Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Donegal GAA Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

They have changed the picture on the website. In Keith Duggan's tweet it is still Joyce.

Anyone, hope the team today give a good account of themselves, for their own sakes mostly, but for anyone at the game too. Next two could get ugly.

Seemed to get out of hand near the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

There's the trimming we were worried about.

Several recording devices in Omagh tonight. Hopefully Declan kept his powder dry. Their U-21's need a good thumping.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭babybuilder

What is the point of the McKenna Cup?:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 812 ✭✭✭rightyabe

What is the point of the McKenna Cup?:confused:

Yeah can't see the point of fielding such a young team. These young players should just concentrate on playing u21 etc. surely there's plenty of good club player between 22-30 who would love a shot at the McKenna cup and try get into the squad for the league/all Ireland. Like maybe field a Donegal senior "B" team in the McKenna. All this emphasis on youth gets a bit boring and disheartening when there getting thumped.

• Advertisement

rightyabe wrote: »
    Yeah can't see the point of fielding such a young team. These young players should just concentrate on playing u21 etc. surely there's plenty of good club player between 22-30 who would love a shot at the McKenna cup and try get into the squad for the league/all Ireland. Like maybe field a Donegal senior "B" team in the McKenna. All this emphasis on youth gets a bit boring and disheartening when there getting thumped.

To be honest they did well enough in the first two.

Tonight seems to be a write off. They were never going to go through and I'd imagine it was a case of going out and making up the numbers. Which is grand.

To be honest they did well enough in the first two.

Tonight seems to be a write off. They were never going to go through and I'd imagine it was a case of going out and making up the numbers. Which is grand.

So you think its acceptable to let fans pay to watch a game where one team is just making up the numbers? Just give the players a pat on the back and say sure your only making up the numbers anyway? I think it's a wasted opportunity.

So you think its acceptable to let fans pay to watch a game where one team is just making up the numbers? Just give the players a pat on the back and say sure your only making up the numbers anyway? I think it's a wasted opportunity.

It's the McKenna cup. I couldn't care less.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭North of 32

Anyone know if the first league game is on GAA GO? I've decided to subscribe for the season because it's the best way to watch from abroad (or at least seemed to be the best option)

rightyabe wrote:

Surely Rory know best....

Supporters knew the story with what Donegal planned for the McKenna Cup this year. That was reflected in attendances. If you look at other Ulster matches you will see much bigger numbers because the teams named resemble something like a Senior team.

I'm pretty sure that Donegal (the County Board) are only fielding a team to appease the Ulster Council.

Anyone who has any hope of making the Senior squad has already been training with them for months. Nobody is going to be called in for the McKenna Cup with a view to making an impression.

• Advertisement

Anyone know if the first league game is on GAA GO? I've decided to subscribe for the season because it's the best way to watch from abroad (or at least seemed to be the best option)

I imagine it will be if it's the TG4 game on the Sunday? It probably will be, although Cavan (novelty of being in Division One) v Dublin (All Ireland Champions) will be attractive also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Redsoxfan wrote: »
    I imagine it will be if it's the TG4 game on the Sunday? It probably will be, although Cavan (novelty of being in Division One) v Dublin (All Ireland Champions) will be attractive also.

TG4 are showing Cavan v Dublin live and deferred coverage of Donegal v Kerry.

http://www.tg4.ie/en/sports/gaa-beo/

ProudDUB wrote: »
    TG4 are showing Cavan v Dublin live and deferred coverage of Donegal v Kerry.

http://www.tg4.ie/en/sports/gaa-beo/

I better set the VHS so.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Very good interview with Michael Murphy on OTB last night available as a podcast.

http://www.newstalk.com/podcasts/Off_The_Ball/GAA_on_Off_The_Ball/175788/Michael_Murphy_in_Studio__Clermont__Donegal_in_2017

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,963 ✭✭✭doc_17

So, time to turn the attention to the league. And I'm afraid it's not gonna be a good one for us.

First up is Kerry. And if that wasn't bad enough, it's in O'Donnell Park. So, because of the venue, that's a guaranteed loss.

Next up is an away day. Does it really matter who we play away from home? The only team we've beat in the last few years away in Div 1 happened to be the worst team in recent memory to play in Div 1 and didn't everyone beat them?

Then it's home to Dublin. Where it should be, MacCumhaill Park. Hard to get a win against them.

Could be a return to Div 2 for us

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

doc_17 wrote: »
    So, time to turn the attention to the league. And I'm afraid it's not gonna be a good one for us.

First up is Kerry. And if that wasn't bad enough, it's in O'Donnell Park. So, because of the venue, that's a guaranteed loss.

Next up is an away day. Does it really matter who we play away from home? The only team we've beat in the last few years away in Div 1 happened to be the worst team in recent memory to play in Div 1 and didn't everyone beat them?

Then it's home to Dublin. Where it should be, MacCumhaill Park. Hard to get a win against them.

I'm going to go a little bit glass half full. Kerry always start slow in the league, so its a god opportunity to get a result. Roscommon away is also winnable, they fell apart in spectacular fashion last year after the league, so its hard to tell how good they really are.

Last two games are Monaghan at home and Mayo away, if we need a result or two to stay up, I think those games are also winnable.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,213 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Why in heavens name do we keep playing league games in O`Donnell Park!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Really enjoyed that podcast with Murphy.

seligehgit wrote: »

Thought it was just ok. Murphy was fine but I would have thought Gilroy would have dug a little deeper about Gallagher's stagnant tactics. I know that Michael and one or two others public ally backed Gallagher's reappointment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,289 ✭✭✭tanko

Who would be a possible alternative/improvement on Gallagher as Donegal manager?

• Advertisement

tanko wrote: »
    Who would be a possible alternative/improvement on Gallagher as Donegal manager?

Gallagher changing his " philosophy" would be a start. There are certain basic tenets of the game E.g . Best form of defense is attack or risk is rewarded. Anything other than the dross we witnessed over the last few years. The poor man's McGuinness

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 554 ✭✭✭RMDrive

Gallagher changing his " philosophy" would be a start. There are certain basic tenets of the game E.g . Best form of defense is attack or risk is rewarded. Anything other than the dross we witnessed over the last few years. The poor man's McGuinness

Can you list the philosophises of each of the Ulster counties for example? I'm struggling to understand you point here.

RMDrive wrote: »
    Can you list the philosophises of each of the Ulster counties for example? I'm struggling to understand you point here.

I'll just stick to Donegal thanks. His philosophy is his constant use of ultranegative tactics as demonstrated in last year's Ulster final. Instead of pushing on in the second half he set up Donegal to defend a lead. The lateral and backward passing is mind- numbing. I have gone to nearly all their games, championship and league, in the last two years. I'm not surprised Mc Niallais and one or two others have baled.

tanko wrote: »

A traffic cone programmed to say "you know" in a Fermanagh accent.

Why did Jim have Rory as his right hand man if he's comparable to a traffic cone? Surely he must have a good idea on coaching but maybe is not suited to being in charge? What did Jim see in him?

rightyabe wrote:
    Why did Jim have Rory as his right hand man if he's comparable to a traffic cone? Surely he must have a good idea on coaching but maybe is not suited to being in charge? What did Jim see in him?

Maybe he was good at cone management?

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Alvin Holler

It's hard to predict the league but I'd be a little more optimistic, we do have 4 home games (even if one of them is in Letterkenny). That Kerry game should be spicy after last year's league game. We play the Cavan and Roscommon away from home so if we don't pick up points there then we'll be in trouble.

With a relatively easy first round game in Ulster and the league finishing up earlier this year, there's less reason to be flogging the players in training the week before a league game. Also, with the retirement of most of the older crop of players, the team we select in the league may sharper and fitter for the league games and also be closer to the team we play in championship.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭rrs

I'll just stick to Donegal thanks. His philosophy is his constant use of ultranegative tactics as demonstrated in last year's Ulster final. Instead of pushing on in the second half he set up Donegal to defend a lead. The lateral and backward passing is mind- numbing. I have gone to nearly all their games, championship and league, in the last two years. I'm not surprised Mc Niallais and one or two others have baled.

It's a bit strange Gallagher is so defensive. He was a forward himself, surely he wouldn't like to play in that type of boring system.

He saw fit to bin him off anyway.

• Advertisement

I thought Gilroy did a decent job of interviewing Murphy. He got as much out of it as was likely - the questioning around his positioning and who made the call etc was interesting as it's something I'm sure a lot of us wonder about also. The idea that he would ask why tactics are so stagnant is a bit fanciful - since when are interviews with current players ever revealing especially on the question of 'why are ye ****e to watch'?

Anyway, on we go to the league. Thank fook there are no semi-finals anymore. I'd be concerned enough about survival, although we can beat Monaghan and Tyrone at home and I'd fancy us to take points off either Cavan or Roscommon away, but that's just theory. I think Kerry might have too much for us this weekend even though we have beaten them in Letterkenny before. I am not expecting anything from the games with Dublin and Mayo. 5 points out of a possible 14 maybe?

Looking at the team from the challenge match against Meath last weekend:

Mark Anthony McGinley
    Conor Morrison
    Neil McGee
    Eoghan Ban Gallagher
    Caolan Ward
    Ryan McHugh
    Ethan O’Donnell
    Jason McGee
    Hugh McFadden
    Ciaran Thompson
    Michael Langan
    Conor Gibbons
    Jamie Brennan
    Michael Murphy
    Darach O'Connor

Subs:
    Cian Mulligan
    Eamonn McGrath
    Paul Brennan
    Mark McHugh
    Darren McGeever

We obviously have Paddy McGrath, Kieran Gillespie, Frank McGlynn, Karl Lacey, Neil Gallagher (*), Martin McElhinney, Eoin McHugh, Paddy McBrearty and Marty O'Reilly to come back in, as well as the likes of Stephen McBrearty and Michael Carroll.

I have * beside Neil Gallagher as it's not really clear when we will see him back, so if we assume everyone else is fit enough to start, this is the team I guess is might be the most likely to start

MA McGinely
    P McGrath
    N McGee
    K Gillespie
    R McHugh
    F McGlynn
    EB Gallagher
    H McFadden
    C Thompson
    E McHugh
    M McElhinney
    M Carroll
    P McBrearty
    M Murphy
    M O'Reilly

I guess that M McHugh or even Jigger might start ahead of Carroll. Lacey may even still start, although I'm not sure. I can't really guess on the subs, although it would be great to see Jason McGee and Michael Langan get some game time during the league.

Darren McGeever is a new name to me - Cloughaneely?

Advertisement