Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Donegal GAA Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,213 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

K-9 wrote: »
    Leinster?!!!

Sure they are looking to move to Munster, we could do a tour.

At this point anywhere that would get us away from the sh1te we have to put up with from Tyrone and Monaghan fans in particular would be grand with me :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

charlie14 wrote: »
    At this point anywhere that would get us away from the sh1te we have to put up with from Tyrone and Monaghan fans in particular would be grand with me :mad:

What do you expect from a pig only a grunt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

What do you expect from a pig only a grunt.

I got banned from the GAA forum for this exact post nidgeweasel !!!!! It was reversed though

Stoner wrote: »
    I got banned from the GAA forum for this exact post nidgeweasel !!!!! It was reversed though

You've a great way with words Stoner!

To be fair, no issue with Monaghan though. As for the other crowd now...... bit of craic anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Alvin Holler

doc_17 wrote: »
    Was Caolan McGonagle in the extended panel last year?

He was, don't think he played much as he played for DCU rather than in the McKenna Cup but he did appear briefly in the opening league against Down.

• Advertisement

Michael Murphy - Player of the Senior Club Championship
    Ryan McHugh - Donegal player of the year.

Can't argue with either section. Well deserved by both.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Murphy14

Big Neil fit and available for 2017 will be a big bonus if he can stay fit takes a big burden off Murphy

Secretary's report is out, nothing to write home about.

As an aside, I heard that Danny Murphy (Down) passed away earlier in the week. I had the pleasure of his company on a number of occasions down the years and he was a gentleman.

I know quite a few people who have worked closely with him on the provincial committee and other ventures down the years and he will be an enormous loss to the GAA in Ulster and beyond. Ar dheis dé go raibh a anam.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Interesting line up v Sligo in Letterkenny today

MA McGinley
    Conor Morrison
    EB Gallagher (0-1)
    Paul Brennan
    Caolan Ward
    K Gillespie
    J McGee (0-1)
    Michael Langan (0-7, 5f, 1 45)
    Christy Fildara (0-1)
    Cian Mulligan (0-1)
    Michael Carroll (0-1)
    Jigger
    Jamie Brennan (1-3)

Subs used
    C Thompson (0-3, 2f)
    Ethan O'Donnell
    Eamonn McGrath
    Brendan McCole
    Mark McHugh (wow)
    Peter Boyle
    Caolan McGonagle

Quasi McKenna Cup line up I guess.

Some names there I would really like to make it.

Not sure about long term potential but Jamie Brennan seems to be a good man to get a score.

Line up from Donegal Sport Hub. E&OE

Redsoxfan wrote: »
    Not sure about long term potential but Jamie Brennan seems to be a good man to get a score.

Interested to see how he fares with the U-21's this year. He is a fine player.Whether he's cut out for seniors is another matter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,223 ✭✭✭overshoot

I see a Leitrim man in the team... tbh he could be needed in the half backs

overshoot wrote: »

Don't think he is better than what we have. And to be honest, ( I'm interested in the response of other posters generally on this) I'm not that hot on a guy who's from Leitrim living 2km from his home club/county playing for Donegal.

I'd much sooner have a Donegal youngster on the panel. Be no surprise to see where Rory Gallagher's stance on this is. Was there a county he didn't play for by the end?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,223 ✭✭✭overshoot

Mostly same thoughts tbh. Although not sure how he slots in standard wise at this point in time. Lacey and Thompson arent the force they once were and McGlynn wont be around too much longer either. Brennan would at least have some intercounty experience and an alternative to much younger lads...
    Then again wasnt Gallagher's big contract so he could bring through younger lads?...

overshoot wrote:

Aye. The Leitrim half backs. It's a line where we never want for much.

Redsoxfan wrote: »
    Aye. The Leitrim half backs. It's a line where we never want for much.

Bring back Rambo.

So, according to the Democrat, no Leo McLoone for 2017. Has divided opinions on here for sure but a loss to the panel in my mind.

Was treated like ****e last year on several occasions. He did similar last year but returned so maybe it will be similar this year but I am counting him out at this stage.

I also wonder if Michael Murphy would be involved with the Toughest Trade if Jim was still in charge?

Very disappointed with this.

My thoughts on Leo are very clear, I think this is a huge loss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

There are unconfirmed rumours that Odhran is heading for the states.
    Not to worry though in Rory we (would like to) trust. After all he is planning for the future.

There are unconfirmed rumours that Odhran is heading for the states.
    Not to worry though in Rory we (would like to) trust. After all he is planning for the future.

Ehh.....

Trust has to be earned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

Ehh.....
    Ehh........ something obviously got lost in translation.

Ehh........ something obviously got lost in translation.

No. Nothing got lost in translation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 554 ✭✭✭RMDrive

Disappointing that Leo has decided to call it a day. A great player on his day but one that I feel wasted some potential. To me he's the same player today that he was 5/6 years ago and hasn't really developed his game that much. He's still got a lot of positives - big, strong, a powerful runner, an eye for goal ... but it's disappointing that he wasn't able to develop in the was that say Paddy McGrath was.

Good luck to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭rrs

Does Mcloone have a good relationship with Gallagher? Mcloone is from the same Club as Jim Mc, and he is no longer on speaking terms with Gallager.

In Gallaghers first year as manager in 2015, MCloone didn't return to the Donegal panel until after the League. McLoone is 27 so only coming into his prime.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

Clearly there was tension between Leo and Rory so not surprised he is out again, especially after the way he was treated last summer. As others have said, he's a big loss to the panel but once Rory got his new contract it was always likely he would walk again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,963 ✭✭✭doc_17

Yeah I also heard that Odhran is heading for the States. Catostrophic loss along with Leo.

Eoin Ban Gallagher the most experienced player on the McKenna Cup panel.

And not to be controversial, but for me MacNiallais is a bit of a luxury. We'll miss his ability to take a score, but I'd like to see more from him.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭squareball1988

Redsoxfan wrote:
    And not to be controversial, but for me MacNiallais is a bit of a luxury. We'll miss his ability to take a score, but I'd like to see more from him.

Aye you're right. Aside from a goal v Armagh and a few wonderful points here and there, he's a bit lazy for me. Still though, I'll miss his swagger. Incredibly cool, but sometimes too cool.

Well it's official now according to Donegal Sports Hub.

Fare thee well Odhran and I hope to see you back in the County jersey with a few more strings to your bow some day soon.

• Advertisement

He's a fantastic player. And a lot better than most of what we have currently. Yes he can offer more working back the way but I wouldn't be so flippant about his departure. Given the fact we seem to only be capable of hitting 11 scores a game we'be probably reduced that average to 8 now. That's said in jest but with a serious undertone.

That being said above, I said the other year that Rory O'Carroll and Jack McCaffery taking a year out was a good thing and I still do think that in this case. Although we don't have the depth that the dubs have there has to be room to allow these boys to go away and do other things. That can't have been easy for Odhrán given the parish he's from and his profile. I hope the lad goes to America and makes the most of what is on offer there.

I was abit annoyed about McHugh when he went but that's because it seemed more like rats deserting a supposedly sinking ship more than anything. And I'm not a fan generally!

Advertisement