Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Donegal GAA Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Eunan's, Michael's, Kilcar and Killybegs is mental. Then N. Mhuire, Malin, McCumhaill's and Glenfin which, if it was seeded, would all be finding it tough to get out of groups.

Dungloe, Ardara and Glenswilly will be tight as well.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,963 ✭✭✭doc_17

Seeding should have no place in any championship draw. I don't want any championship turning into the joke that is the Munster Championship where it's basically preordained who is in the final.

Open draws see new teams get a chance to get further and things can then possibly kick on from there for them.

It's not like the current system stops the best teams anyway. Group stages make it less likely that big teams get caught on the hop

Hopefully we can end our awful form today in O'Donnell Park.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

Great form in Letterkenny continues.

Dogshít.

should be looked at it but it won't. Awful venue for the spectator as well as the team.

• Advertisement

A lot depends on the Roscommon vs. Mayo game, Mayo get a win there and with Down left for them, the Monaghan match could be a relegation dog fight.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

As far as I know, if more than two teams end up level on points, position is decided by scoring difference.

So relegation a possibility, assuming we lose our next two games, Mayo beat Roscommon and Down and Cork beat Down.

The margin of victory in the opening game could be what saves us.

Kieran Cunningham from The Star remind Donegal are safe as Mayo can only get to 6 pts and it's head to head then

Thought we were fine once Mayo were bate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

doc_17 wrote: »
    Kieran Cunningham from The Star remind Donegal are safe as Mayo can only get to 6 pts and it's head to head then

If three teams are on six it comes down to scoring difference. Donegal aren't safe.

doc_17 wrote:

He's wrong, again, and admitted it.

doc_17 wrote: »

Right, could still leave Monaghan needing a win. I suppose if we are safe it doesn't matter all that much in the grand scheme of things, just would add extra needle that game. Mayo beat Monaghan so they'd need a result if there are 2 points between them going into it.

Fecking journalists, shoddy journalism Ted, shoddy!

Ah well, best beat the dubs then to be sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 889 ✭✭✭opiniated

Great form in Letterkenny continues.

Dogshít.

It was pretty awful, alright!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭babybuilder

The real quality in football terms stood out today. This mundane over and back taking 10 passes to move a few meters is deplorable and our result against Mayo needs to be placed firmly in context of a stuttering Mayo team. What is going on in training? Our modus operandi is well known and is now easily counteracted. Boyle kept us in the game when the Rossies should have been out of sight.
    I was really impressed with the energy of Roscommon today. They used the flanks and then switched it quickly across for runners through the middle. Our backs were pulled out of the middle and on at least half a dozen occasions three or four Donegal players not busting a gut to get back and cover. Roscommon's scoring ratio was phenomenal and they have some quality forwards.

Our guys looked dead on their feet. Is this the end of Anthony Thompson's influence on games? McNiallais was woeful and couldn't handle the man he was on. If Murphy was taken out of this team they wouldn't have a hope in the Ulsters. Our running style relies on huge energy, hunger and fitness none of which we saw today. Age is not on the side of a lot of the guys out there today. I am trying to think of how we are going to offer any threat this year. Our only hope has to be Murphy inside - he cannot be everywhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

What's the story with Murphy's hammer? He looked to be in a bad way in the second half. Will he be fit for the Dubs game.

ProudDUB wrote: »
    What's the story with Murphy's hammer? He looked to be in a bad way in the second half. Will he be fit for the Dubs game.

Yeah he looked bad. Just shows that it took an injury to put him inside.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

In the same way I wasn't getting carried away with our first 3 wins, I'm not getting too concerned with the back to back losses either. Of course it's very possible we will go into the last game with Monaghan needing not to lose to avoid relegation but I think at the start of the year we all felt this was where we were at anyway - staying up was the main goal and we knew it would not be easy to do so. I still think we have a shot at making the semi finals which would be good in terms of the extra competitive game.
    The one thing you never know with the league is where teams are at with their preparation. It is very possible that Rory set his stall out to win the first few games and then put in some hard sessions - we just don't know. So whilst yesterday was pretty poor I'm not putting too much into it. However one big concern for me from our league form is just how poor we are around the middle of the field. We rarely seem to come out on top of those battles. We desperately need big Neil to be at his best come championship time as we really don't have anyone else even close to him in terms of winning possession or causing the opposition concern.
    All that said, I was very impressed with the Rossies yesterday and the two Cregg lads and Daly in particular looked very good indeed. Hopefully they can give Mayo a run this year for the Connacht title.

• Advertisement

The form of Paddy McBrearty is also worrying. He's not contributing much from general play. Without McFadden we really need him to shine.

doc_17 wrote:
    The form of Paddy McBrearty is also worrying. He's not contributing much from general play. Without McFadden we really need him to shine.

He's still too hot and cold but how much ball does he get?

I am expecting nothing from Colm Anthony this summer and I don't know how Rory Gallagher is either.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18 Rowdy Roddy

Brits out!

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭jimbo32123

Brits out!

Your some clown!!

Redsoxfan wrote: »

I am expecting nothing from Colm Anthony this summer and I don't know how Rory Gallagher is either.

It must be very frustrating to play inside knowing how we play. Then when we're behind it they lump it in. Midfield is worrying with Neil Gallagher's age. I feel we really need to adapt our play. Nothing I've seen suggests that this is going to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Ceist_Beag wrote: »
    In the same way I wasn't getting carried away with our first 3 wins, I'm not getting too concerned with the back to back losses either. Of course it's very possible we will go into the last game with Monaghan needing not to lose to avoid relegation but I think at the start of the year we all felt this was where we were at anyway - staying up was the main goal and we knew it would not be easy to do so. I still think we have a shot at making the semi finals which would be good in terms of the extra competitive game.
    The one thing you never know with the league is where teams are at with their preparation. It is very possible that Rory set his stall out to win the first few games and then put in some hard sessions - we just don't know. So whilst yesterday was pretty poor I'm not putting too much into it. However one big concern for me from our league form is just how poor we are around the middle of the field. We rarely seem to come out on top of those battles. We desperately need big Neil to be at his best come championship time as we really don't have anyone else even close to him in terms of winning possession or causing the opposition concern.
    All that said, I was very impressed with the Rossies yesterday and the two Cregg lads and Daly in particular looked very good indeed. Hopefully they can give Mayo a run this year for the Connacht title.

You guys are safe as K9 mentioned as we can only get to 6 points and you will stay up on the head to head.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,372 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

seligehgit wrote: »
    You guys are safe as K9 mentioned as we can only get to 6 points and you will stay up on the head to head.

Well in theory Donegal, Monaghan and Mayo and Cork could all finish on 6.
    So when more than two are tied it goes to points difference.
    And Donegal own that (19) right now compared to Monaghan (-4), Cork (-16), Mayo (-16).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

Well in theory Donegal, Monaghan and Mayo and Cork could all finish on 6.
    So when more than two are tied it goes to points difference.
    And Donegal own that (19) right now compared to Monaghan (-4), Cork (-16), Mayo (-16).

Rather than getting any work done today after a heavy weekend, I looked at a number of scenario's for relegation. Assuming there wont be a huge turnaround in points difference, I think Donegal are definitely safe. I thought that maybe if we finished on 6 with just Monaghan and Kerry, we could go down, but as they play each other next time out, that's not possible.

I actually think that Roscommon will effectively relegate Mayo by beating them on the 26th with Monaghan picking up something from their final two home games.

But just in case points difference will come into play, lets do a 2011 on Dublin in Croker :D

Redsoxfan wrote: »

All good points.

I'm not getting carried away with anything but I've got serious concerns about the management.

See what happens in a fortnight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭henke

I'm not getting carried away with anything but I've got serious concerns about the management.

I would have serious doubts too I think Rory is too hot headed to be a serious intercounty manager in this day and age. Hope I am proved wrong and we have a successful year.

Advertisement