Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Donegal GAA Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,964 ✭✭✭doc_17

This notion that Gallagher is a deep thinker and has sound tactical acumen is as true as strong and stable was when talking about Teresa May.

And the players should be allowed to play for their clubs. They need to get football.

The young lads were at sea, carrying the ball into the tackle and losing it too often.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Murphy14

That' was embarrassing today there was no game plan, started with the wrong team the team that finished would have been better and stronger to start, no kick out strategy while continuing to kick the ball to a midfield that was beaten it's getting hard to back management 3rd year and we are going backwards.

doc_17 wrote: »
    This notion that Gallagher is a deep thinker and has sound tactical acumen is as true as strong and stable was when talking about Teresa May.

Rory has dined out on being Jim's right hand man for too long he has been found out by the master that is Mickey Harte, will be a short summer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭babybuilder

Ditto

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

Whats it actually going to take to get that clown out of the county? This is what we have after 3 years, an absolutely clueless tactical performance and any semblance of defending seemingly coached out of the players. Experienced heads such as McLoone and Thompson who could have made a difference towards the end of the first half today forced out of the squad. Tyrone wont get an easier game all year. Seriously, if you have any respect for either yourself or Donegal football, go now

Don't want to come off as an apologist for Gallagher but its obvious the players are no longer playing for him. There were loads of half hearted efforts out there today and thats the reason why the defence looked shot. Case in point Karl Lacey allowed McCann walk around him for the goal. When the camera switched to behind the goal you could see Lacey (only on) trotting back as if its nothing to do with him.

Poison atmosphere V manager tactically not having a clue? Maybe he doesn't have a clue but i'm not surprised the man following McGuinness has found it tough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Sick of that complete clown now. I can't stand him.

To be fair, I thought our keeper made some good saves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

Stupidity - Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result.
    All questions about Rory Gallagher's management were answered today.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,213 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

That clown and his whole set up has to go before he ruins some good talented footballers that are coming through, or we are going to go back too where we were prior to 2011.

After today there is no way that squad could have any confidence in him.
    Whatever bit of belief they had in him after the last two Ulster Finals, especially last year, went after 20 mins in and you could see it in the players that they knew tactically he had got it completely wrong.
    Not blaming McGinley, pulled off a few great saves today, but FFS 2 years under Gallagher`s coaching and kick-outs still either down the middle (which absolutely killed us today) or out over the sideline.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 pmcb

Next up... Just wondering who our next potential opponents are? Was told it was either Meath, Derry or Clare? Is it first draw = home?

Disappointed today.

1. Kickouts. Big reason why we lost 2day... I've probably been Mark Anthony's biggest critic since he replaced Pápa. Today, he saved our blushes, great shot stopping. All year I've been giving out kickouts but Rory must not realise how important possession is from this area!!!!

Tyrone were clinical everywhere today especially in this area. LONG BALL, TYRONE LAUGHING!!!!! RORY SORT IT OUT.

2. Defence... Like a sieve compared to the McGuinness era. Simple

3. Counter attacking... The MAIN reason why we lost 2day....Tyrone killed us and were far superior... 9 different scorers in the 1st half and 1 wide.

4. Double marked Paddy. What was your plan b and c Rory.. Doubt you had one..

5. Agree with most here... better team finished than started.

Look we are at year 1 of Rebuilding. Is Rory the man to take us to the next stage.....??? His defence is leaky, his attack is naive and his tactics are questionable...

Backdoor..... we should get to 3a...no further... with him at the helm

previous comment

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Funny I was going to post this morning that your manager maybe deserved some credit for having brought in a batch of new players and having you as favorites with a lot of people today. Just shows how much people outside the county see different things to people within.

• Advertisement

Very disappointing. Credit to Tyrone, they know what they are about and they executed really well. The concerns I had about our defence are very real unfortunately. That will not be fixed easily. On attack, well, no real surprises - small fellas running into contact and coughing up the ball again and again. Wiped out at midfield.

I'd have to question our overall fitness and conditioning. We didn't look like we were at the pitch of the game.

There's a 19 year old getting the man of the match for the Cork hurlers today - so you can't just say that we are too young. But these lads have a long way to go to replace what we have lost. My fear now is that we may have to replace another 2 or 3 for next year. It was good to see Kieran Gillespie back at least. My only hope for the rest of the year is that we avoid another hammering.

pmcb wrote: »
    Next up... Just wondering who our next potential opponents are? Was told it was either Meath, Derry or Clare? Is it first draw = home?

Sligo, Longford, Derry or Laois - there is a draw for home advantage.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭North of 32

Tyrone were fantastic. They were untouchable in the ''2nd quarter''. The ball-winning at midfield, the discipline of their defense forcing so many turnovers, the frightening pace of the counter attack, the outstanding conversion rate.

But, the sideline left the team in no-man's land on their knees and under a barrage of fire. With no sound game plan, the players were never going to play to play the football they're capable of. There is now ample evidence to justify Rory's dismissal; no one could defend his performance (and his backroom). The man couldn't clearly can't coach.

I am willing to concede that we may have expected too much from so many young players.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Jayop wrote: »
    Funny I was going to post this morning that your manager maybe deserved some credit for having brought in a batch of new players and having you as favorites with a lot of people today. Just shows how much people outside the county see different things to people within.

I fancied Donegal today after a very decent league with a inexperienced youthful outfit as opposed to Tyrone who flagged a tad towards the end of the league.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

seligehgit wrote: »
    I fancied Donegal today after a very decent league with a inexperienced youthful outfit as opposed to Tyrone who flagged a tad towards the end of the league.

Yeah sure you know I was far from confident today. One game makes some difference to the perception of a manager

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,223 ✭✭✭overshoot

pmcb wrote: »
    2. Defence... Like a sieve compared to the McGuinness era. Simple
    4. Double marked Paddy. What was your plan b and c Rory.. Doubt you had one..

It's the two of them for me... Teams have adjusted to the blanket and improved their long rang shooting... But there wasn't the desire, or possibly not knowing roles to crowd the man on the ball that had been there previously. Given far too much time.

Gallagher started making subs early but I saw little in terms of tactical adjustments that was going to negate tyrone or improve us defensively or offensively. It actually just reinforces the idea that the game plan was wrong and there was little plan b.

Plenty of times we attacked and the 45 was crowded and we shuffled around and but often there was 3 on 3 in the square which would have been a better punt than a long range shot but the variation was never tried. Is this management or players not getting their heads up? It won't work every time but it would have kept tyrone guessing and possibly drop a few more bodies deeper leaving more space in the 45 area another time.

There is definitely inexperience in the side and tyrone were brilliant and had their homework done but its another big game where yet again, Gallagher has been found wanting for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

Rory's losin' matches.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 748 ✭✭✭boxer.fan

Longford it is. Potential banana skin. Home advantage will help.

Was hoping for Longford away!

Again, we went for almost 25 mins without a score. Tyrone won the second quarter 10-1.

• Advertisement

Play Longford in Letterkenny and put everyone out of their misery

Murphy14 wrote:
    Play Longford in Letterkenny and put everyone out of their misery

: -)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

Well some of you boys were certainly thinking a lot clearer than I was in the lead up to this. RSF, I had a look back at your post from Friday and you were spot on. Some of us clearly let our hearts rule our head going into Sunday but I don't think there were many who expected the display to be such a complete embarrassment. How a Donegal team could go out in an Ulster semi against Tyrone and roll over like that is beyond me. WTF do they do in training - just tell lads to fill the defence and let them sort it out themselves? At times yesterday we had 5 in a line with oceans of space in behind, how clueless could you be. It's not rugby Rory, some teams pass the ball forward too you know!
    We'll possibly regroup and make it to August but if we do there's another beating waiting for us there.

#RoryAndMaxiOut

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭babybuilder

Moronic football from clueless management.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

He's f*cking useless isn't he.

At what stage do the county board say enough is enough. Him and that other jackass on the line..... don't know how much I more I can take of it.

All the while the clubs are DYING on the ground. At the end of his reign they'll turn around and wonder what happened. Reserve football is already on life support, only a matter of time before senior teams can't field either.

In fact, did Killybegs call off a match with Buncrana the week before last because of the leaving cert? So they couldn't get 15 senior players? The 13 day rule should have meant their two county men could play but they weren't allowed.

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭dog_pig

Does anyone know why Jason McGee was subbed for Lacey?

dog_pig wrote: »
    Does anyone know why Jason McGee was subbed for Lacey?

I'd say it was he was struggling to make an impact? I thought he carried the ball into the tackle too often and struggled to put his stamp on things.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭bob skunkhouse

Interesting to read JMCG article in today's IT. The biggest swipe at Gallagher since he left the county. Hard to argue with what he was saying but for me there was a telling line written that most on here wrote about also - "[font=Georgia, "Times New Roman", Times, serif]I just feel this approach is too extreme and therefore doesn’t work. And it became our only option on Sunday."[/font]
    [font=Georgia, "Times New Roman", Times, serif]In other words, there was no plan B![/font]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,213 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Interesting to read JMCG article in today's IT. The biggest swipe at Gallagher since he left the county. Hard to argue with what he was saying but for me there was a telling line written that most on here wrote about also - "[font=Georgia, "Times New Roman", Times, serif]I just feel this approach is too extreme and therefore doesn’t work. And it became our only option on Sunday."[/font]
    [font=Georgia, "Times New Roman", Times, serif]In other words, there was no plan B![/font]

Saw that, and I would imagine it`s exactly what the players themselves are thinking, if they haven`t already especially after last years Ulster final.
    Interesting idea that if you are going to play 14 back, defend at the 45 but leave 4 at the 65 which would leave them out there to harry the player on the ball and not give him time to pick out his pass inside or take pot shots for points.
    It would certainly stop teams spraying balls from wing to wing to drag defenders over and back creating openings and would prevent a lot of attacks on the wings in that it would funnel the attack into to center.
    Seeing as it`s J McGs idea, last thing our two resident tactical genius`s will consider I imagine.

Advertisement