Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Donegal GAA Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

doc_17 wrote: »
    When did we last play Tyrone in an Ulster Final?

Ah the memories, my first Ulster final was the drawn game in 1989, a scorcher of a day and sat high up on the old hill. Donegal had it won when the ref gave a shocking decision in favour of Tyrone to hand them an equaliser. Then Tyrone hammered us in the replay

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,963 ✭✭✭doc_17

Ah the memories, my first Ulster final was the drawn game in 1989, a scorcher of a day and sat high up on the old hill. Donegal had it won when the ref gave a shocking decision in favour of Tyrone to hand them an equaliser. Then Tyrone hammered us in the replay

Yeah I was at that replay. First ever game away game. I was fairly sure we hadn't played them since in a final but wanted to check!

Gonna be a tough one but so important to win it given the side of the draw we'll end up on

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭jjdonegal

Yeah I was at that replay. First ever game away game. I was fairly sure we hadn't played them since in a final but wanted to check!

Gonna be a tough one but so important to win it given the side of the draw we'll end up on

When would the loser be out again? 2 weeks after is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,212 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

jjdonegal wrote: »
    When would the loser be out again? 2 weeks after is it?

FAIK it is now 2 weeks. Changed from just the 1 two years ago.

Plenty of time for Tyrone :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

doc_17 wrote:

Important to win it for the Ulster Championship itself, it's enough for me this year. Anytime we have lost in the Final we have fallen well short in the Quarter Finals so it's the end of the line as far as I'm concerned. If we win I will start considering other opportunities!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Yep we had the first match won, shocking in the second match. I think the second match was a soaking wet day IIRC.

Anyway, at least all the hype and favouritism will be on Tyrone going in.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Alvin Holler

Redsoxfan wrote: »
    Important to win it for the Ulster Championship itself, it's enough for me this year. Anytime we have lost in the Final we have fallen well short in the Quarter Finals so it's the end of the line as far as I'm concerned. If we win I will start considering other opportunities!

This is the key point. If we lose the Ulster final we'll most probably playing Monaghan, Mayo or Cork in a qualifier and then if we win that we'll be playing Dublin in the quarters.

Whereas if we win, I'm not 100% sure but we certainly couldn't play Tyrone and probably not Monaghan so we'd be looking at Mayo. They'd have come through a tough qualifier route but i'd fancy us after a couple weeks rest.

So basically, win ulster and we're looking at Mayo-> Galway/Roscommon to get to All Ireland Final. Lose and we could be looking at Mayo -> Dublin -> Kerry.

Happy to be corrected if I've got any of this wrong!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,124 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

Never a penalty and never a black card.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Never a penalty and never a black card.

Yep, very harsh. Tony was having a fine game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭harpsman

Yeah Damien O Hagan charged head first into John Connors and ref gave a free which "Scotchy" Conway popped over. Robbery.
    I when I was younger and all Ulster games had Ulstermen reffing there would have been the perception that 6 county refs always looked after 6 county teams. May be nonsense but if Jim Currans(Tyrone) performance in the 92 final is anything to go by then it wouldn't surprise me.

Ps met OHagans brother after match in 05 and when I brought it up he laughed and said yeah he was a demon for winning those kind of frees😡

• Advertisement

It's a bit like the perception in this county where refs from, let's say they southern board teams, are always harsher on the northern teams and vice versa.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭squareball1988

What a satisfying win that was. Serious credit must go to Rory for getting the lads pumped up for another 78mins of football.

The first goal concession was a sideline mistake and all those antics are turning is into a hateful enough team. But in any event we were deserving victors.

Anthony and Rory would have been MOTM candidates had we not lost them. Murphy imperious. Marty unheralded. And E McGee had a stormer. We really hadn't a bad player on the day. N McGee will do well to get his jersey back off Gillespie. He's pure Gaoth Dobhair that young lad. M McHugh had a great cameo too. And that point (that he never should have tried) was class.

Tyrone will likely go in as favourites purely on the momentum of their 5 goals. And that's fine by me. A win would almost make me feel bad for ever doubting Rory. Hopefully it'll be a minor-senior double. Another potentially great day for Donegal in Clones.

This is the key point. If we lose the Ulster final we'll most probably playing Monaghan, Mayo or Cork in a qualifier and then if we win that we'll be playing Dublin in the quarters.

Whereas if we win, I'm not 100% sure but we certainly couldn't play Tyrone and probably not Monaghan so we'd be looking at Mayo. They'd have come through a tough qualifier route but i'd fancy us after a couple weeks rest.

So basically, win ulster and we're looking at Mayo-> Galway/Roscommon to get to All Ireland Final. Lose and we could be looking at Mayo -> Dublin -> Kerry.

Happy to be corrected if I've got any of this wrong!!
    I think we could play Monaghan again if drawn. Ideally Monaghan and Mayo would be drawn together and we get the other 4b winner-possibly Cork/Westmeath, not that Id completely write off Cork. All hypothetical, obviously. Still buzzing after taking out our Farney friends. Time to focus on Tyrone-for some reason I feel strangely relaxed about it:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

harpsman wrote: »
    Time to focus on Tyrone-for some reason I feel strangely relaxed about it:eek:

You must not have to listen to them on a daily basis! :D

Just heard that Seamus McGeady (Radio na Gaelteacht) died suddenly yesterday.

What a real shame that is. A genuine man with an obvious love for the GAA and the Irish language.

He'll be missed by many on a match day.

RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

Ah God, that's terrible news Nidge. Once again on Saturday night he brought the match into our house and I only commented today how it's often more tense listening to a match on the radio than watching on tv. Seamus was up there with the best on describing a game to the listeners.
    It's a big loss to his many listeners, his family and all who knew him.

Ar dheis De go raibh a n'anam.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,124 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

Just heard that Seamus McGeady (Radio na Gaelteacht) died suddenly yesterday.

What a real shame that is. A genuine man with an obvious love for the GAA and the Irish language.

He'll be missed by many on a match day.

RIP.
    Séamus McGeady was a genuinely decent person as well as a broadcaster of renown. He will be missed in Cloughaneely for his contribution to life in the area.
    Séamus had a life long love of sport. He played full back on a PCC soccer team that reached an All Ireland Schools final as well as for Glenea Utd. He also made many appearances for Cloughaneely. After graduating from college he started working with Radio na Gaeltachta where he brought sport to life for many native speakers.
    Suaimhneas sioraí dá anam uasal.

I know you cant read too much into it but last nights result puts our win over Monaghan into perspective.

Im sure Therone will be strong favourites now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 748 ✭✭✭boxer.fan

I know you cant read too much into it but last nights result puts our win over Monaghan into perspective.

Really was the unexpected result although teams regularly struggle at that level of the qualifiers. Hard to know what to make of the whole setup as it stands. We may not find out where we're at til we get out of Ulster by the looks of things.

Has the ref been named yet for the final?

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Not that one

Has Gillespie forced his way into the starting 15 even with Neil Mc Gee to return, or will he have a season of filling any of the 3 full back/ 6 defensive positions as first sub.
    I was impressed by him in the first game vs Monaghan.
    I didn't see second game, but match reports/player ratings in papers were ok.

Not many other changes likely, i'm a bit nervous about the negative vibes that Karl Lacey may not be able to provide to his normal standard, and long term concerns over Neil Gallagher's contribution this season.

Other than that, let them at it.... and hope for the best.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭North of 32

I think I see what you're doing ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭LilNiall

I see David Coldrick is the ref for Sunday. Was also ref in 2013 and 2015.

LilNiall wrote: »

A fine omen!

As long as it's not the poison dwarf from Sligo I'm relatively happy.

LilNiall wrote: »

In 2013 he did nothing when Mark Mc Hugh blatantly taken out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Alvin Holler

Has Gillespie forced his way into the starting 15 even with Neil Mc Gee to return, or will he have a season of filling any of the 3 full back/ 6 defensive positions as first sub.
    I was impressed by him in the first game vs Monaghan.
    I didn't see second game, but match reports/player ratings in papers were ok.

He was solid in both games, I'd probably keep him in at the expense of Thompson.

Looking forward to Sunday, an Ulster title would be absolutely massive to us but there's so much more at stake.

Interesting comments from Jim today but very few from outside the county will buy them!

He was solid in both games, I'd probably keep him in at the expense of Thompson.

Looking forward to Sunday, an Ulster title would be absolutely massive to us but there's so much more at stake.

I really liked the cut of the lad, but I`d worry he may not be as effective out in the wide open spaces as he is in a full back line. Especially v Tyrone.

Interesting comments from Jim today but very few from outside the county will buy them!

I thought myself he got it spot on. Other than ourselves 2012 and 2014 especially and Monaghan and Tyrone I haven`seen a team that can transfer from a blanket defence to attack in any meaningful manner.
    It`s just blanket and then no great ideas where they are going.

Kinda wish he hadn`t said it though.
    I`d be happy enough playing teams that keep 14 back and take all day to move the ball from defence..:)

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭dog_pig

I thought Thompson was very good, especially in the replay.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHn2zRn4zxQ

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

In fairness the same thing has been pointed out by pundits on the Sunday Game and the press for ages now, sweepers just covering space and nothing else and no outlets for attack.

When at our best it's an exciting style to watch, same as counter attacking done well in soccer. Otherwise it's horrific to watch, club football is getting ruined by it.

That old adage, the best forwards will win it is still true, some teams forget all about the forward part! The other thing is it takes a couple of years to develop properly and managers often don't get 3 years to get it working properly.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Advertisement