Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Donegal GAA Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

The game was not lost on the line on Sunday. It was lost sometime in Autumn 2014.

There was something very troubling on Sunday. It was a complete failure in all aspects. Defence, Midfield, Attack, Mindset, Fitness.

The keeper is getting plaudits for his saves, and that's fine, but as others have said, it is really hard to see what he is at come kickout time. The constant running like a maniac to get the ball and set it on the tee when nobody is making a run to be ready. The long booming kicks to nobody in particular. I can't say for sure if it's him or our outfield players who are at fault, I suspect both.

Biggest issue with our defence is that it is a mass of bodies standing around doing nothing. Nowhere near enough aggression or tenacity. Even some attempts to block shots on Sunday were half hearted. We have become like every other team that makes a half assed attempt at the blanket defence.

Midfield was taken to school. Jason McGee wasn't as bad as his first half substitution suggested, but his development is far from complete. He is good on the ball but his lack of mobility is troubling. As has been said about Michael, his best position is at full forward. He had a nice cameo at midfield during the League, but my fear for the summer was that once a test came against a top class outfit he would struggle to have an impact. The workrate is huge, but the mobility to be a modern midfielder is not there. I fear this is how it will continue for the next few years. It seems nobody else is trusted or has developed sufficiently to give us an option there.

Forward play was as poor as expected. Paddy did ok for what he got. A sign we weren't at the races is when early on Jamie Brennan was far too slow to react to a shot off the post. How Eoin McHugh didn't hit the target is beyond me. Yes, we had our chances, but I don't think it would have made much difference to the outcome.

I was hoping for Longford in Longford as (a) it was a winnable but potentially tricky match (b) Pearse Park is one venue I have to cross off the list and (c) it's a handy run for me. Due to work I won't make it to Ballybofey or to the next round if we make it through (I expect we will). Hey, avoid Mayo in 3A and we will be odds on for 4A and then we would face the Munster or Connacht runners up. No reason why we wouldn't win that game either and hey presto, we are back in a Quarter Final. Those games haven't gone too well for us when we have not been Ulster Champions. It might be good to get that far to build a bit of confidence among the younger players, but that's it. We are not capable of beating any of the top teams in a Championship match this year IMHO.

No idea if yer man will stick around or not. Maybe the players have (finally)lost confidence in him. But the obvious alternative hasn't shone too much in big games either, and the word I heard is that the players were so keen on Rory because they didn't fancy the alternative.

It would break your heart reading Jim McGuinness this week. The idea he is having a cut at Rory is hilarious. Why would he bother. Rory is digging his own hole. And the idea that Rory was some sort of Good Samaritan to take on an aging Donegal is even more funny. He wanted that job before McGuinness took Donegal back to the All Ireland Final. It's a pity he is failing so badly at the expense of our County. Remember, this is a guy who failed with our (very talented) U21s as well. His sidekick too. He's done little to deserve the ridiculous contract he was given.

The reason Donegal got younger this year is that we had no choice. So many players have retired or walked away in the past few years that picking the best of the underage teams was the easy solution. We may as well continue with them now, and hopefully they will continue to develop and one or two more come through next year (they may well have to, as we could well see more retirements or players walking away this winter). But without the right management we are going nowhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Redsoxfan wrote: »
    Hey, avoid Mayo in 3A and we will be odds on for 4A and then we would face the Munster or Connacht runners up. No reason why we wouldn't win that game either and hey presto, we are back in a Quarter Final.

I said on here before the game that losing it would actually give an easier path to the all ireland final than winning it and going into the A side of the draw was the reason. Both sides now have one big dog, we have Dublin and ye have Kerry. I'd probably prefer to be playing this Kerry team still over Dublin in August.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

charlie14 wrote: »
    Connolly has all the skills, but I would be willing to wager that given the choice between him and Murphy, Jim Gavin would opt for Murphy every time.
    Not only would I rate Murphy ahead of Connolly vision wise, but with Murphy Gavin wouldn`t have to worry about being down to 14 men from the throw in because of a bout of petulance.
    That alone as a team player has Murphy head and shoulders over Connolly.

He's got discipline problems granted and no question Michael is a leader, wheras I don't think Connolly is.

Fact remains though (as was my initial point) he is an outrageous footballer. Honestly one of the best I think i've ever seen.

That point in the final last year on the sprint and off his left peg into the hill. Holy jesus.

That point in the final last year on the sprint and off his left peg into the hill. Holy jesus.

Some point on Sunday too. Last good memory of the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,213 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

He's got discipline problems granted and no question Michael is a leader, wheras I don't think Connolly is.

Fact remains though (as was my initial point) he is an outrageous footballer. Honestly one of the best I think i've ever seen.

Connolly has it all skill wise, but for a manager he is a nightmare and at this stage even his team-mates must be getting p**sed off with him.

Great point alright and I seem to recall Colm Anthony during the Mc Guinness years, although not sure of the year or opposition, pinging one similar at the Canal End on the sprint with the defenders backing off thinking he was too far out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭bob skunkhouse

charlie14 wrote: »
    Jayop wrote: »
    He was absolutely busting his balls in the second half trying to do everything himself but it wasn't possible and he just ran out of steam in the end.

If anything the lad is too committed to the cause.  My fear is that with him seemingly being expected to be chief fireman putting out all fires that arise by the present management, is going to burn the man out football wise physically and mentally long before it should.

!00% correct. And I think he knows the team around him isn't of the standard that he's played with in the past and that's why he tries too much. Fact of the matter is, Murphy with his old team had two bites of the cherry and thankfully took one in 2012. I'll go out in a limb and say there's no more all Irelands in this Donegal team by the time he retires. There's to much current youth in the team that need developing, Paddy McGrath, Lacy, FMCG and possibly Magee aren't the players of yesterday year so they'll need replacing also. So by the time the current crop of young guns mature, we'll need another bunch of young wans to replace the ones mentioned above. So what's happening is a kind of cyclical evolution of the team constantly inserting younger players without establishing a set  mature team. Kerry during the 00's had 6 players who won 4 AI medals plus two more with 3 All Ireland medals, Tyrone during the 00's had 10 players that won three AI medals. I think JMCG used only 22 players in his 2014 team. By feeding the senior team - drip drip style - we're never going to get a team mature enough to win an All Ireland again. Paddy McG got roasted last Sunday (and i'm not talking about the sunshine) and when Antrim kicked diagonal ball he was found wanting when exposed one on one. KL's time has come and gone, FMCG is also on the wane. We need to add a few more younger players to fill into these slots and have at least a 3 year plan aiming for 2020 when the team has developed. Murrphy will be 31 by that time and hopefully still around to prove my statement above wrong!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 422 ✭✭The Assistinator

!00% correct. And I think he knows the team around him isn't of the standard that he's played with in the past and that's why he tries too much. Fact of the matter is, Murphy with his old team had two bites of the cherry and thankfully took one in 2012. I'll go out in a limb and say there's no more all Irelands in this Donegal team by the time he retires. There's to much current youth in the team that need developing, Paddy McGrath, Lacy, FMCG and possibly Magee aren't the players of yesterday year so they'll need replacing also. So by the time the current crop of young guns mature, we'll need another bunch of young wans to replace the ones mentioned above. So what's happening is a kind of cyclical evolution of the team constantly inserting younger players without establishing a set  mature team. Kerry during the 00's had 6 players who won 4 AI medals plus two more with 3 All Ireland medals, Tyrone during the 00's had 10 players that won three AI medals. I think JMCG used only 22 players in his 2014 team. By feeding the senior team - drip drip style - we're never going to get a team mature enough to win an All Ireland again. Paddy McG got roasted last Sunday (and i'm not talking about the sunshine) and when Antrim kicked diagonal ball he was found wanting when exposed one on one. KL's time has come and gone, FMCG is also on the wane. We need to add a few more younger players to fill into these slots and have at least a 3 year plan aiming for 2020 when the team has developed. Murrphy will be 31 by that time and hopefully still around to prove my statement above wrong!
    Yeah and mister Gallagher at the helm will help things progress I'm sure:mad:

Down v Tyrone.

Rory Gallagher is a disgrace.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭squareball1988

7 days have passed and I'm just about over the Tyrone "match".

Thankfully we only have 4 more years of Rory. Then 4 of Maxi. At which point Christy Toye will lead us to back to back Sam's in 2025/2026. Good man Christy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

Another decent article by Jim on the Down victory. The one relevant bit to our lads that jumped out at me was the bits around emotion.
    "And I create this scenario for them: If you were in a situation where a family member was hanging over a cliff and you are holding them. And you have to pull them up to get them over to the safe side of the cliff, how hard would you hold on and how deep would you go inside yourself? And the answer would typically be: everything I have in my body. Everything in my power and then some.
    And then my follow up is: why not do the same for your football life? The reason any person grips so fiercely onto a loved one on the edge comes down to life experience shared with that person. It is a deep and powerful emotional connection.
    That emotional connection is vital in Gaelic games and is what generates nights like Saturday. If you can create a culture powered by that connection and if you can push people to a level that makes them feel they can’t do any more, they automatically connect. That’s what Eamonn Burns has achieved with Down. So in the last 10 minutes, the conversation was not fully about football, it was about emotion. A team that was nowhere and written off brought that level of emotional commitment to bear. They had the work done.
    "

Does anyone seriously think Rory has a clue how to generate anything like that level of commitment from our lads? As RSF alluded to, Downs victory only served to highlight what we are sorely missing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

Ceist_Beag wrote: »
    Another decent article by Jim on the Down victory. The one relevant bit to our lads that jumped out at me was the bits around emotion.
    "And I create this scenario for them: If you were in a situation where a family member was hanging over a cliff and you are holding them. And you have to pull them up to get them over to the safe side of the cliff, how hard would you hold on and how deep would you go inside yourself? And the answer would typically be: everything I have in my body. Everything in my power and then some.
    And then my follow up is: why not do the same for your football life? The reason any person grips so fiercely onto a loved one on the edge comes down to life experience shared with that person. It is a deep and powerful emotional connection.
    That emotional connection is vital in Gaelic games and is what generates nights like Saturday. If you can create a culture powered by that connection and if you can push people to a level that makes them feel they can’t do any more, they automatically connect. That’s what Eamonn Burns has achieved with Down. So in the last 10 minutes, the conversation was not fully about football, it was about emotion. A team that was nowhere and written off brought that level of emotional commitment to bear. They had the work done.
    "

Does anyone seriously think Rory has a clue how to generate anything like that level of commitment from our lads? As RSF alluded to, Downs victory only served to highlight what we are sorely missing.

No and he's not a jot of loyalty in his body anyway.

A journeyman. We need to rid ourselves of this filth.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

Anyone know why Luke Keaney hasn't been involved in squads? Did he drop out or is he just not getting on picked? Thought he looked a good prospect.

Just on this RSF, I just saw on twitter/instagram that he is after having another hip operation so that would explain that one.

Maybe another Chinese team will now make Rory and Maxi an offer they can't refuse....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭dwayneshintzy

Asian Gaelic Games are on in Bangkok a couple weeks after the Super League season finishes......only half joking, but wonder if McGuinness would give them a go with Beijing GAA. They've some team already; Oisin Minagh from Cavan and a former Cork senior footballer as well I think.

We can add "how to speak Chinese in a Glenties accent" to the list of things the world didn't need but Jim gave them to us anyway. Other items are the 2011 Semi Final and Rory Gallagher.

Ward and Mulligan named to start in the programme over Doherty and Brennan.

4 mins in. We've had 14 men back twice already. Block, drop short and a wide.

Jesus Christ. This is some turgid stuff so far. Absolutely no shape or commitment to any tackle or shot or 50/50 ball.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 367 ✭✭Don2012

Jesus Christ. This is some turgid stuff so far. Absolutely no shape or commitment to any tackle or shot or 50/50 ball.

It's so sad. Rory has to go!!!

Can we win this!!??

• Advertisement

Don2012 wrote:
    Can we win this!!??

At this point, hopefully not. But also, probably not.

St Michael's the only team in Donegal that can still play football apparently.

A really awful half. Hopefully we can improve but this just proves we are going nowhere this year.

Michael Murphy Sports has a link to a live stream on Facebook if anyone can stomach it.

We've had 4 different full forward lines in the first 35 minutes. Neil McGee was in one of them.

Rory doesn't have a stats man so I've a fair idea where he's pulling these decisions from.

In fairness, I've had low expectations of this game so I'm going out of my way to look for things to complain about. But this is pure dung. No midfield, no shape, bodies just going places. The one positive is that we're shooting, which we didn't do v Tyrone. Just a pity out conversion rate is about 12%.

A really awful half. Hopefully we can improve but this just proves we are going nowhere this year.

Michael Murphy Sports has a link to a live stream on Facebook if anyone can stomach it.

Bet they'll be no plan B! Rory!!! Grrrrrrr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

Thought it would be less stressful if I could actually see what was going on. I was wrong

Don't know where to start.

McElhinney should be a starter.
    Longford missed a few handy 2nd half frees, that really was the difference between two teams.
    Lacey and McHugh added some composure to us.

Dad reckons the only way is up after that - but I don't know. Struggling at home to Longford - no gameplan, no shape. Bodies everywhere but nobody doing anything.

Longford lost this match themselves, Donegal didn't win it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,223 ✭✭✭overshoot

No midfield, no shape, bodies just going places.

When people lashed Mc Guinness for destroying the game with defensive football, it was simple to defend him. He always had a holistic and detailed defence/attack strategy to win the game where people knew what they were doing.
    Those just pulling bodies with no greater plan were destroying it... I feel that's what we have now unfortunately.

The only positive is that we are in the draw for 3A. 16 wides v 17.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,964 ✭✭✭doc_17

I'd fear for us if we were drawn away to Clare or against Mayo anywhere

Advertisement