Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Donegal GAA Discussion Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭Steve The Barman

Great photo of Jim and Michael Hegarty celebrating after that match. I remember Michael Collins, the ref, being a right bollix
    that day.

Micheal's mum (R.I.P) passed away a few days before that particular match if memory serves me right, read an interview he did about it for the Irish Independent a few years after, powerful stuff, i must try and find the link

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭babybuilder

dog_pig wrote: »
    Good interview with Eamon McGee on Second Captains earlier.

Did he express any views on the current performances of the team?

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭dog_pig

Did he express any views on the current performances of the team?

Nothing specific but he did assign responsibility to management and the experienced players. More revealing than I expected.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

dog_pig wrote:
    Good interview with Eamon McGee on Second Captains earlier.

Not going to pay for it, pity, as I'm sure it's worthwhile.

Redsoxfan wrote: »
    Not going to pay for it, pity, as I'm sure it's worthwhile.

I attempted to send you a PM there but I can't tell if it worked or not

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

Yeah I think Second Captains made a poor move going to a subscription service. Be interested to see how many took up the subscription. I like them ... but not that much!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 367 ✭✭Don2012

Views on how Saturday evening will go? Even if we get to the quarters I'd be happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,213 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Don2012 wrote: »
    Views on how Saturday evening will go? Even if we get to the quarters I'd be happy.

Toss of a coin, and I`m afraid happy is going to be as high as your emotions are going to go this year championship wise unfortunately.

dog_pig wrote:
    I attempted to send you a PM there but I can't tell if it worked or not

Thumbs up.

Ceist_Beag wrote: »
    Yeah I think Second Captains made a poor move going to a subscription service. Be interested to see how many took up the subscription. I like them ... but not that much!

Yea I'm not mad about most of the stuff that goes up, I don't really listen to the soccer podcasts if there are no internationals coming up.

Not really sure why I haven't unsubscribed yet to be honest. The odd good one keeps me interested I think.

• Advertisement

Not in a position to make Saturday's game unfortunately. Typical when it's just down the road. Based on the Tyrone and Longford performances I would be very anxious. Feels like something is badly wrong - fair enough, manger is useless, but that's been the case since 2014 so nothing new there. Either age has caught up with with our more experienced players or players no longer want to play for this manager.

Hopefully there's at least one performance in this team this summer. Whether we need it on Saturday or not depends on Meath I suppose. Not pulling up trees themselves but will surely sense a great opportunity to right their horrendous Qualifier results against Ulster teams.

Not in a position to make Saturday's game unfortunately. Typical when it's just down the road. Based on the Tyrone and Longford performances I would be very anxious. Feels like something is badly wrong - fair enough, manger is useless, but that's been the case since 2014 so nothing new there. Either age has caught up with with our more experienced players or players no longer want to play for this manager.

Hopefully there's at least one performance in this team this summer. Whether we need it on Saturday or not depends on Meath I suppose. Not pulling up trees themselves but will surely sense a great opportunity to right their horrendous Qualifier results against Ulster teams.

I wondered about that when we had the mass exodus of experienced players, tbh.

The confidence isn't there. I think Rory is the problem and the players know it. Whatever the outcome may be on saturday things have to change.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,437 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Totally irrelevant, but Donegal Meath in Croke Park 2002, (followed by Sligo whipping Tyrone) was the day Donegal wore a amber/black jersey because of the colour clash, and it was nicest Donegal jersey i've seen used by us (I dont know how to load images - but someone might if interested).

Early in the week ,but i havent heard much excitement/build up for the trip to Navan, and i'm guessing it will be later in the week, before people will decide to travel or not.
    I've always enjoyed the buzz of away qualifier matches and Donegal playing against a large vocal home crowd - Kildare 2001.
    Hopefully we'll travel well as supporters, as it must be demoralising for a team, if they cannot hear their own support.

Is the Navan ground easy to get close to or will parking be much of an issue?
    I seem to remember when the players (of both sides) came onto the pitch in 2002, neither set of fans knew who to cheer for. I think both teams wore their province's Railway Cup colours (Meath wore Leinster's green and white, Donegal wore black and amber).
    Navan can be difficult to get parking if you don't get there early. There's a large car park at the "swimming pool end" of Pairc Tailteann (on Commons Road) as well as one in Navan O'Mahony's and a smaller car park further up Brews Hill. However, these will be absolutely mental getting out of after the game. Depending where you're parked, it could take over an hour to get out of the car park. Not great when you've a 3 hour journey ahead of you. My advice is get there early and get on street parking or parking in a car park a 10/15 minute walk away so that you'll be on the road quickly afterwards.

Strange build up to this match. Both sets of fans seem to be trying to outdo each other in pessimism (or realism??). Seems to me that it's going to be more a case of which team is less sh!t that ends up going through to round 4.
    Not expecting a classic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭harpsman

Yeah I think nearly €6/month is a bit rich for a few podcasts. When you can get netflix for €8. I love SC but Im not paying that. Plenty of free podcasts around if not as good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Totally irrelevant, but Donegal Meath in Croke Park 2002, (followed by Sligo whipping Tyrone) was the day Donegal wore a amber/black jersey because of the colour clash, and it was nicest Donegal jersey i've seen used by us (I dont know how to load images - but someone might if interested).

Here ye go:

INPHO_00073729.jpg

http://inpho.ie/assignment/Football-Qualifier-Donegal-vs-Meath-21-7-2002/JLifElFCgMCyGcpCtre54g..a

That jersey reminds me of St Eunan's!
    Ahh Abby Hotel sponsorship.

By the way, according to Michael Murphy Sports, we will be wearing white on Saturday. Make of that what you will.

By the way, according to Michael Murphy Sports, we will be wearing white on Saturday. Make of that what you will.

Probably as the provincial colours would be too close to their regular jerseys so meaning there’s little point.

That being said. I can’t really see the need for either team to change.

White is our standard change jersey for several years now.

• Advertisement

White is our standard change jersey for several years now.

Aye. But as I said, there's little point in going "provincial" given you wear yellow anyway.

Still don't think ye need to change along with Meath.

My post went over the heads of outsiders. Job done.

Go on so...

"Outsiders" care to elaborate?

Don2012 wrote: »
    "Outsiders" care to elaborate?

Non-Tyrconnelians

• Registered Users Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

And non-Inishoweners :D

421736.jpg

1090188.jpg

Game will be streamed on Facebook on Saturday evening it seems. I manged to synch it ok with Oisin and Declan last week.

• Advertisement

And there was me thinking I wasn't an outsider!:P:D:D

Ah, well!

Advertisement