Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Donegal GAA Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,212 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

doc_17 wrote: »
    But some of the Kerry support are a disgrace. I was there 12 months ago and the hostility was very evident. Smug and arrogant.

I lost all respect for Kerry supporters 2012.

I was getting a train from Hueston Station after the game, and wearing no colours I could overhear some of the garbage they were talking amongst themselves.
    Same happened with the Cork supporter but the contrast was chalk and cheese.
    Their view was the better team by a mile won.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭babybuilder

Have to agree with all the posts. Lack of discipline cost us. Also, our tackling or lack of is very poor in comparison to 2011/2012. In terms of football intelligence we were beaten on and off the field. Have to say our sideline needs to settle down and stop the dramatics. Cool heads and better reading of the game is required.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭babybuilder

I'd disagree in that if we win Ulster, we should be getting to an All Ireland semi final and then anything is possible. I don't think Kerry, Dublin or Mayo are better than they've been in the last few years. Winning Ulster is key to our season.

As for today's game, apart from all the off the ball stuff the thing really annoyed me was the amount of stupid frees we gave away. It's like we weren't aware how good Sheehan is from frees. We even gave him an extra 13 metres on a couple of occasions.

McLoone probably didn't merit a straight red but why did he run in the get involved in an incident when he's already on a yellow. Either way he deserved to go.

A defeat at this stage is probably no harm. Considering our points difference if we beat Roscommon we'll probably make the semis anyway.

We'll see how we get on against Roscommon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

Have to agree with all the posts. Lack of discipline cost us. Also, our tackling or lack of is very poor in comparison to 2011/2012. In terms of football intelligence we were beaten on and off the field. Have to say our sideline needs to settle down and stop the dramatics. Cool heads and better reading of the game is required.

I have grave concerns over the line myself.

In terms of behaviour, no question that our discipline has waned. Comes from management I think. McGuinness was serene and usually controlled, Gallagher is like a jack in the box.

Wait till the summer I suppose but yeah, would be worried.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

digiman wrote: »
    What happened on the sideline by the Donegal bench?
    Mainly just Rory being Rory (i.e. losing the run of himself and abusing the officials throughout). A bit more self control and calm might resonate better with the team...
    On another note I see Neil may be brought before the CCCC for his part in the sending off. Funny how the Kerry mafia have been so vocal in the meeja about this while at the same time Donaghy was free to do as he pleased with very little mention of it afterwards...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭dog_pig

http://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2016/0308/773321-donegal-and-kerry-set-for-punishment/

Looks like fines and ban(s) incoming. Will be interesting to see how they'll balance between the two teams.

Apparently James Horan has written about it - I can't find anything online however.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭notfromhere

Think he does a piece in the Daily Star.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Frank Craig has a good piece in Donegal Now. Mentions Horan.

Redsoxfan wrote: »
    Frank Craig has a good piece in Donegal Now. Mentions Horan.

I haven't read the Horan's piece but it seems strange to me that he would come out saying that it was Donegal who instigated the situation and Kerry were only responding.

How anyone (well apart from Kerry supporters) could watch the match and be of that opinion is beyond me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

dog_pig wrote: »
    I haven't read the Horan's piece but it seems strange to me that he would come out saying that it was Donegal who instigated the situation and Kerry were only responding.

How anyone (well apart from Kerry supporters) could watch the match and be of that opinion is beyond me.

Kerry definitely started "it" when Donaghy threw an arm around Murphys neck and dragged him down to the ground. Blatant black card offense right there. Melee ensues. The ref not handing out any cards for any of that, set the tone. Players thought "anything goes" & further chaos ensues, until the ref was forced to act. If had manned up and given KD a black card there and then, perhaps he would have set the tone, that he wasn't going to tolerate any shyte and things would have been different. I doubt it though, the atmosphere seemed pretty toxic from the get go.

Murphy was no angel, holding up a free being taken. But play acting like that has been a part of the Kieran Donaghy playbook for years. So he can hardly have cause for complaint when someone does it to Kerry, or think it's suddenly ok to drag someone to the ground, by the scruff of the neck when they do do it.

• Advertisement

http://www.donegalsporthub.com/17129-2/

€7500 for both counties, McGee only player banned.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

That's pretty shocking,I thought the GAA for once might come down hard in light of the many unsavoury incidents during the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 422 ✭✭The Assistinator

I see the bias is still rife in the gaa how the fluck is mc gee the only man to get a ban from that hope they go now and get the ban overturned and just rest Neil anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 554 ✭✭✭RMDrive

Can't argue with the fine or with the suspension. It's now time to forget about it and focus on the Roscommon game. One in which we'll show a lot more discipline I hope.

Take it and move on. The sooner it's forgotten about the better. If it drags on it will count against us when it really matters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭PressRun

One one hand, I'm surprised, and on the other, it seems so typical. I thought (or maybe hoped) that the GAA would want to come down hard on this nonsense early on in the year after the controversy of last year. But I probably should have known that the kid gloves would be out again. Not a great start to the year, disciplinary-wise.

While I'm not sure Donaghy's tackle on Michael Murphy was retrospective ban stuff, he absolutely should have been black carded there and then. I couldn't believe he stayed on the pitch. He set the tone and seems to constantly get away with stuff like this.

O'Mahony was guilty of a lot of mouthing off, goading and throwing his weight around, and should have walked too.

Neil McGee fully deserving of his ban, imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭ciarriaithuaidh

PressRun wrote: »
    One one hand, I'm surprised, and on the other, it seems so typical. I thought (or maybe hoped) that the GAA would want to come down hard on this nonsense early on in the year after the controversy of last year. But I probably should have known that the kid gloves would be out again. Not a great start to the year, disciplinary-wise.

While I'm not sure Donaghy's tackle on Michael Murphy was retrospective ban stuff, he absolutely should have been black carded there and then. I couldn't believe he stayed on the pitch. He set the tone and seems to constantly get away with stuff like this.

O'Mahony was guilty of a lot of mouthing off, goading and throwing his weight around, and should have walked too.

Neil McGee fully deserving of his ban, imo.

O'Mahony should have "walked"?? For what?

Donaghy was lucky to stay on fair enough, but McBrearty dragged someone down by the neck from behind which is even more dangerous. No mention of that here strangely?

I think both counties deserved a hefty fine, although I think McGee is lucky the ban isn't longer considering the way TG4 highlighted exactly what he was up to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,386 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

PressRun wrote:

Believe it or not the tone had been set already off the ball by this stage. Both sides were dragging off each other. Cameras missed a lot. Can't pin the game's atmosphere all on Donaghy.

Donaghy (with Murphy playing his part to be fair) kicked off the brawl and deserved a black card. But Bastick did the same last year vs Kerry, got a black but appealed it and had it rescinded. Hard to see where the GAA stands on drag downs like that.

McBrearty did the exact same to Mahoney later. Escaping punishment.

McGee's ban is fair enough, as are the fines.

However referees need to start dealing the the goading. Mahoney and Kavanagh in particular were awful in this regard.

Watching back on TG4 it was difficult to see any other clear Red Cards from the video evidence. Though many other punches were thrown, none of them ended up on camera.

The slowing down of frees is something that needs a black/yellow card punishment.

Both sides were at it all day. Cooper stopped 2 quick frees. Mahoney kicked a ball into the stand as did Donaghy.
    Kavanagh repeatedly slowed down Sheehan. Murphy holding onto the ball leading to the first brawl.

A 30m advancement and a black card would solve that rapidly. In Aussie Rules its a 50m penalty AFAIK. It speeds the game up tremendously.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Alvin Holler

DDC1990 wrote: »

A 30m advancement and a black card would solve that rapidly. In Aussie Rules its a 50m penalty AFAIK. It speeds the game up tremendously.

The lottery that is congress voted against that a 30m advancement when they did introduce the black cards. It's such a simple solution you'd wonder what they were thinking although some refs are very generous with the 13m which is more of a typical gaa solution.

I'd agree with the other comments, need to move on and learn from it.

One thing though, did McLoone and Fitzgerald get suspensions?

One thing though, did McLoone and Fitzgerald get suspensions?

Automatic one game ban unless it's appealed or the offence is worse than 'normal'.

• Advertisement

DDC1990 wrote:
    The slowing down of frees is something that needs a black/yellow card punishment.

Fully agree, I hate seeing this and that applies to our own lads on Sunday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Typical Congress, bring in the mark which nobody was that bothered about and refuse cutting the All Ireland short by 2 weeks.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

This type of thing happens in at least one league match every single year. It's unsavoury and unpleasant but until the GAA starts to really come down hard on it, I'm sure it will continue. As others have said, draw a line under this one and move on ... and hopefully they will learn something from it as a group.
    As for Congress, absolutely agree K-9. The mark is a daft rule change - talk about answering a question nobody was asking! Smacks of Jarlath Burns looking to put something into his cv as an achievement! I don't believe rule changes in the game are a priority at the minute - it is the scheduling and club/county structures that are the pressing issues currently.
    On a side note, one thing I'm seeing more and more of though that is quite annoying - players throwing the ball! I saw one blatant example of this on Sunday where Kerry won a free seconds after a falling Kerry player threw the ball with both hands - absolutely no attempt at handpassing it.

Believe it or not the tone had been set already off the ball by this stage. Both sides were dragging off each other. Cameras missed a lot. Can't pin the game's atmosphere all on Donaghy.

I think it's fair to say that there is plenty of pulling and dragging on show in virtually every intercounty football match. What is not often seen (and less often gotten away with) is what Donaghy did to Murphy in the opening minutes.

I don't think it's fair to pin the entire game's atmosphere on Donaghy no, but it was the first major flare up of the match. Murphy should not have been holding onto the ball but again you see this pretty often regardless of the counties involved.

I think it's hard to argue that Kerry weren't under the more pressure of the two counties to get a result on Sunday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,963 ✭✭✭doc_17

I wonder if 47% of the fine will go into funding the Dubs next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭PressRun

Donaghy (with Murphy playing his part to be fair) kicked off the brawl and deserved a black card. But Bastick did the same last year vs Kerry, got a black but appealed it and had it rescinded. Hard to see where the GAA stands on drag downs like that.

McBrearty did the exact same to Mahoney later. Escaping punishment.

McGee's ban is fair enough, as are the fines.

However referees need to start dealing the the goading. Mahoney and Kavanagh in particular were awful in this regard.

Watching back on TG4 it was difficult to see any other clear Red Cards from the video evidence. Though many other punches were thrown, none of them ended up on camera.

Both sides were at it all day. Cooper stopped 2 quick frees. Mahoney kicked a ball into the stand as did Donaghy.
    Kavanagh repeatedly slowed down Sheehan. Murphy holding onto the ball leading to the first brawl.

To be fair, pulling and suchlike happens a lot, in plenty of matches. I don't think it justifies Donaghy's tackle.

Using provocative or abusive language and gestures towards opponents, as well as remonstrating aggressively with officials are mentioned in the rules as black card offences, but I don't think those rules are really effectively enforced. "Contributing to a melee" is also a red card offence, apparently. How often is that enforced? Entire teams still get involved in rows.

Goading and mouthing off needs to be dealt with more harshly. Johnny Cooper got a second yellow in the Dublin match the last night for what appeared to be talking back to the ref. I thought he got a soft second yellow before I knew what it was for, but if that constant whinging is going on, I've no objection to yellows being handed out. It's irritating to watch, can't imagine what it's like for the ref that has to listen to it. Several players could have gotten one yellow or more for such nonsense in the match on Sunday.

To be fair to Eddie Kinsella though, and I'm not his biggest fan, but that was a difficult match to ref. It was almost a case of him trying to deal with one incident, and then another kicking off behind him. He'd have needed eyes on the back of his head.

A 30m advancement could actually be a good shout for stamping out the time-wasting crap. But sure, why would you bring in something useful when you can bring in something nobody cares about? :pac:

Redsoxfan wrote:
    Take it and move on. The sooner it's forgotten about the better. If it drags on it will count against us when it really matters.

As was pointed out to me on the Tweet machine, if he gets another straight red card within the next 48 weeks, Neil McGee would automatically get a doubling of the suspension. So he may well fight the 'proposed' ban and I guess I now see the logic in doing so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,963 ✭✭✭doc_17

If I was McGee I'd appeal it.

I know someone else here mentioned it but I have to agree that the abuse Murphy takes is something else. Because he's a big man it never get penalised.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭bob skunkhouse

I'd agree with the other comments, need to move on and learn from it.

The problem is, they don't seem to learn from it. Since JMCG departed the scene, I almost ashamed to say that there seems to be a undercurrent of cynicism running through this team.
    For want of something better to do last night, I reviewed the highlights on youtube of the Mayo game. Just before O'Connor had placed the ball on the spot for the penalty kick, as clear as the nose on my face, Hugh McFadden could be seen trying to rake his studs down on top of O'Connors Achilles. Not once, but 4 times! Like, what's the point in that?

I think we've the makings of a championship winning team in the near future, with some very good young footballers coming through, but if it means winning Sam through gouging, cynicism, and unsportsmanlike behaviour then I wonder will it be worth it?

• Advertisement

Championship draw without seeding throws up a few ridiculous groups.

Advertisement