Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Donegal GAA Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭Brego888

pmcb wrote: »
    Is the donegal game streamed live @ 4pm by any chance? (facebook/youtube) I know there is deferred coverage on BBC 2 @ 7.

Would also like to know this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

Brego888 wrote: »
    Would also like to know this

I've resigned myself to Highland radio here. The top link for a stream on google is on a website called Kurdishprogress.com, so think I'll give that one a miss.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭Brego888

How bad were Antrim?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭harpsman

Stoner wrote: »
    That's a Munster one.

Look at the end of the day , you're better off sticking to the "dead ons" and the odd "Hi'" Nidge. I've a little voice in my head for most users and you're killing it.

I often wondered if TTM ( thinks too much) would match up.

Can't see any surprises tomorrow. Maybe its worthwhile for some of your new players to get a championship game in.

Seems a header is out for them for months anyway, pity as it would have helped!

Com'ere that's just a lazy stereotype, as Michael would say.

pmcb wrote: »
    Is the donegal game streamed live @ 4pm by any chance? (facebook/youtube) I know there is deferred coverage on BBC 2 @ 7.

Wtf is the point of BBC showing the full game 3 hours later. Surely they could put Songs of Praise back an hour and nobody would be that 😭

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

Paddy McGrath has kicked 1-1 in the last 2 games in a Ballybofey.

Is this the end of days :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,213 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Handy enough in the end, and while you might feel sorry for Antrim getting a drubbing like that, it was good to see us turning the screw when we got on top.
    That diagonal ball into the corners botheedr us for a while, so hopefully Gallagher will have noticed. I`m sure others have.
    Anyone know what the story was with Paddy Mc Brearty not starting ?
    He didn`t look to be carrying an injury when he came in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 748 ✭✭✭boxer.fan

charlie14 wrote: »
    Anyone know what the story was with Paddy Mc Brearty not starting ?
    He didn`t look to be carrying an injury when he came in.

I wouldn't read too much into it. With all the messing about with substitutions in last year's championship it would only baffle the mind to try figure it out.

A decent enough test for the boys in the first half. Plenty to be concerned about though, but I don't want to be giving out just yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭North of 32

There were some very disappointing defensive moments. The inadequacy of our response to the diagonal ball was disappointing. Division 1 teams would have buried those chances (Paul Geaney, 2014; Aidan O'Shea 2015). There were also instances where the defense was overly focused on tracking back into space while leaving the player in possession entirely unchallenged (this was rampant vs Cork 2016). Again, this is something that division 1 sides will capitalise on with their higher quality forwards.

On offense there were some real efforts to get across the defender while attacking. This was refreshing compared to last year's constant turning back. We'll see if this continues against Tyrone/Derry. The offensive runs in general seemed altogether more incisive at times (though not consistently). It looked like coaching/training efforts were showing through but only the semi final will reveal anything worthwhile.

I was very pleased to see Lacey come on and get a score. If he can sustain a level of fitness there's no reason he can't make a valuable contribution.

Paddy 'Cúl' McGrath.

Seeing Michael Murphy fit is joyous but **** me he couldn't tackle to save his life. It's dangerously careless at times. He picked up a yellow when the game was utterly over. I'm beginning to fear he might be liable to get sent off in the heat of a deep championship battle (see dumb ''tackle'' on Brian Fenton in last year's QF). Then again, nobody's perfect but Murphy is close.

Ciaran Thompson's scoring ability will be important to any Donegal success. Jason McGee always seems like he has a score about him as well, in addition to his other qualities.

The range of forward personnel is interesting and suggests there's potential for options we've really never had before. 2011/2012/2014 pretty much just relied on McFadden and Murphy. Now there's McBrearty, Jigger, Brennan, Michael Langan, Eoin McHugh among others. While none of them come close to McFadden 2012, the range of options could help to make up for the lack of a singularly devastating forward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Good post.

Look, 3-19 is good going. And a lot of Championship debuts today. Brennan took his goal very well. Jason McGee worked hard. Hope Michael Murphy enjoyed himself today, he will not have the same freedom on 18 June.

But there was a lot to worry about. The goal chances Antrim had in the first half were much more clear cut than I had thought at the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

Great start to the championship and good to be up and running. There were plenty of positives from yesterday but it has to be said that Antrim, especially once the first goal went in, were absolute muck. I think the only thing Rory will have really learned from that is who will have questions to answer as a number of players were anonymous yesterday, despite our domination.
    I'd agree with everything North of 32 said although I wouldn't quite share his optimism on our range of forwards. Jigger has a lot to prove to be considered a viable option for the championship as he hasn't really shown anything since coming back from injury - hopefully we can show the form of his debut year again but right now it's not there. Brennan & Thompson are both growing in confidence all the time and are certain starters for the semi and Ryan and McBrearty will obviously be in there but after that there aren't any you could say for certain are putting their hand up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

Paddy McGrath has kicked 1-1 in the last 2 games in a Ballybofey.

Is this the end of days :eek:
    Paddy's finish for the goal was hilarious. When you think about the clinical nature of the other two goals Paddy's more resembled a rugby forward battering his way over the line.

Paddy's finish for the goal was hilarious. When you think about the clinical nature of the other two goals Paddy's more resembled a rugby forward battering his way over the line.

Aye but did he give a ****e? :P Like a the cat that got the cream he was! :D

Anyone know why Luke Keaney hasn't been involved in squads? Did he drop out or is he just not getting on picked? Thought he looked a good prospect.

Sure, the way he kicked it in wasn't pretty but i thought the way he stepped around the goalkeeper and defender showed a bit of composure- although maybe that was pure blind luck :D

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Alvin Holler

Redsoxfan wrote: »
    Anyone know why Luke Keaney hasn't been involved in squads? Did he drop out or is he just not getting on picked? Thought he looked a good prospect.

He played a bit in 2014, came on against derry in the championship but think he went off travelling then the next year. Don't think he's featured under Rory at all.

Never saw that much of him play but thought he looked more of a squad player than a starter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 307 ✭✭schizo1014

Hope I'm not speaking out off turn here but I think Luke is struggling with an injury at the minute. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

schizo1014 wrote: »
    Hope I'm not speaking out off turn here but I think Luke is struggling with an injury at the minute. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Not exactly sure myself but I have a feeling he picked up an injury playing in one of the latter league games this year.

charlie14 wrote:
    Not exactly sure myself but I have a feeling he picked up an injury playing in one of the latter league games this year.

This year? I don't recall him featuring at all. Or are you talking about Four Masters?

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭squareball1988

He went travelling - as far as I know came back to country mid-league which surely rules him out of playing any part this year. Did a fine job when called upon in league in 2013 and 2014.

• Advertisement

This year? I don't recall him featuring at all. Or are you talking about Four Masters?

No, not for Four Masters.
    A county televised game this year afair where he went of injured early on and I remember wondering was he was a son of Connie who played for Four Masters.

Not getting any younger mind you and there has been a bit of Alzheimer`s among the branches of the family tree.:confused:

He went travelling - as far as I know came back to country mid-league which surely rules him out of playing any part this year. Did a fine job when called upon in league in 2013 and 2014.

Aye, that's what I remember.

No, not for Four Masters.
    A county televised game this year afair where he went of injured early on and I remember wondering was he was a son of Connie who played for Four Masters.

Not getting any younger mind you and there has been a bit of Alzheimer`s among the branches of the family tree.:confused:

I had a look - no Luke Keaney featured in any game this year. The only blast from the past was Daniel McLaughlin who got a few minutes against Cavan.

I think we miss guys like Keaney and Declan Walsh who walked away while relatively young. Physical defenders. Aside from Neil McGee, we are lacking, especially in the full back line. Ward is good and big, but I don't know what to make of him as a defender. EB Gallagher and Marty O'Reilly are more attackers/ball carriers than anything.

I had a look - no Luke Keaney featured in any game this year. The only blast from the past was Daniel McLaughlin who got a few minutes against Cavan.

I think we miss guys like Keaney and Declan Walsh who walked away while relatively young. Physical defenders. Aside from Neil McGee, we are lacking, especially in the full back line. Ward is good and big, but I don't know what to make of him as a defender. EB Gallagher and Marty O'Reilly are more attackers/ball carriers than anything.

My mistake so.

Keaney is a good strong block of a lad and I was very sorry to see Declan Walsh go, but it looks as if he felt he was doing all the hard training grind putting his life on hold without much chance of a start or even coming off the bench.
    Leo Mc Loone is one other we could do with, giving us a bit of physicality around the middle. Even though at times he can be a bit headless and MacNiallais is a big loss as well.

Odhran is ripping it up for Gaoth Dobhair this year. Shame he stepped away as he certainly would give us a bit of height in the forwards. I'm not sure why he stepped away and I'm not even sure he really knows himself so maybe there's a chance he might be back this year.
    I can't see Leo coming back again under Rory.

Ceist_Beag wrote: »
    Odhran is ripping it up for Gaoth Dobhair this year. Shame he stepped away as he certainly would give us a bit of height in the forwards. I'm not sure why he stepped away and I'm not even sure he really knows himself so maybe there's a chance he might be back this year.
    I can't see Leo coming back again under Rory.

I had actually thought he had gone traveling until I saw reports of him, as you say, ripping it up for Gaoth Dobhair, so no idea either why he stepped away. At this stage I doubt if he will be back this year even if asked, and even if he was, how it would go down with the rest of the squad.
    Shame though, good height which we need and on his day a terror for any defender to keep tabs on.
    Like yourself I cannot see Leo coming back under Gallagher.
    Nor would I blame him after last year`s carry on.
    In fact we are luck that Glenties to a man didn`t walk in support.

I had actually thought he had gone traveling until I saw reports of him, as you say, ripping it up for Gaoth Dobhair, so no idea either why he stepped away. At this stage I doubt if he will be back this year even if asked, and even if he was, how it would go down with the rest of the squad.
    Shame though, good height which we need and on his day a terror for any defender to keep tabs on.
    Like yourself I cannot see Leo coming back under Gallagher.
    Nor would I blame him after last year`s carry on.
    In fact we are luck that Glenties to a man didn`t walk in support.
    I dont think you can be walking away "in support" of somebody who left the panel cos he wasnt getting picked. I completely understand Leos decision and would probably do the same myself, but would discourage others from damaging their own career over me. At the end of the day the manager is entitled to decide who plays and who doesnt, even if some of his decisions appear bizzare to the rest of us.

Heard Odhran going to the States for the Summer. Maybe only going in June. Hes a fairly "laid back" character so maybe just decided to take it easy for the year. Would be great to get him back though alright

harpsman wrote: »
    I dont think you can be walking away "in support" of somebody who left the panel cos he wasnt getting picked. I completely understand Leos decision and would probably do the same myself, but would discourage others from damaging their own career over me. At the end of the day the manager is entitled to decide who plays and who doesnt, even if some of his decisions appear bizzare to the rest of us.

Heard Odhran going to the States for the Summer. Maybe only going in June. Hes a fairly "laid back" character so maybe just decided to take it easy for the year. Would be great to get him back though alright

At times I have had the feeling that if Mac Naillais was any more laid back he would be horizontal, but that lad certainly has talent and it would be great to have him around. Especially for the next on.
    Still, no point in crying over spilled milk. It is what it is at this stage
    I get what you are saying about Leo, but it was more than a case of just not being picked last year. At times, it looked to me anyway, as if Gallagher was pushing him to walk rather than have an outcry if he cut him.
    I may be wrong here, but it seemed to me the type of carry-on that could get a lads club-mates seriously p***ed off.

charlie14 wrote:
    Leo Mc Loone is one other we could do with, giving us a bit of physicality around the middle. Even though at times he can be a bit headless and MacNiallais is a big loss as well.

Absolutely. McLoone probably a bigger loss than MacNiallais as C Thompson well able to swing a few over with his left.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Redsoxfan wrote:
    Absolutely. McLoone probably a bigger loss than MacNiallais as C Thompson well able to swing a few over with his left.

That's pony Redsoxfan and you know it !!!!! ;)

MacNiallais on his day can do nearly everything from a creative point of view including scoring goals.

Bit laid back though,

Advertisement