and that but you would think one of the players at least would have tried out the only Ulster team without a representative.

Challenge game on but it's disappointing, Derry still have a couple in the squad.

K-9 wrote: »
    Challenge game on but it's disappointing, Derry still have a couple in the squad.

Do you mean the DL v Derry game or the interpros?

Do you mean the DL v Derry game or the interpros?

AFAIK Derry had a couple of players in the Ulster squad whereas we'd none. Both games got cancelled anyway!

If DL players aren't pushed playing Interpro, that's fine by me.

You know what's interesting? Martin McHugh is the new Kilcar manager.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭jimbo32123

I agree Redsox, very interesting that he now the manager of Kilcar and UUJ (joint). Could he be making another run for the County job?

• Advertisement

Wonder what the expenses are like from Bavin to Towney.

Good move for them. They need a championship.

Interesting proposal by the Co. Board to shorten the period of the Ulster Championship. Makes sense, especially when the real Championship doesn't kick of to August. The idea would be to have 2 matches on some weekends so it could work. Preliminary round in particular could be played on the first weekend of the Championship along with a Q/F.

In fairness, Munster and Connacht could do with doing this especially! No reason they couldn't be run over a 6 week period.

jimbo32123 wrote: »
    I agree Redsox, very interesting that he now the manager of Kilcar and UUJ (joint). Could he be making another run for the County job?

When we talk about Martin, everything is interesting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Gael85

You know what's interesting? Martin McHugh is the new Kilcar manager.

Met McHugh in Dublin last night. A sound chap. He was saying he taking over Kilcar next year. A great appointment for club.

Gael85 wrote:
    Met McHugh in Dublin last night. A sound chap. He was saying he taking over Kilcar next year. A great appointment for club.

He stopped to talk? Jeez, you must be important! Hard man to catch is Martin.

In all fairness, will be interesting to see if he can make the difference for Kilcar.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Not that one

I'd be very interested (i know) in how his influence on the Kilcar contingent will affect the County Panel for 2016.
    Will their mental focus be more club than county for 2016.

Can a player prepare himself mentally to be fully committed to two separate teams/peaking two separate times of the year?

Mmmmm, Except The current manager came from Kilcar and was highly thought of.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭jimbo32123

Did the Challenge game go ahead at the weekend??

I'd be very interested (i know) in how his influence on the Kilcar contingent will affect the County Panel for 2016.
    Will their mental focus be more club than county for 2016.

Can a player prepare himself mentally to be fully committed to two separate teams/peaking two separate times of the year?

The older McHugh would be no loss on current form and attitude.

• Advertisement

This is a bit of a surprise, is it?

Martin Regan to step down as Naomh Conaill manager.

I wonder. I know someone from Glenties who isn't doing much these days. Not since he finished promoting his book.

Advertisement