Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Donegal GAA Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭harpsman

Murphy14 wrote: »
    Not sure about James Horan but heard from a reliable source that Malachy O' Rourke would have an interest in Donegal Job when/if RG goes however I do believe the next manager should be given the job on a 5 year term with the remit to introduce the emerging players from this years and 2014 minor teams . Ideally we should be moving heaven and earth to get Jim back
    Well ye can forget about that. Think ORourke might be the best availble manager if he is interested in the gig.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭squareball1988

harpsman wrote:
    Well ye can forget about that. Think ORourke might be the best availble manager if he is interested in the gig.

He'd be a decent shout. Look what he did with M*******. Imagine if he had a decent team to work with.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

O'Rourke is from Fermanagh.

I'm out.

Being serious though, he works in Enniskillen and lives in Ballygawley. It's only an hour to Convoy. Handier run that than from west Donegal to training anyway!

#malachyin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,963 ✭✭✭doc_17

Ollieboy wrote: »
    Malachy methods are very similar to Rory's and would be a step backwards.

Horan is the man and he should have won 2 AI if the players had any confidence, he personally did everything possible to bring a AI to Mayo.

But he has said he is not interest in any other jobs and wants to concentrate on family and work. Someone needs to talk him around and give him the chance of winning a AI with Donegal.

Excellent result for Buncrana and good news for Donegal GAA that Inishown is producing more top quality GAA players. The game is now massive in the region despite the County Board.

Despite soccer you mean? What did the County Board ever do to Inishowen?

Buncrana have a good team at that level. I was at the Northern Final 3 years ago and Eunans hammered Buncrana and were probably a wee bit complacent going into the final. But there are some excellent players on that Buncrana team. And they had good management that particular year, for whatever reason!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭henke

Murphy14 wrote: »
    seligehgit wrote: »
    Is there barstool talk of James Horan going to Donegal or real canvassing for same at some time in the future?Not trying to be smart just curious.FWIW I think Cork are dangerous opposition,real Jekyll and Hyde persona...it's hard to know what team will turn up.
    Not sure about James Horan but heard from a reliable source that Malachy O' Rourke would have an interest in Donegal Job when/if RG goes however I do believe the next manager should be given the job on a 5 year term with the remit to introduce the emerging players from this years and 2014 minor teams . Ideally we should be moving heaven and earth to get Jim back

Don't think its ever gonna happen unfortunately and certainly not any time soon. I think if he never left we'd be sitting on 5 out of 6 Ulsters now.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Murphy14

Yes Buncrana would have a few astute football men Monaghan native Sean Clerkin and Sean Noonan a top coach he trained the 2014 Donegal minors

Buncrana have a good team at that level. I was at the Northern Final 3 years ago and Eunans hammered Buncrana and were probably a wee bit complacent going into the final. But there are some excellent players on that Buncrana team. And they had good management that particular year, for whatever reason![/quote]

Is that true about them making a film out of Jim's book?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

doc_17 wrote:
    Is that true about them making a film out of Jim's book?

It's in the Indo. By the same ****ehawk who had a piece on Jim/Rory last week. I wouldn't pay much heed.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,126 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Anyone know what went on in this game lads?

Glenswilly 3 points, eunans 2. Ft.

5 scores!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,223 ✭✭✭overshoot

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    Anyone know what went on in this game lads?

Glenswilly 3 points, eunans 2. Ft.

5 scores!!!

Report on donegalsporthub

Sounds a mix of teams missing players, dreadful shooting and... Well you probably seen donegal v tyrone

Saturday then.

Cork (a mess all year) in the long grass. A lot of talk not even mentioning cork at all. Should win, could get turned over if the players have given up.

Anyone arsed? The feeling generally is that the seasons over.

I'd love a crack at the Dubs in a quarter final too you know but what's the point with Rory. Be a repeat of the league game at Easter. Waste of time. *sigh*

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭bob skunkhouse

Maybe we need a certain full forward to lift the spirits of the team again. Alas under the current regime we're unlikely to see that!

https://thegaanalyst.wordpress.com/2016/07/26/michael-murphy-an-unfulfilled-talent-due-to-the-current-state-of-the-gaa/

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭dog_pig

Maybe we need a certain full forward to lift the spirits of the team again. Alas under the current regime we're unlikely to see that!

https://thegaanalyst.wordpress.com/2016/07/26/michael-murphy-an-unfulfilled-talent-due-to-the-current-state-of-the-gaa/

That article doesn't manage to say much at all really.

Also apparently Murphy was an out-and-out full forward for the majority of the games in 2012?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

Saturday then.

Cork (a mess all year) in the long grass. A lot of talk not even mentioning cork at all. Should win, could get turned over if the players have given up.

Anyone arsed? The feeling generally is that the seasons over.

I'd love a crack at the Dubs in a quarter final too you know but what's the point with Rory. Be a repeat of the league game at Easter. Waste of time. *sigh*

Will be there alright Nidgy but definitely have the feeling we're going no further than the last 8 should we win on Saturday. I'm going more in hope that the minors can progress to another semi final. Still, it's always nice to have a day out in Croker so I'll enjoy it regardless as we should never take these for granted!

To be fair we saw it even less under the previous regime

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭North of 32

The problems at the minute are:

- Lack of defined and reliable kick-out system
    - No Neil Gallagher/Inability to win possession from long kickouts, which is essentially what wins the All Ireland these days. Starting every attack from your corner back just won't cut it.
    - Rory Gallagher badly misusing Michael Murphy and his bench
    - Maxi

The temptation to let Murphy roam is very difficult to resist. His football IQ just means he'll almost never put a foot wrong. But you have to go and win the game. I genuinely believe Murphy should be let loose inside and Donegal should kick in long during specific periods.

The pity is that Dublin are missing their player of the year who is also their best/fastest counter attacker, they're missing two of their best man markers, and they like to play a lot of forwards which I think would suit Donegal. I don't think Dublin are unbeatable, but even if Donegal beat Cork, they won't beat Dublin if Rory is desperately afraid to lose the game, won't encourage balls in to Murphy and instead of using McCloone, recycles booked subs.

And does anyone else think it would be worth starting Toye? He's so damn good.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭LilNiall

I hear Big Neil back fit and to be used on Saturday. Maybe as the game approachs I'm getting misplaced optimism again. He does provide us with so much in midfield though. Think there's no chance Leo plays though .

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/it-has-gotten-very-personal-will-jim-mcguinness-ever-get-over-his-messy-breakup-with-rory-gallagher-34899447.html

Personally I think Jim has been diplomatic enough, even if I disagree with his assertion that the Donegal players are as good as they were I think that he genuilely believes they can still compete.

Brollys take(if anyones interested :) )

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/joe-brolly-jim-mcguinness-is-taking-the-piss-with-his-praise-of-donegal-34716647.html

harpsman wrote: »
    http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/it-has-gotten-very-personal-will-jim-mcguinness-ever-get-over-his-messy-breakup-with-rory-gallagher-34899447.html

Personally I think Jim has been diplomatic enough, even if I disagree with his assertion that the Donegal players are as good as they were I think that he genuilely believes they can still compete.

Brollys take(if anyones interested :) )

That 'article' is the journalistic equivalent of the ebola virus.

Utter drivel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

Leaving aside the fact that its a rag of a newspaper, in my opinion its not an accurate accusation. Jim cant win here. He is paid to give his opinions on the weeks games, and I thought his article last week was quite restrained given the cr*p we watched in the second half. On the other hand, if he wasn't critical of the performance, he'd be accused of favouritism towards his own county.

Jim could very easily avoid talking about Donegal for his articles if he wanted. It's a conscious choice. He should think of the greater good of Donegal football.

This notion of Murphy being "let loose" inside might actually work this week as Cork may not set as negative as Ulster teams. But then, like most, I'd fear what we'd be missing out the field. Especially without Gallagher

Leaving aside the fact that its a rag of a newspaper, in my opinion its not an accurate accusation. Jim cant win here. He is paid to give his opinions on the weeks games, and I thought his article last week was quite restrained given the cr*p we watched in the second half. On the other hand, if he wasn't critical of the performance, he'd be accused of favouritism towards his own county.

Brolly would have you to believe Jim is playing Machiavellian mind games and trying to control and won't rest until he has sent Gallagher that mad he has gone on a shooting spree in Supervalu Killybegs.

Clown.

Jim's article's are fine and worth listening too. He's actually been fairly restrained with regards management given the catastrophic errors they have made. There's no underhanded ploy here by him, as we all know he is in fact the polar opposite. What you see is what you get.

But no, 'it's gotten very personal' when it hasn't got very personal at all. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭PressRun

I enjoy McGuinness' articles. They're often the most insightful, tactics-wise. I've never gotten the impression that he uses his media profile as a platform for his own axe-grinding. Brolly, on the other hand...

PressRun wrote: »
    I enjoy McGuinness' articles. They're often the most insightful, tactics-wise. I've never gotten the impression that he uses his media profile as a platform for his own axe-grinding. Brolly, on the other hand...

In fairness to Jim he used he used his book to grind a good few axes so most of that is done and dusted. I just wish he wouldn't wrote about Donegal. He leaves himself open to these types of accusations

Jim is right, everybody else is wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭PressRun

doc_17 wrote: »
    In fairness to Jim he used he used his book to grind a good few axes so most of that is done and dusted. I just wish he wouldn't wrote about Donegal. He leaves himself open to these types of accusations

Must admit I haven't read the book, though I intend to. I did hear one of the lads on Colm Parkinson's new podcast saying that half of it is excellent and the other half reads a bit like Father Ted's golden cleric award speech with settling old scores and whatnot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

The Bould Neil is a black card (or two yellows) away from another suspension by the way. Read about it today.

We've had 9 black cards this season fwiw. Goes some way towards our lack of indiscipline although a couple were ridiculous decisions, Thompson for one.

• Advertisement

LilNiall wrote:
    I hear Big Neil back fit and to be used on Saturday. Maybe as the game approachs I'm getting misplaced optimism again. He does provide us with so much in midfield though. Think there's no chance Leo plays though .

DSH reporting that Saturday is too soon for himself and Jigger.

Advertisement