Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Donegal GAA Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,213 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Have to agree RE Mickey Harte no way was he showing his full hand and Tyrone won't play that same game come June but I still remember last years ulster final Donegal lost that game cause of the bad decisions on the sidelines trying to hold onto a two point lead.
    In my opinion we look to be in better shape than we where last year and I don't think Tyrone have improved as much so I would still think Ulster will be a very realistic target this year if anything I believe Monaghan are a better team this year and hold a bigger challenge and having home advantage is such a big help to them.

Tyrone have Derry their first day out and with the Slaughneil lads back Harte may have to show more than he would like before we hopefully get past Antrim and meet them.
    Be interesting how they do against Mayo at home this weekend. Mayo should be going hell for leather to prevent them being relegated, and after last weekend the Tyrone supporters will be expecting a backlash from their lads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,963 ✭✭✭doc_17

Rory is the man. 2 away wins in a single season in Div 1. Jim didn't even win 1. I hope all you anti Rory men are hanging your head in shame!!!

doc_17 wrote: »
    Rory is the man. 2 away wins in a single season in Div 1. Jim didn't even win 1. I hope all you anti Rory men are hanging your head in shame!!!

I`m ready and willing when Gallagher wins three Ulsters and an All Ireland.

This is his third year in charge btw and no silverware so far.

Going to need to get a move on fast if heads are going to be hanging in shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭rrs

Is he trying to burn out the u21s in the process? They played extra time against Tyrone and a few were involved 3 days later for the Seniors

Kerry, Dublin, Mayo don't run the u21s into the ground like Donegal do. Gallagher played Ryan Mchugh against Mayo in 2015, final round of the league, when Doengal were already safe. He had a u21 final 3 days later,.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

doc_17 wrote:

Good one, I'm on mobile so can't reply with a smiley.

• Advertisement

rrs wrote:
    Kerry, Dublin, Mayo don't run the u21s into the ground like Donegal do. Gallagher played Ryan Mchugh against Mayo in 2015, final round of the league, when Doengal were already safe. He had a u21 final 3 days later,.

Aye, remember that well. High McFadden and possibly others too. In fairness, I don't think McGuinness gave U21 players the weekend off either.

I'm still catching a few! Sure ''twas Rory that was the brains behind it in 2011 and 2012!!

But in all seriousness, we gotta give him credit when it's due as the league has been comfortable for us barring the usual SNAFU in Letterkenny.

But I think we'll still lacking something when it comes to the championship

doc_17 wrote: »
    I'm still catching a few! Sure ''twas Rory that was the brains behind it in 2011 and 2012!!

But in all seriousness, we gotta give him credit when it's due as the league has been comfortable for us barring the usual SNAFU in Letterkenny.

But I think we'll still lacking something when it comes to the championship

If last years championship is anything to go by, that would be a brain cell on the sideline.

Great win by the U21sDonegal 0 - 18 Tyrone 1 -09

Tyrone keeper saved a penalty.

Well that is a very satisfying win. Sounded dominant in the 2nd half, and but for what sounded like a really messy goal and a missed penalty it would have been even more comfortable.

Martin Beag picked out O'Baoil, Mulligan, Carroll and Langan as our best players.

Gillespie back too.

Cavan up next in Enniskillen next week and we sure owe them a beating or two at this level.

• Advertisement

Redsoxfan wrote: »
    Well that is a very satisfying win. Sounded dominant in the 2nd half, and but for what sounded like a really messy goal and a missed penalty it would have been even more comfortable.

Martin Beag picked out O'Baoil, Mulligan, Carroll and Langan as our best players.

Gillespie back too.

Cavan up next in Enniskillen next week and we sure owe them a beating or two at this level.

Like the way when Tyrone pulled it back to 2 they pushed on.

Langan is a bit of a sharpshooter from frees.
    Great to see Gillespie back.
    We definitely owe Cavan one, and very satisfying 2 wins v Tyrone in 4 days

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

Well done to Declan and the lads tonight, although hardly surprising as our U21 team beat their seniors on Saturday
    Apart from being good footballers we appear to be developing players with genuine pace. The team didn't appear to panic despite the soft goal and kicked on after the penalty miss. With Ciaran Gillespie and Rory Carr both getting a run our squad is getting much stronger. I'm delighted that Michéal Carroll had a good game tonight against this particular opposition.
    It was really surprising to see such an innocent bunch of Tyrone lads finishing with two red cards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 422 ✭✭The Assistinator

I unfortunately missed this but so many positives by the sound of things don't want to be getting ahead of myself here but great to see so many good young players coming through and a win against Tyrone at any level is always welcome and six points seems to be the magic number:D

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭squareball1988

Lord hi but I hate Tyrone.

Would have been nice if the hurlers could have done the triple but sure look.

Very satisfying to put up such a bit score too. But need to back it up V Cavan which will be a tricky enough assignment. Don't know a lot about Cavan but we've struggled with them at this level in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

Right hi can we now just ban them from coming over the border into Donegal for at least 12 months?

Twice in a week is too much.

I must make my thoughts clear to Teresa May. No hard border except from Strabane to Castlederg.

Hope Fergal Logan enjoyed his trip home. I look forward to the excuses and victimisation accusations in due course.

Right hi can we now just ban them from coming over the border into Donegal for at least 12 months?

Twice in a week is too much.

I must make my thoughts clear to Teresa May. No hard border except from Strabane to Castlederg.

Hope Fergal Logan enjoyed his trip home. I look forward to the excuses and victimisation accusations in due course.

:D:D:D

We also played very well tonight fwiw. It's a shame we can't get everyone back fit it's a serious panel with a full compliment.

We are light on forwards though imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Alvin Holler

We are light on forwards though imo.

I'd agree. Perhaps Rory Carr is the answer but he must be a fair bit off match sharpness. Not sure what's the story with Lorcan Connor or Niall O'Donnell but they'd be good options to have.

Hopefully Gillespie, McGonigle and McGee are fit to start next week. Along with Langan, Carroll and McClenaghan they give us serious options around midfield.
    Murphy may even manage to end his Donegal career playing at full forward if those boys come through!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Hopefully Gillespie, McGonigle and McGee are fit to start next week. Along with Langan, Carroll and McClenaghan they give us serious options around midfield. Murphy may even manage to end his Donegal career playing at full forward if those boys come through!!

You'd imagine so. More options there than forwards coming through. Even give him the half-forward third midfielder option let him develop it.

I think this is a very good young team coming through. How many of the total extended senior panel are in the U21 squad?

• Advertisement

doc_17 wrote:
    I think this is a very good young team coming through. How many of the total extended senior panel are in the U21 squad?

As the song goes, blurred lines

I make it

Rogers
    McCole
    EB Gallagher
    Gillespie
    Mulligan
    McGee
    McGonagle (?)
    Langan
    Carroll
    Brennan
    McBrearty

There might be more but those are the obvious ones.

And Rory Carr was part of the panel before he got injured.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Alvin Holler

Ethan O'Donnell also came on in the league against kerry.

I think I heard 14/15 in the extended senior panel.

I think it's been a major step in the right direction to have our best 4/5 minor from each year to go into senior training immediately after finishing minor.

Christ, Peter Campbell in the democrat is unbelievably tedious.

Latest article/opinion piece: Is Ryan McHugh now better than Martin? *groans*. The crux was - "I asked two men about this one and they both said no".

I eagerly await news of the Pulitzer winging its way to Donegal! His match reports and ludicrous player ratings are usually drier than Ghandis flip flop too.

Thank god for online journalism and Donegal Sport Hub is all I can say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 422 ✭✭The Assistinator

Christ, Peter Campbell in the democrat is unbelievably tedious.

Latest article/opinion piece: Is Ryan McHugh now better than Martin? *groans*. The crux was - "I asked two men about this one and they both said no".

I eagerly await news of the Pulitzer winging its way to Donegal! His match reports and ludicrous player ratings are usually drier than Ghandis flip flop too.

Thank god for online journalism and Donegal Sport Hub is all I can say.

Such awfull crap by any journalist to write glad I don't give them twats a Penney and any dinosaur that can't roll with the times and analysis a game on its own merits does not deserve too be published.
    BTW these are the kinda people that are voting at congress, yeah fills me full of confidence too. :rolleyes::confused::confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,223 ✭✭✭overshoot

I barely touch the democrat. Especially since donal reid's article along the lines of -mindfulness is hokum everyone needs good Christian values, was the back page headline story last year... Treatment recommended world over by national health services. Frankly dangerous.
    As someone sais above, long live the sporthub!

Michael Murphy Sports streaming the game on Facebook

FFS.

• Advertisement

F*ck sake.How irritating is that.

Advertisement