Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Donegal GAA Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭harpsman

Monaghan 5 up now. McCarron. Class act. Long way to go but a Div 1 final would really spice up the Monaghan rivalry.

No way of strwamin the Donegal game? Legally, of course?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Stupid red card. We will lose this now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭harpsman

Usual **** discipline and inability to see a game out. Not too bothered re league final but get the feeling it will be the same come Summer. Manager has to take responsibility

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

That was shambolic and there is no excuse for the way we collapsed. That comes from the line and he was too animated to calm it. Pathetic from Doherty.

All in all a promising league and we'll learn a lot from today.

I pray we get a go at Mayo in the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭dog_pig

Can anyone who was at it describe what went on after O'Shea came on?

In relation to all the yellows I mean.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭eddie73

I have to agree with previous poster about throwing game away despite having the wind. There is a trend in Donegal football over the past 6 years to play defensively no mater what. This is not an option any more. I think that if you look at our record in these situations, we seem to get great starts, go in at half time in fairly good shape and then hope to fall over the line with the ball in the 2nd half. The ulster final last year is a case and example of this. I think we are lucky and unlucky not to be in the league final. We will not get away with this sort of negative football against the better sides. Paddy McBrearty has been disappointing this year. Lacey starting is a disaster waiting to happen. We have better men now. Why not play them?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

harpsman wrote: »
    Usual **** discipline and inability to see a game out. Not too bothered re league final but get the feeling it will be the same come Summer. Manager has to take responsibility

TBH I think same cost you the game,I really think you would have probably have seen the game out otherwise.Up until the fracas breaking out I could only see one winner.I thought Donegal were very impressive until then and have had a very good league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

I'm not too bothered at losing out on a league final but I'm annoyed at the manner of our loss. Yet again we failed to close out a game we were in control of and once more discipline was a major factor in the defeat. We have already been fined twice over poor discipline in this campaign and we are now looking at a third fine which says a lot about how easily we lose our focus.
    I have long had reservations about our goalkeeper but today we inexcusable. Despite the occasional flash of brilliance he fails on a regular basis to do the basics well. I fail to understand why Michael Boyle hasn't been given an opportunity.
    The sending off was sheer stupidity, allowing O'Shea the opportunity to roll around like he had been shot. O'Shea has just been booked and having fouled Doherty if Doherty had kept his discipline Reilly would have had a decision to make. Instead it was made easy for him.
    The same failings as the Ulster final resurfaced again today. We were in control and instead of pushing on we retreated back into our shell and got the result we deserved. A disappointing end to a decent league campaign.
    The fact that Gillespie failed to play was worrying with an important game on Wednesday night. It wasn't as if Rory was protecting him for the u21 team.
    On a completely different note it was astonishing to see Mayo fielding a player who was clearly concussed last week. Player welfare is far more important than a game of football.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭squareball1988

Reflecting on the league now that the anger from yesterday has dissipated.

TL;Dr: I'm positive about our chances in Ulster this year.

---

1 We're a far better team than we all probably thought we were in January. The initial goal for me for the league was to avoid relegation and some of us are probably gutted not to have made the final. I'm personally quite happy we didn't make the final as without a de facto forward line and no Ryan McHugh that match was only going to to go one way. Thompson, Mulligan, Brennan have slotted in seamlessly too. MAMG is pure mental.

2 We finished 3rd on the table, 3rd highest scorers and 3rd lowest concession - keeping in mind we played Roscommon and Cavan when both teams still had something to play for and had 5 away matches (wink wink). Although we didn't beat anyone we weren't expected to beat, given how mad the league was I believe 3rd is a true reflection of where we are at going into summer.

3 I'm confident of getting to an Ulster Final. However I worry that beating Tyrone and Monaghan in the same year can only happen if we play like we did v Mayo and Tyrone in the first halves of both matches. I think I'm correction in thinking since 2011 when Donegal, Tyrone and Monaghan have been winning titles no team has beat both of the others on their way to winning Ulster. So it's a massive ask. I'd also like to know what our forward line is.

4 Gillespie and McGrath are two tight bucks. Neil McGee, imo, has had a poor league. But that's still a decent back line.

5 Sideline needs to calm down

6 Murphy playing and largely staying in midfield is brilliant. He's been a serious engine for us. And has done really well to keep his calm when being targeted by opposition"players"

7 Tactics: Still don't know what type of team we are. We've seen the good the bad and the ugly. And we need a nice combo of good and ugly to win Ulster. Nothing from the sideline suggests Rory has learned anything since last year's Ulster Final.

8 Maxi is looking lean.

Not a good way to finish the last two games. Discipline a big problem - two penalties conceded and if it wasn't for the back chat resulting in frees being moved forward I doubt Cillian O'Connor would have been able to hit a barn door.

Sending off was stupid, even if it's not like that particular Mayo player to engage in simulation to con a referee. Good craic listening to the moaning and whining about the ref coming out during the first half.

I suppose I am happy enough with the league overall. Got a few more points than I expected and the younger players (who the manager had no choice but to play) have shown well. We certainly don't lack for players with the confidence and the ability to take a shot, but the question is will we create enough opportunities. I was amazed we took as many as 8 shots in the 2nd half on Saturday, it seemed like we took less. I am not sure if we are in a better place than we were last summer but am happy enough that Tyrone are no better than they were - the ceiling is low for thst team and hopefully we are ready for them on 18 June.

I think Ciaran Thompson, Eoin Ban Gallagher and Jamie Brennan are good additions. If they can carry their form into the Championship then it's a huge positive.

Jason McGee got better the more I saw him but he still seems to be caught cold at times. Hopefully he continues to improve. He's not afraid to get stuck in and you have to remember that he's only 19 so has time on his side.

Cian Mulligan scored some lovely points on Sunday but I need to see more of him at this level. Another small player.

Not sure on Caolan Ward. Strong and athletic which is welcome but not sure he is worthy of a place in the half back line yet and don't think he is suited to play deeper.

Not sure about Paul Brennan either. Discipline a problem there for sure.

Carroll? I have to admit that games seem to pass him by. Either I am missing something or he isn't doing much.

Eoin McHugh has been a disappointment. Too many turnovers.

Hugh McFadden has been tried at full forward and results have been mixed at best. It's not like we have given him much to work with but he hasn't done much with the very limited opportunities either.

Lacey looked OK on Sunday. Still not sure what his role will be. Needs a haircut.

Worrying that Gillespie was injured in the warm up. Hopefully he is OK for tomorrow night but we need him for the summer too.

Surprised/disappointed that Langan and Stephen McBrearty haven't got more game time but there is only so many changes we can make I guess.

Would be good if Paddy McBrearty could develop a right foot. Think he could struggle this summer with the way we are playing.

Would be good to see the U21s win again tomorrow night. At least the Ulster Council have brought the Final forward to Monday night which will give whoever wins more of a shout when facing the Dubs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

Don't want to put the jinx on them but the lads are flying against Cavan. 8 points up after 24 minutes. Only downer is Gillespie out again with hamstring so hopefully this doesn't become an issue for him over the coming weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

Game over, a lovely move for the last goal, 14 points up now

Maybe Cavan are not up to much but that's still a serious score to be putting up after 45 minutes of football!

Sounded like great stuff on Northern Sound. Shame on the Tyrone loving Highland for their efforts at coverage.

Derry v Armagh gone to extra time.

We should toss a coin for home advantage. Don't go to that sinkhole in Omagh.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,213 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Full time. Armagh 1 - 15 Derry 0 - 21

Hope Conor Glass can't get a flight...

Redsoxfan wrote: »

He's sickeningly ginger.

No offence to our copper topped brethren.

They are probably hoping after our last two games quite a few of ours miss the bus.
    It would be handy to have Gillespie around all the same.
    I hope Stephen Mc Brearty is ok for Monday.
    Sounds as if he hit a few beauts before having to go off with a foot injury.

We should toss a coin for home advantage. Don't go to that sinkhole in Omagh.

Coin toss was offered by Donegal and rejected by Derry. Final is now going to be played in Armagh! :confused: How on earth is that a logical venue given the two counties involved?

Ridiculous carry on.

Offer to play it in Celtic Park and beat them anyway.

• Advertisement

Ceist_Beag wrote: »
    Coin toss was offered by Donegal and rejected by Derry. Final is now going to be played in Armagh! :confused: How on earth is that a logical venue given the two counties involved?

I can understand why neither Donegal or Derry would be happy with that hole in Omagh, but Armagh is just nuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭bob skunkhouse

Aaaaaannnd...not content with forcing people to drive the extra distance to Armagh, they've doubled the price of the tickets too! Sometimes the GAA are just asses!

Derry running scared. No bother.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,289 ✭✭✭tanko

If Donegal win Ulster final, the all Ireland semi final against Dublin will be in Breffni park. Will be in Armagh if Derry win.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭rrs

Aaaaaannnd...not content with forcing people to drive the extra distance to Armagh, they've doubled the price of the tickets too! Sometimes the GAA are just asses!

Ulster council based in Armagh. Logistics mean nothing to them.

tanko wrote: »
    If Donegal win Ulster final, the all Ireland semi final against Dublin will be in Breffni park. Will be in Armagh if Derry win.

I've got very high hopes.

It's a long wait till Monday. Just hope they do themselves justice. Will be devastated if we don't get over the line.

Rumours that Gillespie is out for the rest of the 21s campaign. Massive loss if true.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Alvin Holler

Rumours that Gillespie is out for the rest of the 21s campaign. Massive loss if true.

Isn't it a hamstring injury? Usually more than a month to recover. Probably our best player, we've a good squad but some players are irreplaceable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Is the game being streamed on TG4 ?

• Advertisement

Stoner wrote: »
    Is the game being streamed on TG4 ?
    It is,yeah.

Advertisement