Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Donegal GAA Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,124 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

There is so much that could be said about yesterday but the bottom line is that our old failings came back to haunt us. Our kick out strategy failed, we used our bench poorly, we sat back defending a lead and invited another team on to us, we had no variety to our game, we scored the magic eleven points again, we left Paddy isolated again, our transition from defence to attack was pedestrian again. In short we were totally predictable.
    One of the things about Donegal people is that we think differently. We will buck the national trend in a referendum, we will elect a candidate like Tom Gildea because we wont be told what to do, we will align ourselves more with Glasgow than Dublin, we would quite happily build that wall around old Donegal. We loved Jim's team because it was the work of a maverick, he broke the mould in how the game was played. We are the county that produced unique talents like John Duffy and Brendan Devanney, we even unleashed Maxi on the nation. We sprung a player into the team to score 0-9 in an All Ireland final. We think outside the box and have always approached the game in our own way.
    However, we now have the most predictable team in the sport. Everyone knows what we are going to do, we are bereft of imagination and averse to risk taking. It flies in the face of the psyche of being a Donegal person.
    We have two of the best forwards in the game, so we starve them of the ball. We have some of the most exciting young talent we have ever had, so we leave them on the bench. What chance has young O'Donnell if we have the same management team next year.
    To win a football match you need to score more than the opposition, we set up to try and ensure they score less than us. Our game is all about making no mistakes, taking no risks, being cautious to the point where we appear to be crippled by fear. Seven shots in the second half says everything about how we play.
    Our management have killed the initiative of the players. We lack passion because our gameplan is so restrictive. In all probability we have a maximum of three weeks left in the championship and we will exit with a whimper.

P.S. Well done to the minors, O'Donnell was exceptional and Morey was impressive as sweeper. We are producing some top class young talent and the future is bright for the county. They still need to sort out their kick out strategy though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

McGuinness the only one that I can see actually discussing the management's failing.

Peter Campbell in the democrat made brief reference to a delay in running the bench.

I have to say that the apparent lack of malaise amongst those with a voice is worrying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

McGuinness the only one that I can see actually discussing the management's failing.

Peter Campbell in the democrat made brief reference to a delay in running the bench.

I have to say that the apparent lack of malaise amongst those with a voice is worrying.

The problem is that every time McGuinness says anything critical about the management (or indeed on any subject) we're told that he's only doing it to make himself look better. He doesn't seem well liked by the establishment pundits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭Ollieboy

Rory out Horan in, very simple.

I don't even want to go to another game and watch that crap, but I know I will.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭squareball1988

One good thing to come out of this is that Rory might f*** off now.

Horan, Bonner, O'Rourke could all be considered for the job. Look what each of them did with their own teams, imagine that they'd do with that panel of players. Especially Horan and O'Rourke. We've an unreal team. Just an exceptionally poor sideline.

We're all wondering about players not being played, Leo and Hugh in particular. The rumours go that these players challenged Rory one night in training about a particular method of his. Haven't played since. Hugh used to be a staple of Rory's team, now he's nowhere to be seen.

That's two Ulster titles Rory's ineptitude has taken away from us and the team. It's time to go.

And to see some great servants of Donegal struggle up and down the pitch in Sunday was heartbreaking. Such an undignified decline for players who, without them, we'd have won nothing under Jim. Time for three out of four to go, as we've a fine group of U21s and ex-Minors ready to step up. Neil G & Christy are worth hanging onto.

• Advertisement

Hugh used to be a staple of Rory's team, now he's nowhere to be seen.

Every cloud!

Never mentioned earlier, Christy is some footballer. He must be pushing 60 at this stage!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭henke

One good thing to come out of this is that Rory might f*** off now.
    I have a fear that his ego and his opinion of himself means he wont do the decent thing and leave his post. He really should as he is denying a top team the chance of honours.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭North of 32

Hugh used to be a staple of Rory's team, now he's nowhere to be seen.

Every cloud!

Never mentioned earlier, Christy is some footballer. He must be pushing 60 at this stage!
    My theory is that his injuries, missing 25 months prior to the 2011 Kildare QF game and missing the entire season in 2013, means that he has less mileage on the clock than other players his age.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭squareball1988

Neil G being out might not be the worst thing. Might keep him fresh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Fresh for next year.

• Advertisement

For Glenswilly?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

And to see some great servants of Donegal struggle up and down the pitch in Sunday was heartbreaking. Such an undignified decline for players who, without them, we'd have won nothing under Jim.

That was what really made it all the harder to watch on Sunday. These lads are such a dedicated, hard working, loyal bunch of players that it really is hard to see the straightjacket RG has them in. We all know they are capable of so much more that really the county board need to ensure this does not go beyond this summer. They deserve someone of the calibre of Horan or O'Rourke so I hope they are already working on a plan to get someone in.
    We should beat Cork but does anyone really have the appetite for yet another beating in Croker after that because let's not kid ourselves that we can repeat 2014 against the Dubs.
    Just one other comment on the match on Sunday - fair play to Peter Harte and Sean Cavanagh for the way they took control for Tyrone in the second half. I hate losing but I don't mind congratulating top players when they perform like those lads did. The point from Harte was one of the best I've seen and Cavanagh for me has been the best footballer in the country over the past 15 years so I won't begrudge him an Ulster title at this stage of his career.

To be fair, and I have no stake in the game here, local press, indeed any press who need access to players and mangers can't be too critical or they will end up frozen out. Jim can say what he likes as he doesn't need to go to press nights or get soundbites after a defeat.

Analysis is a much easier gig than reporting I reckon.

Just my 0.02

• Registered Users Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭harpsman

My theory is that his injuries, missing 25 months prior to the 2011 Kildare QF game and missing the entire season in 2013, means that he has less mileage on the clock than other players his age.[/quote

Christy, Eamon, Karl, Colm A, Rory K, Neil G are all almost exactly same age as Sean Cavanagh most of them a bit younger in fact and have all played less matches than him. Shows what an amazing player Cavanagh is as painful as it was to watch him show that on Sunday

harpsman wrote: »
    My theory is that his injuries, missing 25 months prior to the 2011 Kildare QF game and missing the entire season in 2013, means that he has less mileage on the clock than other players his age.[/quote

Christy, Eamon, Karl, Colm A, Rory K, Neil G are all almost exactly same age as Sean Cavanagh most of them a bit younger in fact and have all played less matches than him. Shows what an amazing player Cavanagh is as painful as it was to watch him show that on Sunday

He is top class. There's an argument for saying he has been the best player of the last 10 years.

The git.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

When you look at influential players , forwards who have produced when it was needed, when there was an average-ish teammate in front of beside and behind there are very few to have his impact and ability to get a draw or a win when it's expected of him

Murphy, A Brogan Gooch imo have never produced like him I know I've left lads out but I'd make the same argument. Winning a free or maybe three frees in a row, or his last score at the weekend, his leadership, strength carrying the ball he's a huge range of abilities and he never gives up. If he did win such a fictitious award it would be hard to argue against it.
    But you can forget about him as a man!!!;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Ceist_Beag wrote: »
    That was what really made it all the harder to watch on Sunday. These lads are such a dedicated, hard working, loyal bunch of players that it really is hard to see the straightjacket RG has them in. We all know they are capable of so much more that really the county board need to ensure this does not go beyond this summer. They deserve someone of the calibre of Horan or O'Rourke so I hope they are already working on a plan to get someone in.
    We should beat Cork but does anyone really have the appetite for yet another beating in Croker after that because let's not kid ourselves that we can repeat 2014 against the Dubs.
    Just one other comment on the match on Sunday - fair play to Peter Harte and Sean Cavanagh for the way they took control for Tyrone in the second half. I hate losing but I don't mind congratulating top players when they perform like those lads did. The point from Harte was one of the best I've seen and Cavanagh for me has been the best footballer in the country over the past 15 years so I won't begrudge him an Ulster title at this stage of his career.

Let's be honest, as much slagging as their is between our sets of fans there's a fair amount of respect for what we each have done recently and I know in Tyrone at least we celebrated Donegal's success in the all Ireland nearly like it was our own. Maybe having Donegal blood might effect that too.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Ollieboy wrote: »
    Rory out Horan in, very simple.

I don't even want to go to another game and watch that crap, but I know I will.

Is there barstool talk of James Horan going to Donegal or real canvassing for same at some time in the future?Not trying to be smart just curious.FWIW I think Cork are dangerous opposition,real Jekyll and Hyde persona...it's hard to know what team will turn up.

Jayop wrote: »
    Let's be honest, as much slagging as their is between our sets of fans there's a fair amount of respect for what we each have done recently and I know in Tyrone at least we celebrated Donegal's success in the all Ireland nearly like it was our own. Maybe having Donegal blood might effect that too.

I enjoy the slagging with the Tyrone fans I know because they've gone pure tin-foil hat over the past few years it's wild funny. It's been hard work this week mind you. :D

I've honestly never had a problem with Tyrone football. Quite the opposite in fact I've always had a grá for it in truth. Loved the team in the mid 90's with big Finbar in goals and Canavan is my favourite ever footballer by a country mile. That Tyrone side from 2003 - 2008 is the best I have ever seen. Kerry's was more consistent but that Tyrone team just had 'it'. Relentless or whatever it was, it was incredible. I've always said the 2008 final is how I'd love to win an All Ireland, it sums up the Harte era for me.

Was great seeing someone putting Armagh in their box too because we weren't fit to. They'd have had another 2 if it wasn't for youse. :eek: There for the grace of god etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,963 ✭✭✭doc_17

Did Donegal train last night?

• Advertisement

doc_17 wrote:
    Did Donegal train last night?

Aye.

Overseen by Rory Gallagher, who screamed instructions throughout, Donegal did 5 minutes of sprints, 5 minutes of shooting, 10 minutes jogging, followed by 50 minutes of standing in a line on the 45 hand passing the ball from side to side.

Maxi Curran was on hand to pass instructions on how to pass the ball backwards when required.

When interviewed afterwards Rory Gallagher said that it had nearly worked last weekend so there's no need to try anything else.

How many ulster finals have Rory and Maxi lost between them by the way?

Some going really.

How many ulster finals have Rory and Maxi lost between them by the way?

4?

2 U21 plus 2 Senior

Scoring

1-06
    0-08
    0-10
    0-11

In fairness, we scored 0-07 in 2013 but at least we had a good excuse!

Buncrana beating Kilcar in the U21 Championship is a shock, aye?

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Murphy14

Redsoxfan wrote: »

Not a massive shock Buncrana won the minor in 2013 beat a fancied St Eunans side after extra time in the final

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Murphy14

seligehgit wrote: »
    Is there barstool talk of James Horan going to Donegal or real canvassing for same at some time in the future?Not trying to be smart just curious.FWIW I think Cork are dangerous opposition,real Jekyll and Hyde persona...it's hard to know what team will turn up.
    Not sure about James Horan but heard from a reliable source that Malachy O' Rourke would have an interest in Donegal Job when/if RG goes however I do believe the next manager should be given the job on a 5 year term with the remit to introduce the emerging players from this years and 2014 minor teams . Ideally we should be moving heaven and earth to get Jim back

Murphy14 wrote:
    Not a massive shock Buncrana won the minor in 2013 beat a fancied St Eunans side after extra time in the final

That was the team with Jigger and Campbell - were they were all playing tonight?

Redsoxfan wrote:
    That was the team with Jigger and Campbell - were they were all playing tonight?

Nevermind, have seen the match report.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭Ollieboy

Murphy14 wrote: »
    Not sure about James Horan but heard from a reliable source that Malachy O' Rourke would have an interest in Donegal Job when/if RG goes however I do believe the next manager should be given the job on a 5 year term with the remit to introduce the emerging players from this years and 2014 minor teams . Ideally we should be moving heaven and earth to get Jim back

Malachy methods are very similar to Rory's and would be a step backwards.

Horan is the man and he should have won 2 AI if the players had any confidence, he personally did everything possible to bring a AI to Mayo.

But he has said he is not interest in any other jobs and wants to concentrate on family and work. Someone needs to talk him around and give him the chance of winning a AI with Donegal.

Excellent result for Buncrana and good news for Donegal GAA that Inishown is producing more top quality GAA players. The game is now massive in the region despite the County Board.

• Advertisement

Redsoxfan wrote: »

Ach, not really. They'll have been fancied cause it's Kilcar and they've won the past couple but the last group are gone and it'll be another year or so.

These things follow the minor trend. As said that Buncrana team won the minor in 2013 which was a shock in itself, they beat Aodh Ruadh who had ran out of gas in the semi final who would have been favourites overall and then Eunan's who would have been favourites thereafer.

There'll be a few who will fancy themselves now.

Advertisement