Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Donegal GAA Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Firblog

My concern is about the sideline.

Mickey has had several weeks to prepare for this....
    Redsoxfan wrote: »
    He has been able to plan since the draw was made.

Did Rory just find out last week? :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

SUNDAY SUNDAY SUNDAY

Two teams fighting it out for the right to lose to Monaghan in the Ulster Final.

Tyrone have no free taker and nothing like a 'marquee forward'. Their strength is their running game and tenacious defence. Like Donegal used to be I guess, except we had the likes of Murphy, McFadden and the sometimes dependable McBrearty to worry the opposition. Nowadays, Murphy is a midfielder, McFadden is gone, and Paddy is, well, sometimes dependable. Was he dropped for the Antrim match? Maybe. It certainly seemed to have the desired effect as he contributed handsomely from the bench, but then again, it was Antrim.

As for our defence, well, it's now a case that while we still have lots of bodies back, it's nothing like it was. Antrim could have, nay, should have scored two goals in a very ropey first half, and a better team will surely punish us, if they want to have a go. Tyrone's goal scoring record is abysmal, with 2 goals on the final day against Kerry padding their stats somehwat after Aidan McCrory's well taken effort against Dublin. Although we didn't exactly burst the net ourselves with 5 in total. Anyway, goals aren't likely to feature much given that neither team managed one in the league game or last year's Ulster Final.

I suppose you could make the case that Donegal just went out and played without much thought to structure against Antrim on the basis that there was no real danger of losing. But that kind of tactic is more suited to the league, so yeah, I am very worried about our defence.

As to our attack, well, here's that complete spoofer McGuinness talking about our weakness:

Like Monaghan, Donegal are vulnerable if teams set up defensively because what they don’t have any more are the battering rams of old – Leo McLoone and Ryan Bradley and Anthony Thompson and Rory Kavanagh – who could just punch a hole in packed defences.

McLoone? Thompson! Pah, it's just because they are Glenties men! Surprised he didn't mention Marty Boyle as well!

But yeah, it all comes unstuck when we face a massed defence, and you can be sure Tyrone will bring that. I don't know that we have what it takes to beat a team that sets up to mirror us.

I think we can assume that Michael Murphy and Ryan McHugh will be 'well marked' on Sunday. Can we win without any significant contribution from both? The worry for me is that we will need to rely too much on the younger players. Jason McGee has gown into a Senior player but he's not the finished article at all yet. Micheal Carroll looks anonymous at Senior level (he looked very good at U21 so hopefully he will get better). Jamie Brennan has had a fine year and looks the most comfortable, but without any ball, he will have no influence. Eoin Ban Gallagher has looked decent, and we will need his running on Sunday. I wouldn't be surprised if Eoin McHugh starts ahead of Cian Mulligan. If he does, I hope he has learned that he needs to make better decisions when he is on the ball. Ciaran Thompson looks like he belongs, so hopefully he can chip in with 2 or 3 points. Caolan Ward gets on a lot of ball, but can he defend?

The likes of Paddy McGrath, Neil McGee and Frank McGlynn will need to have big games. If Paddy McBrearty starts, he will need to start well. Marty O'Reilly is a wildcard. Somedays you don't know what his role is, other times he can chip in with a few points, but no idea what we will see from him on Sunday.

The bench? Lacey, McElhinney....not sure if either will offer much. Mark McHugh will surely get a run. Who knows if Hugh McFadden will play at all for the rest of the year. Langan has great ability, but is he likely to be thrown in at the deep end in Clones on Sunday?

I think Tyrone have more players who can have a meaningful impact on the game and I think their come from behind win last year means something more than just the Ulster title - they broke the hoodoo Donegal had over them since 2011. I don't think the league game earlier this year was anyway meaningful to what we'll see on Sunday. I think Tyrone will win and I hope I am wrong.

On top of all that, a 2pm throw in after a Stag in Galway is likely to make it all seem worse on the day.

Firblog wrote: »
    Did Rory just find out last week? :eek:

If he was born knowing, would it make any difference?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Redsoxfan wrote:
    the right to lose to Monaghan in the Ulster Final.

Incidentally, the commentator on the game M Carney on Sunday reliability informed us that

" The thing about Cavan is, they are not afraid of Monaghan"

Have I missed something!

It's an interesting mix, I could see Monaghan beating Donegal, Donegal beating Tyrone and Tyrone beating Monaghan.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

Fully agree with what ye say RSF. It will be tight, tense and probably not very enjoyable but if we are to win we need our leaders to play well and chances are the benches will be important. I'm not as pessimistic as some of you, I think this is a real tough one to call. Tyrone are justifiably favourites but I give us a decent chance on Sunday. For me it depends on which trio comes out on top on the day. McGee, Murphy and Ryan for us, versus Cavanagh, Donnelly and Harte. If we come out top here I think we're in with a real shout.

• Advertisement

Stoner wrote:
    " The thing about Cavan is, they are not afraid of Monaghan"

Cavan aren't afraid of Monaghan
    Monaghan aren't afraid of Donegal
    Tyrone aren't afraid of Monaghan
    Everyone is afraid of Down
    Nobody is afraid of Antrim etc

Martin Carney is a dose and Mayo are welcome to him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 422 ✭✭The Assistinator

Jesus far to much pessimism in here for what reason I don't know I can't see nothing but a win on Sunday myself and as for Tyrone been favourites where has this come from if both teams play to there best Donegal come out on top all day.
    Monaghan are not Dublin either well beatable a little optimism need here me thinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

Martin Carney is a dose and Mayo are welcome to him.

Argha would you ever get off the fence lad and tell us what you think.

Argha would you ever get off the fence lad and tell us what you think.

RORY OUT

Here's the thing.

Is Eoin Ban Gallagher a better player at this stage in his career than Eamon McGee was last year?

Is Caolan Ward a better player at this stage in his career than Anthony Thompson was last year?

Is Jason McGee a better player at this stage in his career than Rory Kavanagh was last year?

I am on record that Ciaran Thompson isn't a fall off from Odhran MacNiallais.

Michael Carroll over Leo McLoone or Christy Toye?

I would take Jamie Brennan over Colm McFadden after 2014.

So I don't really see how we are better than last year. Younger and faster, yes. Maybe that will be enough. But even though I don't think Tyrone or Monaghan are that great, I think they are no worse than they were last year. Hey, if our younger players continue to develop and get the right coaching then we could have a few good years ahead, but I think this could be a bit early.

So that's the reason for the 'pessimism'. I'll gladly eat my words on Sunday evening and again on 22 July if we win!

• Advertisement

Anyway, Tyrone unchanged. McCarron and Justy on the bench. We'll see about that.

Here's the thing.

Is Eoin Ban Gallagher a better player at this stage in his career than Eamon McGee was last year?

Is Caolan Ward a better player at this stage in his career than Anthony Thompson was last year?

Is Jason McGee a better player at this stage in his career than Rory Kavanagh was last year?

I am on record that Ciaran Thompson isn't a fall off from Odhran MacNiallais.

Michael Carroll over Leo McLoone or Christy Toye?

I would take Jamie Brennan over Colm McFadden after 2014.

So I don't really see how we are better than last year. Younger and faster, yes. Maybe that will be enough. But even though I don't think Tyrone or Monaghan are that great, I think they are no worse than they were last year. Hey, if our younger players continue to develop and get the right coaching then we could have a few good years ahead, but I think this could be a bit early.

So that's the reason for the 'pessimism'. I'll gladly eat my words on Sunday evening and again on 22 July if we win!

I know it's hard to believe but I would take eoin ban over last years eamon
    Don't think the Leo comparisons work sure we didn't have him proper last year anyway
    And I also think kavanagh was a pale shadow of himself last year and should not have come back.
    The whole team lacked the bite and never seemed to believe in themselves last year after beating Monaghan maybe this came from management I don't know but it was obvious they where finished as a team.
    This group of players have a hunger about them that's been missing since September 2012 and I do believe they are onto something special and yes probably the wrong man to take them forward but I am more excited about this team than I have been since Jim left us

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,963 ✭✭✭doc_17

I thought their hunger was pretty good in 2014.

Two key things on Sunday to watch for. Will we go our usual 20-25 minutes in tight games without scoring? This theme has emerged since the Ulster final in 2015.

And the tackling. Last year we were very sloppy and undisciplined in tackling.

Those two things cost us at various stages last year. And if both happen again on Sunday it will be hard to see a way through.

But I'm hopeful.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,213 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

doc_17 wrote: »
    I thought their hunger was pretty good in 2014.

Two key things on Sunday to watch for. Will we go our usual 20-25 minutes in tight games without scoring? This theme has emerged since the Ulster final in 2015.

And the tackling. Last year we were very sloppy and undisciplined in tackling.

Those two things cost us at various stages last year. And if both happen again on Sunday it will be hard to see a way through.

But I'm hopeful.

On the indiscipline and sloppy tackling, my biggest worry in that regard for Sunday is Michael Murphy.
    The man is a class act. By a country mile the best footballer we have ever had and losing him too a black card on Sunday would be the equivalent of 2 reds and us left with 13 on the pitch.

charlie14 wrote: »
    On the indiscipline and sloppy tackling, my biggest worry in that regard for Sunday is Michael Murphy.
    The man is a class act. By a country mile the best footballer we have ever had and losing him too a black card on Sunday would be the equivalent of 2 reds and us left with 13 on the pitch.
    Plus Tyrone would free up the two men who will be marking him ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Plus Tyrone would free up the two men who will be marking him ;)

Can hardly blame us for that. He's a bloody animal.

Still no team news from your camp? Checked twitter there and nothing announced.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Murphy14

Jayop wrote: »
    Still no team news from your camp? Checked twitter there and nothing announced.

When the team is named there will be countless changes before throw in
    See David Gough is now the ref for Sunday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 748 ✭✭✭boxer.fan

Which two will be hanging out of Murphy for the day now that there's likely no McMahon starting?

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭squareball1988

Donegal by 3.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

Murphy14 wrote: »
    When the team is named there will be countless changes before throw in
    See David Gough is now the ref for Sunday

I was speaking to David Gough recently. He told me he has never reffed a Donegal game without carding one of the McGees. As long as he doesn't think Jason is related the odds of escaping without a card tomorrow have improved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Herself is away so I was going to do lone ranger up to the game tomorrow. But it's cemetery Sunday for the old man. Wouldn't mind but he'd go with me if he was around.

At least I won't have to buy a little radio with the single headphones to get friend making information.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,213 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

I was speaking to David Gough recently. He told me he has never reffed a Donegal game without carding one of the McGees. As long as he doesn't think Jason is related the odds of escaping without a card tomorrow have improved.

Hopefully he knows they are not from the same family.
    In all fairness to Gough I always loved the edge and the sheer menace the other two boyos brought to our game, but during games I often thought if I was ref, just to save myself time and effort, I would have booked them before they even left the dressing room.
    I miss old star gazer.
    No better man to let a forward line know it wasn`t simply a game. It was personal.

The Saturday panel podcast from yesterday is a great listen for the build up to the game. Listening now, McGuigan, big Joe and your Kieran Cunningham talking about the two teams. Very interesting.

Fine day for it in Clones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

Whats it actually going to take to get that clown out of the county? This is what we have after 3 years, an absolutely clueless tactical performance and any semblance of defending seemingly coached out of the players. Experienced heads such as McLoone and Thompson who could have made a difference towards the end of the first half today forced out of the squad. Tyrone wont get an easier game all year. Seriously, if you have any respect for either yourself or Donegal football, go now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 748 ✭✭✭boxer.fan

Shocking stuff. Great bunch of players. Poorly organised. How Tyrone didn't bag a bunch of goals I'll never know. The subs - baffling.

Everything the manager was criticised for last year can be re hashed again. New players, same ****e.

Four year plan my backside. Somebody enlighten me on what Maxi is bringing to the table?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

Sick of that complete clown now. I can't stand him.

boxer.fan wrote: »
    Shocking stuff. Great bunch of players. Poorly organised. How Tyrone didn't bag a bunch of goals I'll never know. The subs - baffling.

Everything the manager was criticised for last year can be re hashed again. New players, same ****e.

Four year plan my backside. Somebody enlighten me on what Maxi is bringing to the table?
    Worst performance since Armagh 2010 abysmal not one player had a notion what was expected of them only one man to blame here well and the county board who kept him on disgraceful saw him and maxi on the sideline talking and not one of them had a clue.
    Rory time to do the decent thing and walk away living of Jims legacy too long now you and your cronies have been found out 3 years and nothing to show from it time to go.
    As for maxi I'd say a simple yes man

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭Brego888

As good as Tyrone were Donegal were insipid. What is the obsession with trying to bash your way through the middle of a blanket defence? No width at all going forward and Tyrone lapped up the skinny young fellas bouncing off their defence.
    Tyrone spread the play and opened up the Donegal defence at will.

Advertisement