Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Donegal GAA Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,212 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Stoner wrote: »
    I think he's a great player, poor last year imo but he has a bit of pedigree. I thought he would develop into a top no 8 , but after last year I'm starting to look at him on the half forward line. It might help Murphy a bit more if they had an attacking understanding.

Like yourself i was hoping for a developement into the number 8 slot, but like Redsox, in the past few years I don`t know what the hell to make of him. Loads of talent and on his day capable of destroying the opposition on his own. But the lad is just so inconsistent and just seems to drift out of games.
    Very frustrating to watch at times, and in those times I can only imagine how soul destroying it must be for his team mates.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

Redsoxfan wrote: »
    Don't think I will have too many issue with the starting team, it's more how we play.
    Exactly that, I think we all want to see that there is a plan and that the team can play to that plan.
    And then there's the H McFadden issue. I have given him every chance but it doesn't look good.
    I think Rory is trying to mould him into the sweeper on the team (not sure he sees him quite in the Colm Cavanagh Tyrone role as he seemed to play further forward than Colm does). He hasn't really shone there in the league but to be fair to the lad he is still very young and if he is willing to work hard (which he does seem to be) then I think he deserves more time as it is not an easy role to learn.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

MacNiallas is a fine footballer but does not have the discipline working back the way. I think he'd be wasted in the corner as I think he's a good ball carrier but would be worth trying it out.

I think leaving 2/3 inside is an absolute must. That 1 in last year was a disaster. Ironically, we have the players for a high pressing game if we put the right personell in.

I agree with RSF in the main, players wise I doubt we'll have much of an issue in terms of personnel but probably questions over tactics and style.

FWIW I don't think Hugh McFadden is up to it. Think he's pretty shít to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

My biggest issue with MacNiallais is he is not suited to tracking back.

I always thought he would be suitable for inside forward but those who saw him there during the McKenna Cup said he was poor in there. Maybe not the best time to judge him but it's all I have to go on.

He also seems to be hot and cold with his shooting. Can score wonderful points but on other days his shot selection is awful.

Hugh McFadden seems to do what he's told. Not sure what that is. There is football in him but he also suffers awful brain farts.

I left Stephen McBrearty off my list of younger players I'd like to see this summer but he should have been on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 422 ✭✭The Assistinator

Not really sure what to make of the team mc Ginley starts and Hugh mc fadden Named in midfield apart from that more or less as expected but as with all Rory's teams so far I would expect a few changes before throw in.
    http://inishowenindo.ie/2016/06/donegal-team-v-fermanagh/

• Advertisement

From the article linked to

1 McGinley
    2 Mc Grath
    3 N McGee
    4 Lacey
    5 R McHugh
    6 McGlynn
    7 A Thompson
    8 Kavanagh
    9 H McFadden
    10 McLoone
    11 McElhinney
    12 MacNiallais
    13 McBrearty
    14 Murphy
    15 O'Reilly

Wouldn't be surprised if that team starts nor would I be surprised if there are changes...

Re E McGee, he has been tweeting a good bit lately. Struck me as not that focused but then again, who knows with that buck.

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭ghostfacekilla

Not sure about Eamonn but Neil looked a yard or two off the pace of the best forwards last year compared to previous years. I've been told he was carrying injuries so hopefully it was just that.

That absolutely hums of McBrearty inside on his own.

Or maybe I'm just being dour cause it's raining.

#roryout

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

It does doesn't it Nidge. 9, 11 and 15 drop back a line and Murphy does his thang leaving Paddy to fight a lone battle, poor fecker!
    RSF, Eamonn is always tweeting - probably drops the phone into the bag before he leaves the dressing room!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,223 ✭✭✭overshoot

i was thinking the same, although maybe hugh would stay and form a 3 man midfield to get on top there.
    then again... hard not to expect 2 or so changes so reading into teams...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭2moreMinutes

First time in years that I'm away for the championship so it's been a strange build up for me. Watching the games on Premier Sports is also gonna take getting used to but at least I won't be complaining about my season ticket this year!
    Speaking of the season ticket, is there tickets to be printed off for the game or is it just the card itself that's needed? I was in charge of all tickets the last few years for my group and they now seem pretty clueless when not being spoon fed....

My prediction, based on absolutely nothing but standard bs, is a comfortable 4-6 point victory using the same frustrating as hell tactics as last year. Rory won't want his new & improved game plan to be revealed until later in the summer.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 422 ✭✭The Assistinator

First time in years that I'm away for the championship so it's been a strange build up for me. Watching the games on Premier Sports is also gonna take getting used to but at least I won't be complaining about my season ticket this year!
    Speaking of the season ticket, is there tickets to be printed off for the game or is it just the card itself that's needed? I was in charge of all tickets the last few years for my group and they now seem pretty clueless when not being spoon fed....

My prediction, based on absolutely nothing but standard bs, is a comfortable 4-6 point victory using the same frustrating as hell tactics as last year. Rory won't want his new & improved game plan to be revealed until later in the summer.....
    Just after checking my ticket account and have to be printed also worth noting seats are all numbered can't remember that happening before in the mc cool park

Ceist_Beag wrote:
    RSF, Eamonn is always tweeting - probably drops the phone into the bag before he leaves the dressing room!

Oh I know.

I'd expect McElhinney and Murphy to operate as 3rd and 4th midfielder and Hugh to play between the full back and half back lines. Leo to play in isolation on the 45, Marty O'Reilly to play at 14. Paddy to move around, getting no good ball at any stage.

Ryan McHugh and Frank to save us.

I'd expect McElhinney and Murphy to operate as 3rd and 4th midfielder and Hugh to play between the full back and half back lines. Leo to play in isolation on the 45, Marty O'Reilly to play at 14. Paddy to move around, getting no good ball at any stage.

Ryan McHugh and Frank to save us.

Sounds familiar, the same old same old

is anyone expecting (or hoping) for something new to show there is life for us yet? My gut thinks we could have a few tricks up our sleeve and go well this year (blind optimism maybe, not based on anything in particular), my head says if we dont, Fermanagh may well beat us.

overshoot wrote: »
    is anyone expecting (or hoping) for something new to show there is life for us yet? My gut thinks we could have a few tricks up our sleeve and go well this year (blind optimism maybe, not based on anything in particular), my head says if we dont, Fermanagh may well beat us.

Unfortunately i doubt it. With Mc Fadden named at midfield when Gallagher has spent the league trying to turn him into a sweeper ala Tyrone`s Colm Cavanagh, then I`m very much afraid Redsox`s read on it is most likely spot on.
    Even at that I feel/hope we have enough to take Fermanagh unless Frank and Ryan Mc Hugh are off their game, but after that, to play that formation, it will be last year all over again. Going nowhere and looking it.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Alvin Holler

overshoot wrote: »

I'm optimistic enough for the year ahead. I don't see how people have Tyrone or Monaghan massively ahead of us, if we're in top form then we can beat them.

I can't see anything much changing in our gameplan, it's pretty much the same set of players and the younger guys don't offer much else in terms of style to what we have. We just need to be at our sharpest and use our quick running style that we use when we're at our best.

I'd like to think we will see something different. The players that were key to our success in 2012 are now four years older and the pace just isn't there anymore. Ryan McHugh is a dynamo but we need 3 or 4 more like him if we are to recreate that style. Michael Murphy's retreat from the edge of the square has brought mixed results. We will need to be inventive and accurate from our kick outs.

No idea what to expect. I doubt it will be much different from what we have seen over the past 28 or so games.

Yea that's what I have been thinking. Our gameplan has to evolve to fit the current squads attributes. Rory's ability to change it... Well we will soon find out!

• Advertisement

I'd like to think we will see something different. The players that were key to our success in 2012 are now four years older and the pace just isn't there anymore. Ryan McHugh is a dynamo but we need 3 or 4 more like him if we are to recreate that style. Michael Murphy's retreat from the edge of the square has brought mixed results. We will need to be inventive and accurate from our kick outs.

No idea what to expect. I doubt it will be much different from what we have seen over the past 28 or so games.

I`d agree with all of what you say, but with Papa gone I`m very much afraid we do not have a keeper who will be accurate let alone inventive from kick outs, and I`ve seen nothing in the league to suggest we have.
    I would never even dream of criticing the lads who have given me some of the best memories I never thought would surpass 92, but we really need to recognise that the lose of Papa within that style that achieved so much from these lads is massive, and while I think we have players still well capable of winning Ulster at the very least, from the league we are still setting up as if he is still there. For me anyway, that has got to change, and hoping tomorrow we see that. Otherwise we will really be going nowhere.
    That said wishing this team all the best tomorrow and for the rest of the championship however long it goes. These lads gave us back our pride, and they owe of nothing. Far far from it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 748 ✭✭✭boxer.fan

Like everyone here I'm looking forward to seeing something less predictable from our lads. Can't be relying on nicking an odd point here & there from Michaels long range frees. I seem to remember a lot of shots going wide last year which I hope was worked on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,461 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

so stupid, why would you forearm to the face of a player when in possession? Did know the penalty would be missed, so much time between awarding and taking, then nice delay by keeper.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭galwaylad14

Delighted to see Neil McGhee get his just deserts there, that was an absolute disgrace. Just a pity it wasn't punished full with the penalty aswell.

Good game so far, Donegal have gotten some lovely scores but backs doing too much fouling.

Hmm.

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭ghostfacekilla

Hugh McFadden seems to do what he's told. Not sure what that is. There is football in him but he also suffers awful brain farts.

I see what you mean.

Great performance by one Gaoth Dobhair man, a ridiculous lack of discipline from another.

We can't do long kickouts or short, that's going to be exploited against us. Can't fault his shot stopping but that's just not enough to be between the posts at this level.

Lazy tackling, losing focus for large periods of the match.

I can understand that when under pressure, experienced heads win you matches but Toye, Kavanagh AND McFadden.

Eoin McHugh with a promising performance, I'd recommend the rest of the talented youngsters to change their name by deed poll to McHugh to guarantee them a game.

Sorry lads but that was absolute bollocks.

Don't even know where to start. What are we doing here, really?

I would imagine Malachy and/or Mickey are at home licking their lips.

Two weeks to Monaghan now, not entirely sure why there should be any cause for optimism for the reamainder of the championship.

It seems to be abundantly clear that Gallagher is a charlatan.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭squareball1988

Whatever about our players, and we've some great ones, our main problem is the sideline.

I can see Jim tearing into Neil for that red. But can hardly see Rory do the same. And that's the difference. The players know what we know and it's hard to have respect for someone who is patently in over their head.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 748 ✭✭✭boxer.fan

It's a wee bit gut wrenching to see our stalwarts struggling their way through the match. It must be a balls knowing they have to face into Monaghan in two weeks after today. Dick Clerkin & his cohort with the chests sticking out will be way more frustrating than Fermanagh, which makes for a deplorable spectacle.

Fermanagh botched the penalty plus a few frees & hit the upright a few times as well as failed to take advantage of some gaping holes in our defence. I'm going to say we were fortunate to get the win.

A few short spells of brilliance from the lads will paper over the cracks for now.

• Advertisement

I thought we gave away too many sily frees.What has happened to our tackling, some of it today was of the lazy variety, and where has our ability to strip balls of opposing players gone ?
    Have we stopped doing tackle drills in thaining for some reason.?
    That said, some of the lesser lights showed well today. Particulary Eoin Mc Hugh and Marty Reilly. Fran Mc Glynnk excellent,as were Ryan Mc Hugh, Mc Niallais, and other than kick outs, Mc Ginley.
    I still don`t know what we are doing with Michael Murphy. 50 meters was the closest he got to the Fermanagh post in the first half and things weren`t much better in the second.
    Regardless of our kickouts, did we actually win a broken ball around mid field today?
    Hopefully Big Neil is back for Monaghan, and help with that problem, but from Monaghan v Down, Monaghan broke a lot of ball I felt they didn`t need to as they were well on top in midfield on the day, but watching I got the feeling they were doing it as part of a new system with perhaps us in mind. If so, I hope we improve in that area from today.
    Still feel there is a lot in this team, but would it be asking too much to try taking the shackles off for at least one day and and let Michael Murphy cut loose up front?

Advertisement