Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Donegal GAA Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

I have more respect for Donegal than to think they throw games.

Did you look at them walking off? Did they look like men who were happy with their day's work?

Fact is that Dublin have temporarily outwitted Donegal just as Donegal did to Dublin two years ago.

Can they do it again? I'm sure they might.

Will Donegal be better in July or August than they are in April? Of course they will.

So will Dublin, Mayo, Kerry, Tyrone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭Green_Tae

Bonniedog wrote: »
    I have more respect for Donegal than to think they throw games.

Did you look at them walking off? Did they look like men who were happy with their day's work?

No, but taking the week off prior to playing a match of that calibre is tantamount to throwing a game.

I'm very disappointed to hear that Rory Gallagher made that decision. Like I said before I don't think anything will be gained by it. Why not just have a couple of light training sessions?

I don't buy for one second the notion that Donegal do not have a squad capable of competing in the latter stages of the league and the Ulster championship.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭eddie73

There is a lot of hot air being thrown around about donegal effectively throwing the semi final. I disagree that this happened, but would concede that Gallagher went in with little preparation done on the training field, and let things shape up the way they did. Is this throwing a game? The players probably did their best and went at it to win, but didnt have the requisite preperation done. The look on the donegal faces in the huddle pre match and at half time suggests that they wanted to win quite badly. I would also point to the ferocious pre match training that we did in front of the cusack stand. Is this necessary? Surely it must leave a team like dublin in a great situation if they stop donegal from the start that they warmed up for.

Finally, we have to recognise the fact that dublin are a serious team, with a huge squad. We gave them a good close game a couple of weeks before it, and lead at half time. I think that we should factor this in too when considering how good or poor donegal are.

Look also to the roscommon kerry game, in which you could hardly accuse ross of throwing the game, or not wanting it badly enough. I think that they were even more outclassed by kerry than we were by the dubs. (Remember too, that they beat kerry 2 months ago in kerry, so a week is a hell of a long time in the game, never mind a couple of months).

What I would take from all of this is that we can improve. We have to. If it was a plan to sneak under the radar without showing our full hand, then it is a very risky game to play. Losing 5 games on the trot is a very serious mental wrinkle to iron out. I also think that eoin mchugh and ciaran thompson were kept from dublin to hide their worth for onlookers to take note of. But I would say that those lads needed to play to get the experience of croke park again.

All speculation, and all will come out of the wash v fermanagh or antrim. Even though I think we will win that game with a bit to spare, we should see the worth of our lads this year in that game. A team like donegal dont have the players to sit back or be cute, we have to press on in order to survive.

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭ghostfacekilla

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

I'll be shocked if we get anything out of Jigger tbh.

Good to have Michael Boyle nearly back. Massive improvement on all the others imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

Good to see the minors into another league final. With the minor hurlers and u17 footballers also making the ulster final, underage seems pretty healthy at the minute. That's a fair achievement.

Ceist_Beag wrote: »
    Good to see the minors into another league final. With the minor hurlers and u17 footballers also making the ulster final, underage seems pretty healthy at the minute. That's a fair achievement.

It's very strong at the moment but they have got to start translating that into silverware. Only have to look at the 21's over the past few years to see what happens when you don't make the most of what you've got.

Been the source of huge disappointment/frustration.

Barrett's done really good work across the board so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

It's hard to know, the 2010 U-21's probably benefited more from Jim and his attitude and professionalism than winning Ulster, though I think the change of attitude had started before that at under age level. Tyrone and Armagh's example showed what it took to win even at under age level.

Losing so many U-21 finals would be worrying but with them joining a successful senior set up, it shouldn't be as big a problem as it could be. The U-21/20 needs qualifiers really, but the room isn't really there under the current schedule.

As for the league, I wouldn't be getting too hung up on it, if we win Ulster or go on a good run we won't be looking back at the league S/F.

Was listening to McGeeney on Off the ball and he again made the point that Armagh won 7 Ulsters in 10 years or so. Seemed to be a regret that maybe they focused too much on it and possibly missed an AI in there. He didn't outright say it but it's the perennial problem.

With such a late start this year the schedule must be different to reflect that.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

K-9 wrote: »
    It's hard to know, the 2010 U-21's probably benefited more from Jim and his attitude and professionalism than winning Ulster, though I think the change of attitude had started before that at under age level. Tyrone and Armagh's example showed what it took to win even at under age level.

Losing so many U-21 finals would be worrying but with them joining a successful senior set up, it shouldn't be as big a problem as it could be. The U-21/20 needs qualifiers really, but the room isn't really there under the current schedule.

As for the league, I wouldn't be getting too hung up on it, if we win Ulster or go on a good run we won't be looking back at the league S/F.

Was listening to McGeeney on Off the ball and he again made the point that Armagh won 7 Ulsters in 10 years or so. Seemed to be a regret that maybe they focused too much on it and possibly missed an AI in there. He didn't outright say it but it's the perennial problem.

With such a late start this year the schedule must be different to reflect that.

They point at 2005 as being a massive one. They beat Tyrone in the Ulster Final and made a massive deal about it, by their own accounts, too much. Of course Tyrone came through the back door to win the All Ireland having played 10 games beating Armagh in the process.

Incidentally, the finish to that semi final- McNulty giving away a scoreable free, McGeeney absolutely helpless and despondent on the touchline as Wee Peter steps up to slot it over the black spot is one of my favourite ever moments.

You don't hold a grudge then? Seriously, that was the most bizarre substitution I can remember.

As you say though, Tyrone played 10 that year so who knows, that was probably that Armagh teams last chance looking back. Epic S/F though, Francie against Mulligan was class.

It's the disadvantage Ulster teams have but we have to get on with it. Other big teams can target the August Bank holiday weekend while we kick the shyte out of each other up here!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭squareball1988

After an underwhelming league I feel very similar about this year as I did in 2014.

I'm hoping that's a good omen.

Delia is due to leave Celtic.

'Mon home Jim, you've had your fun!

Ronny's leaving now for sure. Come home to us Jim.

I'd say Jim already has his cv in to replace Ronny! :P

eddie73 wrote: »
    There is a lot of hot air being thrown around about donegal effectively throwing the semi final. I disagree that this happened, but would concede that Gallagher went in with little preparation done on the training field, and let things shape up the way they did. Is this throwing a game?

It probably is - against a team as meticulous in their preparation as Dublin, then yes.

You're dead right to point out that we have to be careful here as so much of what we're saying revolves around internet speculation; but, if it's true then for me it represents the ugliest of that 'win at all costs' mentality that dogs the game. The semi-finals are unnecessary but they won't go away anytime soon so why not have a go. I hope Gallagher and his players take the competition seriously going forward because on their day they're box office.

Green Tae wrote: »
    The semi-finals are unnecessary but they won't go away anytime soon so why not have a go.

Ehh wrong! This year was the last year of league semi-finals. From next year the top two contest the final. See here and here

Ehh wrong! This year was the last year of league semi-finals. From next year the top two contest the final. See here and here

About the only change that got through to try and reduce the schedule, at least I don't remember any others. The U-17 thing is more a player welfare thing. Bringing the AI finals back 2 weeks failed.

Roscommon and New York will be first out in the Championship, stupidest thing ever and shows how the Championship could be cut short by a month with no loss to anybody.

Okay, I missed that with all the furore surrounding the mark - a positive development. Still would have been nice to see Donegal having a proper go at the Dubs, you might have to wait until the summer for that to happen.

About the only change that got through to try and reduce the schedule, at least I don't remember any others. The U-17 thing is more a player welfare thing. Bringing the AI finals back 2 weeks failed.

Roscommon and New York will be first out in the Championship, stupidest thing ever and shows how the Championship could be cut short by a month with no loss to anybody.

It's an amateur game, it shouldn't be pandering to two competitions. I don't believe the appetite or the time is available to do justice to both. We need a closed intercounty season, scheduled well in advance with fixed windows for club fixtures and no replays. That will probably necessitate combining the league and the championship in some form. The football development committee recommended adopting a 'north american' format with regional conferences way back in the nineties - I suspect they were onto something.

Green Tae wrote: »

It's an amateur game, it shouldn't be pandering to two competitions. I don't believe the appetite or the time is available to do justice to both. We need a closed intercounty season, scheduled well in advance with fixed windows for club fixtures and no replays. That will probably necessitate combining the league and the championship in some form. The football development committee recommended adopting a 'north american' format with regional conferences way back in the nineties - I suspect they were onto something.
    Add your reply here.
    Pardon my ignorance. Like a longer provincial championship?

• Advertisement

I think Jim's idea was the best we've had so far, some tweaking and we'd be close. The league should feed into tbe championship.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Go on the Minors.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭bob skunkhouse

Got the pass for tomorrow to catch the ball games only to find out there's only the Nally stand left! If any tickets about that someone can't now make. I'll take one from them. PM with details plse

Add your reply here.
    Pardon my ignorance. Like a longer provincial championship?

I don't think that particular committee ever went into great detail; they were given a mandate to examine alternative structures and the model that they identified as being the most suitable was the north american one, i.e. a championship made up of regional conferences (basically compact leagues) that feed into a knockout stage. This is going back to the nineties mind you but I fully agree that's the way to go.

Alternatively the simpler solution - as mentioned above, is to move the league and the championship into one organised, closed season but that still necessitates a fixed calendar with windows for club fixtures and that would also mean doing away with replays.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭Steve The Barman

another big win for Kilcar, pity they'll blow the load come the championship as per usuall !!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Indo seems to be reporting that Paul Durcan is staying out in Qatar and will miss the championship.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/durcan-to-miss-donegals-championship-bid-after-opting-to-stay-in-qatar-34679606.html

Catastrophic loss really.

Don't think Boyle (Peter) or MMcG are up to much at all. Maybe Michael Boyle might get a run yet.

Dreading the summer to be perfectly honest.

If we needed any more reasons to be pessimistic. The loss of Papa is incalculable.

Michael Boyle is good - but has been lacking in high quality game time.

Even though Fermanagh is a likely banana skin it is good we don't have a traditional powerhouse for our Ulster opener. Give, hopefully, Michael the chance to experience championship football before Monaghan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

No Papa, no good.

#roryout

• Advertisement

Any word on the injuries?

Seemingly they were playing friendlies on the Friday and then Club games the next day.

Frank's been injured and Karl I think. Haven't heard much since. I could always check the club match reports but I can't be arsed.:)

Advertisement