Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Donegal GAA Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,963 ✭✭✭doc_17

MacCumhaills couldn't handle Murphy. But Murphy should have got a black card after 10 minutes. O'Reilly won a break of him and Murphy grabbed him in a headlock and dragged him to the ground. Black card all day long.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

Great to see Malin in a semi final. Looks like Glenswilly might be coming good at the right time too.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,213 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Ceist_Beag wrote: »
    Great to see Malin in a semi final. Looks like Glenswilly might be coming good at the right time too.

Fair play to Malin. Being involved with a remote club myself (not in Donegal unfortunately) I have an idea of some of the difficulties it takes and the effort they are putting in to get to that level.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

Rejoice for the black and amber are out of the championship!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 pardus

What has happened to football in Killybegs.

• Advertisement

pardus wrote: »
    What has happened to football in Killybegs.

You can ask the same in Ballyshannon and Glen.

Ballyshannon v Killybegs in the 90's was probably the strongest football has ever been in this county. Ballyshannon have been off the scene for a while albeit there are rumblings of a revival and they will be in division 2 next year. Glen were also strong and are toiling in the lower leagues. Meanwhile Four Masters look like they are on the way out generally.

South West Donegal was the hotbed of GAA. No longer the case really although admittedly if Kilcar/Glenties win it then the past 2 are south of the gap!

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Not that one

Its been touched on here before, but what is the issue with Maxi Curran as part of the senior management, in a selector role.

I would expect he brings a lot to the table in regard to video analysis and viewing and communicating the way other teams set up and play.
    Its up to RG to pull together a complete management package with different skill-sets, and not just a group of 4 strong Manager types.

I'm presuming Maxi operates under RG's control on match day, in other words he wouldn't be seeing pitch time if RG didn't see it as a tactic/annoyance to other teams. It bugs the shiite out of me personally and think it just winds up crowd more than anything positive for Donegal.

As an addition, who (maybe more than one person) not just from within the county would you like to see as the experienced head/advisor alongside RG on the training ground/pitch on match day.

Its been touched on here before, but what is the issue with Maxi Curran as part of the senior management, in a selector role.

I would expect he brings a lot to the table in regard to video analysis and viewing and communicating the way other teams set and play.
    Its up to RG to pull together a complete management package with different skill-sets, and not just a group of 4 strong Manager types.

I'm presuming Maxi operates under RG's control on match day, in other words he wouldn't be seeing pitch time if RG didn't see it as a tactic/annoyance to other teams. It bugs the shiite out of me personally and think it just winds up crowd more than anything positive for Donegal.

As an addition, who (maybe more than one person) not just from within the county would you like to see as the experienced head/advisor alongside RG on the training ground/pitch on match day.

I would question his analysis when we continually keep making the same mistakes.

He's a clown.

Jim f*cked him off and that's reason enough for me to think the guy is a melon.

I would question his analysis when we continually keep making the same mistakes.

He's a clown.

Jim f*cked him off and that's reason enough for me to think the guy is a melon.

+ 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭jjdonegal

Murphy back in college at Jordanstown. Less football he needs not more unfortunately

• Advertisement

jjdonegal wrote: »
    Murphy back in college at Jordanstown. Less football he needs not more unfortunately

Terrible news.

There was me hoping Glenswilly wouldn`t win the county championship so no all ireland club action for him, and that county wise Gallagher would have at least the cop on that the lad seriously needs a break.

jjdonegal wrote: »

It's a worry boys going back to college for me anyway a you know.

Socially and looking at the development of these players now it seems the done thing to be arsing around in University until you're kicking the arse of 30. The thing is you're finished at inter county not long after that and then what?

Im not specifically talking about Michael here, he's a very smart guy and has his head screwed on but it's problem of sorts I think. Might be down to the economy in recent times too actually. Better to be in college doing something than out of college doing nothing.

Just worry about boys in college on some pish course into their late 20's just so the college might win a sigerson.

It's a worry boys going back to college for me anyway a you know.

Socially and looking at the development of these players now it seems the done thing to be arsing around in University until you're kicking the arse of 30. The thing is you're finished at inter county not long after that and then what?

Im not specifically talking about Michael here, he's a very smart guy and has his head screwed on but it's problem of sorts I think. Might be down to the economy in recent times too actually. Better to be in college doing something than out of college doing nothing.

Just worry about boys in college on some pish course into their late 20's just so the college might win a sigerson.

Fair points but for myself just glad Jim Mc Guinness did it.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Two very different semi finals in the Senior Championship. Glenswilly v Kilcar it is in the Final.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Alvin Holler

Should be an interesting final. Would like to see Kilcar win it but Glenswilly will present a different type of challenge with Gallagher and Murphy a lot more of a physical test.

Great to see both games being streamed live by Michael Murphy Sports/Jackson Media whoever. Hopefully TG4 will have the County Final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Redsoxfan wrote:
    Great to see both games being streamed live by Michael Murphy Sports/Jackson Media whoever. Hopefully TG4 will have the County Final.

Is that a subscription ?

Stoner wrote:
    Is that a subscription ?

Nope. Just 'Like' Michael Murphy Sports on Facebook. Just have to put up with no commentary (a blessing?), shaky camera and ****e banter in the comments.

Jesus I can't tell Donegal people apart I need help!!

All joking aside, my wife's granny died recently. She was my sons great granny,
    Anyway I got to meet some of the cousins, this lad was born and bred in the states to Donegal parents.

He was the image of Eamon McGee. I took a picture of him with my boy, I showed him some pictures he thought it was great.

The gaping hole in my opening theory is that he's the only one who looks any thing like Eamon.

Stoner wrote: »
    Jesus I can't tell Donegal people apart I need help!!

All joking aside, my wife's granny died recently. She was my sons great granny,
    Anyway I got to meet some of the cousins, this lad was born and bred in the states to Donegal parents.

He was the image of Eamon McGee. I took a picture of him with my boy, I showed him some pictures he thought it was great.

The gaping hole in my opening theory is that he's the only one who looks any thing like Eamon.

Eamon McGee has an awful habit of putting on an American accent you know, to trick city boys.

• Advertisement

Mad to think Kilcar haven't been in a final for 23 years.

Be good for them to win it. They are football mad round there.

Eamon McGee has an awful habit of putting on an American accent you know, to trick city boys.

Into what I don't want to know Nidgeweasel!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Stoner wrote: »
    Into what I don't want to know Nidgeweasel!

Into giving him your phone number so when the loneliness up in donegal becomes unbearable he can send you hapes of creepy "banter" texts :)

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Murphy14

Declan Bonner being linked to the Cavan Job according to the Irish news

Paddy McGrath, Ryan McHugh, Paddy McBrearty all nominated for all stars.

McGrath was brilliant this year, really pleased for him to get a nomination.

McHugh should get an all star, as should Peter Harte but the half back line this year will be serious.

McHugh should get an all star, as should Peter Harte but the half back line this year will be serious.

Delighted for Paddy McGrath. I thought he was outstanding this year. Ryan McHugh also.
    Problem is that the All Stars don`t select position wise nowadays.
    It`s keeper, 6 backs, 2 midfielders and 6 forwards.
    Mayo are going to probably get 6 awards as finalists, and other than those going to their backs (bar Durcan perhaps) I cannot see any other area they will get them from.

That's true, I've made that point before. They get very far in the competition but have few decent forwards so it puts pressure on anyone getting an All-star in defense, so a good forward from a non finalist had a better chance than a good back from a non finalist.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Alvin Holler

Harte is nominated as a forward so he should get one there. He's definitely deserves one.

I'd have the half back line as Keegan, McHugh and Durcan. But I could see O'Sullivan, Boyle or even Mccarthy getting one.

Ryan McHugh was a stand out player on an underperforming team. Folks got way too precious about it when The Sunday Game didn't name him to Team of the Year but I had no issue with it. He will hopefully win more than one over the course of his career but I don't think it's a given he will get one this year.

• Advertisement

Harte is nominated as a forward so he should get one there. He's definitely deserves one.

I'd have the half back line as Keegan, McHugh and Durcan. But I could see O'Sullivan, Boyle or even Mccarthy getting one.

Ah ok didn't realise that. To be honest it's been a weird year I'd probably have Peter Harte as one of my three for POTY. Never getting it going out in the quarters though but he was brilliant this year.

Advertisement