Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Donegal GAA Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Stoner wrote:
    That's pony Redsoxfan and you know it !!!!!

Horses for courses eh?

13 minutes gone in Celtic Park.

Donegal v Tyrone confirmed for 18 June in Clones.

Throw in time to be confirmed.

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭dog_pig

Redsoxfan wrote: »
    Absolutely. McLoone probably a bigger loss than MacNiallais as C Thompson well able to swing a few over with his left.

McLoone's for sure the bigger loss.

Probably Donegal's most underrated player in 2012 and was one of few who performed well in the 2014 final as well.

I'd hate to think we won't see him in a Donegal jersey again.

Redsoxfan wrote:
    Throw in time to be confirmed.

More fool me.

Was already down for 2pm on Ulster GAA site. Munster hurling at 4 and both games are being televised.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

Probably a bit too early but any word on the McGee and Murphy injuries from yesterday?

• Advertisement

Ceist_Beag wrote:
    Probably a bit too early but any word on the McGee and Murphy injuries from yesterday?

Not serious. Hacks were calling it a 'black day' yesterday. It was a league game FFS, if either sneezed they would have been taken off as a precaution...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Just read the Rte site say Murphy was stretchered off so was coming to ask what happened but apparently nothing much so.

Happy with that. Would much rather play ye with both sides at full strength to get a right game. Who doesn't want to go watch Murphy playing?

So, last Sunday.

No surprise at all, Ulster has gone to ****e outside of the obvious contenders.

Derry showed a real lack of street smarts o is both defence and attack allowing Tyrone to suckle at the teat of the cheap free too often in the first half while taking the wrong option in front of goal early in the second half, when the game seemed like it was still in the balance.

Despite scoring an impressive 22 points the Tyrone forward line wouldn't really worry you - I think they created one goal scoring chance all game and that fell to the defender that scored against Dublin. Not a concern.

What worries me is our discipline as even though the Tyrone free taking is abysmal, give them enough handy ones and they will be able to keep the scoreboard ticking over.

At the other end, noticeable in the second half how they managed to isolate Derry attackers and strip the ball. We enjoy those kind of runs all too often so it's a real concern.

Justin 'Cheap Suit' McMahon got the day off so will be well rested ahead of his task on 18 June.

So, didn't learn much from either game over the last two weeks. First to 10 wins.

So, last Sunday.

No surprise at all, Ulster has gone to ****e outside of the obvious contenders.

Derry showed a real lack of street smarts, allowing Tyrone to suckle ay

Was it ever much different to be honest? From 99 to 2010 it was only Armagh or Tyrone who were winning it. That was surely the least competitive time in the modern era, but because we were having good battles there wasn't as much complaining, at least not from within the province.

Since 2010...

Donegal x3
    Tyrone x2
    Monaghan x2

There's also been 4 different beaten finalists. 2008 was the last time there was a championship with very close games all the way through and no hammerings.

In the last 20 years there's been 6/9 different winners.For contrast you have to go back to 1992 since anyone other than Cork/Kerry won Munster. Kerry are going to win 5 in a row this year, In Leinster Dublin are going for 7 in a row and have won everything since 2005 apart from one that Meath won.

At least Connacht is a bit more competative than the other two with 4 winners in the last 10 years and Galway breaking Mayo's streak of 5 in a row last year.

The bottom line is, the first round games this year happened to be mismatches. Nothing at all is said down the country where Kerry are bloody seeded so they don't have to play anyone till the final.

The next 6 games could all be decent. Down vs Armagh, Cavan Vs Monaghan, Donegal vs Tyrone and the other semi and final. That's 6 good games potentially from 1 province.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,223 ✭✭✭overshoot

Jayop wrote: »
    Was it ever much different to be honest? From 99 to 2010 it was only Armagh or Tyrone who were winning it. That was surely the least competitive time in the modern era,

Since 2010...
    Donegal x3 Tyrone x2 Monaghan x2
    There's also been 4 different beaten finalists.

In fairness only Derry & Down have made the final outside of the 3 winners and that was 2011 & 12.
    In the noughties, every ulster team made the final at least once...
    The gap has definitely widened between the top and bottom. There was always a feeling of on their day any county could pull it off in the 00s. In general it only got you past Tyrone or Armagh. Dont quite have that now.

• Advertisement

overshoot wrote: »
    In fairness only Derry & Down have made the final outside of the 3 winners and that was 2011 & 12.
    In the noughties, every ulster team made the final at least once...
    The gap has definitely widened between the top and bottom. There was always a feeling of on their day any county could pull it off in the 00s. In general it only got you past Tyrone or Armagh. Dont quite have that now.

In the noughties 2 teams could win. Now three can. What's more important for a province being competitive? More teams having a chance to win the thing or more teams able to keep the score down.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭harpsman

Absolutely. McLoone probably a bigger loss than MacNiallais as C Thompson well able to swing a few over with his left.
    Nice of you to keep in touch Mrs McLoone:rolleyes:

harpsman wrote:
    Nice of you to keep in touch Mrs McLoone

Same to you Mrs R Gallagher.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,963 ✭✭✭doc_17

So it looks like the players are done with their clubs now? Weekend wasn't a star round but virtually all the players failed to line out for their clubs. I find that very disappointing.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,213 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

doc_17 wrote: »
    So it looks like the players are done with their clubs now? Weekend wasn't a star round but virtually all the players failed to line out for their clubs. I find that very disappointing.

I`d imagine the scare with Murphy didn`t help.

doc_17 wrote:

Anyone on the subs bench the last day played (or most of them seemed to).

GAA need to do something about the 'soft power' County mangers have over players. I don't know if Donegal is any better or worse than other Counties in this regard.

Tyrone players seemed to line out for their clubs at the weekend.

And rightly so. Pisses me off when county lads can't play a club game a fortnight before a county match. Like, surely the club game will by and large do more good than harm. Yes you run the risk of the odd injury, but getting lads fully up to championship pace would be the bigger advantage I'd have thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Murphy14

doc_17 wrote: »

It's disappointing alright crazy situation that's being allowed to develop county squad away at another training camp (were is the money coming from) club football is on its deathbed

Murphy14 wrote: »
    It's disappointing alright crazy situation that's being allowed to develop county squad away at another training camp (were is the money coming from) club football is on its deathbed

In all my time watching football I've yet to see a county manager who lost a game saying the loss was as a result of his players playing club games in the run up to the county game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,963 ✭✭✭doc_17

Jayop wrote: »
    In all my time watching football I've yet to see a county manager who lost a game saying the loss was as a result of his players playing club games in the run up to the county game.

McGuinness in 2013.

The number of postponed games in reserve football was brought up at county committee tonight. Not having the better players available for senior team had a knock on effect in terms of players available and general interest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Donegal v Dublin '92 on Classic GAA, on Eir Sports 1 now...for those of you who enjoy the odd trip down memory lane....and very short shorts. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

ProudDUB wrote:
    Donegal v Dublin '92 on Classic GAA, on Eir Sports 1 now...for those of you who enjoy the odd trip down memory lane....and very short shorts.

I was nearly physically sick after that game. I remember the old man saying "remember we are still Leinster championship" I couldn't have given a sh1t about the provincial at the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Yeah, I decided to post it here and not in the Dublin thread, lest I be told go fcuk myself. It's cranky enough over there as it is. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭harpsman

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Yeah, I decided to post it here and not in the Dublin thread, lest I be told go fcuk myself. It's cranky enough over there as it is. :(

Cheers. The biggest shock ever in an All Ireland? And the most popular with neutrals as well I'd say- no offence. Needless to say it was an unbelievable time for Donegal people home and abroad.
    Anyway you boys got over the line eventually
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=P6l9i6VuVKM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 641 ✭✭✭raiders11

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Donegal v Dublin '92 on Classic GAA, on Eir Sports 1 now...for those of you who enjoy the odd trip down memory lane....and very short shorts. :rolleyes:

The one and only time since then, that Donegal and Armagh fans were rejoicing together big time:D Mind you, how they lost that day, we will never know..

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Murphy14

The big game is approaching fast I for one am not confident (hopefully I am wrong) on a positive note Gillespie is supposed to be going well in training but would he start having played very little football this year and surely Paddy Mc Brearty starts also Eamon Doherty back available all in all a stronger squad. Roll on Sunday. Dun Na nGall Abu

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

My concern is about the sideline.

Mickey has had several weeks to prepare for this....

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭dog_pig

My concern is about the sideline.
    :eek:

Mickey has had several weeks to prepare for this....

He has been able to plan since the draw was made.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,213 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

He has been able to plan since the draw was made.

It would be comforting to believe we have been doing the same.

Then again......:eek:

Advertisement