Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Donegal GAA Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,106 ✭✭✭timmyntc

All Sports are streaming live on facebook, should be back after half time.

Disappointed by the scoreline, conceding 2 goals like that is disheartening, but I think we're unlucky really to only have a 2 point lead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

timmyntc wrote: »

Disappointed by the scoreline, conceding 2 goals like that is disheartening, but I think we're unlucky really to only have a 2 point lead.

Thanks for the tip, I've just been listening to the first half on Highland Radio. Really annoyed about the concession of what sounds like two cheap goals, but at the same time content with the performance and a half time lead

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

Sounds like we are completely on top but lack of discipline again our achilles heel. Still ten points in a half is reason for optimism.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Very good half but the two goals a killer.

For the first, two Donegal players were called to the sideline for a lecture. Didn't help.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭harpsman

Sigh indeed. Im listenin on Highland so its rasy to predict when a Monaghan goal is coming- 2 boys will start talking about how comfortable Donegal look and how little danger Monaghan posing☹️

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 792 ✭✭✭sob1467

Do you have a link to it I cannot find it :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,106 ✭✭✭timmyntc

sob1467 wrote: »
    Do you have a link to it I cannot find it :)

doesn't seem like theyre streaming 2nd half, theres a video there of the 1st though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 792 ✭✭✭sob1467

doesn't seem like theyre streaming 2nd half, theres a video there of the 1st though

Shame, thanks anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

Jesus my nerves! Fair play to the lads, sounds like we were hanging on big time. Some questions about the sideline again though, I do think they're causing problems for themselves with their use or lack of use of the bench.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

Just hard to feel anything other than dismay over the sideline.

Poor conversion, poor discipline, poor defensively again.

Just hard to see where were going.

That being said, 6 finals in a row. History made. Needs to be 4/6 not 3/6 though.

• Advertisement

Sorry for your troubles lads. But sure don't worry-We'll probably lose eventually and then you'll be able to blame everything on "the sideline".

For the moment I'd like to congratulate all involved on a fantastic win.

It was never going to be easy, no matter how it felt in the first half. Considering all that has gone before with Monaghan I'll take that. And Cavan are welcome to prove me wrong but I feel more confident about beating Tyrone than I did about Monaghan.

Up Donegal!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

17 points isn't a bad return any day against Monaghan but we made both games much harder than they should have been. The team doesn't try to kick on when a few points up.

Defensively and discipline wise much better but fcuking 2 goals. Still Tyrone conceded 3 so it seems to be going round.

Positive is McManus was about as well marked as can be hoped for and probably the slim difference in the end.

6 Ulster finals is some run, bit of a way still to go to match the great Down team of the 60's!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

K-9 wrote:
    6 Ulster finals is some run, bit of a way still to go to match the great Down team of the 60's!

Cavan did 18 in a row once AFAIK!

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭jjdonegal

harpsman wrote: »
    Sorry for your troubles lads. But sure don't worry-We'll probably lose eventually and then you'll be able to blame everything on "the sideline".

For the moment I'd like to congratulate all involved on a fantastic win.

Exactly. Absolutely sick of the lack of support Rory gets on here. Reminds me of Jims book; some people want us to fail. Can we not just be happy tbat we beat thar shower today and are in a phenomenal 6th final in a row.
    By far best team; few standout players but Marry Reilly was excellent today.
    Karl nearly cost us a goal and very silly kick pass at thr end to gift Monaghan the final attack. Overall encouraged; didn't concede thr silly scoreable frees in the frequency of past games and Murphy inside for a good part of the 1st half gave us so much space out the field which we exploited. Absolutely buzzing tonight to even the score with those guys tonight. Much more even support tonight too. Overall; delighted :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

Redsoxfan wrote: »
    Cavan did 18 in a row once AFAIK!

Thought it was 7/8. Really not sure though I suspect it'll be on wiki and will confirm.

One thing I like is that over the past 30 years (ish) we've been in half of the finals.

Obviously our return on those are fairly **** but goes to show the quality we have in our lovely little corner.

#Bringbackjohnjoe

As for wanting Donegal to lose; utter nonsense. Donegal winning is one of the few things that makes me happy. You can take pleasure in a great win like today whilst still harbouring concerns. Maybe I'm too optimistic about the talent we have at our disposal and too pessimistic about the line but hate life isn't it.

We need to get another Ulster wrapped up but I think we're pissing in the wind. Not that I won't be totally absorbed roaring the boys on in two weeks.

Cavan might have done that in the 30's to 50's, 5 All Irelands I think too, Monaghan was about the only opposition then!

Tyrone, Derry and Down all won their first Ulster in the late 50's, after Cavan's domination ended.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Alvin Holler

Really pleased with that last night. Still things to work on but a definite improvement on last week, especially attacking wise with 17 points, a nice spread of scorers and more to come from McBrearty and Murphy. With the exception of Dublin in 2014, I don't think we've scored like that since 2012.

I really like the way that Gallagher has the team set up with real pace, it often takes a young fella a couple of years to settle into championship football and Reilly is now much more involved and has added another scoring punch from deep.

I've always supported Gallagher, team spirit has always looked strong, results has been pretty good and there's no real viable alternative manager in the county. The one criticism I'd have of him yesterday is the substitutions, McLoone, EB Gallagher and even Hugh McFadden could have been brought on with 5-10 minutes to go. Lacey looked wrecked, Kavanagh was booked and Eoin McHugh turned the ball over a lot, fresh legs were needed.

That tenner I stuck on us at 22/1 for the all-ireland before last weeks game looks a little less stupid now:D

Really pleased with that last night. Still things to work on but a definite improvement on last week, especially attacking wise with 17 points, a nice spread of scorers and more to come from McBrearty and Murphy. With the exception of Dublin in 2014, I don't think we've scored like that since 2012.

I really like the way that Gallagher has the team set up with real pace, it often takes a young fella a couple of years to settle into championship football and Reilly is now much more involved and has added another scoring punch from deep.

I've always supported Gallagher, team spirit has always looked strong, results has been pretty good and there's no real viable alternative manager in the county. The one criticism I'd have of him yesterday is the substitutions, McLoone, EB Gallagher and even Hugh McFadden could have been brought on with 5-10 minutes to go. Lacey looked wrecked, Kavanagh was booked and Eoin McHugh turned the ball over a lot, fresh legs were needed.

That tenner I stuck on us at 22/1 for the all-ireland before last weeks game looks a little less stupid now:D

Good man AH great to see positivity and support for the management. Get 100% behind them. Judge them at the end of the season instead of this constant barrage of criticism I see on here.
    Indeed yoor right few handling errors yesterday which unfortunately always seemed to end up in a dangerous Monaghan attack. Reflecting after a nights sleep it does not dampen my enthusiasm for how well we looked last night. Gillespie looks like a natural ar this level and he will develop in to a serious footballer with some luck.
    Did you notice the amount of ball Paddy McGrath got in dangerous positions last night? Wrong man in right place.
    Encouraged by Mark McHugh shift last night as we need those options if we are to have any chance in 2 weels.
    I believe it'll be Tyrone who'll get there but if Cavan somehow beat them then they have finally transitioned thar underage talent into the seniors and they will be bloody tough to beat.
    In any case great to be back at what is without my question my favourite football town/ground in the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Murphy14

Mighty performance last night real determination credit to Monaghan never gave up also big well done to the management constantly adapting the tactics now here's hoping to them having something special for the final for the first time since 2012 Mark Mc Hugh looked to be back in the grove and with Neil Mc Gee back after suspension the squad starting to look strong. Roll on Clones on Ulster final day

• Advertisement

Deferred coverage of Tyrone Cavan on BBC at 630 for anyone interested.

Lads it seemed like we got alot more joy from kickouts both ours and theirs last night? Was that the case?

harpsman wrote: »
    Lads it seemed like we got alot more joy from kickouts both ours and theirs last night? Was that the case?

Very slow to pick up runners for some of the short kickouts and Monaghan had success with them bar 3/4 wayward ones. We had more joy but still feel that it's an area we have room for vast improvement but replacing Papa will take a few seasons so ill not be criticising MA for a while yet. Murphy in the middle for the last 10/15 mins ensured we won some vital kickouts. Just a pity we didn't have 2 of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭North of 32

This team feels like it's one Paul Durcan and one Neil Gallagher short of an all Ireland final

Any word on Neil? Just can't see us getting near an AI without his presence in midfield.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭North of 32

Neil is struggling with multiple injuries. Not looking good. I hope my grape vine is extremely wrong.

I'm pretty confident it was Maxi's excursions that led to the 5 minutes of injury time. And 6 minutes last week, though McGinley's antics also factored into that. They need to cut out the nonsense.

There was also several (exceptions) Monaghan fans at that game who would be happier to see Donegal lose than Monaghan win. Really really hateful individuals who should think carefully about their behaviour and what it reflects about them. Stay at home. And also to the 2 Donegal fans who were trying to keep three steps to themselves, you were inexcusably rude and arrogant. I paid for my ticket same as you. Rant over.

Tyrone it is. I think it's what we all wanted. Hi Niall!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,963 ✭✭✭doc_17

When did we last play Tyrone in an Ulster Final?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,223 ✭✭✭overshoot

doc_17 wrote: »
    When did we last play Tyrone in an Ulster Final?
    just had a look through the roll of Honour, amazingly only met them twice in finals, Tyrone won in 1989 after a replay and we won in 1972!
    edit: never played cavan, antrim or fermanagh in a final

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,124 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

jjdonegal wrote: »
    Exactly. Absolutely sick of the lack of support Rory gets on here. Reminds me of Jims book; some people want us to fail. Can we not just be happy tbat we beat thar shower today and are in a phenomenal 6th final in a row.
    By far best team; few standout players but Marry Reilly was excellent today.
    Karl nearly cost us a goal and very silly kick pass at thr end to gift Monaghan the final attack. Overall encouraged; didn't concede thr silly scoreable frees in the frequency of past games and Murphy inside for a good part of the 1st half gave us so much space out the field which we exploited. Absolutely buzzing tonight to even the score with those guys tonight. Much more even support tonight too. Overall; delighted :-)
    I haven't been overly critical of the management team in the past but they do have questions to answer from last night. The euphoria at the final whistle, at having put that shower back in their box, dissipated rapidly and was replaced by anger by the fact that inertia on the sideline nearly cost us a game where we were comfortably the better team.
    Looking at the positives we won all the important battles on the pitch. We got our match ups right and dominated most of the game. We kicked 17 points, a total that will win most games, against a side noted for the strength of their defence. With Monaghan playing a double sweeper we carried the ball forward at our ease in the first half and picked off scores from out the field. Our movement was good and we ran good support lines. Defensively we had good shape and only let a runner inside once. We pressed the final pass and starved McManus of possession. We also responded well to the two cheap goals and kicked the final two points of the first half to restore a lead a half time. The only concern at the break was that the concession of the goals would cost us.
    The first twenty minutes of the second half Monaghan pressed us higher up the pitch. McAdam coming on for them closed down a lot of the space McElhinney got in the first half and McAnespie did a man marking job on Ryan McHugh which meant we had fewer options going forward, but we still were in control of the game.
    Monaghan emptied their bench and that was where the game changed. McCarthy, McCarron and Boyle drove forward and gaps started to appear in our defence. It was obvious that some of our lads were struggling with the pace of the game but the only change was a preordained switch of Toye for McElhinney after 50 mins. Frank, Karl, Odhran, and Marty O'Reilly were obviously tiring while Rory Kavanagh had run himself into the ground. It was crying out for fresh legs but the sideline failed to act. It led directly to the red card when an obviously exhausted Kavanagh dragged down the Monaghan runner. Karl made two mistakes one of which led to the ball coming back off the crossbar. Frank went down with cramp and Odhran made a mistake which led to a score. We then brought McElhinney back on, a real kick in the teeth for the rest of the squad.
    It is now obvious our management only trusts 17/18 players. This was a game where Monaghan got a response from their young players, we left ours, other than Gillespie who was there by default and played well again, on the bench an the game nearly got away from us. Where to now for Leo, Ciaran Thompson, Stephen McBrearty, Hugh McFadden et al?
    The first goal was an astonishingly poor piece of management. Having conceded a free thirty metres out the assumption was made that McManus would take his point. Rory proceeded to call the two McHughs over to the sideline to issue instructions leaving a player free inside. It was an embarrassing goal to concede.
    The penalty was also a poor score to concede. Ryan Wylie ran a long way with the ball and even though Eoin McHugh tracked him nobody else came to meet him. From my vantage point it looked like a foul but it appeared to be outside the area and it also looked like a legitimate attempt to win the ball.
    To finish on a positive note, our kick out strategy was much improved yesterday. The majority still went long but there was better variety until the last 15 mins. At that point we isolated Murphy and everything went to him and he won all bar one. He was immense yesterday and absolutely destroyed Corey. Monaghan management were poor in not making a change there. He played a sublime ball into Paddy for a score and was winning ball he had no right to win. It was a superb display of leadership.
    We have a very good young squad who look like they are going to be around for some time to come. We have high expectations of the management because we know what this team is capable of. They certainly learnt from the drawn game, let's hope they learn from yesterday also.

Advertisement