Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Donegal GAA Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 165 ✭✭MactheKnife90

Was just thinking a very quiet build up here to the championship what's the thoughts.? I think myself a very hard Ulster win and a lame semi final exit but at least that way we keep #roryin 😂

My thoughts; Maxi Curran better stay off the bloody pitch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 422 ✭✭The Assistinator

My thoughts; Maxi Curran better stay off the bloody pitch.
    We would be better off sending maxi of for the hols on 20 th

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Well, at least the U21s can say they were beaten by the best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Redsoxfan wrote:
    Well, at least the U21s can say they were beaten by the best.

For the moment....

Did you not hear about the Kerry minor teams?

Stoner wrote:
    Did you not hear about the Kerry minor teams?

Yerra.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,963 ✭✭✭doc_17

Club championship this week. Wonder did many of the county panel play for their clubs at the weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 15,213 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Senior ladies were unlucky losing to Cork by a point.

This may sound sour grapes but for me the ref did them no favours.

That said, they probably should have ran the ball more in the second half than playing in long ball.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

charlie14 wrote: »
    Senior ladies were unlucky losing to Cork by a point.

This may sound sour grapes but for me the ref did them no favours.

That said, they probably should have ran the ball more in the second half than playing in long ball.

Definitely got two calls that I saw wrong, 1 for Cork where Cotter was going through and he deemed her charging, and 1 for Donegal where he gave a free even though Duggan I think had lost control of the ball, but the yellow was definitely right - he had spoken to her about five mins previously saying that she had committed two fouls and that he was taking her name. They started playing in the long ball in the second half with only two or three forwards up there with five Cork backs, and they did win some, but not as many. Worked really well for them when they played Cork in the round robin stage, which I was at, but didn't work today as well. What the Donegal physio was doing trying to strap up Keeney's knee and leave her on I don't know - she went down again within seconds.

McLaughin and McGonagle were very dangerous even double marked. Centre forward Hegarty played extremely well in the second half, nicely taken goal. Donegal should have won it, three or four very poor wides in the second half, but the heat was a big factor in affecting the energy levels. No one will want to meet them in this year's championship - to win division 2 last year and get to the division 1 final this year is a huge achievement when you put it in perspective. Come a long way from 5 years ago where Cork hammered them 8-27 to 0-2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Great game. Donegal missed a pile of chances. That was the difference. That number 15 is some player. Be serious challengers in the championship.

Have to say it was one of best games I've seen in long time. Some pace and overall skill other than the point taking.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Bonniedog wrote: »
    Great game. Donegal missed a pile of chances. That was the difference. That number 15 is some player. Be serious challengers in the championship.

Have to say it was one of best games I've seen in long time. Some pace and overall skill other than the point taking.

If McLaughlin or McGonagle keep those performances up, one of them must win player of the year.

• Advertisement

If McLaughlin or McGonagle keep those performances up, one of them must win player of the year.

McGonagle was 15? Was just thinking she must already be dead cert for All Star at least. Fair play to Cork though. sign of experienced team that they win games where they seem to be on back foot.

Not being sexist, but womens game has improved immeasurably over last 10/15 years. Was a time it was barely watchable. That game today was as good as any men's game I've seen in quite a while.

Definitely got two calls that I saw wrong, 1 for Cork where Cotter was going through and he deemed her charging, and 1 for Donegal where he gave a free even though Duggan I think had lost control of the ball, but the yellow was definitely right - he had spoken to her about five mins previously saying that she had committed two fouls and that he was taking her name. They started playing in the long ball in the second half with only two or three forwards up there with five Cork backs, and they did win some, but not as many. Worked really well for them when they played Cork in the round robin stage, which I was at, but didn't work today as well. What the Donegal physio was doing trying to strap up Keeney's knee and leave her on I don't know - she went down again within seconds.

McLaughin and McGonagle were very dangerous even double marked. Centre forward Hegarty played extremely well in the second half, nicely taken goal. Donegal should have won it, three or four very poor wides in the second half, but the heat was a big factor in affecting the energy levels. No one will want to meet them in this year's championship - to win division 2 last year and get to the division 1 final this year is a huge achievement when you put it in perspective. Come a long way from 5 years ago where Cork hammered them 8-27 to 0-2

Strapping up Kate Keeney was daft. It was clear she was gone. I thought the ref missed the incident with the Donegal full back right before Cork`s first goal.Should have given a free out imho. He gave them for less later on.
    Great game of football though but there was hay to be made if Donegal had carried the ball more in the second half when the two inside girls were being double marked. Hegarty`s goal showed that and I thought they would have continued with it rather than reverting to the long ball. A few bad wides didnt help either.
    Bit of inexperience showed and probably missed their chance of silverware this year with Cork having a few old hands being back for the champioship.
    Donegal should be looking at a few all stars year end though.

Bonniedog wrote: »
    McGonagle was 15? Was just thinking she must already be dead cert for All Star at least. Fair play to Cork though. sign of experienced team that they win games where they seem to be on back foot.

Not being sexist, but womens game has improved immeasurably over last 10/15 years. Was a time it was barely watchable. That game today was as good as any men's game I've seen in quite a while.

Yeah, but the All Stars are pretty much picked from the All Ireland QF onwards. Ulster title well within their grasp this year. For a lot of Cork girls it was their first NFL final as well, but having won so much underage and u21 helped hugely

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

Are they in the senior championship now these women?

Are they in the senior championship now these women?

They play Armagh in semi final. Should win that. Then Cavan or Monaghan in final. They be decent bet I would say but not seen any prices yet.

Just checked again. Donegal are 15/2. Decent bet at 1/3 of the odds to reach final but confess that how draw might work out is mystery to me!

If they avoid Cork before final I'd fancy them to beat anyone else including Dublin.

Bonniedog wrote:
    If they avoid Cork before final I'd fancy them to beat anyone else including Dublin.

I agree they are the new Monaghan of 2014 and last year's Tyrone.

Messing aside they are potentially in great shape

No surprise Stephen McBrearty is gone. Got very little game time and Carroll and Eoin McHugh clearly ahead of him. Haven't really seen enough of him to decide if he is a loss to the squad. Given he wasn't used, probably not.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

Agreed RSF, good luck to the lad, might make a few quid for himself but based on the fact he wasn't used all that much and he didn't really shine in the U21 team I don't think it's a loss to the squad for the summer.

You'd be daft not to go to the states for the summer in his situation.

Plenty of time for Donegal down the line for him. Handy job, good weather, relaxed enough football, plenty of beer and women hanging off you.

Should be mandatory in fact.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 165 ✭✭MactheKnife90

You'd be daft not to go to the states for the summer in his situation.

Plenty of time for Donegal down the line for him. Handy job, good weather, relaxed enough football, plenty of beer and women hanging off you.

Should be mandatory in fact.

Dead right Nidge.

Under a different manager.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Alvin Holler

You'd hardly know it's championship on Sunday around here, hard to get too excited against Antrim at home. After a promising league campaign, I'm looking forward to seeing how we can get on this year. It's hard to see us beating both Tyrone and Monaghan with the amount of new players but if McGrath, McGee, McHugh, Murphy and McBrearty can hit top form then we'll have a good summer.

Hard to know what the team will be on Sunday, it's a shame Gillespie is out, don't think that Doherty or Brennan would have made the team. I'll hazard a guess that this will be the team on Sunday:

McGinley
    McGrath
    Neil
    EBG
    Ryan
    Ward
    Reilly
    Murphy
    Jason McGee
    Frank
    Carroll
    Thompson
    McBrearty
    Brennan
    Eoin McHugh

With Lacey, McElhinney, McFadden, Mulligan and Langan as the subs. Not too bad a team and subs, as per usual we have about 15 half backs and half forwards, we're probably lacking another top class full forward to play alongside Paddy. Now if only we could find one;)

Zzzz

Anyway, numbers for tomorrow

1 McGinley
    2 McGrath
    3 N McGee
    4 EB Gallagher
    5 O'Reilly
    6 McGlynn
    7 Ward
    8 J McGee
    9 C Thompson
    10 Carroll
    11 H McFadden
    12 R McHugh
    13 P McBrearty
    14 Murphy
    15 J Brennan
    16 P Boyle
    17 Lacey
    18 E McHugh
    19 Mulligan
    20 McCole
    21 McElhinney
    22 M McHugh
    23 Langan
    24 Jigger
    25 McCormick
    26 Morrison

Redsoxfan wrote: »
    Zzzz

1 McGinley
    2 McGrath
    3 N McGee
    4 EB Gallagher
    5 O'Reilly
    6 McGlynn
    7 Ward
    8 J McGee
    9 C Thompson
    10 Carroll
    11 H McFadden
    12 R McHugh
    13 P McBrearty
    14 Murphy
    15 J Brennan
    16 P Boyle
    17 Lacey
    18 E McHugh
    19 Mulligan
    20 McCole
    21 McElhinney
    22 M McHugh
    23 Langan
    24 Jigger
    25 McCormick
    26 Morrison

If we cannot beat an Antrim team comprehensively that have been abysmal in the league at home with that panel then there is something seriously wrong.
    Saying that, it still doesn`t stop me being edgy all the same.:o

God I can't wait.

Championship eve, always get a tinge of excitement. Look we should have too much for Antrim. Match them for effort and we'll beat them.

We never took the eye of the ball under Jim when playing lesser teams, I don't recall us doing it under Rory. Tomorrow is a good opportunity for us to get motoring now and get lads up to speed in Championship.

A fair few debutants. What must they be thinking tonight, championship football for your county - and at home. Great stuff.

Look we should have too much for Antrim

That's a Munster one.

Look at the end of the day , you're better off sticking to the "dead ons" and the odd "Hi'" Nidge. I've a little voice in my head for most users and you're killing it.

I often wondered if TTM ( thinks too much) would match up.

Can't see any surprises tomorrow. Maybe its worthwhile for some of your new players to get a championship game in.

Seems a header is out for them for months anyway, pity as it would have helped!

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Alvin Holler

Redsoxfan wrote: »
    Zzzz

1 McGinley
    2 McGrath
    3 N McGee
    4 EB Gallagher
    5 O'Reilly
    6 McGlynn
    7 Ward
    8 J McGee
    9 C Thompson
    10 Carroll
    11 H McFadden
    12 R McHugh
    13 P McBrearty
    14 Murphy
    15 J Brennan
    16 P Boyle
    17 Lacey
    18 E McHugh
    19 Mulligan
    20 McCole
    21 McElhinney
    22 M McHugh
    23 Langan
    24 Jigger
    25 McCormick
    26 Morrison

Ah, a Hugh McFadden away from predicting the correct team.

I'd expect Antrim to be defensive and well organised and there not to be too much in it at half time with us to pull away in the second half.

Interesting that McCormick is on the bench despite not making the 21 panel this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 pmcb

Is the donegal game streamed live @ 4pm by any chance? (facebook/youtube) I know there is deferred coverage on BBC 2 @ 7.

• Advertisement

Bad start to the day with the minors.

Advertisement