Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Donegal GAA Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

That would be a massive balls if Jason McGee was missing against Tyrone.- U-21 I mean but the senior too.

That would be a massive balls if Jason McGee was missing against Tyrone.- U-21 I mean but the senior too.

Looking like he will be, though.:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,963 ✭✭✭doc_17

Apparently Gaoth Dobhair are without 9 players this weeekd due to county minor and u21 commitments.

I also heard that senior county players are not being allowed to play with their clubs for the first 3 rounds of the league. And the fourth round is star fixture.

What a f***ing joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭dog_pig

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Alvin Holler

charlie14 wrote: »
    I would be of the same opinion.

The two Senior All Ireland`s we have won came of the back of two winning U21 sides and another that were denied by food poisoning and a crossbar.

I cannot see us winning an AI Senior this year as much as I would love too, and raiding the U21`s for nothing but a quick fix for the Senior team would not favour our future prospects imo.

I see what you're saying but these guys have won ulster minor titles so we know they're good. I'm probably in the minority here but I'd take an ulster at senior level and getting through to a semi final with a lot of the younger guys playing than an all ireland at under 21 level. I think the young players would benefit a lot more matching up against Dublin and Tyrone at senior level.

It does show the utter ridiculousness of the current fixture schedule and why they are scrapping the under 21 championship. They could end up having six games in the next 3/4 weeks and then only one game in over 2 months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭jjdonegal

I see what you're saying but these guys have won ulster minor titles so we know they're good. I'm probably in the minority here but I'd take an ulster at senior level and getting through to a semi final with a lot of the younger guys playing than an all ireland at under 21 level. I think the young players would benefit a lot more matching up against Dublin and Tyrone at senior level.

It does show the utter ridiculousness of the current fixture schedule and why they are scrapping the under 21 championship. They could end up having six games in the next 3/4 weeks and then only one game in over 2 months.

I agree.

I see Gaoth Dobhair have had their game cancelled and rightly so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Well, halfway through the league and we already have 5 points, which is what I thought we would end up with for the entire campaign. So kudos to the manager (yes, I said it), we are safe in Division One for another year while at the same time introducing a number of new players.

But, let's be clear - we have only beaten teams we should have beaten and haven't beaten any team that would be considered 'good'. It will be disappointing if we win none of our remaining three games, especially since two of them are at home. And while it's encouraging that the younger players haven't looked out of the place, all are there because we had no choice but to make changes in light of all the retirements.

Rightly or wrongly, I am looking at each game in terms of 'how will we beat Tyrone on 18 June'? I have seen nothing yet to convince me that we are in a better position than we finished the 2016 Ulster Final while Tyrone are probably no worse. We have no right to believe that we will of course, but the end of last year's Ulster Final leaves a bitter taste. We won't know what the likes of Caolan Ward, Eoin Ban Gallagher, Jason McGee, Michael Carroll and Jamie Brennan can really contribute until we see them in Championship action. This summer could be too early for them, but I would like to see us give them something to think about. Despite what is being written, I am not seeing anything new, it's just new faces playing the same way.

Agree with others that the U21 Championship is important. We are a long way off a Senior All Ireland, but our previous wins were based on successful U21 teams in 82, 87 and 10. Beating Tyrone is important for this group of U21s as it will build their confidence further following Ulster Minor success but it also helps start turn the tide after we lost to Tyrone in each of the last two years. Won't make the game, will have to try and listen on Highland which is absolute torture as coverage will be broken up by Comack and Country and Western.

Oh and by the way, the Championship draw is a bit of a joke. Surely there should be seeding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Redsoxfan wrote: »
    Oh and by the way, the Championship draw is a bit of a joke. Surely there should be seeding.

It's a pisser that we're due to meet in the semi, but tbf, once you avoid the prelim in Ulster you're not doing too bad. You've Antrim too in the 1/4 so that's as handy as you get in Ulster.

Edit: You're talking about the U21 game aren't you. Doh!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 748 ✭✭✭boxer.fan

I've heard on a fairly reliable source that Michael Boyle is coming into top form again this year.
    Apparently his kick outs in particular are landing on the chest out the field. I wonder will he get a look in this year at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭North of 32

boxer.fan wrote: »
    I've heard on a fairly reliable source that Michael Boyle is coming into top form again this year.
    Apparently his kick outs in particular are landing on the chest out the field. I wonder will he get a look in this year at all.
    Kick outs to the chest? Sounds dreamy. I'd very much like to see him get game time.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Murphy14

Kick outs to the chest? Sounds dreamy. I'd very much like to see him get game time.

Boyle is top notch at kick outs but is he still involved in the panel on a playing capacity I read somewhere that he is a s&c coach with the squad

Jayop wrote:
    Edit: You're talking about the U21 game aren't you. Doh!!

I am talking about the Donegal Club Championship.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭jdbarry

Some seriously lobsided groups. Apparently Glenties were very nearly in Group 3 with Kilcar, Glenswilly and Gweedore, them and Ardara were the last 2 pulled out.

Ah, way above my pay grade so.

Headed for Omagh later. Expecting fireworks, there is a genuine dislike amongst the players and management.

This will be a tough ask for them, you know what you'll get from a Tyrone team in Tyrone. Its really unfortunate with the injures we've got.A shame we don't have a full rattle and see where we are at. If they can get past Tyrone tonight they *should* win Ulster.

I couldn't disagree more about the seeding. It's exactly like the super 8. Elitist. Who cares if a big team goes out early? It'll give others a chance.

And seeding based on what? League performance when players are not allowed play in the league? Or the previous year's championship? Where the winners would get a leg up again the following year?

No. Just because a couple of good teams are in the same group shouldn't mean it makes it more difficult than it already is for the weaker clubs to progress.

Extra time at Healy Park.

The Donegal wide tally can only be described as 'stupid'.

Extra time at Healy Park.

The Donegal wide tally can only be described as 'stupid'.

15 wides to Tyrone's 3.

Apparently we had one cleared off the line there just before the end. Listenting to Tyrone radio and they reckon we're blessed ye didn't run away with it.

• Advertisement

Finish them FFS.

15 wides to 3

We are also winning the changes to the team named in the programme by 7 to nil.

And we are winning the score on captains by 2 to 1.

So a lot to celebrate.

Another big Tyrone goal chance saved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

Following this on Twitter is slow torture

Following this on Twitter is slow torture

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/teamtalkmag-com-radio

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

Jayop wrote: »

Cheers, but unfortunately I'm in work in an office in the United States where all streaming is blocked!

Torture listening on Highland too where Oisin's phone keeps running out of credit.

Country and Western kicks in just as Eoin Ban puts us ahead again.

Sounds like a cracker

All square. I'm reading that Donegal's bench were kicking spare balls on to the field as Tyrone were attacking there at the very end. Poor form if true and it's supposed to have happened a few times.

• Advertisement

Brennan saves the day for Tyrone and then both sides had chances to win it. Tyrone showed good patience with the last possession and I thought they would steal it but defence crowded them out well. Some fella was streaming it on Periscope.

Rory Carr and Cian Mulligan came on for Donegal.

Sounds like Michael Langan should be taking 45s for the Seniors.

Advertisement