Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Donegal GAA Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭North of 32

I was impressed with Brennan, Thompson and Jigger (sort of a debut). McGee had a big task in marking David Moran. 
    The second part of the first half was dreadful - they were just walking through the middle of the field.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 pmcb

1st half..
    Donegal had no intensity today.
    2nd to the ball everytime!!
    Kickouts are a big part of the possession orientated football that teams play today. Mark Anthony launched everything to the 50 yard line.. Nothing broke for us.
    Compared to the Kerry keeper, who hit most kerry players on the run...
    Caolan Ward is a decent prospect
    Marty O'Reilly did well in 1st half, lots of energy and great run for the penalty.
    Game plan was to hit Paddy, who was well marshalled.
    That Kerry team had 2 games under their belt this year, where this was our 1st run out due to u21s playing in the McKenna cup. Definitely showed today.
    2nd half...
    We couldn't handle Geaney and O'Donoghue... I feel it was game over with Geaneys 2nd goal..
    Kerry to the foot off the gas.. 3 points in the end really flattered us...
    Lot of work to do this week... Really a must win in Hyde Pk on Sunday.
    Gillespie and Neil McGee needed back.
    5/6 for Tyrone to win Ulster this year... I think it's handy money.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭LilNiall

Couldn't make the game today. How was the team set up? Was it half forwards dropping back and marking space? From what I heard on the radio we were cleaned out in the middle and Kerry were playing finding the forwards with good passes. Glad to hear that a couple of our subs made an impression. With so many of the old guard gone and with many new faces I'd say our current management set up will get plenty of leeway.

Kerry did dominate midfield and i suppose i just liked the way McGee kept at it and improved i thought second half. They didnt put Murphy in midfield and the lads wont have many bigger tests there than Kerry. Really was worried before kick off and first couple of mins we couldnt get a touch. Gotta say there were signs of promise. Whether it will be enough the summer will tell.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

View from the armchair.

Young Ward looks like a prospect, showed great energy and pace coming out of defence. That said, he was taken to the cleaners by Geaney on a few occasions so lots to learn as they say but a day like yesterday will have done him no harm at all.
    Paddy McGrath was well beaten by O'Donoghue on the day. Maybe he was exposed too much and he certainly missed having Neil patrolling behind him but not a day he'll want to remember.
    Of the other 4 defenders, the Leitrim lad looked ok and O'Reilly show plenty of drive and energy.
    Midfield looked lost. That said, it was good to see young McGee getting a good run out and he never gave up. As a few of us said before, I don't think McFadden is good enough.
    Young Thompson looks like he could fill the gap left by Odhran, nice left peg and knows how to take a score (not saying we won't miss Odhran all the same!).
    Murphy clearly learned a few things in France and hasn't quite transitioned back to football yet - some of his tackling yesterday was very poor and I know I'm holding him to higher standards than most but his discipline at times is really annoying. He did more in the last ten minutes yesterday than the previous sixty but prior to that some of his passing and tackling was very poor.
    Great to see Jigger back, I felt he made a big difference when he came on.

Obviously it's early doors and some young lads put their hand up yesterday but I feel at this stage we know what way Rory sees the game and I really don't like it. If we persist with having O'Reilly and the two McHughs taking the ball from our own 45 (or deeper even) and running the ball up the field playing triangles then I don't think we're going anywhere. This isn't soccer and we're not Barcelona!

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭bob skunkhouse

A few observations on yesterday's game. 
    As expected, we struggled at midfield. I only recall winning two possessions from kick outs in the first half. Moran had a great game getting plenty of possession but I couldn't help feel a lot of the kick outs where aimed at HMcF who in turned happened to be marked my Moran. Also, I'd like to see a bit more urgency in the kickouts - there were a few occasions where we'd men free. A simple 15/20 metre kick would have gotten the ball rolling for us - literally. I can't help but think that we've become so ingrained in goal kicking strategy that sometimes we forgot about the obvious pass.
    What we have in speed, we concede in bulk. I thought we were bustled, harried, brushed off the ball and dispossessed to easily when in possession. I appreciate this is a young team so something that will come with time. 
    We were second to every ball, particularly in the first half. Our backs were 2 or three metres behind the forwards and our forwards were the same behind the Kerry backs.
    I don't see anything new in our set up. The only difference is we've a little more pace in attacking but once we hit the 35-45 line we're a little clueless with what to do with the ball. There were a few long balls into PMcB but I'd say he won no more than 40% of them. He was too well marshalled to persist with that tactic. Instead we reverted back to type. Same old hand passing with runners on the loop! At this stage now I think this particular strategic horse has bolted. Contrast that with how Kerry moved the ball - long and fast. It's not all negative though, I did think some of our younger players did well, and real positive, there were great periods of time were we actually kept three forwards up front and not the full 15 in our own 45. Oh another great thing, I counted only two incursions by that twat Maxi onto the pitch during play. Another great positive.  Ulster semi final and AL quarter for us this year. I do expect us to retain Div 1 status though - hopefully!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭PressRun

I wouldn't be majorly downbeat, lads. Some mistakes as to be expected from youngsters, but 1-17 is a big score to be putting up at this time of year with a young, experimental side. A few new faces there that I didn't recognise.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,213 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

I would have major worries for the rest of the season seeing how when Kerry upped their game in the 2nd and 3rd quarters we just weren`t able to live with them.
    I felt the final scoreline from our performance in the last quarter masked that and it was more too do with perhaps us having more done in the way of training than Kerry at this stage.
    While we may not have fielded our seniors in the Mc Kenna cup, we had put in a lot of training and challenge matches.
    I know Kerry played their U21s in the Mc Grath cup, but not sure just how much work their seniors had put in prior to yesterday as they appeared to have emptied the tank coming into the last quarter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Oh another great thing, I counted only two incursions by that twat Maxi onto the pitch during play. Another great positive.

To be fair, the heavy pitch doesn't really suit the trainers and shorts. He will come into his own in the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭North of 32

Redsoxfan wrote: »
    Oh another great thing, I counted only two incursions by that twat Maxi onto the pitch during play. Another great positive.

To be fair, the heavy pitch doesn't really suit the trainers and shorts. He will come into his own in the summer.
    It would be strategically irresponsible for Maxi to reveal his pitch excursion strategies so early before the championship.

Not having been at the game, I don't have much to say about the performance or the ("new") tactics. The result and how it played out are hardly that much of a surprise.

From what I saw, Ciaran Thompson can give us as much as MacNiallais did.

It's a pity that the likes of Tony McCleneghan and Caolan McGonagle haven't kicked on as they are probably more likely to make an impact than Jason McGee this year. Ward and Gallagher looked lively at least, and Jamie Brennan seemed to do ok without scoring.

I hope we don't go back to the days of failing to win ball from kick-outs. For as long as I can remember, we have been awful at winning our fair share of the breaking ball. Under McGuinness, at least the kick-outs of Durcan and the fielding of Big Neil gave us some kind of platform. McGinley showed signs of improving as the year went on last year, but he has a long way to go. Without Big Neil we don't have anyone with the size (and experience) to compete at midfield for 50/50 ball. So we could really struggle for the time being at least and maybe further into the year.

Marty O'Reilly seemed to get on a lot of ball, but I wonder how effective a defender he is at 6. It was good to see Jigger back and in the mood to take a score. It's nice to have some sort of scoring option from the bench.

I'd assume Neil McGee will be back next week, but Frank McGlynn will hardly be risked again. Not sure if Gillespie and McElhinney will be available. It's not exactly must win next weekend, but both teams will surely be targeting this game as one they can win.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭bob skunkhouse

PressRun wrote: »
    I wouldn't be majorly downbeat, lads. Some mistakes as to be expected from youngsters, but 1-17 is a big score to be putting up at this time of year with a young, experimental side. A few new faces there that I didn't recognise.
    Ahhh naw, I'm not overly downbeat, as the man says you can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear. We've a younger, developmental team than last year and I'm quite happy to give them the latitude to develop for a few years but where I do show concern is the manner in which we played. RG was brought in for another three years (wanted 4 the hound dawg!) under the auspicious of changing the formula from the way used to play. From what I saw on Sunday, the only thing we changed is having more forwards up front rather then solitary attacker we used to have. For me this isn't progress, it's the same 'here we go round the mulberry bush' type play as last year and the year before. I'm willing to give the guy a chance and judge him based on an almost clean slate, but there'll be plenty in Donegal watching the league closely.
    BTW...the 3 point defeat flattered us greatly. I think we were 9 down at one stage before the Kerry bench started to empty. I wouldn't read to much into the scoreline at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭PressRun

I'd have reservations about Gallagher too. I don't think he got the best from the footballers at his disposal last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

Not going to comment too much on the game. I don't think it really matters that much given the inexperience.

The scoreline is massively flattering to us. Kerry were battering us at a canter and didn't have to get out of 2nd gear. They looked very sharp and some of their forward play was excellent. David Moran MOTM.

On our side of things I noticed a lot of poor/sloppy tackling and sneaky shirt pulls. This has been creeping in over the past few years and it drives me mad. Our tackling under Jim was exemplary and there is no excuse for the lazy arms or the wrong decisions irrespective of experience.

Also, a few points on Murphy- he looks trimmer and quicker than he ever has at this time of year imo. Secondly and probably the most important- it is now clear to me that he cannot play inside anymore. Take him out of the middle on Sunday and it could have ended up a laughable result. A worry.

I disagree with RSF on Sunday. We have to win. This will tell us a lot but still don't expect much from it.

Team v Roscommon

MA McGinley
    C Ward
    N McGee
    P McGrath
    R McHugh
    EB Gallagher
    P Brennan
    J McGee
    H McFadden
    C Thompson
    M O'Reilly
    C Gibbons
    P McBrearty
    M Murphy
    J Brennan

Dublin roll on to 31 games undefeated across league and championship.

Meanwhile, Rory is closing onto 7 games without a victory in the league. :cool:

#roryrecords

Also, a few points on Murphy- he looks trimmer and quicker than he ever has at this time of year imo. Secondly and probably the most important- it is now clear to me that he cannot play inside anymore. Take him out of the middle on Sunday and it could have ended up a laughable result. A worry.

He is a very good kick passer - easily our best - but I just don't think he is cut out for playing deeper. We have to find a way to get the best out of him again. He* won't however.

I disagree with RSF on Sunday.

How dare you.

Can somebody copy and paste the latest load of drivel from that clown cassidy?

He is an embarrassment.

Carroll for McFadden and E McHugh for Gibbons.

Not sure if Gibbons is injured... Why name him for the first time otherwise?

Down by a goal at half time. Awful goal to concede as well. McGinley largely to blame. I don't notice anything different in how we're playing.

Fantastic result. We needed that if we have any chance of staying up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Dublin roll on to 31 games undefeated across league and championship.

Meanwhile, Rory is closing onto 7 games without a victory in the league. :cool:

#roryrecords

Records are there to be broken.:)

Is it me, or were a lot of players under utilised?

And what was that business of taking McGee off so late in the match, exactly when we needed an experienced defender, when the game was on the line?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

That's a huge relief to come away with the win, could have gone either way in the end. Looked comfortable enough at three points up, but then once again, we saw the return of the farting around with the ball around our own goal when we have a lead. When has this ever worked or us? The inevitable mistake happened, and a minute later and the ball is the net. Still though, did very well to pull it out of the fire after that, and today was all about the two points

My point about Michael remains I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭thesultan

Donegal need to practice kicking a lot more especially with Paddy injured and Oran gone. Its like the mass defensive has scared the players to shoot... Would yee not leave Murphy full toward?

• Registered Users Posts: 40 pmcb

Paul Durkan is a huge loss to this Donegal team. McGinleys kickouts were not good at all in the past two games. His two kickouts led to the two Roscommon goals. He wasn't great under the high ball today either.
    Ciarán Thompson going well, championship starter maybe. Marty OReilly kicked 3 great points in the second half and great kick by epic in the end. Great work rate by Murphy, some machine that man. Worrying to lose McBrearty.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭jjdonegal

pmcb wrote: »
    Paul Durkan is a huge loss to this Donegal team. McGinleys kickouts were not good at all in the past two games. His two kickouts led to the two Roscommon goals. He wasn't great under the high ball today either.
    Ciarán Thompson going well, championship starter maybe. Marty OReilly kicked 3 great points in the second half and great kick by epic in the end. Great work rate by Murphy, some machine that man. Worrying to lose McBrearty.

MA kickout for 1st goal was fine in that McHugh had 2 yards on his man and got beat to the ball. Jason McGee very lazy at times. He cost us the 2nd goal as he lost a ball he should never lose. Mcstay squaring up at the end?? Was thar over Jiggers black card or what??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭babybuilder

A good win but I'd say we rode our luck especially at the enf. Positives were Marty Reilly who had a brilliant game, Thompson and again the indispensible Murphy who was effective around the middle at certain times of the match. Nice to see Eoin McHugh getting on the end of a move and kicking it over rather than taking it from deep and getting turned over. Negatives were McGinleys kick outs were very poor at times. The ubiquitous give away goal. Also poor tackling in defence. This notion that having players back filling space with no one taking any responsibility to mark. Very porous at times. But they stuck at it and should do their confidence no harm. Have Roscommon gone backwards since last year?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,213 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Marty Reilly and Thompson were impressive, 3 excellent points from Reilly.Murphy is usual self but he really was plowing a lone furrow in mid-field. Have we no one to compete for broken ball in that area ?? Anything Murphy broke was cleaned up by Roscommon much to easily imo.
    Surprised 2nd half with that wind that Murphy went short with a few frees, but other than that his usual excellent self, and unfortunately with how we are at the minute taking him out of mid-field it looks as if we would be seriously overran there.
    A bit worrying conceding 2 goals again today and scoring none. Not that I would be overly harsh on Mc Ginley for any of those conceded, but his kickouts leave a bit to be desired and I would have worries about him with high balls, so I dont know what taking off McGee when the game was in the mix was going to help with that. Seemed bizarre to me as he disn`t appear injured or happy with the call.
    I hope Mc Brearty is ok for next game. Jigger may have a part to play on that team,but he is no replacement for Mc Brearty.
    Glad to see Eoin Mc Hugh nailing the final point. It will do his confidence the world off good. Something I`ve felt he can be a bit lacking in at times shooting.
    Valuable 2 league points today. A loss today and we were looking at relegation even at this early stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 748 ✭✭✭boxer.fan

The kickouts are a major problem. Looks like no work or planning has gone into the restarts.

Way too much faffing over the ball. If there's no easy short option available then the midfielders need to get the opportunity to compete for the high ball first & then the break.

Definitely need more scoring options. Paddy mcbrearty can nick a few on the turn but the better teams have copped on to it.

I'm still believing that these bunch of players will be punching below their weight for the season. 😔

Advertisement