Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Donegal GAA Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭ghostfacekilla

All good points.

I'm not getting carried away with anything but I've got serious concerns about the management.

See what happens in a fortnight.

His choice/timing of subs and apparent tactical diversity and implementing and changing said tactics wouldn't look out out of place at a girl's under 12 match but I'm really praying to eat my words here.

Kevin McStay in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,963 ✭✭✭doc_17

I was up in Kilcar 2 years ago when Rory Gallagher was in charge of them against St Michael's in the championship. Tactics all wrong that day too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭dinorebel

Brits out!

This 'Brit' spent 8 hours helping out at O'Donnell park on Sunday where were you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,223 ✭✭✭overshoot

dinorebel wrote: »
    This 'Brit' spent 8 hours helping out at O'Donnell park on Sunday where were you?
    he was banned soon after than post so wouldnt get hyped up. No point in giving morons like that the time of day

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Murphy14

One concern I have with the management is that we don't have a Donegal native involved the 3 main men are Fermanagh,Sligo & Westmeath I think you need a Donegal man in the set up ....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭babybuilder

Murphy14 wrote: »
    One concern I have with the management is that we don't have a Donegal native involved the 3 main men are Fermanagh,Sligo & Westmeath I think you need a Donegal man in the set up ....

It would be nice for another former Donegal county footballer to be involved, preferably someone with an All-Ireland. Also, preferably someone with an intelligent football brain who could put forward an alternative vision on where Donegal football should be going. In the end if the guys in charge know what they are doing and develop successful team I dont think many will mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

Murphy14 wrote: »

I agree with the general point, and It's more holistic when its one of our own.

Rory is in Donegal a while now though and has a good grasp of the club scene so don't think it is as much of a worry.

This will sound obvious but we could do with unearthing a Jack O'Connor (who wouldn't want to stumble on someone like him!) someone who's worked with the schools teams, the underage and then transitions to manage the seniors. But someone who is astute and successful at what they are doing. Not sure Bonner is the man myself but time will tell.

It's a worry of sorts as to my mind this is the strongest our young players (17-22) have ever been. There is serious talent there. The schools are making waves now too, colaiste na Carrigre are really benefitting the kilcar/glen area and oroducing some top young players. St. Eunans will always be strong.

Need a manager to complement that.

Being overly critical of Rory perhaps but we've finally set some standards for ourselves and it looks like they are slipping.

The goal should be a management set up capable of winning the All Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 889 ✭✭✭opiniated

Rory is in Donegal a while now though and has a good grasp of the club scene so don't think it is as much of a worry.

This will sound obvious but we could do with unearthing a Jack O'Connor (who wouldn't want to stumble on someone like him!) someone who's worked with the schools teams, the underage and then transitions to manage the seniors. But someone who is astute and successful at what they are doing. Not sure Bonner is the man myself but time will tell.

It's a worry of sorts as to my mind this is the strongest our young players (17-22) have ever been. There is serious talent there. The schools are making waves now too, colaiste na Carrigre are really benefitting the kilcar/glen area and oroducing some top young players. St. Eunans will always be strong.

Being overly critical of Rory perhaps but we've finally set some standards for ourselves and it looks like they are slipping.

Agreed. But who do we have in Donegal with that skillset?

opiniated wrote: »
    Agreed. But who do we have in Donegal with that skillset?

Nobody as far as I am aware. Dont see anyone in the club scene either. Fairly limited.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭babybuilder

Not sure I completely agree with the assertion of serious talent out there notwithstanding that I have been out of the club and school scene for a few years. On the question of schools talent the yard stick has to be competition at Ulster colleges A level and how well we compete there. I'm not a fan of all our county teams and club representative teams adhering to the 'Donegal' style. I'd like to see us asserting a more direct style that encourages more creative forward play assuming that the talent is there. There is no doubt that success at underage will benefit the senior county team.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

I don't think there is a lot of talent out there waiting to be found. In saying that, I see very little club football. But what I tend to hear is that the best players are guys that have retired or walked away from County panels.

Regarding schools football, problem in Donegal is that it's too dispersed. It's great to see Colaiste na Carraige doing well, but the standard isn't great in that competition. St Eunans are a marginal McRory team and are more often than not in the McLarnon. Inishowen Colleges had the right idea, but that didn't find favour with everyone and I'm not even sure they persisted with it.

What we have is more of an academy type system at this stage with the best minors turning into the best U-21s and then progressing to the seniors. The chances of players who didn't star at those age levels making it into the seniors seem to be diminishing but maybe that's just my thinking or a phase.

Still, #roryout

Close run thing in the U21s, two late enough goals put Derry ahead for the first time but we rallied to win by a point. Armagh hammered Down, Monaghan hammered Fermanagh and Tyrone beat Cavan by two goals.

Not sure I completely agree with the assertion of serious talent out there notwithstanding that I have been out of the club and school scene for a few years. On the question of schools talent the yard stick has to be competition at Ulster colleges A level and how well we compete there. I'm not a fan of all our county teams and club representative teams adhering to the 'Donegal' style. I'd like to see us asserting a more direct style that encourages more creative forward play assuming that the talent is there. There is no doubt that success at underage will benefit the senior county team.

Fair points.

You're right about the method too.

Redsoxfan wrote: »

What we have is more of an academy type system at this stage with the best minors turning into the best U-21s and then progressing to the seniors. The chances of players who didn't star at those age levels making it into the seniors seem to be diminishing but maybe that's just my thinking or a phase.

Has that not typically been the way of it though? Across the board even not just with Donegal.

Trying to think about who joined up 'late' having not played underage and having a brainfart. It's late.

Congratulations to Papa, senior club all ireland winner.

Cant think of too many Donegal men with one of those.

Worth the commute!

A brilliant save at a key moment too. Fair play to him, I would love to see him back but at the same time he would want to commit fairly lively if he is going to play at all this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

He very good today. Has a good understanding with Hiney and helped compensate for a lack of height in the BB back line. He is a top three keeper imo his punched clearances were fantastic all 90 degree out to the corners other lads might have punched them behind but he contributed to the lack of scoring from Castlebar. Donegal have big men at the back anyway but I think he's your best option anyway.

His kickouts and understanding with key outfield players will be sorely missed if he doesn't return.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Apologies if this has been asked 973 times already, but has he given any indication of what his plans are for the summer?

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Apologies if this has been asked 973 times already, but has he given any indication of what his plans are for the summer?

I think he was due to chew the fat with Rory soon (after the Club AI).

• Advertisement

Stoner wrote: »
    He very good today. Has a good understanding with Hiney and helped compensate for a lack of height in the BB back line. He is a top three keeper imo his punched clearances were fantastic all 90 degree out to the corners other lads might have punched them behind but he contributed to the lack of scoring from Castlebar. Donegal have big men at the back anyway but I think he's your best option anyway.

Who's the other 2.

Cluxton obviously and ? (Kealy?)

Far and away our best option. Streets ahead of anything else we have. Unfortunate for Michael Boyle to get injured so soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Who's the other 2.

Top three for me is a good way of saying someone is very good, without starting a barney!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 889 ✭✭✭opiniated

Stoner wrote: »
    Top three for me is a good way of saying someone is very good, without starting a barney!

I have to admit, I'm curious, too!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭jimbo32123

1 Papa
    2 Cluxton
    3 Beggan

That would be my top 3

• Registered Users Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭harpsman

Who's the other 2.

Cluxton obviously and ? (Kealy?)

Far and away our best option. Streets ahead of anything else we have. Unfortunate for Michael Boyle to get injured so soon.

In fairness Boyle (Peter?) has been doing pretty well, made a few saves and has a big kick. It will take time for everyone to develop that understanding and i cant think of a better time to start blooding a new keeper. Also remember league campaigns where we were losing our own kickouts in the past w Durcan so lets give Boyle a chance to work on it.

harpsman wrote: »
    In fairness Boyle (Peter?) has been doing pretty well, made a few saves and has a big kick. It will take time for everyone to develop that understanding and i cant think of a better time to start blooding a new keeper. Also remember league campaigns where we were losing our own kickouts in the past w Durcan so lets give Boyle a chance to work on it.

Doesn't take away from the fact that Papa is miles better than him.

It's a non-runner.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 green and yellow

can anyone name any more donegal men with club all irelands along with Durcan?

• Registered Users Posts: 38 green and yellow

Good win for Naomh Columba against Four Masters yesterday, won by a point, hard fought victory.

Good win for Naomh Columba against Four Masters yesterday, won by a point, hard fought victory.

I think Four Masters could struggle this year. Division 2 is a seriously tricky division.

• Advertisement

Colm Anthony to feature on Saturday by the sounds of it.

No Frank which is a big loss, his power and direct running is badly needed.

I hope it's not narky.

Advertisement