Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Donegal GAA Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭babybuilder

Was at game. Game wasn't really at championship standard. Donegal struggled to stop Cork incursions especially in the first half. I think Cork are a poor side and Donegal performance was just Ok other than PmcBrearty and Ryan Mc Hugh who were exceptional.

Was chatting to a few of the players in McCaughey's service station outside Castleblaney after the game. They seemed in good enough spirits although Murphy appeared very stiff but intimated that he wasn't injured. Many thanks to Karl and Rory K for offering me a lift on the team bus as my car had broke down. Unfortunately had already organised one by that stage.
    The bookies will have Dublin at short odds but the question is do Donegal have the capacity to cause an upset?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭harpsman

It's hard to see any chance of an upset. Don't think our defence is as good as 14 and midfield is definitely weaker. And missing Durkan for the kickouts. Plus I think Dublin really gunning for revenge against the last team to beat them and maybe the last for another while

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭babybuilder

Haven't missed many games this year but I'm going to give Saturday a miss. A hill walk might be in order with a media blackout.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 748 ✭✭✭boxer.fan

The Cork match was a fine oul game of football. We would always win a shootout against this group of Lee siders if we turned up at all. I suppose we should give the management some credit for recognising that. McBrearty showed what he is capable of when given a few decent balls to run in too & he has also turned into a reliable free taker from the hands, something we've been missing since Colm signed for the pension.
    A great display of point taking all round. It was good for the players to have an opportunity to display their scoring talent & show the doubters that they are indeed more than robots. I'm still picking up my jaw from the floor after witnessing Michael's punt from out the field. It reminded me of a minor game I was playing in O'Donnell park in 1994. There were many other scores that gave me a smile.

All that being said, I suppose it wouldn't be right if I didn't outlay my concerns.
    The keeper seems nervous & indecisive about the kickouts. A few players need to take him out to the field for a good few extra hours & work out plan a, b, c, & d.
    We didn't score any goals or nothing like it. A few plays went in around the square but petered out. Our lack of goals this year means we won't come near winning against good opposition. There was a time when Donegal scoring one goal would completely demoralise the opposition when they knew they would have to claw back at least another three points.
    I'm not sure all the players know exactly what their role is. I think it's possible RG might not be the best at articulating his plan. He spends a lot of the time screaming & roaring from the sideline. It's often too late to be at it then.

So now we head for Dublin. There's a great opportunity to beat Dublin this year but I think it will be some other team unfortunately. The way our lads are picking up bookings this year it's unlikely we will finish with 15. & we need 15

Bernard Brogan never has his best game against us. Paul Flynn is a bit off this year. MDMcC's is only just making the team. Alan Brogan is gone, McCarthy won't be fit for a full game, & the two long serving defenders are gone.
    Diarmuid Connolly will need to be roasted. McManamon can't be allowed beyond our 45. Our discipline will need to be top class. It's a lot to ask.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

boxer.fan wrote:
    Bernard Brogan never has his best game against us.

I think he was man of the match in 2011

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Stoner wrote:

Someone had to get it...

"47 minÃ႒‚ We counted a six-on-one situation of Donegal against Bernard Brogan in the last attack. Donegal remain focused and keeping to this brilliantly effective style. Make no mistake about that, their performance is top notch because the gameplan is working to perfection."

Brogan got 4 of the 8 points, all frees he won. He slipped E McGee very well in the first half for a decent goal chance. My memory of that was that we would have been boll*xed without B Brogan he took a lot of watching that day

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭squareball1988

Stoner wrote:

Of course he was. On a day where frees would win the game there's no better man to win a half free. An enviable skill.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

Forgot to say during my match post- McGinley's trousers annoy me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Wonder how the Hill will react to him...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭squareball1988

Maybe he's hiding a wooden leg? Would explain some of his kicking anyway.

In fairness he can wear what he wants. So long as his kicks get their man and he keeps a clean sheet.

Maybe he's hiding a wooden leg? Would explain some of his kicking anyway.

:D

Minor championship tonight. Martin Beag banished from the sideline at Ballyshannon v Kilcar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

Redsoxfan wrote: »
    Wonder how the Hill will react to him...

He'll be grand, we'll be wore out giving AOS jip about the dive :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Of course he was. On a day where frees would win the game there's no better man to win a half free. An enviable skill.

Oh hurray. Finally, a cheap shot. Five days out & this thread is far too polite & civilized for my liking. Put some welly into it folks !

Go back & look at the last 10 mins on You Tube. He also set up Kev Mc & Bryan Cullen for our last 2 scores of the day. The last one was an amazing sideways pass across the goal mouth (when he had about 7658 Donegal men hanging outa him,) to where Captain Coppers was waiting on his Sweeney Todd, to put the ball over the bar. To this day, I have no idea how he found the space to pull it off.

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Oh hurray. Finally, a cheap shot. Five days out & this thread is far too polite & civilized for my liking. Put some welly into it folks !

Go back & look at the last 10 mins on You Tube. He also set up Kev Mc & Bryan Cullen for our last 2 scores of the day. The last one was an amazing sideways pass across the goal mouth (when he had about 7658 Donegal men hanging outa him,) to where Captain Coppers was waiting on his Sweeney Todd, to put the ball over the bar. To this day, I have no idea how he found the space to pull it off.

An amazing sideways pass :D He's fired it across goal because he was going nowhere and and nothing else on! A hail mary effort if every there was one, effective though it was.

I thought he got plenty of soft frees that day myself, Donegal's tackling wasn't as clean as it would become though. So had no real complaints at the time. I just remember our handling being really poor. Greasy ball though.

Jim thinks we can win on Saturday. Also has been complimentary about Gallagher introducing young players.

I await Joe Brolly's response about this disgusting, Machiavellian attempt to heap pressure on to RG and control Donegal from the death star.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭North of 32

Jim thinks we can win on Saturday. Also has been complimentary about Gallagher introducing young players.

I await Joe Brolly's response about this disgusting, Machiavellian attempt to heap pressure on to RG and control Donegal from the death star.
    "It has been a a deeply methodical crusade, Jim has led, to undermine and denigrate his successor. It has been an absolute series of targeted vilification - a series which, indeed, would eclipse the US presidential race debacle".

Another issue we've had this season, and one of the more serious ones, is the tracking back. A lot of players sometimes look like they're just going through the motions - getting back, but not being aware of where the ball is and where the runner is coming from. Cork caught us a few times because of this, and Tyrone too. It's not enough to just be in position. When your back is turned you have to be aware of the runner because opponents have just been going in behind on many occasions. I personally think it's probably down to poor coaching.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,963 ✭✭✭doc_17

We can't help being polite.

"It has been a a deeply methodical crusade, Jim has led, to undermine and denigrate his successor. It has been an absolute series of targeted vilification - a series which, indeed, would eclipse the US presidential race debacle".

He needs a good slap.

He's fired it across goal because he was going nowhere and and nothing else on!

That was pretty amazing for that game

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

An amazing sideways pass :D He's fired it across goal because he was going nowhere and and nothing else on! A hail mary effort if every there was one, effective though it was.

I thought he got plenty of soft frees that day myself, Donegal's tackling wasn't as clean as it would become though. So had no real complaints at the time. I just remember our handling being really poor. Greasy ball though.

Well he was facing the Nally stand & running toward it, when the ball miraculously wound up going in the opposite direction, so I'll stick with with my original terminology, thanks very much. Trust a Donegal man to denigrate the merits of a beautifully executed foot pass. I suppose if it was one of your lot, the ball would have been recycled with 6548 hand pases, until we all died of boredom. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,963 ✭✭✭doc_17

Well he was facing the Nally stand & running toward it, when the ball miraculously wound up going in the opposite direction, so I'll stick with with my original terminology, thanks very much. Trust a Donegal man to denigrate the merits of a beautifully executed foot pass. I suppose if it was one of your lot, the ball would have been recycled with 6548 hand pases, until we all died of boredom. ;)

I think it's impossible for you Dubs to die of Galeic Football related boredom issues. The Leinster Championship is proof of this.

Dublin then.

No handy medals handed out in September. Firstly the point I would make about the draw is that it's our own fault. If you lose a provincial final you run the risk of getting a pig of a draw. Not to mention the damage coming to a screeching halt in a final does along with the psychological impact of having to pick yourself up to get going again.

This year of all years winning Ulster was absolutely critical given the way the draw has panned out. Should Tyrone dispatch Mayo they will quite comfortably end up in an All Ireland final. Luck of the draw and all the rest but you make your own luck by winning your province. We've pissed it away on two separate occasions and the circumstances have been practically identical both in terms of the final itself and the subsequent qualifier and quarter final.

For ourselves (and I think Tyrone too) defeat in the final would have been fatal for any grander ambitions. Even in terms of preparation alone, the difference in having 3 weeks on a high to prepare for 1 game or having 2 weeks in the dumps for a qualifier and then 7 days to prepare for meeting a provincial champion is massive. It's really not ideal and the loss of momentum is absolutely critical.

This is a wider point though and going forward this is something we need to prepare for as a county. Losing in an ulster final is not conducive to going on a run at a later stage imo. But anyway we are where we are.

It's such a funny one on Saturday this. I can't help but be drawn to the league game (Easter). That was a game to put a marker down and I think any sort of a concentrated effort would have done for Dublin. That was a rare occasion where they weren't overly arsed about the game. Unfortunately, neither were we and spent 70 minutes dootering around waiting for the final whistle. Dublin didn't commit bodies as they usually would. We offered nothing in response. An absolutely pointless exercise. And it was f*cking freezing too. I really hope I'm wrong but I think that's what we're in for again.

I've had a look through the averages. Dublin averaging about 1 goal a game and 20 points, says alot about Leinster but also about their ability to get a run on teams. We're under a goal a game and just under 15 points (higher than I thought).

So then, keep out the goals, bag at least 2 ourselves, hit your scoring average and assume that Dublin's point scoring is reduced against the blanket. Easy!

I'd be confident without Gallagher but to be honest, I don't think we're at the level required at the minute and we're coming in from a standing start as it were. I am almost certain that Dublin will have an element of post-leinster malaise in their performance. Donegal on the other hand are well battle hardened and will be a tough nut for a while.

Going through the obvious Dublin threats, Cluxton. I mean, it's very hard not to say 'what's the point' with him. He is so grossly superior to the rest of his peers (Now Papa has gone) it's not even funny. Now we know he is prone to the odd brain fart and making errors when forced into making rash decisions. Do we have the wherewithal and discipline to make those mistakes happen anymore, and do we have it in our locker for 77 minutes? I'm not so sure. In any event, we seem to hit a wall after 60 minutes and he could make us pay massively. Unless Donegal have a substantial lead to fall back on I could see us being dragged from pillar (caffrey) to post from his restarts as he exploits the space that is bound to open up late on.

Ironically, I think we've got the players to pull off a really good high pressing game. Not sure what Rory is thinking. You're dammed if you do and dammed if you don't with Cluxton but I think we do have to, occasionally at least, compete for the kickout and press high. You can't let him have free reign over every one.

In terms of the Dublin forwards, they don't worry me that much individually. There's none of them that are so vastly superior to any of our defenders that we should be bricking it. And we won't be going man on man anyway. Our loss of pace (Karl/Thompson) is a slight concern but again there should be a solid enough defensive structure in place that a loss of pace shouldn't be exposed past the 50 in central areas where those two will be.

Cian O'Sullivan. Cute cookie. Was never fussed on him in the middle but he's got a great head for it and knows what he's at keeping his defence orgainsed. I'd stick Ryan or Leo around there and having him chasing for the game myself. As Jim said, you can't be two places at once. But O'Sullivan will have to be planned for, big time. But look too, it's only 1 sweeper. Aren't we used to playing with and playing against 2/3 :pac:

I have grave concerns over our ability to deal with Fenton. In some ways I think this is biggest miss-match. I think this kid is the real deal myself. I'm yet to watch him and not think he is top class. That's a good partnership for me; Bastick/Fenton and then the legs from MDMA coming on later in the game. McElhinney stank the place out on Saturday and will need a huge performance there. We are really struggling in midfield though even rotating McElhinney/Kavanagh/Murphy/MacNiallas we still come up short. I'm expecting to get rinsed tbh.

In terms of where we are at with things we'll struggle from our kick outs. I think the evidence shows that he is not trusted to kick long and we have no discernible alternative strategy. Dublin push for kickouts. It's all well and good popping it to the D against Cork but we are in real danger of being mugged. Their forwards work their arses off and like to overload on kickouts. It causes a panic you know and while our handling is usually spot on and we are incredibly composed in possession, we have been isolated too many times for my liking this year when trying to work the ball.

Our defensive structure is generally good but our tackling and discipline has not been where it needs to be. Can't take these boys down giving away fouls in areas when they've got I don't know how many free takers.

I've mentioned the middle and the weaknesses there but the biggest thing is the attacking strategy, or lack thereof. We haven't had one for 2 years by the looks of it. Dublin are missing 2 All Stars in defense and another is not fit. We should be licking our lips. We should be going straight for the throat there when moving the ball.

We absolutely MUST leave two inside at all times to win this game. Paddy and Leo. Good ball winners and tough as nails. Bring in Murphy on rotation and see what this back line is made of, get them tested, get them turned, get them doubting themselves, make a game of it. Paddy will be earmarked and this just has to mean that he has somebody next to him. Leo's perfect for that role. I'd love to see us soak up Dublin possession and then have straight lines bursting out. I'd love to see us counter attacking and running the ball at pace with support off the shoulder. Marty O Reilly, the two McHughs, Frankie, Christy. They make serious headway. That's how we're reared to play football up here. They can all carry a ball on that squad. We know we can slow Dublin down and halt their scoring. We know we have the offensive players to do them damage.

But I just don't see where that attacking threat and mobility will come from.

Inevitably, We will pack the defence with 14 behind the ball. McBrearty will be inside on his own. Dublin won't leave acres of lovely grass behind their half backs for our speed demons to run into. We will work the ball short and struggle to get moving. We will do a reasonable job of frustrating Dublin and keeping the score down but in the end it won't be anywhere near enough. They are too experienced, too mobile, too fluid. We will probably kick our magical number of 11 points. The cycle will go on under Gallagher as nobody really expected us to beat Dublin and we've had a hard slog in ulster yada yada yada.

TL:dr Tipp for Sam.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭shiibata

Is big Neil def out for this match? Hoping its a bluff from the camp that he is..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

Nice detailed analysis there Nidge. I completely agree with your take on it but of all the points I'd boil it down to the two you've highlighted most.
    1. Kickouts. In 2014 we went long with the majority and we had big Neil contest most of these. Despite the rumours I can't see any chance of Neil togging out on Saturday - and without Neil we have nothing in the middle. I see no way of competing with Dublin for 70 without the option of going long at least 50% of the time. This for me is the biggest concern as we simply cannot keep going short or gifting kickouts long to Dublin. We have to compete long.
    2. 2 man FF line. I think you're right on the money there Nidge, Leo would be the perfect man to put up alongside Paddy. He's strong as an ox, can win his own ball and has an eye for a goal. He showed enough last Saturday to be worth a start but the question is will Rory start him and if so who does he drop - one of Kav or McElhinney for me. McElhinney has to improve on last Saturday so I'd drop Rory for Leo. I also think that this time around Eamonn won't be named and actually won't start - I expect Gillespie to start.

Despite my head, I can't help but head up with a small feeling that we'll rattle the Dubs and even one goal could make a massive difference. I know what you're saying about losing Ulster Nidge but at this stage it's really the mantra of one game at a time and no matter what the bookies might think, there are only two teams going at it and if anyone can shake the Dubs it's our lads. It's time to believe! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Murphy14

We really need everything to go our way on Saturday to get over the line Dublin will have geared their training towards this weekend the plus side our lads are up to championship side we are hard to beat but will that be enough to win!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Murphy14 wrote: »
    We really need everything to go our way on Saturday to get over the line Dublin will have geared their training towards this weekend the plus side our lads are up to championship side we are hard to beat but will that be enough to win!!

It shouldn't be. But, you have beaten us in a tactical masterclass only 2 years ago so who knows.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 748 ✭✭✭boxer.fan

Dublin will have taken note of the gaping holes in our defence in recent times & will no doubt find them at the weekend. They will put up a decent score & are good for a couple of goals.
    I think all the remaining teams are capable of racking up a decent score against Dublin if they decide to go at them. The worst possible thing that could happen is us putting 14 men behind the ball as Dublin will still get a winning score.

If we go at it we could match Dublin score for score with the winning of the game coming down to Murphy vs Rock in scoring from set pieces.

Alas, I can foresee myself throwing my tay at the telly if the ball is endlessly switched over & back the halfway line.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭bob skunkhouse

There's nothing for it but go toe to toe with them. It's a case of weighing up our attackers against their defenders and their attackers against our defense. Albeit Cork were a poor team, 21 points is a very good return and showed that PMcB has finally pulled out an all-star performance, and the two McH's - especially Ryan - have become more than ball carriers - chipping in with crucial scores in the last two games. This gives Gavin something else to ponder and probably takes a defender out of the game to man mark him, thus opening up the space for our ball carriers to run hard and straight with runners coming from either side a la the Fermanagh game back in July. Regarding the keeping 2 up front, I'd go one further and keep 3 up. Gives us another option and turns their attacking defenders into defending defenders - something they might struggle with given the absentees from last year. I agree with the comments on Fenton - a super player - but I'm surprised no one has mentioned Ciar n Kilkenny. From my point of view he's the cog that makes things work from the 65 up. Nullify his exposure and you go a long way to nullifying Dublin. A job for Paddy McG possibly?

Regarding the kick out strategy. It's a high risk game to play against a team that plays full court press. Why not kick the ball long? Pack the midfield area and take our chances. Who says we need Gallagher to make clean catches - who says we need to catch the ball at all? Pack the area so that every ball becomes dirty ball and turns into a 50/50 tussle. If we're expecting that play, then the odds swing in our favour. Mix it up though, go short when the dubs aren't looking, consider going longer bypassing midfield altogether and kick direct to the HF line where McElhinney/Ordhran/Murphy are well able to catch high ball. Mix it up, change the direction, just don't be read like a book! Press Dublin on their kickouts - something they don't like - look at Mayo last year when they changed their approach to do that. Concentration needs to be kept as well....no sloppy goals like the Cork one where our players were remonstrating with the ref or whoever and not focusing on the game at hand.

This Dublin team in full flight is a serious outfit, but look at who they played this year? With all due respect a whole bunch of nobodies! Despite our 'aging' team, we were one kick of a ball away from another Ulster title. Drop the shackles, forget about the lateral back and forth hand passing crap, take them on at their own game and I think we'll give them a serious run for the mullah!

• Advertisement

I admire your mentality Bob Skunhouse!

I think going toe to toe with them would be a disaster though. We won't beat Dublin in a shootout, nobody will.

If we break it down to our fundamental objectives required for a win- clean sheet, 2 goals, usual point scoring. That's definitely achievable but I don't think we'll be set up well enough or well enough coached to do it. We'll do somethings really well and other things just won't have been prepared for. It's RG in a nutshell I think really.

Positive vibes- limit Dublin to the scores we kept them to in the league and ought to win.:eek::cool::D

Up Donegal!

Advertisement