Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Donegal GAA Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

thesultan wrote:
    A few things for the Donegal fans here. 1 why don't yee kick the ball into the full forward line faster since yee have great speed out of defense

We usually have to run a long way before we are close enough to kick it. And there is usually only one man to kick it too, typically marked with a sweeper watching. Note I am not suggesting we shouldn't be trying to kick it in faster, but we are not set up to do it.
    thesultan wrote:
    2 is Michael Murphy now a midfielder with Neil gone?

Yes, possibly for the rest of his career.
    thesultan wrote:
    3 I attended the mayo Donegal final and it was a great spectacle how do yee now feel about yer lack of entertainment for containment now?

Lack of entertainment in itself is not a problem. Lack of ability to win big games is.
    thesultan wrote:
    4 where is mark McHugh and Molloy now?

One is gone. The other is still hanging around like a bad smell.

rrs wrote:
    Will McBrearty be back for this game?

Democrat says that he should be.

McElhinney, Gillespie and Cian Mulligan could be available too.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Alvin Holler

Redsoxfan wrote: »

Gillespie and Cian Mulligan could be available too.

Good to see them back with the 21s game coming up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

harpsman wrote: »
    I don't understand. That looks to me like they're pointing out that the winter vomiting bug exists and they're trying to prevent its spread by getting people to use hand sanitizer. Whats your problem with that?

If you're that concerned about not getting sick stop eating out of chippers would be my advice:mad:

Don't mind him. Hes probably from Crokes or somewhere that get tofu :)

Good to see them back with the 21s game coming up

I think we know what Gillespie can bring.

Mulligan looked like a star on the 2014 team. Hopefully he develops, it would be good to see him get some action in the latter half of the league.

But yeah, good to see with the U21s in a few weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

Mulligan is a lovely footballer. Two feet, fast, knows where the posts are (although he can play half back as well as half forward). As you say RSF, it's all about how he develops now, to see if he can make the transition. What about Tony McLenaghan lads? He was another of the 2014 team that really stood out. I think he played a bit in the Dr McKenna cup so hopefully he's another who can progress to the seniors.

We really need McClenaghan and McGonagle to kick on.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Murphy14

Agree RSF I would add Mc Menamin to that list also

Murphy14 wrote:
    Agree RSF I would add Mc Menamin to that list also

Aye, I don't recall him as well as the others but someone else I was talking to at the weekend rates him very highly.

Team named for (postponed) game v Cavan

McGinley
    McGrath
    N McGee
    EB Gallagher
    Ward
    McGlynn
    Paul Brennan
    J McGee
    C Thompson
    Michael Carroll
    O'Reilly
    R McHugh
    McBrearty
    Murphy
    Jigger

• Advertisement

That team probably won't start but I'd imagine we'll be set up with a more attacking system than we were against Dublin.

We always struggle to pick up points away from home but that team is good enough to win, would be fantastic to build on the last couple of performances with another good result.

Game on according to Frank Craig of the Donegal Post.

That team probably won't start but I'd imagine we'll be set up with a more attacking system than we were against Dublin.

Eoin McHugh for Jigger maybe, but it's close enough.

We always struggle to pick up points away from home but that team is good enough to win, would be fantastic to build on the last couple of performances with another good result.

Aye, we are marginal underdogs which is fair enough but I think we are good enough to win.

Soft evening in Cavan. No rain at the moment mind you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

What was the red for?

Somehow Cavan still in it at half time. We have been well on top but converting less than 50% of our scoring chances. Cavan shut up shop once they went a man down and the 2nd half could be tough going.

No Paddy McBrearty and Jigger and Hugh McFadden struggling to have much impact.

We have to stop putting Frank McGlynn at risk of decapitation/concussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭harpsman

Come on. Against 14 men. Have the ball for 5 minutes and don't get a shot away. That's disappointing. Looks we're going to struggle for scores this year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,289 ✭✭✭tanko

Not much by the sound of it.

Jayop wrote:
    What was the red for?

A dirty hit on Eoin Ban Gallagher.

Comfortable win in the end. Early 2nd half burst of 1-1 put us in the driving seat. I wouldn't get too excited - Cavan were very poor and won't get to 5 points so we are safe. But hey, two away wins and a point against the best team in the country is good going. Good showings from the new boys especially Thompson and Jamie Brennan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭North of 32

Didn't really learn much from that game. Cavan performed very far below their standards. 
    If Thompson can knock over those points in the championship, it will be a tremendous option. That sort of scoring ability from distance would've helped beat Tyrone in last year's Ulster final. 
    When it looked like McGee had damaged his shoulder, I was worried about the effect it might have on our Ulster campaign. He's a player I would very much like to have available. The upcoming games will be a real test and if he performs well, I think he could potentially justify a starting position. 
    Murphy looks considerably less hindered than last season. Having him fully fit would be a huge boost - he was quite a distance off his best last season, whatever knock he was playing through.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

Cavan are laughably bad.

Good result and another 2 points on the board. Leading scorers in Division 1 apparently.

We'll have to be very unlucky to go down.

Also, what was that nonsense with the Band on the terrace? Maybe we could ask Enya to rattle out a few songs on Saturday week! Could hear Christy and his bagpipes clearly on the coverage after which raised a smile.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

I wouldn't read too much into the result tonight as it is impossible to describe how bad Cavan were. Had we been more clinical in front of goal it would have been a massacre. Cavan offered no threat and only penetrated our defence on a couple of occasions.
    We were solid at the back but I can't be the only one who has their heart in their mouth every time a high ball goes into our square. Our keeper just doesn't inspire confidence under the dropping ball. On our kick outs , in the first half, I felt sorry for McGinley. We were strolling out with our backs to the ball giving him no option but to kick long.
    Neil McGee strolled through tonight's game in second gear which tells you all you need to know about the threat Cavan posed. Paddy was composed alongside him. Frank McGlynn was always in the right place and it is a sign of a good player when he always seems to have time on the ball. Ryan McHugh is the archetypal modern day footballer. He has a great engine, an endless appetite for work and while he makes the occasional mistake he has developed into one of the best players in the country.
    The two young lads at the back both played well. However I feel EBG is currently further along in his development than Ward. He looks more comfortable on the ball and appears to read the game better. Both are fine athletes and appear to have bright futures.
    While it is early days Jason McGee looks like he has the potential to develop into a top quality midfielder. He was dominant under the Cavan kickout, chipped in with his trademark point from distance and showed a good appetite for getting around the pitch. Hopefully his injury isn't too serious. He is getting the opportunity to learn from the master. Murphy controlled the tempo we played at and a couple of his passes to the inside forward line were worth the journey alone.
    Michéal Carroll never quite got to the pitch of the game. He worked hard but the game seemed to pass him by. Marty O'Reilly linked play well although he never really threatened going forward. Ciaran Thompson started slowly but in the second half he showed what a threat he can be with some quality scores.
    Eoin McHugh took his goal well and as usual had an excellent workrate. Hugh McFadden showed glimpses, kicking a good score, but was also caught behind the full back a couple of times. Jigger never got into the game and if anything appeared a little sluggish. Jamie Brennan did well tonight when he came in a took his scores well. It was also good to see Daniel McLaughlin come on and hopefully he can fulfil the potential he showed in 2012.
    The fist pumping on our sideline would put Tiger Woods to shame and directing it towards the Cavan management looked pathetic.
    We have put ourselves in a good position in the league. One more win will guarantee safety and a point would probably be sufficient. For once we would probably welcome extra games in the league to further the development of the youngsters although I'd prefer to see us use the U21s more sparingly from here to allow that team play to their potential.

Whatever about the standard of opposition, scoring 1-16 without McBrearty is not something to be expected. There have positives from each of the league games and we have improved each game, nice to see Brennan getting a few scores as it's been tough for him to make an impact so far

If we manage to beat Tyrone in the Under 21's, I can't see Rory resting the 21's as he'll see the next three league games as too important for preparing for the Ulster championship. Plus we'd probably be struggling to field a team without them!

Whatever about the standard of opposition, scoring 1-16 without McBrearty is not something to be expected. There have positives from each of the league games and we have improved each game, nice to see Brennan getting a few scores as it's been tough for him to make an impact so far

If we manage to beat Tyrone in the Under 21's, I can't see Rory resting the 21's as he'll see the next three league games as too important for preparing for the Ulster championship. Plus we'd probably be struggling to field a team without them!

I am firmly of the opinion that the U-21 championships much be the priority for these lads.

We need to win a provincial u-21. Been dicking around infinals getting beat too often. Have got to get one under the belt and give the all Ireland a rattle.

Democrat reporting that Jason McGee could be out for 3 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭LilNiall

Gotta say ive been surprised and impressed with the signs from the league especially after day 1 v Kerry. 4 or 5 of the younger players have looked good, Ward, Gallagher, McGee, Thompson and Brennan. Murphy looking better than 16. McGlynn and The McHughs still going strong.

Keeper still a worry but especially last night we really competed well in midfield when the ball went long. Against Kerry we were cleaned out here. 2 league ties with familiar opponents upcoming but with home advantage i fancy us to win these.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,213 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

I am firmly of the opinion that the U-21 championships much be the priority for these lads.

We need to win a provincial u-21. Been dicking around infinals getting beat too often. Have got to get one under the belt and give the all Ireland a rattle.

I would be of the same opinion.

The two Senior All Ireland`s we have won came of the back of two winning U21 sides and another that were denied by food poisoning and a crossbar.

I cannot see us winning an AI Senior this year as much as I would love too, and raiding the U21`s for nothing but a quick fix for the Senior team would not favour our future prospects imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭PressRun

LilNiall wrote: »
    Gotta say ive been surprised and impressed with the signs from the league especially after day 1 v Kerry. 4 or 5 of the younger players have looked good, Ward, Gallagher, McGee, Thompson and Brennan. Murphy looking better than 16. McGlynn and The McHughs still going strong.

Keeper still a worry but especially last night we really competed well in midfield when the ball went long. Against Kerry we were cleaned out here. 2 league ties with familiar opponents upcoming but with home advantage i fancy us to win these.

I said it back when ye played Kerry, I wouldn't be downbeat about future prospects. I know there are reservations about management, but the young talent coming through look handy.

Advertisement