Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Donegal GAA Discussion Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Redsoxfan wrote: »
    Brennan saves the day for Tyrone and then both sides had chances to win it. Tyrone showed good patience with the last possession and I thought they would steal it but defence crowded them out well. Some fella was streaming it on Periscope.

Rory Carr and Cian Mulligan came on for Donegal.

Sounds like Michael Langan should be taking 45s for the Seniors.

Ah here. If I knew that!

Could they have it as a curtain raiser on Saturday night or is there a minor game already down?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

And they go at it again. Draw was fair as nobody should really have lost.

Hopefully we can get players back.

Jayop wrote: »
    Ah here. If I knew that!

Could they have it as a curtain raiser on Saturday night or is there a minor game already down?

Next Wednesday.

That ball thing isn't true either. Tyrone were going forward and there was a ball kicked in the opposite corner trying to get it to the goalkeeper who didn't have any.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Jayop wrote:

Not sure if serious....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,963 ✭✭✭doc_17

So Gaoth Dobhair will have another free weekend then?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Next Wednesday.

That ball thing isn't true either. Tyrone were going forward and there was a ball kicked in the opposite corner trying to get it to the goalkeeper who didn't have any.

Good, glad to hear it. A lad on Twitter who gives updates from every Tyrone game was saying it happened at the end of the game and the radio station I was listening to said separately that t had happened near the end of one of the previous halves too.

So the ladies have been banned from speaking with the meeja after a piece (with nothing controversial in it) with Donegal sports hub.

Can't pretend to care about women's football but pretty ridiculous from the management.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭North of 32

So far this season I have only seen Tyrone play Dublin and they impressed me. I hope we can pick up some lessons from this match unlike the game against Cavan.

Sounds like it's going well in my absence...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,213 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Redsoxfan wrote: »
    Sounds like it's going well in my absence...

5mins + injury time 05 - 012

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

Some wins are sweeter than others.

Where do refs find this extra time in Donegal games ?

10 mins injury time in the 2nd half.

Good performance 11 of the 12 points from play. Tyrone 2 points in the second half both from frees.

Can we for fcuk sake stop playing games in O Donnell Park!

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭North of 32

I love Neil McGee.

I love Neil McGee.

Getting quite fond of Ciaran Thompson myself :)

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭ghostfacekilla

charlie14 wrote: »
    I love Neil McGee.

Getting quite fond of Ciaran Thompson myself :)

I'm still on an endless search of trying to understand Rory's love-in with Mark McHugh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 422 ✭✭The Assistinator

Fantastic win tonight in absolutely atrocious conditions the boys played well and I will never know how Tyrone ended that game with 15 men.
    Is there a chance we could end up in the league final :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Alvin Holler

Another excellent result, it great to see the progression throughout the spring after all the pessimism over the winter.

Nice to see Mulligan get a run and a good score. We probably don't really need another pacey, lightweight, attacking half back but he's always impressed me whenever I've seen him.

Still a bit perplexed that Stephen McBrearty only ever seems to get two minutes at the end of games.

I'm still on an endless search of trying to understand Rory's love-in with Mark McHugh.

A bigger mystery than the 3rd secret of Fatima

Very good performance in what was absolutely atrocious conditions.

Better all over the field and stood up to Tyrone when they started shoving. Ryan McHugh, Murphy, Paddy McGrath all excellent.

Very impressed with our handling today.

Very good performance in what was absolutely atrocious conditions.

Better all over the field and stood up to Tyrone when they started shoving. Ryan McHugh, Murphy, Paddy McGrath all excellent.

Very impressed with our handling today.

Delighted with Paddy McGrath`s point, even though I was a bit worried he might have a nose-bleed from being that far forward. The black card ?
    Good lad Paddy!
    I would add Thompson to that trio. If he can keep that form going in the championship we will make it awkward for anyone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭gooner99

They should switch the Monaghan game to Ballybofey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

charlie14 wrote:
    Delighted with Paddy McGrath`s point, even though I was a bit worried he might have a nose-bleed from being that far forward.

He went on a good few runs up forward against Dublin too. Not something I'd usually associate with him or his build but he's well able for it.
    He could easily get caught out in the summer though when the pace picks up and counter attacks move so much faster. He's fast but not that fast. I guess a system could be in place around it.

Stoner wrote:
    He went on a good few runs up forward against Dublin too. Not something I'd usually associate with him or his build but he's well able for it. He could easily get caught out in the summer though when the pace picks up and counter attacks move so much faster. He's fast but not that fast. I guess a system could be in place around it.

Paddy gets up the field quite a bit but is generally shot shy. All full backs on the team get forward, and yes, they can be caught out, but there is generally cover.

Well I watched the game this morning. Some great scores from play. I do wonder what Tyrone came to Ballybofey to achieve - did they really want to win the game or did they decide to set up in a way that will give them some insight ahead of 18 June? I don't think we will see Matty Donnelly at full forward and I don't think his influence will be as marginal.

Justin McMahon is the cheapest of cheap suits.

Eoin McHugh still turns the ball over too much.

Michael Carroll needs to start taking the relatively straightforward chances he gets.

Great to see Paddy McGrath finally score!

Martin McElhinney came on and I see Karl Lacey got some game time for Four Masters today, so we are not far off having everyone available.

Anyway, a great result, good performance. I just don't believe it's how the Ulster Semi-Final will go, although Tyrone will definitely struggle for scores. The question is, will we be better able to make the most of our limited opportunities? Based on last night's evidence, we are in good shape, and it's no harm to see the likes of Thompson, McFadden and Mulligan have the confidence to take on shots against a packed defence.

Don't really care how the final two games go - important for the Under 21s to win at home on Wednesday night. Who knows what sort of game we will see in Ballyshannon. By the time we go to Castlebar, Mayo could well be desperate for points. As long as we are competitive and the new players continue to show improvement it will be a very successful Division One campaign and it's a long time since I have said that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭Ollieboy

I have to be honest and I was in total shock watching this game and did not expect the performance or the result and this was a great result and a good statement to send out to other teams and in particular Tyrone.

The lads played a great game and some very impressive performances but Tyrone were brutal.

Some of the new players were brilliant and have given the team a real option up front and in the middle of the park.

Murphy and James McHugh were both outstanding and James in particular link up the play between the defense and forward line brilliantly. It's really important that he stays fit for the seasons. The only fault against him was the goal opportunity when he should have moved left earlier and off-load the ball to the right for an open goal but besides that he was my man of the match.

The tactics Tyrone used in the 2nd half to "rough up" the Donegal players was embarrassing for them and they really need to grow up.

If they keep this level of performance going for the season ahead I can see us taken Ulster and at least a Semi-final berth.... unfortunately I will then need to apologies to Rory which I would gladly do for my negativity towards him in earlier posts.

I also think the league title is a option at this stage if they want it!

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭bob skunkhouse

No need to apologise just yet. The template we've seen before- defend en mass and attack at speed. But with regards to 'bleeding' youth, kudos to the man. I thought the team played very well given the opposition and the conditions that were in it. Agree with another poster than suggested Eoin McH turns over ball to easily but I'd say he's giving away 15kg to most inter-county defenders. Ryan had a super game. The goal chance - I think he took the right option. My only concern is that when we meet again in June 18th that Tyrone will adopt the same tactic as last year and possibly put a man maker on him. That been said, I think we've the players and ball carriers to circumvent that tactic. Good to see us compete at midfield - a concern for me at the start of the season. Looks like Murphy will slot in there for the year ahead. His leadership and composure on the ball will help the younger back 6. Thought Eamon Doherty took his chance well but I cant help think that one or two fewer choc-ices would do the man wonders. Thought FMcG did well for the 35 he was on and took his point well. Best game in years for PMcG. By and large I thought our back 13 did really well. I wouldn't worry too much about Lacy. He might have experience on his side but the fleet of foot he doesn't have. Did Hugh McF really score 2 points?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

In fairness to Hugh McF, given his limitations, I think he has done quite well in the past few games and full forward might be an option for him. He took his points well and is a decent target man. That said, his lack of pace will be more prominent come the summer so I'm not saying he's the answer, just that he looks better up there than he ever did around the middle of the park.
    Watching Saturday I kept thinking Tyrone must be holding back for later in the year but if this were the case, how come they got so easily wound up in the second half? They seemed to really lose the head with some of their carry on so it's good to see we can still get right under their skin! How McNamee didn't get a red for a clear punch I don't know!

The game will have absolutely no bearing on June (if we beat Antrim etc etc).

Mickey Hartes full of nonsense, wants to win every game bla bla bla. Tyrone were certainly keeping their powder dry for the summer at the weekend. They were trying the long ball somewhat too which didn't come off and they won't do in the summer either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 422 ✭✭The Assistinator

Have to agree RE Mickey Harte no way was he showing his full hand and Tyrone won't play that same game come June but I still remember last years ulster final Donegal lost that game cause of the bad decisions on the sidelines trying to hold onto a two point lead.
    In my opinion we look to be in better shape than we where last year and I don't think Tyrone have improved as much so I would still think Ulster will be a very realistic target this year if anything I believe Monaghan are a better team this year and hold a bigger challenge and having home advantage is such a big help to them.

• Advertisement

Sad to hear about Martin McGuinness. Proud of his Donegal roots and a supporter of our teams (where they were not playing Derry).

I would hope for a minutes silence on Wednesday night.

Advertisement