Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Donegal GAA Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Murphy14

This is a massive game for Donegal on Sunday for we are surely to see retirements at the end of the season and really this is a season defining game win and I think momentum drives us to the All Ireland final lose the season peters out. My big concern is as per usual were are the scores coming from we need to be above the 11 point total to win it and throne are ultra tight in defence with Colm Cavanagh and Justin Mc Mahon. Very nervous here's hoping we do the business

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

Jesus, is it only Wednesday. The next few days are going to drag. I am keeping my counsel with 'that lot'. F*ck me they are hard listened to!

Every Ulster final is huge for me and always apprehensive but this one just seems absolutely massive. Would be so, so sweet. Tyrone will have serious hunger but so will we. I think it's fairly even. We've got better players, they've got a better line. I think that gives them the advantage myself.

Hopefully the minors give us a great lift before hand and we have another day like 2014.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,212 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Not living in Donegal, so difficult a times to know what is going on team wise, but has Leo McLoone actually walked from the panel?
    There was speculation on here he had after the first Monaghan game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 748 ✭✭✭boxer.fan

Looking forward to this final. Don't suppose Aidan O'Shea's antics last week will help Michaels case for getting the odd free. The ref's are reluctant to give him any at the best of times never mind when JmcM is hanging off him for the seventy minutes.
    The frees will likely be needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Alvin Holler

charlie14 wrote: »
    Not living in Donegal, so difficult a times to know what is going on team wise, but has Leo McLoone actually walked from the panel?
    There was speculation on here he had after the first Monaghan game.

He was on the bench for the replay anyway. Pretty certain he's still on the panel.

Usually rumours and stories of unhappiness in the camp don't happen until we lose!

• Advertisement

He was on the bench for the replay anyway. Pretty certain he's still on the panel.

Usually rumours and stories of unhappiness in the camp don't happen until we lose!

Good to know thanks.
    Couldn`t make it to the replay due to work so unsure of what the story was.
    Going to be in Clones ok, and good to know McLoone is a option.
    On his game he can be a handfull for any team, but after the on off with Fermanagh I`m not sure what the story with him and management is.
    Big strong lad though, and without much cover for midfield especially with no Neil Gallagher it seems, he could be a help to have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

A fine omen!

As long as it's not the poison dwarf from Sligo I'm relatively happy.

The worst ref I've ever seen, never did us any favors either, but Duffy is 100 percent useless.

Edit: that post is worded badly, it's all about Duffy.

Jayop wrote: »
    The worst ref I've ever seen, never did us any favors either, but Duffy is 100 percent useless.

Edit: that post is worded badly, it's all about Duffy.

You won't find much disagreement about yon clouster on this thread anyway!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 310 ✭✭Beagslife

Just saw this footage. Donegal V Tyrone 1972 Ulster Final

The biggest thing to strike me was the (little) time taken over free kicks compared to some of today's exaggerated routines!

Nice to see though.

MC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

charlie14 wrote:
    Good to know thanks. Couldn`t make it to the replay due to work so unsure of what the story was. Going to be in Clones ok, and good to know McLoone is a option. On his game he can be a handfull for any team, but after the on off with Fermanagh I`m not sure what the story with him and management is. Big strong lad though, and without much cover for midfield especially with no Neil Gallagher it seems, he could be a help to have.

He was togged and participated in the warm up and drills.

Wasn't used.

Instead, Rory Kavanagh was left on when he was obviously fading and committed a lazy tackle that saw him booked and sent off.

Also, Martin McElhinney was brought back on after being taken off.

• Advertisement

Ch
    Redsoxfan wrote: »
    He was togged and participated in the warm up and drills.

Wasn't used.

Instead, Rory Kavanagh was left on when he was obviously fading and committed a lazy tackle that saw him booked and sent off.

Also, Martin McElhinney was brought back on after being taken off.

Ch***t, after that bull**t with Fermanagh, is Rory Gallagher trying to get him to walk off he panel!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

I don't really agree that the fact Monaghan are out clouds our win over them. They're still a quality team and we've found it difficult getting past them. On the flip side, Tyrone have difficulty with us so if it goes down to the wire we have the edge psychologically. I think it was well put in an earlier post. We have the better team, they have the better sideline. I'm optimistic.

Team named for 2016 Ulster Final

1 McGinley
    2 Mc Grath
    3 N McGee
    4 Gillespie
    5 R McHugh
    6 Lacey
    7 McGlynn
    8 Kavanagh
    9 MacNiallais
    10 A Thompson
    11 McElhinney
    12 E McHugh
    13 McBrearty
    14 Murphy+McMahon
    15 O'Reilly

Éamon McGee dropped after his Andy Murray tweet. Proper order.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

What did he say?

Redsoxfan wrote: »
    Team named for 2016 Ulster Final

1 McGinley
    2 Mc Grath
    3 N McGee
    4 Gillespie
    5 R McHugh
    6 Lacey
    7 McGlynn
    8 Kavanagh
    9 MacNiallais
    10 A Thompson
    11 McElhinney
    12 E McHugh
    13 McBrearty
    14 Murphy+McMahon
    15 O'Reilly

Éamon McGee dropped after his Andy Murray tweet. Proper order.

Ha! Hear hear.
    Jayop wrote: »
    What did he say?

T'was awful stuff. Couldn't repeat it.

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭ghostfacekilla

Unbelievable that we have youngsters that are able to keep a talent like Eamonn out of the team, that's presuming that this is who will actually start.
    Obviously some serious work going on around the county at underage level and something obviously in the water in Gaoth Dobhair.

Confidence ebbing, just because.

Hopefully tired legs and niggles will have healed since Monaghan.

Take it that Michael will get same treatment as last year. He was able to turn the tables on Corey the last few days but he looks done. Michael not 100% so impact could be limited against yer man.

Paddy will need to have a game, even though we have the likes of MacNiallais and O'Reilly to chip in with scores.

Ryan may get more of a look than he did against Monaghan which would be welcome.

Big game for his brother. The development has been encouraging but he is a defensive weakness.

Will MacNiallais bring the intensity? Hopefully. Not guaranteed.

Good to have Neil back. Wouldn't surprise me if his brother starts and Lacey loses out.

Will they kick their frees? That's a big issue.

Devlin/Rory/Maxi. Yay. Saint Mickey will stand back and let them at it.

Would be typical if they finally beat us in a Final.

Up Donegal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭2moreMinutes

Donegal at 7/4 will be easiest money made this summer. Yup, confidence is sky high

Donegal at 7/4 will be easiest money made this summer. Yup, confidence is sky high

Down with that sort of talk

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭jjdonegal

I like your confidence. I wish I shared it. Let's pray come 340 tomo that you are correct. I just think theu cannot keep losing to us and I have an awful feeling tomo they will have the turnaround we had in 2011. God how I hope I'm wrong. Safe travels to all driving; let's hope there is some jubilant people on here tomo evening.

• Advertisement

Use of subs has to be better today. And it would be nice to finish with 15 players plus one Maor Foirne on the pitch.

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭ghostfacekilla

#roryout

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

That was appalling stuff in the second half, is that actually meant to be a gameplan?

Rory Gallagher get the f*ck out of my county you utter; utter charlatan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 748 ✭✭✭boxer.fan

Time for a change. Our lads are too good to be playing like that. Today's game was there for the taking

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 422 ✭✭The Assistinator

****ing shocking I hope Rory does the decent thing and ****s off absolutely flabbergasted he (as dunphy would say) is a complete spoofer living of Jim mcguinness name.
    On a side note can we just give a walkover to Mayo or cork can't take another embarrassment at the hands of mayo :P

That's two Ulster finals in a row pissed away because of that ****ehawk.

The Donegal media need to start calling this as it is. Those players are too good to be hamstrung by that f*ckwit.

Maxi Curran is some embarrassment too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,106 ✭✭✭timmyntc

The team can & have played better than that, and they should have today also.
    However to lay all the blame at the feet of management for that spectacle is a bit disingenuous.

Tyrone had 15 men behind the ball for large portions of the game, and completely shut us out from 45m out.
    You cant just lump a ball in there and hope the inside forwards gets it, you also cant hit pot shots from 50m+ out
    Both teams contributed to that spectacle, Tyrone moreso with all men back. Donegal were too slow in the changeover from defence->attack whereas when tyrone got the ball, they had intent and looked like they were going to score.
    Also the heat in Clones was crazy, way hotter than people seem to think. It was not ideal conditions for football, it was sweltering hot. We were tired just from standing in the hill (probably says more about me than the weather), still to blame the entire game on Donegal or indeed on simply rory, is a cop out.

Roll on Cork, & lets hope for some open and expansive football as we bounce back /optimism

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭eddie73

Hard luck to the lads, and congrats to the minors.

Analysing things at this early stage, I think that we just blinked the first at the very end of the 2nd half. We almost did the impossible, namely, winning a game by possession football rather than trying to score at all. I think this has got to change.

Is murphy injured? He looked like he was totally locked down today. Why were the forwards not trying to shoot in the 2nd half? They missed 4 in a row at the start of the 1st before they got going. It is a pity for the lads they didnt do the same in the 2nd as they could have gotten one or 2 other points. The days of trying to get frees around the opponents 30 metre line are now done. A ref is not going to give a team this if they set up to look for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 422 ✭✭The Assistinator

timmyntc wrote: »
    The team can & have played better than that, and they should have today also.
    However to lay all the blame at the feet of management for that spectacle is a bit disingenuous.

Tyrone had 15 men behind the ball for large portions of the game, and completely shut us out from 45m out.
    You cant just lump a ball in there and hope the inside forwards gets it, you also cant hit pot shots from 50m+ out
    Both teams contributed to that spectacle, Tyrone moreso with all men back. Donegal were too slow in the changeover from defence->attack whereas when tyrone got the ball, they had intent and looked like they were going to score.
    Also the heat in Clones was crazy, way hotter than people seem to think. It was not ideal conditions for football, it was sweltering hot. We were tired just from standing in the hill (probably says more about me than the weather), still to blame the entire game on Donegal or indeed on simply rory, is a cop out.

Roll on Cork, & lets hope for some open and expansive football as we bounce back /optimism
    Agree about conditions and the game but the blame lays with Rory for the way Donegal played today simply put no plan b this ****ing about taking men off and putting them back on, what the hell is that about when u have how many men sitting waiting for an opportunity to impress.
    It's not just this campaign either its throughout his tenure silly mistakes taking of the wrong man when it's clear as day another man could be out on his feet, persisting with tactics when it's obvious it's not working, look back at the Monaghan game and how the hell did we only beat them by a point just too many mistakes and cockups to mention.
    The big question to ask is are we in better shape now than we where when he took over? Simply put no IMO

Advertisement