Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Donegal GAA Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

Strange, level without playing well. Cleaned out at midfield again. The mcHughs are getting through some amount of work. Murphy seems to be winning his battle so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

So many turnovers and terrible discipline.

Dunno if we will improve. Monaghan might convert more in the second half.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

retalivity wrote: »
    on sky sports 2, according to my stream anyway

PM it to me?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

PM it to me?

I wouldn't bother at this stage, infuriating to watch

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

Hard to know how to summarise that! Both teams capable of so much more. All I can say is thank God for the two McHughs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Kicked that game away same as last year.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

Frustrating is how I'd put it. Too many bad wides early in the second half and stupid frees given away towards the end. The messing around with the ball that was so prevalent in the league is still there, and resulted in us conceding a free when two points up. That said, McQuillan was a disgrace

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭2moreMinutes

Played reasonsbly well but kicked it away. Gonna be interesting to see how Rory was at fault for missing so many kickable frees. Will also be interesting to see if the ghost who connected with the keepers face is ever found. If he is, fair enough. If not, MA McGinley should be ashamed of himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭harpsman

Depressing that concession of soft frees cost us as we thought it would. I know we missed frees but that can't be helped. Another sending off too. Great stuff from McHughs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Poor enough game looking in from the outside imo. I thought Donegal would win it. Silly by Thomson (spelling) at the end for the late tackle although I thought he played well overall and there was only 13 on the field when he did it. I could see Donegal winning a replay as the unforced errors might be easier to fix than Monaghans shooting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,963 ✭✭✭doc_17

Moanaghan had 34 players togged out for the warm up! Same as last year. Used to be that you named 26 and everyone else sat in the stand. When did this change? Or is just another rule that Monaghan are blatantly ignoring in frony of the officials and nothing is being done?

Yes, it's plainly obvious, everything they do annoys me greatly!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

So a low point return (again), poor conversion (again), undisciplined in the tackle (again).

What we do have is serious talented footballers who have great character and won't be found wanting. Just seems that it's them who have to compensate for the failings of others and are winning (drawing!) by rote.

We shall see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,115 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

So a low point return (again), poor conversion (again), undisciplined in the tackle (again).

What we do have is serious talented footballers who have great character and won't be found wanting. Just seems that it's them who have to compensate for the failings of others and are winning (drawing!) by rote.

We shall see.

all points valid yes and especially the poor conversation rate but it was a fairly high standard of football against a top 6 side which the likes of kerry , dublin and mayo will have to wait to test there metal against for another 3 or 4 weeks at the very least

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Triboro

Any details on the replay?

Triboro wrote:
    Any details on the replay?

They said Saturday immediately afterwards. So time and venue outstanding.

Oh and it's probably worth pointing out that there won't be any TV coverage of the replay unless something is agreed between Sky and RTE (see Mayo v Kerry 2015).

Sky have the rights but are showing hurling next Saturday. RTÉ are showing a Qualifier at 3.30.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Redsoxfan wrote:
    Sky have the rights but are showing hurling next Saturday. RTÃ႒‰ are showing a Qualifier at 3.30.

I didn't even know there was a Sky Sorts 5 but it's the hurling next alright.

I think Donegal have more to work with and on than Monaghan, can the management team do it is another thing.
    13 men on the pitch when trying to hang on is poor form, that sort of thing saw James Horan down in 2013 vs the Dubs. All that said I think Horan would be a great manager for Donegal, his teams were capable of transforming into different styles and his style worked well on Ulster Teams imo.
    Even with 14 men it was there last night. Some injury worries there though too, might not be as strong heading into a replay. If you get through you'll have Neil back for the final though .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,124 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

Well that was a performance that had many of the aspects we feared but also elements that we hoped for. I was certainly happier leaving Breffni than I was arriving. There was certainly enough in that performance to give some cause for optimism

The first half was a struggle caused in the main I felt by the fact that we conceded possession to Monaghan on their kickouts. They controlled the game as a result but our defensive shape was good and the holes that appeared in the Fermanagh game weren't there last night. Monaghan kicked a number of bad wides but that was because they were kicking on our terms. We had better shape offensively too with a two man full forward line most of the time and pace being injected into the attack regularly by the half back line. Our own kick outs were a concern as the only apparent strategy was to kick them straight down the middle.
    In the second half we pressed Monaghan further up the field. We got on top everywhere but the scoreboard. Going 0-10 to 0-7 down was cause for concern with both our free takers having an off day. However we were creating chances. We carved them open for Gillespie's and McBrearty's chances as well as the move that led to Walshe's black card and the goal was beautifully worked. We showed good character to respond to everything Monaghan threw at us when we were a man down.
    Discipline is still a concern. I want to see the black card again. My initial reaction was that it was an accidental collision with the Monaghan player coming from the blindside of McElhinney but I'd like another look at it. We conceded eight points from frees but a number of them were for handling the ball on the ground. The last free given for touching the ball on the ground was clearly a free out with a Monaghan hand around the waist pulling the player back. Unfortunately when you get McQuillan you get controversy and last night was no different. I was also impressed by Rory Kavanagh's ability to break the ball on the edge of our own square after he had been substituted.
    The two McHughs were excellent. Ryan has become the player we all hoped Mark would be after 2012. Murphy was much more effective from general play and was involved in a lot of the good things we did. Our full back line were on top and Lacey and Thompson shared the sweeper duties well. There was more variety to our play and Maxi covered every blade of grass on the pitch.
    Our free taking will surely improve for the replay. We need variety on our kickouts. It appeared that Frank was being used as a sweeper on our kickouts which shows a lack of confidence in our strategy. Frank is a concern as he is obviously carrying an injury. Hopefully Marty Reilly will be fit as he played well last night.
    One final note, did anyone else notice the incident in the first half on the terrace side where a Monaghan player in possession elbowed a Donegal player in the face something all the experts have being telling us for the last two weeks is a straight red card?

Stoner wrote: »
    I didn't even know there was a Sky Sorts 5 but it's the hurling next alright.

And that won't change. Can't see the replay being televised, BBC can't show it unless RTE have it.
    Stoner wrote:
    I think Donegal have more to work with and on than Monaghan, can the management team do it is another thing.

This is the big question alright. We've all been saying it for a while now.

Well that was a performance that had many of the aspects we feared but also elements that we hoped for. I was certainly happier leaving Breffni than I was arriving. There was certainly enough in that performance to give some cause for optimism

Good post, I'd say a lot of the same things myself.
    The first half was a struggle caused in the main I felt by the fact that we conceded possession to Monaghan on their kickouts. They controlled the game as a result but our defensive shape was good and the holes that appeared in the Fermanagh game weren't there last night. Monaghan kicked a number of bad wides but that was because they were kicking on our terms. We had better shape offensively too with a two man full forward line most of the time and pace being injected into the attack regularly by the half back line.

Yeah, I felt we were conceding far to much ground to them. They used the wings really well.
    Our own kick outs were a concern as the only apparent strategy was to kick them straight down the middle.

And not only that, the ball seems to travel too slowly. We need to vary it. Once in the second half we seemed like we had drawn everyone to the left, and the ball should have been punted into the space on the right and someone should have run onto it. It's hard to lay all of the blame with the keeper for this, are outfield players making enough of an effort?
    The last free given for touching the ball on the ground was clearly a free out with a Monaghan hand around the waist pulling the player back. Unfortunately when you get McQuillan you get controversy and last night was no different.

Do you mean when Christy gave away the free deep in the Monaghan half on the stand side? I thought the same. It might have been soft enough, but he was grabbed.
    I was also impressed by Rory Kavanagh's ability to break the ball on the edge of our own square after he had been substituted.
    The two McHughs were excellent. Ryan has become the player we all hoped Mark would be after 2012. Murphy was much more effective from general play and was involved in a lot of the good things we did. Our full back line were on top and Lacey and Thompson shared the sweeper duties well. There was more variety to our play and Maxi covered every blade of grass on the pitch.

I wondered where Rory Kavanagh went when he was subbed. As for Maxi, if I heard correctly he was yapping at McManus and Dick the Hash put him on his hole. Good enough for him. I was wondering why McManus was fired up enough to give a Tyrone style fist pump. Our behaviour on the sideline is disgraceful but sure it's hardly a surprise.

Ryan McHugh is a wonderful player but he was guilty of some very sloppy play last night. Worst example was down the left in the second half where he could have sent the ball into Michael and Paddy, who were having reasonable success at winning ball/free, but instead turned back towards his own goal and kicked the ball direct to Dick. F**k knows who he was even trying to reach.

As for Eoin, well, I dunno how he got that ball to MOR for the goal assist, I was sure he had turned it over, I hope he gets new boots over the week. Still, a great addition to the team. His pace is badly needed.
    Our free taking will surely improve for the replay. We need variety on our kickouts.

You would hope so. We have no right to expect Michael to make all of those chances, but you would like to think he would be fit to make one or two. As for Paddy, that was a pretty shocking miss. On the kickouts, we can hope for better surely, it can't get much worse.
    It appeared that Frank was being used as a sweeper on our kickouts which shows a lack of confidence in our strategy. Frank is a concern as he is obviously carrying an injury.

Interesting, I didn't pick up on the sweeper at kick-outs, but it makes sense given it's no better than 50/50 we end up with the ball. He went off late in the Fermanagh game too, we need him to be ok and on the pitch at the end of the game.

One final note, did anyone else notice the incident in the first half on the terrace side where a Monaghan player in possession elbowed a Donegal player in the face something all the experts have being telling us for the last two weeks is a straight red card?

Aye. I thought the same.

Replay in Cavan at 7 next Saturday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭dog_pig

Does anyone who has the game recorded know if Colin Walshe received a yellow card in the first half? He was definitely replaced by someone after he got the black in the second.

dog_pig wrote:
    Does anyone who has the game recorded know if Colin Walshe received a yellow card in the first half? He was definitely replaced by someone after he got the black in the second.

I haven't watched it back yet but I don't recall him getting a yellow card.

The minors were a real positive yesterday. Monaghan rated their team highly and we comfortably dealt with them. The scoreboard didn't reflect our dominance.
    The movement and energy levels were impressive. We looked comfortable on the ball and we, for the most part, held our shape defensively.
    We are now guaranteed an All Ireland quarter final place and with some tweaking this team has a chance.
    Our kickouts, unfortunately, came straight from the senior team playbook. Everything was kicked long and while our midfield is excellent we still lost a number of them. We have good ball carriers and they are strong runners but we need to be smarter about bringing the ball into contact.
    What is really pleasing, in the long term, is the potential of some of the individuals. McGee and O'Donnell are both quality players on the ball, they exude class and confidence. Gallagher in midfield has an excellent engine and was the perfect foil for McGee. At full forward McGettigan had loads of ability and showed great composure to finish the penalty rebound. The keeper was also impressive.

The minors were a real positive yesterday. Monaghan rated their team highly and we comfortably dealt with them. The scoreboard didn't reflect our dominance.
    The movement and energy levels were impressive. We looked comfortable on the ball and we, for the most part, held our shape defensively.
    We are now guaranteed an All Ireland quarter final place and with some tweaking this team has a chance.
    Our kickouts, unfortunately, came straight from the senior team playbook. Everything was kicked long and while our midfield is excellent we still lost a number of them. We have good ball carriers and they are strong runners but we need to be smarter about bringing the ball into contact.
    What is really pleasing, in the long term, is the potential of some of the individuals. McGee and O'Donnell are both quality players on the ball, they exude class and confidence. Gallagher in midfield has an excellent engine and was the perfect foil for McGee. At full forward McGettigan had loads of ability and showed great composure to finish the penalty rebound. The keeper was also impressive.

I'm desperate for a minor breakthrough at AI.

That McGettigan is class.

On second viewing McElhinney was stupid especially as he was already on a yellow. Having said that it was no worse that the McManus tackle on Frank which was surely black too.

I wasn't as impressed by the Minors but that was my first time seeing them so it's hard for me to judge. Typical Minor performance, Monaghan shouldn't have got near us but they made the second half more interesting than it needed to be.

Thought Gallagher at midfield was very good. We need midfielders, it's a pity McGonagle hasn't really featured this year and Thompson got injured I guess.

Taken an appeal to the GAC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭henke

The replay isn't televised anywhere is it?

henke wrote:
    The replay isn't televised anywhere is it?

No. Might be deferred coverage on BBC.

• Advertisement

For McElhinney?

Oh, it's McGee.

Advertisement