Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Donegal GAA Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭babybuilder

Just back. Everything that supporters on this thread have been saying has come to pass. I thought we had control of the game in the first half without really dominating it or threatening their goals. But the second half was a football abomination.

When we kicked the ball long (an essential aspect considering the conditions) our perennial weakness in midfeld was exposed. What the hell was Martin McElhinney doing going up with McNiallais to contest the ball when he could see how the play was developing? Other times there was no body contesting the break. The short kick outs actually worked against us in the second half as we had expended so much energy in the first half getting up and down the field. We allowed Tyrone so much time to filter back and again there was no direct ball either into the channels or full forward line. Our lack of fitness or miles on the clock - take your choice - compared to Tyrone really undone us in the end up. Gallagher and his coaches must take full responsibility for these sordid tactics. 90% of your average supporter would love to see Donegal winning irrespective of how we play. I'm not one of them. In fact us scraping a win today would have left a bad taste in the mouth. We are a team afraid of taking risks, playing with a fear and too many players making the wrong decisions on the field.
    There were several key plays in the match. Colm Mc Fadden's inept and uncommitted movement towards the pass inside was indicative of his malaise. Why was he on? Rory Kavanagh running down blind alleys and coughed up - as he has been doing - possession and gifted Tyrone a point shortly after. Karl Lacey's looped foot pass to Gillespie. Should he not have taken his point?

Ryan McHugh has a great first half but fizzled out in the second. Murphy was spent in the end. Usuals tried McGlynn and though that the full back line did well. Great to see minors winning but like the seniors they indulge the running game too much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭Mackas_view

Just back. Everything that supporters on this thread have been saying has come to pass. I thought we had control of the game in the first half without really dominating it or threatening their goals. But the second half was a football abomination.

When we kicked the ball long (an essential aspect considering the conditions) our perennial weakness in midfeld was exposed. What the hell was Martin McElhinney doing going up with McNiallais to contest the ball when he could see how the play was developing? Other times there was no body contesting the break. The short kick outs actually worked against us in the second half as we had expended so much energy in the first half getting up and down the field. We allowed Tyrone so much time to filter back and again there was no direct ball either into the channels or full forward line. Our lack of fitness or miles on the clock - take your choice - compared to Tyrone really undone us in the end up. Gallagher and his coaches must take full responsibility for these sordid tactics. 90% of your average supporter would love to see Donegal winning irrespective of how we play. I'm not one of them. In fact us scraping a win today would have left a bad taste in the mouth. We are a team afraid of taking risks, playing with a fear and too many players making the wrong decisions on the field.
    There were several key plays in the match. Colm Mc Fadden's inept and uncommitted movement towards the pass inside was indicative of his malaise. Why was he on? Rory Kavanagh running down blind alleys and coughed up - as he has been doing - possession and gifted Tyrone a point shortly after. Karl Lacey's looped foot pass to Gillespie. Should he not have taken his point?

Ryan McHugh has a great first half but fizzled out in the second. Murphy was spent in the end. Usuals tried McGlynn and though that the full back line did well. Great to see minors winning but like the seniors they indulge the running game too much.

Have to agree with everything said above. On the last part. Ryan McHugh was MOTM in the first half. Peter Harte wasn't in the game. Mickey copped it and changed it second half and made 18 do a man marking job on Ryan. Took Ryan out of the game and let Harte do as he pleased. Rory failed to even try and address this. He is very very limited tactically. As Disgusted as I've ever been leaving clones.

Two words; No Balls

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 185 ✭✭DonegalBay

Due to work commitments, this was my first Championhip game since 2013. It was truly awful, even when we were leading at HT, I still thought it was terrible to watch. No real atmosphere either which I thing was down to the lack of quality or intensity.

I would rather see us losing playing a blood and guts type of football with passion, skill and bravery than losing like we did did today. I was praying it wouldn't end in a draw and dont think I could watch anymore of that dross.
    Sad to say but this is not the Donegal I want to see. Truly horiffic.

On a brighter note, well done to the Minors.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭jjdonegal

timmyntc wrote: »
    The team can & have played better than that, and they should have today also.
    However to lay all the blame at the feet of management for that spectacle is a bit disingenuous.

Tyrone had 15 men behind the ball for large portions of the game, and completely shut us out from 45m out.
    You cant just lump a ball in there and hope the inside forwards gets it, you also cant hit pot shots from 50m+ out
    Both teams contributed to that spectacle, Tyrone moreso with all men back. Donegal were too slow in the changeover from defence->attack whereas when tyrone got the ball, they had intent and looked like they were going to score.
    Also the heat in Clones was crazy, way hotter than people seem to think. It was not ideal conditions for football, it was sweltering hot. We were tired just from standing in the hill (probably says more about me than the weather), still to blame the entire game on Donegal or indeed on simply rory, is a cop out.

Roll on Cork, & lets hope for some open and expansive football as we bounce back /optimism

100% agree I think the continual Rory bashing on here is very, very unfair on a man who took on a rather thankless job in the aftermath of Jim. I'll admit there was instances today where the line were slow to / didn't react / made some questionable calls - i.e bringing Tony back on when he was lucky not to have a 2nd yellow and you see good footballers like Leo sitting on the bench who would surely have burst a gut with 3.5 minutes of normal time left. Likewise there was a failure to adjust to the changing role/dominance Peter Harte exerted in the 2nd half. I would be interested to see who you want to replace Rory? And be realistic and dont be spoofing crap like Jim as much as we all would love that. Remember who went for the job lads - Cathal Corey; Paddy Carr and someone else who I cannot remember. Would you prefer one of them? What can they bring that would bring such a vast difference to what we seen today?

Yes we lost a game we could have won but you cannot blame the line for the most shocking reffing display I seen in a long time in that 2nd half. McGlynn clear free which would have put us two up going in to injury time off the top of my head plus numerous niggly fouls that were not given. The group of us all agree you could not won a match with the way that game was reffed with us receiving no breaks whatsoever.

The perfect ball in to Colm at the end summed him up. Offers nothing anymore and it is a shame to see. Cannot help thinking if it was Leo there instead which can be taken as a criticism of the decision to bring on Colm. Again though the bloody ball was absolutely perfect in to him and his handling was diabolical and infuriating watching on.

Whilst I did say it was a game that we could have won; I feel Tyrone deserved the win and after coming home and watching the game; they were unlucky not to have a penalty and McShane's black card was extremely harsh. I'm still fuming with Coldrick; I really really am but perhaps I am the only one on here who felt he was a disgrace.

Anyway season is over. If we get over Cork/Mayo I have been told we will play Dublin (my information might be wrong??) who being fresh would absolutely steamroll us. I am dreading it. In any case cannot see us getting past Mayo in any circumstances and Cork would probably offer us serious problems too. An absolute disaster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 792 ✭✭✭sob1467

jjdonegal wrote: »

Anyway season is over. If we get over Cork/Mayo I have been told we will play Dublin (my information might be wrong??) who being fresh would absolutely steamroll us. I am dreading it. In any case cannot see us getting past Mayo in any circumstances and Cork would probably offer us serious problems too. An absolute disaster.

This is correct, season is as good as over, the winners of our match vs. Mayo or Cork will meet Dublin in qf and the team likely to progress to the AI Semi will be Kerry.

Saw it discussed here this morning: http://www.balls.ie/gaa/all-ireland-football-championship-draw/339973

It was win today and get the easier side of the AI draw, or lose and get an almost impossible route to the AI Final.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Just hard to feel anything other than dismay over the sideline.

Poor conversion, poor discipline, poor defensively again.

Just hard to see where were going.

That being said, 6 finals in a row. History made. Needs to be 4/6 not 3/6 though.

Well Nidge, I thought this was OTT after the win against Monaghan, but I was fooled by what I saw during the first half that night.

We didn't deserve to win today. Despite leading by four points early in the second half (and by a point after 69 minutes!), we played no football thereafter and Tyrone took their scores when it mattered most. If heard right, we took six shots in the second half, scoring four times (that's an outstanding conversion rate if it's correct....)

It's sad when our players don't even same like they're able to kick the ball 30 yards anymore (see Mark McHugh late on today) - they are so conditioned to the wash, rinse, repeat tactic that they can't do it when they need to do it.

FFS, Tyrone's tactics were obvious. Yes, they were very defensive, but how is that a surprise? Keeping the ball is fine, but we created no chances at the end of all that possession. Poor Frank McGlynn, at least he showed he was willing to try and break the line, but he was laid out at the end of it. Other than the ball Lacey played into Gillespie, I don't recall any other attempt to get the ball into the scoring zone.

Big Neil is sorely missed at midfield. Our returns from going long were very poor but that was as much down to the fact we were second best to pretty much every breaking ball vs just getting beaten in the air.

And the subs. Jesus Christ. Who else can see the sense in bringing Anthony Thompson and Rory Kavanagh back on ahead of Leo McLoone? In fact, wouldn't Leo be ideal to try and run through Tyrone tacklers if that's the tactic? Colm McFadden for Paddy? Why? What on earth does Colm give you that Paddy can't? Like the league match in Castleblayney, he fumbled away the one ball that came his way.

Doesn't really matter what happens next. We had a great opportunity for an Ulster title and a really good shot at making it to an All Ireland Final, but that chance is gone. No idea what to expect if we play Cork. If we end up playing Mayo, well, I don't see how it will be any different from last year.

Fair play to the Minors. An awful start and Gallagher should really have gone for goal at the end , but they don't make like easy for themselves. Not sure how Niall O'Donnell will look at senior level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 748 ✭✭✭boxer.fan

As I said earlier we need a change in management. The system of play needs changing up. There were a multitude of failures today & the management need to accept responsibility.

Taking points from long range has been proven unsustainable into the second half for a good few years now. The whole nation is aware of that.

Playing "keep ball" for extended periods of time has resulted in our lads switching off & almost getting bored. Quality opposition have always made us pay dearly for doing it in the past. Kerry, Cork, Dublin comes to mind. And we did it today to defend a one point lead with heaps of time left?? Shocking.

What the hell was Paddy doing hanging around the square? A player probably in the top 3 list of corner backs in the country?

Karl Lacey who made player of the year by making solo runs up the wing sitting at chb?

What's the deal with bringing subbed players back on? It worked really well with the likes of Peter Canavan & Henry Shefflin. But those guys were exceptional. No harm to Thompson or Kavanagh but they're not in the same league & would never make the same difference in a match.

Most blanket teams hate the sight of a fresh Christy Toye coming on. He should have been on ten minutes earlier today when he really could have made the difference.

Rory Gallagher earned the right to manage the team for his contribution alongside Jim. But he tries too much to think outside the box & it is being counter productive.
    I firmly believe there is another all Ireland in them lads. This year was a great opportunity. Mayo are not clicking properly. Dublin are not the same outfit as last year & are likely to be found out. Kerry don't know where they are at.

The qualifying round awaits, Cork are all over the shop. Would be a right balls to bow out then.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

Such a load of ****ing sh*te.

I'll do a proper post whenever I get a chance tomorrow but that was abolished diarrhoea.

A point up a minute to go thinking 'how the **** do we deserve this'.

Pisstake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭babybuilder

boxer.fan wrote: »
    As I said earlier we need a change in management. The system of play needs changing up. There were a multitude of failures today & the management need to accept responsibility.

Taking points from long range has been proven unsustainable into the second half for a good few years now. The whole nation is aware of that.

Playing "keep ball" for extended periods of time has resulted in our lads switching off & almost getting bored. Quality opposition have always made us pay dearly for doing it in the past. Kerry, Cork, Dublin comes to mind. And we did it today to defend a one point lead with heaps of time left?? Shocking.

What the hell was Paddy doing hanging around the square? A player probably in the top 3 list of corner backs in the country?

Karl Lacey who made player of the year by making solo runs up the wing sitting at chb?

What's the deal with bringing subbed players back on? It worked really well with the likes of Peter Canavan & Henry Shefflin. But those guys were exceptional. No harm to Thompson or Kavanagh but they're not in the same league & would never make the same difference in a match.

Most blanket teams hate the sight of a fresh Christy Toye coming on. He should have been on ten minutes earlier today when he really could have made the difference.

Rory Gallagher earned the right to manage the team for his contribution alongside Jim. But he tries too much to think outside the box & it is being counter productive.
    I firmly believe there is another all Ireland in them lads. This year was a great opportunity. Mayo are not clicking properly. Dublin are not the same outfit as last year & are likely to be found out. Kerry don't know where they are at.

The qualifying round awaits, Cork are all over the shop. Would be a right balls to bow out then.

Agree. Changes should have been made earlier. I think Tyrone will become the force in Ulster once again. We will struggle to stay with them from now on. They should have been awarded a penalty.
    For 5 to 10 minutes during the second half Murphy wasn't been double marked but no quick or long balls were put in.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭North of 32

Leo McLoone is an all Ireland winner. He has proven himself at this level. I think Rory's refusal to bring him on is reason enough to look for another manager. It drives me crazy. Bringing back on players on a yellow, while Leo sits. We don't have the squad for stupidity like that. And that's before we even talk about the complete absence of tactical ideas in the 2nd half. I'm not even a Glenties man.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭buckfasterer

So we got Cork. Neutral venue and time announced later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭Judge Trudy

Agree. Changes should have been made earlier. I think Tyrone will become the force in Ulster once again. We will struggle to stay with them from now on. They should have been awarded a penalty.
    For 5 to 10 minutes during the second half Murphy wasn't been double marked but no quick or long balls were put in.

I don't see what you see at all. Tyrone won the game in the space of two minutes of a 7 minute extra time period. We had a firm grip on them for most the match. They don't have the talent like yester year. One thing I will say is I wish that there weren't so many yo yo sub changes at the tail end of the match. We needed a bit of stability at that stage. Roll on Cork and let's get some positivity going.

The more I think about it, watching Donegal yesterday felt like watching Manchester United for the last few seasons. Boring boring possession football, no end product and then getting caught out at the end of the game cause they didn't have the balls to go for it. You could see it coming and we were relying on Tyrone to miss their chances at the end, rather than us scoring to put it out of reach.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭harpsman

Great occasion yesterday- the heat and colour reminded me of my first Ulster final in 89. Obviously very dissapointed as this would have been a sweet one to win, but no complaints- Tyrone were definitely the better team and 3 of their last 4 points were as good scores as you will ever see.

Reasons why we lost imo-

1) Tyrone have a better squad of players, and certainly have more athletic power particularly around the middle 8 than us.

2) The very hot day- I always felt we would struggle in that heat as we have a few players who dont have the engines anymore whereas Tyrone are probably the 2nd most aerobically fit team in the country.
    Also our only game plan seems to be to quick handpassing through the opponents defence, which has a low margin for error and tends to fall apart when we get a bit tired.

3) no penetration. On the above point if you look at our scores yesterday we never really got behind their defence yesterday-apart possibly from McBreartys point when Murphy caught the throw in and piled straight through the middle. The rest of our points came from frees our kicks from distance. This worked fine in the first half when we must have been playing with the breeze, but once Tyrone filled up the scoring zone in the 2nd half we had no plan B.

Over the course of the 80 minutes Tyrone were definitely the better team, and probably wont play as bad as they did in the first half again I would have a couple of large gripes with management.

Firstly I find it hard to fathom that when in the 2nd half plan A was a complete failure we didnt hit a few kicks into Murphy and McB. At one stage they were in there 2 on 2 and we still never thought about it. What did we have to lose? They went 20 minutes without even getting a shot in and Murphy was doing nothing out the field surely a bit of variation would have been worth a try. At the very least it might have made Tyrone drop a couple of players back and created a bit more space further out.

Also as said the subs were baffling as well. Like bringin Tommo back on? Seriously?

Anyway, we now have the slow death of the back door.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,963 ✭✭✭doc_17

boxer.fan wrote: »

Karl Lacey who made player of the year by making solo runs up the wing sitting at chb

Lacey was chb in 2012 when he was made player of the year. Not sure how able he is to fly up the wing too often these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭bob skunkhouse

I'm not sure you watched the same game as I did. We had a firm grip on them for the first half but we were very poor in the second half. We were 4 points up within a few mins of the restart. A firm grip on the game wouldn't have resulted in a 6 point turn around.

Donegal were abject in the second half. There was zero evidence of a 'plan B' and when the pressure came on from Tyrone with them eating into the 4 point lead, the line did nothing to counteract it.
    1)Why bring AT back on? Shows a complete lack of faith towards the players on the bench.
    2)Why stick Murphy up FF towards the end of the game and not once deliver a long ball to him. He was left 1 on 1 and no ball came to him. Same situation happened v Roscommon in the league and we got 2 points from him when ball did arrive.
    3)Why the delay in bringing CT into the game. He scored a great point within a few mins of coming on. Given the heat of the day and the tiring legs out there, I dont know why we didn't go all out attack. With CT and Leo on, serious ball carriers, it would have meant Tyrone would have needed a change in tact. This nonsense off defending a point lead simply doesn't work.
    4)Towards the end of the game our FF line consisted of PmcG, PmcB, and EmcG....FFS! 2 defenders and one attacker!! Where's the logic in that?
    5)PmcB, while some would argue he's our best shooter, needs to show for the ball a bit better. To many times he's stuck on the edge of the square with no movement. The first point of the second half resulted in him making a darting run to accept the ball of Murphy. Why not do this more often? We reaped a point from this direct running, pass, shoot strategy but yet play after play we revert back to the slow build up which gives the opposition time to down the blanket.
    6) Taking in the league games and championship games since RG has been No1 there's a few observations to be noted -
    a) When the chips are down or plan A isn't working, I've never seen a plan B. Not every team plays the same and surely other scenarios must be considered.
    b) Our in ability to defend a lead is something to consider. 7 points up v Monaghan in the league resulting in a drawn game and 4 point lead yesterday resulting in a two point defeat!
    c) Is it just me or with every game passing I see confidence wain from Murphy? I'm not surprised playing this style of football. One of the best forwards in the country and he's spending more time defending than attacking. If you take out his dead ball scores I wouldn't be surprised to see some of our defenders/MF'ers higher up the scoring charts than him!

BTW - 2 sideline balls inside the 13 going for points. What's that all about!!!?

Pass it sideways to the wing. Solo run the ball 10 yards and turn back. Pass it back inside. Pass it to the other wing. Solo run the ball 10 yards and get isolated. Get turned over.

Pass it sideways to the wing. Solo run the ball, get isolated, pass it back inside. Get swallowed up in the middle.

And repeat ad nauseum.

I could go on about how poor we were yesterday but it's just the same thing after ever match under Gallagher. Donegal are going nowhere with him drunk at the wheel cloustering around.

Bleats on dropping hollow soundbites while the team keep making the same mistakes over and over and over again.

What was that Einstein said about stupidity? Doing the same thing and expecting different results. Madness. The county board need to nip this in the bud at the end of the summer and end this entire charade.

I've been surprised at the amount of guff and puff in the media about Tyrone this summer. I don't think it's warranted to the extent it has been and there was nothing there yesterday to cause me to revise my opinion. It's not like we were playing a team who were far better or anything like that.

You could see the difference in preparation though. One team who were focused committed, calm and ready to surge in numbers when required. Who made the right changes at the right time and made the right tactical calls at the right time.

Meanwhile when we need calm heads for our kick out late on Maxi Curran is running onto the pitch screaming at our goalkeeper. For the 128th time in the match.

I said a few weeks ago that our quality is such that they will beat most of the teams in the country by rote. The likes of Fermanagh etc. To compete against the top 6 in Championship you need a competent management. We don't have it.

We are fooling ourselves and the players deserve better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭2moreMinutes

One of the criticisms of Leo over the last few years has been his eagerness to carry the ball into tackles before inevitably losing it. Yes I think he should have been brought in yesterday as fresh legs but let's not revise history by turning him into a better player for every minute he doesn't play.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭bob skunkhouse

Pass it sideways to the wing. Solo run the ball 10 yards and turn back. Pass it back inside. Pass it to the other wing. Solo run the ball 10 yards and get isolated. Get turned over.

Pass it sideways to the wing. Solo run the ball, get isolated, pass it back inside. Get swallowed up in the middle.

But they couldn't even do this right! In the second half I noticed this time and again (as I was closer to the action). OMacN or PMcB get the ball out around the 30 mtre mark and solo with the ball moving it towards the stand side. Both left footed players....Tyrone were wise to this and didn't commit defenders to the attacker/tackle. They knew that neither could take a shot on the right foot so evidently when the ball arrived to a right footed player he was to close to the stand side, and out of distance for a shot. The ball is now recycled back along the same axis (or perhaps back) with the direction of play now facing 'the hill'. This time around we've a right footed players soloing the ball, who cant kick on his left foot!All Tyrone have to do is give them the 2 or 3 metres to close off the gaps for the runners and the same play develops over and over again. Now if we switch the players - where OMacN solos on his left - towards the hill, those 2 or 3 metres is now ample time for a left footed kicker to get a shot away from the left side. I counted 4 instances of this happening in the second half alone before I concentrated on working on the tan.

But they couldn't even do this right! In the second half I noticed this time and again (as I was closer to the action). OMacN or PMcB get the ball out around the 30 mtre mark and solo with the ball moving it towards the stand side. Both left footed players....Tyrone were wise to this and didn't commit defenders to the attacker/tackle. They knew that neither could take a shot on the right foot so evidently when the ball arrived to a right footed player he was to close to the stand side, and out of distance for a shot. The ball is now recycled back along the same axis (or perhaps back) with the direction of play now facing 'the hill'. This time around we've a right footed players soloing the ball, who cant kick on his left foot!All Tyrone have to do is give them the 2 or 3 metres to close off the gaps for the runners and the same play develops over and over again. Now if we switch the players - where OMacN solos on his left - towards the hill, those 2 or 3 metres is now ample time for a left footed kicker to get a shot away from the left side. I counted 4 instances of this happening in the second half alone before I concentrated on working on the tan.

Laughable stuff. If you didn't laugh you'd cry!

• Advertisement

So now the lads have to pick themselves up to take on Cork. It's pretty clear that Cork are not in the best of shape as a team but they have some great individual players who can carry them over the line.
    Are we going to witness similar S***e or will we go for the jugular & hit Cork while they are down so to speak?

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭North of 32

No one has come close to doing that.
    Sometimes when you shoot, you miss. Sometimes when you're tasked with breaking tackles you turn the ball over.

The simple fact is that he's good enough to add something but is just ignored while tired, booked players are recycled.

Where do we reckon the game will be on? Galway? Or a double header in croker?

Croke park Saturday week. Minors at 2pm, Seniors at 4pm.

So it's a double header on the Saturday. Minors on before. Donegal game at 4, Mayo at 6.

https://twitter.com/officialdonegal/status/755027108875952129

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,223 ✭✭✭overshoot

My thoughts too, posted this to fb yesterday, seemed appropriate!

anyway thought I would have calmed down a bit but nope, any faith in Gallagher is shattered now. Even in terms of keeping him there as a best of whats in the county.

-As others said, I was baffled by Thompson coming on. He was lucky not to get a black card directly after his yellow and had been poor anyway. It seemed the type of game McLoone would have reveled. As two more minutes said he may have been turned over a few times but we may have got into the odd scoring position rather than going back and forth 50m out. Its the lack of a plan b... why not try something different?
    -The 'gameplan' :rolleyes: is so drilled into players there is no room for creativity. It was repeat rise and repeat and tyrone had our measure. Just once it was kicked into Murphy/McBrearty and we got a 45 and pointed it. McBrearty did make runs but never looked for, Murphy too when there, can see why its disheartening. We often had 10men (hard to believe) ahead of the ball but it had to be handpassed with no risk so it was backwards.
    edit_just to add to this point. I have been trying to put my finger on the attacking strategy and the closest I can come is one touch passing drills from soccer as a way around, setting men all through the blanket. The problem with this is in soccer its genuinely one touch. In gaa you have to receive and strike it. It takes longer giving the defender the extra split second... and that is before you consider how familiar you are with team mates and if you know exactly where he is going to be.... ie just how good the drilling by management is.

-Brings me to the next point, a lot saying we had the measure of Tyrone, I disagree, we were entirely equal. We only led first half thanks to booming points from McHugh/MacNiallais shooting over their defence. How often did we penetrate their defence first half? These were individual efforts (hardly tactics), hitable with the breeze but never going work second half - of course Harte also mitigated McHugh second half. Something Rory had no answer for.

I quite enjoyed watching McGuinness football even though it was a similar system. Why, because there was always that swift defined attacking strategy that accompanied the defensive system. The team went out to win the game on both ends of the scoreboard (with the exception of Dublin 2011). This is why most of the imitations fail, the teams either dont have the players or the competency in management to carry it through. Personally I think we still have some of the best ball carriers in ireland so you have to look towards the latter imo.

overshoot wrote: »
    My thoughts too, posted this to fb yesterday, seemed appropriate!

I quite enjoyed watching McGuinness football even though it was a similar system. Why, because there was always that swift defined attacking strategy that accompanied the defensive system. The team went out to win the game on both ends of the scoreboard (with the exception of Dublin 2011). This is why most of the imitations fail, the teams either dont have the players or the competency in management to carry it through. Personally I think we still have some of the best ball carriers in ireland so you have to look towards the latter imo.

^^^^ This

Jim raised the bar & it took other counties a few years to catchup. Now the rest of the country has caught up & figured out how to beat the "blanket".

We simply haven't developed & it's very frustrating when we have the players. Ok our bench is not spectacular but it never has been. It's often suggested that we don't have a suitable replacement manager, but if we don't put it out there we will never develop. Everyone is replaceable.

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭ghostfacekilla

I'd even take Joe Kernan at this point...

It'd probably ensure the retirements of the old guard who wouldn't be able to stomach it....

Two birds, one stone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,963 ✭✭✭doc_17

2nd card was definitely a black one. A trip is a black card. First one was harsh for them. Rory Kavanaghs yellow was a harsh yellow, no where near a black card as it doesn't meet the criteria of being a body check, dissent, trip, or deliberate pull to the ground.

Tommy Carr, in case you're reading, You can't give Kavanagh a black card just because you gave Tyrone 2 black cards just before if he didn't commit a foul that fits the criteria of being a black card. Bernard Flynn was saying something on the radio.

Should have been a free for frank. Wasn't shoulder to shoulder. Slightly from behind. Can't believe Colm didn't hold on to that ball in. Was the winning only the game as Ryan was up it would have been a simple layoff

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

This is worth a read

http://www.the42.ie/tyrone-donegal-ulster-sfc-analysis-2883914-Jul2016/

And here are the ugly ugly stats

https://twitter.com/dontfoul/status/755021892776562688

We could bitch about a few decisions the referee made, but I'm sure Tyrone could as well. I'd rather not distract from the main issue, which was our own tactics.

When you think back to the 2nd half of last year's Ulster Final, the tactics then were crap as well I felt - constantly shooting without trying to work better opportunities. This year was a complete opposite. No shots at all!

I don't think anybody is claiming Leo McLoone is the second coming of Brian Roper, but he he is an option that should have been used, and not just yesterday. The tactic of reintroducing booked/tired players ahead of him is inexcusable - as was pointed out, this is the sort of trick that is very rarely used whereas we have now seen it in each game in Ulster this year. Genius? I doubt it.

Of course, there are issues with some of the players. Michael isn't fully fit, so he is probably limited to some extent, but it's impossible to determine what the impact is. And maybe Paddy McBrearty doesn't make the runs we would like to see him make, but how much of that is down to the fact that he knows it's a wasted effort.

People say they are sick of the negativity towards our current manager. Well, his actions and his tactics don't endear him to many of us it seems. Sunday wasn't a surprise to anyone who's been watching for the past few years. And to say he took on a job nobody else wanted? Well, he sought out that job long before it was offered to him. Do people really think that he is getting the best out of this group of players? The window is closing

Cork are a great draw. They won't offer anything like the resistance put up by Tyrone defensively. They will probably have the beating of us at midfield and have some good forwards, but unless the players have given up after Sunday, and I wouldn't hold it against them if they do, I expect to win, and who knows, we may even put on a bit of a show, like we did against Galway last year. But there's nothing to be won on Saturday week except the game itself. We were not AI contenders last year or this year, but we wasted the opportunity of another few Ulster titles. That would have been nice, with anything beyond that a bonus.

At least the minors will be on beforehand. Will be good to get a look at them in Croke Park.

Advertisement