Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Donegal GAA Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

3 tickets for 305k going free if anyone wants them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭harpsman

Expecting a better show today. Cant be much worse😡

Trademark wide from MacNiallais. Far too casual.

Doesn't look bad but our kick outs and our tactics to counter theirs are a disaster.

Concerning that there is still no sign of Big Neil. Or Papa.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭squareball1988

We played like a team who lost 4/7 League Matches. Based on what I've seen since Jan 2015 Jim was spot on to get rid of Rory.

Anyone claiming that Rory was in anyway the brains behind that particular operation will be eligible for a swift upper cut.

The Donegal project is certainly over

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭ghostfacekilla

If we scrape our way through the back door to win a quarter final, we'll be lucky.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

Pointless.

....finished with 15 men though. That's a positive.

Redsoxfan wrote:
    Doesn't look bad but our kick outs and our tactics to counter theirs are a disaster.

Redsoxfan wrote:
    Concerning that there is still no sign of Big Neil. Or Papa.

Rory has a plan. Don't worry about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,963 ✭✭✭doc_17

Yeah it's laughable now that anybody would question Jim being the brains of the operation.

We are so far off the top teams right now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 422 ✭✭The Assistinator

Just as we all new, it was depressing stuff as said above at least we finished with 15.
    Started of the league really well against the easiest sides and just fell away against the better sides I still thing we are kidding ourselves by thinking about winning Ulster not with the tactical genius that is Rory on our line.
    Incidentally every time I think of Rory I always think of the photo of David moyes sitting in fergies office with the caption I don't know what I'm doing.:rolleyes:

Redsoxfan wrote:
    On that basis, I think we will be competitive for a half and then fall away in the second. Dubs by > 4.

Close enough.

Terribly sloppy in front of the posts in the 2nd half. As well as our woeful shooting, we give up too many good goal chances.

Anyway, the phony war is over. We will know where we stand the next day out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭henke

I don't rate Rory at all and don't think he is up to the job at all but who would people like to see take the reigns considering a Jim return any time soon would be extremely remote?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

henke wrote: »
    I don't rate Rory at all and don't think he is up to the job at all but who would people like to see take the reigns considering a Jim return any time soon would be extremely remote?

No idea.

Dublin impressive today btw. Be shocked if they didn't win back to back AI's. They're beatable of course, all teams are, just don't see who is at that level. It's a pity there isn't a challenger up for it in some ways. We could get a rivalry like Kerry/Tyrone again.

henke wrote: »

Think it will be Declan but I think Martin mchugh might just throw the hat in the ring this time but for my choice il give it to maxi :p

Another worry from today is murphys shooting must have had 5 wides I'm not criticising him btw but worrying none the less

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Redsoxfan wrote:
    Close enough.

Would have been closer if Murphy had his shooting boots with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭dog_pig

Stoner wrote: »

Was it 12 Donegal wides to Dublin's 4 I saw after the game? That's incredibly efficient from them in fairness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭PressRun

I understand that some Donegal supporters don't have faith in the manager, but does it not seem a bit early to be really worrying about stagnation setting in? They lost a match they didn't look remotely interested in winning. Rightly or wrongly, I don't think they care for the league and would rather have been at home, thinking about the next task in the summer, tbh. I still think they'll be tough to beat in the championship.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Alvin Holler

I wouldn't be a despondent as most on here. The way the fixtures fell it was always going to be a tricky end to the league. We never did any better under McGuinness in the league but at least we've blooded some new players. We've two months now to get in shape, lots to work on but the talent is there.

I'd still have us slight favourites for Ulster, win that and we should looking at making an an allIreland. There's still question marks over Rory but the only alternative I see is Declan which I don't see as an improvement.

• Advertisement

martyo wrote:
    Think it will be Declan but I think Martin mchugh might just throw the hat in the ring this time but for my choice il give it to maxi

#maxiout

Stoner wrote:

He was poor for sure. We had plenty of chances. Probably because ye were well on top at that stage.

Is Ciaran Gillespie only eligible to play when the game is against Dublin and in Croke Park?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭babybuilder

On way back from game. Complete garbage. Heard Rory Gallagher on Newstalk after the game waxing lyrically how they were glad league us over and that they weren't interested. Btw I am paraphrasing. Pity he didn't tell this earlier in the week to the hundreds of supporters who travelled today with the ensuing costs. The league is farcical.

Met a few honest Dubs in a pub afterwards. They put a point to me that we've a great team. Man for man we're Top 4 by any metric. They had obvious problems with our style, but as I reminded them it has been very effective to date, but said we've a team capable of going out and giving every match a decent go by playing "proper" football. Says I that we can't cos we've Ulster to win. And "proper" football isn't something that will win Ulster for you. I also argued their use of "proper".

But even if we decided change our style is Rory the man to do it for us? It doesn't matter who else would or wouldn't replace him but I've given it enough thought to believe that he isn't the man for us.

Too many McHughs on the panel too. and I'm not talking about players.

Stephen McBrearty gave a decent performance too. He'll have a good Ulster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

PressRun wrote: »
    I understand that some Donegal supporters don't have faith in the manager, but does it not seem a bit early to be really worrying about stagnation setting in? They lost a match they didn't look remotely interested in winning. Rightly or wrongly, I don't think they care for the league and would rather have been at home, thinking about the next task in the summer, tbh. I still think they'll be tough to beat in the championship.

:)

The notion that with all their 2 All Ireland and I league and 3 Ulsters decided not to beat Dublin :-)

Bonniedog wrote: »
    The notion that with all their 2 All Ireland and I league and 3 Ulsters decided not to beat Dublin :-)

It's hardly a secret that there are teams who don't take the league seriously and plenty just do enough to hang in there before turning their eyes to the championship. Whether that's the correct approach to take to the league or not is a whole other question.

PressRun wrote: »
    It's hardly a secret that there are teams who don't take the league seriously and plenty just do enough to hang in there before turning their eyes to the championship. Whether that's the correct approach to take to the league or not is a whole other question.

Right!

Must have been actors then in the Donegal jerseys traipsing off with their tails between their legs so :).

Dubs and your boys have more respect for one another than that.

August or September hopefully.

• Advertisement

Bonniedog wrote: »
    Right!

Must have been actors then in the Donegal jerseys traipsing off with their tails between their legs so :).

Dubs and your boys have more respect for one another than that.

August or September hopefully.

They're not my boys.

Believe it or not, not every team takes winning the league as seriously as Dublin do. Donegal hardly even looked like they wanted to be there today. Both Rory Gallagher and Jim Gavin seemed to acknowledge in their post-match interviews too that Donegal minds may well have been elsewhere. Like I said, whether that's right or wrong is a different matter.

Advertisement