Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Donegal GAA Discussion Thread

Comments

LeoB wrote: »
    Agree 100% but that is not good enough at this level. Every lad on that pitch yesterday made serious sacrifices over the last few year to be where they are and they deserve better. The man should be parking cars not directing a football match.

It was a decent enough game in the conditions. Obviously through my rose tinted glasses Dublin were hard done by at the end with the free. Dublin appeared to me to be replicating in a way the Donegal/Tyrone play in their last 2 games and Id say Gavin and the crew were happy with the draw in the end. Donegal on the other hand had they been a bit more positive could have went for it big time in last 90 seconds.

Donegal will be safe imo.

Of course they do! Having said that, the GAA seem to steadfastly refuse to deal with the issue of inconsistency in standards from referees.

Instead, every time there's an issue, they introduce a new rule, or card - or whatever excuse comes to mind at HQ.

So, where I agree 100% that it's not good enough, I don't see it changing anytime soon, tbh. So, for the moment - that's life!

It shouldn't be - but it is!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Good point. Dare I say a win in Cavan could be enough to see us up?

You dare not. Relegated with 5 points in 2013.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Redsoxfan wrote: »

Spoken like a true Boston supporter :)

Of course they do! Having said that, the GAA seem to steadfastly refuse to deal with the issue of inconsistency in standards from referees.

Instead, every time there's an issue, they introduce a new rule, or card - or whatever excuse comes to mind at HQ.

So, where I agree 100% that it's not good enough, I don't see it changing anytime soon, tbh. So, for the moment - that's life!

Some of them are just disasters, Hurling has better standard of reffing. But even in club semi final the other day, Lyons who is excellent ref, was hog tied by two imbeciles doing umpire. Now, it made no difference in the end but I've seen these people change results.

Lads there yesterday give up practically whole life for years to wear Donegal or Dublin jersey. Might belt one another. That's allowed. Should certainly not have their year hanging on some fkn myopic idiot.

And that's all I have to say about that...

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭North of 32

Bonniedog wrote: »

Some of them are just disasters, Hurling has better standard of reffing. But even in club semi final the other day, Lyons who is excellent ref, was hog tied by two imbeciles doing umpire. Now, it made no difference in the end but I've seen these people change results.

Lads there yesterday give up practically whole life for years to wear Donegal or Dublin jersey. Might belt one another. That's allowed. Should certainly not have their year hanging on some fkn myopic idiot.

Although this is a very unusual opinion, I just can't help but agree because of the way you've phrased it. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭harpsman

Redsoxfan wrote: »
    I think 5 points would be enough this year though-particularly if we beat Cavan-I dont see themselves and Roscommon getting to 5 or more points.

Eh I don't think Dublins year is hanging on whether they win or draw a league game in Ballybofey. Maybe if Dublins players werent a bunch of cheats I'd have more sympathy for them getting a bad decision-same applies to Donegal, Kerry, Tyrone etc. Gaelic football is a particularly difficult game to referee and its made alot harder by players constantly cheating, yes cheating with all the "dark arts" that all the top sides use to get an advantage. Sure, the free at the end was a terrible one but alot of the ref bashing that goes on is moronic. Such as "this poor fella has trained all year-how can the ref give him a black card for a black card offence??".

A Donegal man calling Dublin cheats.... well. I've heard it all now :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,213 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Strangely enough that term was applied to Donegal for impeding (fouling) opposition teams coming out of defense with the ball to allow Donegal time to get their defenders back, and one of the main reasons for the furore that resulted in the introduction of the black card.

Seemed to me, and quite a few journalists as well from reading the coverage, it was a tactic used very much by Dublin (and no black cards for) on Sunday.

Pot, kettle, black perhaps ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

No, a Donegal man saying that Dublin, Donegal, Kerry, Tyrone, etc. all engage in the dark arts.
    Might be time to take the blinkers off there Bonniedog!

• Advertisement

I have never called Donegal cheats my friend!

All teams do what they need to. Has to be limits obviously, but I love watching Dubs and Donegal. There is always something!

All teams do what they need to. Has to be limits obviously, but I love watching Dubs and Donegal. There is always something!

Apologies if I took you up wrong.

In truth I have always enjoyed our encounters and Dublin`s attitude to our games in recent years
    None of that whinging that we have heard from other counties managers.

That would apply in particular to Pat Gilroy, especially in 2011 when the world and its mother were vilifying us, when like yourself he said you do what you have to do, and whereas some Dublin supporters may have not shared his sentiment on that game, supporters I found to be extremely gracious in 2014 on a day that must have been heartbreaking for them.

At least none of our players had to get tetanus shots after this one:D

charlie14 wrote: »
    Apologies if I took you up wrong.

In truth I have always enjoyed our encounters and Dublin`s attitude to our games in recent years
    None of that whinging that we have heard from other counties managers.

That would apply in particular to Pat Gilroy, especially in 2011 when the world and its mother were vilifying us, when like yourself he said you do what you have to do, and whereas some Dublin supporters may have not shared his sentiment on that game, supporters I found to be extremely gracious in 2014 on a day that must have been heartbreaking for them.
    Yeah Gilroy a sound man. Jim gavin could do with taking a leaf out of his book

harpsman wrote: »
    Yeah Gilroy a sound man. Jim gavin could do with taking a leaf out of his book

Gavin is a winner harpsman. He's shrewd and looks to gain advantage where he can. I doubt he cares whether others think he is a sound man or not and tbh why should he. I'm sure plenty of other counties thought similar of our Jim! Give me a winner over a sound man any day!

Ceist_Beag wrote: »
    Gavin is a winner harpsman. He's shrewd and looks to gain advantage where he can. I doubt he cares whether others think he is a sound man or not and tbh why should he. I'm sure plenty of other counties thought similar of our Jim! Give me a winner over a sound man any day!
    Sorry what is the point of your post? I actually know that Jim isnt too bothered by my opinion of him. I never said he wasn't a very good manager, just that Im not his biggest fan-dont worry about it-im sure he isnt:)

Sorry what is the point of your post? I actually know that Jim isnt too bothered by my opinion of him. I never said he wasn't a very good manager, just that Im not his biggest fan-dont worry about it-im sure he isnt:)

:D No real point harpsman, just saying I'd prefer Jim Gavin over Pat Gilroy so if I were a Dub I wouldn't agree that Gavin should take a leaf out of Gilroy's book. FWIW I'm a huge fan of Gavin - anything he says is for the benefit of his own team so personally I would never take offence at his comments if he was having a go at our lads (as I'm sure our lads know only too well).

At least none of our players had to get tetanus shots after this one:D

Woof!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,147 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

As a very typical and proud Cavan man may I ask you lads --
    If you're coming down for the big match on Sunday lads come early and spend a few euro in town. Have the lunch, a few glasses of wine or a few pints to wash it down (if you're not driving) and maybe buy a wee souvenir or a few wee toys for the childer.
    The Dubs set the bar high for yis.

If you're coming down for the big match on Sunday lads come early and spend a few euro in town. Have the lunch, a few glasses of wine or a few pints to wash it down (if you're not driving) and maybe buy a wee souvenir or a few wee toys for the childer.

I`d say tayto with the bobs we left after the two games against Monaghan last yea,r the Dubs would have to stay in Cavan for a few weeks yet to get near that bar, let alone raise it.
    Had a ball myself, grand town that I`ve always enjoyed, (Clones, it aint!) but unfortunately due to work, not going to make it this time, but I learned one lesson, as did the designated driver. (nephews have their uses), park on the by-pass.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

A Cavan man asking others to come and spend money.

The ironing is delicious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

Free lessons on how to peel an orange in your pocket during the half time break

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭rrs

Will McBrearty be back for this game?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

We'll spend plenty unlike you boys. Bring your own food and drink and leave the rubbish!

Ceist_Beag wrote: »
    :D No real point harpsman, just saying I'd prefer Jim Gavin over Pat Gilroy so if I were a Dub I wouldn't agree that Gavin should take a leaf out of Gilroy's book. FWIW I'm a huge fan of Gavin - anything he says is for the benefit of his own team so personally I would never take offence at his comments if he was having a go at our lads (as I'm sure our lads know only too well).
    Ok, fair enough, just find him a wee bit self satisfied, and hypocritical. You're entitled to your opinion i suppose, but I'm right,obviously:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

It would have been set even higher, if the hotel that we parked in (that we also planned on atin' & drinkin' in, before & after the game) didn't have a large bottle of hand sanitizer plonked on the table beside the front door. You couldn't have missed it. There was a large sign beside the bottle that said:

DUE TO THE WINTER VOMITING BUG, WE ASK THAT ALL GUESTS AVAIL OF THE FREE SANITIZER PROVIDED.

(Yes, I know. Free Sanitizer. Fancy that? No jokes about puke football please. :p )

Sorry, but this Dub waited 'til the chippper in Kells, before chowing down.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭thesultan

A few things for the Donegal fans here.
    1 why don't yee kick the ball into the full forward line faster since yee have great speed out of defense

2 is Michael Murphy now a midfielder with Neil gone?

3 I attended the mayo Donegal final and it was a great spectacle how do yee now feel about yer lack of entertainment for containment now?

4 where is mark McHugh and Molloy now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,256 ✭✭✭LeoB

Eh I don't think Dublins year is hanging on whether they win or draw a league game in Ballybofey. Maybe if Dublins players werent a bunch of cheats I'd have more sympathy for them getting a bad decision-same applies to Donegal, Kerry, Tyrone etc. Gaelic football is a particularly difficult game to referee and its made alot harder by players constantly cheating, yes cheating with all the "dark arts" that all the top sides use to get an advantage. Sure, the free at the end was a terrible one but alot of the ref bashing that goes on is moronic. Such as "this poor fella has trained all year-how can the ref give him a black card for a black card offence??".

Having refereed senior football and underage inter county this "cheating" has crept in and got worse over the last 10 years. But it is not been dealt with. Goalkeepers screaming at umpires to wave a ball wide and at linesmen to get a decision. I have sent off players for abusing linesmen at club games. But the ref bashing that goes on here is usually justified. Most of us agree but we dig up another incident to balance it out.

We all gripe about decisions but too often in football big decisions are baffling considering there are 7 officials and the ref who looks after the sideline.
    Are the hurling fraternity more honest??

thesultan wrote: »
    A few things for the Donegal fans here.
    1 why don't yee kick the ball into the full forward line faster since yee have great speed out of defense

2 is Michael Murphy now a midfielder with Neil gone?

3 I attended the mayo Donegal final and it was a great spectacle how do yee now feel about yer lack of entertainment for containment now?

4 where is mark McHugh and Molloy now?

Mark McHugh still on the panel. Molloy gone from the panel a few years now.

At the moment Michael Murphy in midfield is a case of "needs must"

We actually played Dublin without a full forward line and it worked out ok Sunday

The Mayo v Donegal AI Final 2012 and quick ball into the forward line was a weakness Jim Mc Guinness, praised be his name, saw with Mayo, same as he saw the weakness in Dublin`s half backline AI Semi Final 2014.

We had very little containment v Armagh Championship 2010.
    There may be some who found that entertainment.
    Personally I get more entertainment from winning, as do the majority of GAA fans at any level supporting their team I would imagine.

• Advertisement

ProudDUB wrote: »
    It would have been set even higher, if the hotel that we parked in (that we also planned on atin' & drinkin' in, before & after the game) didn't have a large bottle of hand sanitizer plonked on the table beside the front door. You couldn't have missed it. There was a large sign beside the bottle that said:

DUE TO THE WINTER VOMITING BUG, WE ASK THAT ALL GUESTS AVAIL OF THE FREE SANITIZER PROVIDED.

(Yes, I know. Free Sanitizer. Fancy that? No jokes about puke football please. :p )

Sorry, but this Dub waited 'til the chippper in Kells, before chowing down.
    I don't understand. That looks to me like they're pointing out that the winter vomiting bug exists and they're trying to prevent its spread by getting people to use hand sanitizer. Whats your problem with that?

If you're that concerned about not getting sick stop eating out of chippers would be my advice:mad:

Advertisement