Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Donegal GAA Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

He's a fantastic player. And a lot better than most of what we have currently. Yes he can offer more working back the way but I wouldn't be so flippant about his departure. Given the fact we seem to only be capable of hitting 11 scores a game we'be probably reduced that average to 8 now. That's said in jest but with a serious undertone.

You are right enough there. A good man to take a score. But, ignoring the lack of workrate and defensive effort, his other big failing (in my view) was his shot selection. But yeah, who is going to step up and take those scores? The only certainty in our half forward line in 2017 is Eoin McHugh IMHO and as talented as he is, he doesn't have the same range as MacNiallais. Same goes for Stephen McBrearty if he is an option. Guys like Ciaran Thompson and Michael Langan are really going to have to step up. Doesn't help that we have an unbelievable forward who scores feck all from play these days.
    I was abit annoyed about McHugh when he went but that's because it seemed more like rats deserting a supposedly sinking ship more than anything. And I'm not a fan generally!

I was annoyed to see him back!

#roryout

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Murphy14

It is a long time since I faced a season with so little optimism Mc Loone gone, Mc Neilis gone with more to follow added to what is the farcical approach to Mc Kenna cup yet we were able to travel to play Armagh in a challenge game last Friday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭Steve The Barman

Stephen McBrearty out Sunday, pulled Hamstring

He's a fantastic player. And a lot better than most of what we have currently. Yes he can offer more working back the way but I wouldn't be so flippant about his departure. Given the fact we seem to only be capable of hitting 11 scores a game we'be probably reduced that average to 8 now. That's said in jest but with a serious undertone.

That being said above, I said the other year that Rory O'Carroll and Jack McCaffery taking a year out was a good thing and I still do think that in this case. Although we don't have the depth that the dubs have there has to be room to allow these boys to go away and do other things. That can't have been easy for Odhrán given the parish he's from and his profile. I hope the lad goes to America and makes the most of what is on offer there.

I was abit annoyed about McHugh when he went but that's because it seemed more like rats deserting a supposedly sinking ship more than anything. And I'm not a fan generally!

Agreed.

One of my daughters friends plays at County level. (Ladies).

The training is unbelievably intense - and at the end of the day, these young people get as much abuse as they get thanks.

Financial reward? Lol!!

They have to be able to make a life for themselves, too. That includes building a career.

Which probably means there should be a bigger panel to allow for that - though how that's achievable, I really don't know.

Murphy14 wrote:
    It is a long time since I faced a season with so little optimism Mc Loone gone, Mc Neilis gone with more to follow added to what is the farcical approach to Mc Kenna cup yet we were able to travel to play Armagh in a challenge game last Friday

Ha - really? Any idea who played?

I guess if you play on a Friday you might have your university players.

Still, the sheer cheek of the County Board Twitter account telling us 'Nothing Beats Being There' for tomorrow's game. If management don't take it seriously why should supporters?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

Murphy14 wrote: »

And a good night out after too.

Lookibg forward to seeing how the U-21's fare.

Will the Senior team manager be at today's game?

Sounded like a good game today.

Fair play to them. Wouldn't be optimistic about the next two. Hopefully would stand them in good stead anyway for Championship.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Triboro

Redsoxfan wrote: »
    Will the Senior team manager be at today's game?

Was he?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Murphy14

Anthony Thompson not making himself available door being left open for a return later in year

Murphy14 wrote: »
    Anthony Thompson not making himself available door being left open for a return later in year

Not the worst thing. I'd rather the more experienced crowd didn't play in the league anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,498 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Christy & rory kavanagh officially retired

Not Christy. Not now.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,213 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

retalivity wrote: »
    Christy & rory kavanagh officially retired

Sorry to hear Christy is going in particular.
    A great great servant to Donegal football, and in later year when the legs weren`t what they used to be, a wise old head when coming off the bench.

Neither of them owe Donegal football, anything and fair play to Rory for coming back when needed.
    His book wasn`t half bad either.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Pity to hear about the boys retiring. Great footballers and servants to your county. I knew Christy a bit when he was in college and he was a sound skin too.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Jmcmen

charlie14 wrote: »
    Sorry to hear Christy is going in particular.
    A great great servant to Donegal football, and in later year when the legs weren`t what they used to be, a wise old head when coming off the bench.

Neither of them owe Donegal football, anything and fair play to Rory for coming back when needed.
    His book wasn`t half bad either.:)

This is just down right depressing now at this rate. Thats 8 gone for various reasons off last years panel.

Questions have to be asked at that drop off rate; especially so late in the day after the end of last season and just before the start of this. In my mind they didn't like what was in front of them

Notwithstanding the above; thanks to everyone of them for the enjoyment they have given us over the years.

PS really enjoyed Kav's book too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

Well that's my expectations for 2017 fully lowered. Neither of these announcements are surprising, but its still disappointing. Probably because its on the back of Leo being forced out of the squad and Thompson taking some time out.

Both Rory and Christy were wonderful servants to Donegal football who gave me some of my best days out as a supporter, hope they both have a great retirement.

Christy Toye - Jesus Christ what a f*cking legend. 15 years since the goal against Meath. Christ.

Struggling to think of a more popular player than Christy maybe ever- possibly Karl. Even during the party boys era, he never copped as much flak as the rest of them. Probably because he rarely let us down, even if he was a devil for the sauce.

Kept it reasonably together emotionally at the final in 2012 but had a lump in my throat when the big screen zoomed in on Christy on the steps of the Hogan. After the nightmare that he had from 09 - 11. Was made up for him.

He retires an All Ireland winner. Well deserved sah, you've put in one hell of a shift for us.

By the by, his goal against Armagh in '03 is one of the greatest Donegal goals ever scored.

Not Christy. Not now.

Right, that is it so.

• Advertisement

Redsoxfan wrote: »
    Right, that is it so.

I was wondering if you were safe.

Christy Toye is a legend in myth and reality. Some of the more memorable moments in good times as well as leaner years. His comeback to the panel under Jim was inspiring.

The new generation have a lot to live up to.

And David Walsh was a fine player. Another who quitely redefined his game under Jim for the greater good. No drama with him on or off the pitch, never a superstar but was there in good times and in bad. Shame he featured little in recent years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,223 ✭✭✭overshoot

strangely remember both Walsh & Toye as stand outs in the 2014 Dublin game, even though one was subbed early on for the other. We were just getting a grip on them (a friend called me crazy for saying that), Walsh was making great penetrating runs and was shocked to see him subbed... Christy did the same runs but just brought another level of decision making at the end of them and the Dubs were done. He really was a class act.
    We have lost a lot of talent for this year, starters or not, big losses to the squad.

Christy should have really scored the winner in the Ulster final last year too with his last score.

Feck it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭squareball1988

Christy should have really scored the winner in the Ulster final last year too with his last score.

I was thinking that myself.

He should have had the winner v Monaghan too in the first match. With his fist I believe. That came from a Murphy interception from a poor Dick Clerkin.

What a perfect point that would have been had it been the winner.

His equaliser v Kildare in '11 was top drawer too. As good as Cassidy's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

That's unbelievable with the latest 3 lads gone, I guess Christy had to go at some stage and Rory has been here before but still, what's that 6 lads gone now? Has a county been hit as hard and fast as this before?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭rrs

Toye was a great player. I saw on wiki that he is 34 in March, not that old, when Aidan O Mahony was playing with Kerry last year at 36, and could be playing this year too.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭squareball1988

rrs wrote:
    Toye was a great player. I saw on wiki that he is 34 in March, not that old, when Aidan O Mahony was playing with Kerry last year at 36, and could be playing this year too.

O'Mahony hasn't played in a few years. Fought plenty, but played little.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭Brego888

Well that's my expectations for 2017 fully lowered. Neither of these announcements are surprising, but its still disappointing. Probably because its on the back of Leo being forced out of the squad and Thompson taking some time out.

Both Rory and Christy were wonderful servants to Donegal football who gave me some of my best days out as a supporter, hope they both have a great retirement.

What's the scoop on Leo being forced out of the squad?

Advertisement