Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Donegal GAA Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 422 ✭✭The Assistinator

F*ck sake.How irritating is that.

Big time couldn't get the stream to work either but hopefully a win next weekend in mayo will see us get a chance at this unbeaten record of the dubs:D

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭dog_pig

Anyone see what happened for the penalty?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

While it would have been nice to keep that lot in their place in the greater scheme of things it's probably not a bad result for us. If we had won we were in all probability in the league final while may have been a step too far this early in the season for such a young team. It means if the 21s win on Wednesday the focus should championship rather than a league game with Dublin. Trying to double up will eventually take its' toll and I'd prefer to see us focusing all our attention over the next few weeks on the 21s.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭squareball1988

dog_pig wrote:
    Anyone see what happened for the penalty?

McElhinney pushed Hughes over.

Not convinced draw is a bad thing. Leaves us with plenty of work to do, doubts in the boys heads about their ability to close out tight games too, and teach us defending three points won't work especially with that wide count.

A win would have left things a bit too positive - and I'm sure they wouldn't sit well with any of us.

A positive league campaign with, surprise surprise, only shooting to work on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

While it would have been nice to keep that lot in their place in the greater scheme of things it's probably not a bad result for us. If we had won we were in all probability in the league final while may have been a step too far this early in the season for such a young team. It means if the 21s win on Wednesday the focus should championship rather than a league game with Dublin. Trying to double up will eventually take its' toll and I'd prefer to see us focusing all our attention over the next few weeks on the 21s.
    Not convinced draw is a bad thing. Leaves us with plenty of work to do, doubts in the boys heads about their ability to close out tight games too, and teach us defending three points won't work especially with that wide count.

A win would have left things a bit too positive - and I'm sure they wouldn't sit well with any of us.

A positive league campaign with, surprise surprise, only shooting to work on.

Aye. Both good posts tbh.

It's been an interesting league across the board. The Jacks in clones next week. Wouldn't it be interesting (Martin) to see a novel pairing in the final. Apart from tyrone, obviously!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

Aye. Both good posts tbh.

It's been an interesting league across the board. The Jacks in clones next week. Wouldn't it be interesting (Martin) to see a novel pairing in the final. Apart from tyrone, obviously!
    Just looked at the fixtures, even if we lose to Mayo there's a good chance we will be in the final

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭LilNiall

Any truth Donegal are booked for New York the weekend of the league final? Surely not. With no semi finals surely that shoulda been held off another week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭Brego888

Just looked at the fixtures, even if we lose to Mayo there's a good chance we will be in the final

Yeah Dubs will surely win and narrow wins for Mayo and Kerry against Tyrone will still see Donegal in the final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,223 ✭✭✭overshoot

LilNiall wrote: »
    Any truth Donegal are booked for New York the weekend of the league final? Surely not. With no semi finals surely that shoulda been held off another week.

League final is the 9th, the 2 NY games are pencilled in for the 13th & 15th according to the democrat

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭jjdonegal

overshoot wrote: »
    League final is the 9th, the 2 NY games are pencilled in for the 13th & 15th according to the democrat

They are flying the 10th. Monaghan fans beside me today a pure disgrace. Right hand side of stands. Hope you are on here lads and justify the abuse you gave Ryan when he down injured especially considering the respect the whole ground showed McAnespie when he was being brought off. Scum that have no place in a GAA ground.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

McElhinney pushed Hughes over.

And that's a penalty? Disgraceful. Either one of them deserves more than a push.

Wasn't there, listened a bit on Highland, caught some on the stream.

The result itself doesn't really matter to me but **** it after last year in Castleblayney we shouldn't be letting them back into another game.

I guess it's a good think that the likes of Mulligan and Gillespie got some game time and hopefully none of the other U21s have picked up anything that will affect them on Wednesday night.

Also the return of Lacey who looked sharp but I am still dubious about what he can contribute this year but will be happy to be wrong.

I believe Carroll took his goal very well which is great to see as he had missed some good chances this year.

Sounds like Neil McGee had one of those days. I hope it was just that and McCarron isn't going to a permanent issue for him. Fair enough, seems like Paddy did a decent job (again) on McManus but that won't always be the case IMHO.

3 points from play for Michael against Monaghan? Easy knowing Corey didn't start but the tables began to turn last summer.

Hopefully Ryan doesn't miss too much time.

Longer term, I wonder if I want to see Eoin McHugh starting against the likes of Tyrone or Monaghan this summer.

I don't think we need to worry about League Finals.

jjdonegal wrote: »
    They are flying the 10th. Monaghan fans beside me today a pure disgrace. Right hand side of stands. Hope you are on here lads and justify the abuse you gave Ryan when he down injured especially considering the respect the whole ground showed McAnespie when he was being brought off. Scum that have no place in a GAA ground.

Wouldn't mind a league final. For a good few it will be the first senior game in Croke Park and probably a bigger crowd than many have played in front of before. Don't buy the theory getting beat by the Dubs will knock them back. Would be nice to win but even a final defeat is no disaster. Plenty of time til the Ulster Championship.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,963 ✭✭✭doc_17

Derry 2014 and Cork 2015 suffered heavy defeats in the league final and then struggled in the championship if I recall. Not sure if that matters though. I'd like to see us playing Dublin in the final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭Ollieboy

doc_17 wrote: »
    Derry 2014 and Cork 2015 suffered heavy defeats in the league final and then struggled in the championship if I recall. Not sure if that matters though. I'd like to see us playing Dublin in the final.

100% agree. At this stage we are 2 games away from winning a National League title and the confidence that would give the lads would be massive but it would also create a lot of doubt about Dublin or it might make Dublin work harder which could be a bad thing come August. It would also give fans a vote of confidence in Rory. When you get the chance to win something you have to take it at any level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,376 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Add Mayo in 2010 to that list.

That Cork team in particular I think had reached the end of the road. With Derry I dont think they were good enough. Give them a rattle in a one off final. Will hugely benifit the younger players I think.

Id be more worried about them playing in a quarter final in Croke Park for the first time against a Mayo, Kildare, Galway or Cork.

I reckon the Dubs would prefer to avoid us & Tyrone too. If we manage to give them a scare or lift a league title-Great!!

Probably more important than anything else though-any news on Ryan McHugh?

I fancy a rattle at the league I think. Wouldn't normally be fussed but if it's a straight final and a run in Croke Park for the newer lads then why not.

It's in our own hands at least.

Even if they were to get beat by the dubs lets say, I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing in the circumstances. Would focus the minds abit.

It's going to be an interesting final day anyway! If Dublin and Kerry win then we go through anyway even if we lose to Mayo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭rrs

An U21 Ulster and maybe All Ireland should be the focus and aim for the younger Donegal players, instead of a possible hammering in the League final.

Agree the U21s is very important. Hopefully get through Wednesday with a win & everyone fit. I'd be dissapointed if we dont now get the Ulster U21 title.

No reason to forego 2 possible league games though imo. Assuming we can take care of Antrim at home, and if we cant we may forget about the season anyway, the Ulster Semi is not til mid June. Prior years leagues with semi finals and earlty starts to the championship with Tyrone in prelimiary rounds rightly meant the end of the league was not a priority.

Getting beat by Kerry on matchday one did this team no harm and I sure as hell hope the other teams gameplan is simply hoping to catch Dublin on an off day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

Given most of us on here felt avoiding relegation was the goal in the league this year, it does seem a bit greedy now looking to make a league final! :D But we're here now, in with a decent shout, so why not go for it.
    That said, I would agree with those who say U21 is the priority, it really is one I'd love to see us win and this year we have a real shout. However Rory doesn't seem to see it that way and no doubt he will keep picking the lads for the league so I just hope that doesn't impact on our chances in the U21.

Ceist_Beag wrote: »
    Given most of us on here felt avoiding relegation was the goal in the league this year, it does seem a bit greedy now looking to make a league final! :D But we're here now, in with a decent shout, so why not go for it.
    That said, I would agree with those who say U21 is the priority, it really is one I'd love to see us win and this year we have a real shout. However Rory doesn't seem to see it that way and no doubt he will keep picking the lads for the league so I just hope that doesn't impact on our chances in the U21.

Ulster final is before the league final. They're in NYC then so can't see it impacting the AI run (should they get that far).

But look, a lot of variables. May not even have an Ulster/League final to worry about in a few days!

Any word on Ryan McHugh?

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭jjdonegal

U21 game postponed.

Both semi finals off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭henke

Any word on Ryan McHugh?
    http://www.highlandradio.com/2017/03/29/ryan-mchugh-to-be-back-in-three-or-four-weeks/

Three to four weeks so should be all set by the time Championship comes around which is the most important thing.

Fine day for it in Castlebar. Pity our wains have vuvezelas. Jason McGee back in action.

• Advertisement

Looking good at half time mind you Cormac Reilly has kicked a lot of wides for Mayo

Advertisement