Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Donegal GAA Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

eddie73 wrote: »
    I dont know the permutations, but last year, Kerry ended up bizarrely playing Clare in the quarter finals having already played them in the munster semi finals. I dont fully understand the logic of all of this.

I think that if Ross and Cork are the runners up then it is a straight draw between them and Mayo and Donegal for round 4

Quarter finals are then open drawn again (if Cork and Ross win, they avoid the provincial team that beat them).

The best way of avoiding a situation where a team that cant meet another team because of previous fixture meeting would be to take the team out of the bowl at the very start of the draw and have the winning provincial team in question alone in the other bowl. When the successful pairing happens, then put all the balls back in and proceed. The difficulty here is that it is too logical.

Think Kerry played Clare last year as the alternative was Tipp who they played in the Munster final. If at all possible, repeat pairings are avoided, apart from rounds 1 and 2, which is bizarre. Anyway, looks like Galway and Cork will be in the qualifiers if things dont change drastically in Salthill

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭henke

I'm guessing its Galway Donegal so and Mayo Cork.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

Definitely Galway next day out, and assuming Mayo beat Cork, a draw for the quarter finals should we make it through

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017_All-Ireland_Senior_Football_Championship

'In the fourth round of the qualifiers, the four winning teams from round 3 play the four beaten provincial finalists. Round 4 draw rules do not allow two teams that have played each other in a provincial match to meet again if such a pairing can be avoided. The four winners of these matches play the provincial champions in the All-Ireland quarter-finals.'

'The four provincial champions play the four winners from round 4 of the qualifiers. Draw rules - 1: Two teams who met in a provincial final cannot meet again 2: If one of the provincial champions has already met one of the qualifiers in an earlier match then those two teams cannot be drawn together if such a pairing can be avoided.'

• Registered Users Posts: 15,213 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Definitely Galway next day out, and assuming Mayo beat Cork, a draw for the quarter finals should we make it through

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017_All-Ireland_Senior_Football_Championship

'In the fourth round of the qualifiers, the four winning teams from round 3 play the four beaten provincial finalists. Round 4 draw rules do not allow two teams that have played each other in a provincial match to meet again if such a pairing can be avoided. The four winners of these matches play the provincial champions in the All-Ireland quarter-finals.'

'The four provincial champions play the four winners from round 4 of the qualifiers. Draw rules - 1: Two teams who met in a provincial final cannot meet again 2: If one of the provincial champions has already met one of the qualifiers in an earlier match then those two teams cannot be drawn together if such a pairing can be avoided.'

If we should manage to beat Galway then it would be either the Connacht champions, Roscommon or the Munster champions Kerry in a Q/F.
    If Cork beat Mayo, then it would be Kerry as Cork and Kerry cannot meet at Q/F .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭Brego888

So Galway on the weekend of the 22nd/23rd.
    Croke park double header with Cork and Mayo probably would have made sense but bloody U2 are playing that weekend!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,965 ✭✭✭doc_17

Plenty of places that'll be able to accomadatw that game. Sligo, Breffni, Castlebar all options. I'd play it in Sligo!

doc_17 wrote: »
    Plenty of places that'll be able to accomadatw that game. Sligo, Breffni, Castlebar all options. I'd play it in Sligo!

Seeing as it has to be a neutral venue, could the powers that be perhaps decide to have it neither in Ulster or Connacht and go for a Leinster venue ?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

charlie14 wrote: »
    Seeing as it has to be a neutral venue, could the powers that be perhaps decide to have it neither in Ulster or Connacht and go for a Leinster venue ?

Doubt it,I don't believe there is any stipulation whereby the venue has to be in a neutral province.

I still wouldn't be surprised if it's played in Castlebar.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

seligehgit wrote: »
    Doubt it,I don't believe there is any stipulation whereby the venue has to be in a neutral province.

Galway - Donegal have played each other in Castlebar before.

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭FrKurtFahrt

Brego888 wrote: »
    So Galway on the weekend of the 22nd/23rd.
    Croke park double header with Cork and Mayo probably would have made sense but bloody U2 are playing that weekend!

Well, in all fairness to the powers that be, they can't have known there might be 2 play-off games to be played that week-end.

Seriously, tying up Croke Park at this time of the year is shocking.

• Advertisement

Actually come to think of it, Didn`t Donegal play Galway in the qualifiers in Sligo 2009 ?

Not sure what the capacity of Markievicz is these days though.

Well, in all fairness to the powers that be, they can't have known there might be 2 play-off games to be played that week-end.

Seriously, tying up Croke Park at this time of the year is shocking.

The line from that Tom Cruise film comes to mind "Show me the money";)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

charlie14 wrote: »
    Actually come to think of it, Didn`t Donegal play Galway in the qualifiers in Sligo 2009 ?

Not sure what the capacity of Markievicz is these days though.

I thought it was much less.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

So did I. You sure that's up to date? I haven't been there in a few years though.

Same here.

That may leaves it a more likely venue than Castlebar.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭eddie73

They could have it in Breffni if capacity were an issue. But around 18k is about right for the crowd that would be expected to travel. Galway are most unlikely to travel after today. I would base this on their past form as supporters in back door games as well as the fact that their hurlers are going strong and people will have to decide on what to shout for, money being factored in here too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

SO back to Saturday evening then, would anyone there care to do up a report? Listening on the radio a couple of observations in which I'd be interested in getting the view of those who were actually there.

1. The experienced (can't call them old as most of them are young lads!) heads once again pulled us through. Murphy, Ryan, Paddy. It also soungs like young Jason McGee had a decent match. Did anyone else play well?
    2. Eoin McHugh doesn't deserve a start the next day. He just hasn't performed all year for us and for me isn't good enough.
    3. Hugh McFadden still ain't the answer.
    4. Maxi once again - just stay at home please you clown.
    5. Martin McElhinney definitely should start the next day.
    6. Having been brought off at half time against Longford, then again early in the second half on Saturday and based on what Charlie14 said about half time on Saturday it sounds like there is some tension between Rory and Frank - might there be more to this?
    7. Some of the point scoring on Saturday looked every bit as good on tv last night as they sounded on the radio on Saturday. It's lovely to see Murphy beat the leather off the ball from 50 out and manage to steer it over the bar at the same time and the winner from Paddy was brilliant.

Galway the next day will be tough as Galway are a much better team than they showed yesterday and there is bound to be a reaction from them. We're carrying a few lads and we don't have the bench we used to so once again we'll be relying on the usual few to do the job. We're getting by in spite of the sideline, not because of them this summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭intellectual dosser

I'd like to say a massive Fair Play to everyone who travelled from Donegal for the game on Saturday.

I think the GAA do a massive disservice to supporters when they schedule games for 6pm where one team has far to travel. It must have been past midnight getting home for anyone travelling from Inishowen or Gweedore.

I think it needs to be looked at if the GAA are going to keep up the "Nothing beats being there" mantra.

Kudos

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

As a meath fan, there was a huge turn out by several fans for such a tricky journey. It was almost 50/50 in terms of support.

It was a good game, but ye deserved the win, you had that extra spark that we lacked.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

Sligo will be grand for this.

When is throw in/venue confirmed?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 367 ✭✭Don2012

Sligo will be grand for this.

When is throw in/venue confirmed?

Hasn't been confirmed as of yet. 22nd/23rd July should be a good match. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭harpsman

Ceist_Beag wrote: »
    SO back to Saturday evening then, would anyone there care to do up a report? Listening on the radio a couple of observations in which I'd be interested in getting the view of those who were actually there.

1. The experienced (can't call them old as most of them are young lads!) heads once again pulled us through. Murphy, Ryan, Paddy. It also soungs like young Jason McGee had a decent match. Did anyone else play well?
    2. Eoin McHugh doesn't deserve a start the next day. He just hasn't performed all year for us and for me isn't good enough.
    3. Hugh McFadden still ain't the answer.
    4. Maxi once again - just stay at home please you clown.
    5. Martin McElhinney definitely should start the next day.
    6. Having been brought off at half time against Longford, then again early in the second half on Saturday and based on what Charlie14 said about half time on Saturday it sounds like there is some tension between Rory and Frank - might there be more to this?
    7. Some of the point scoring on Saturday looked every bit as good on tv last night as they sounded on the radio on Saturday. It's lovely to see Murphy beat the leather off the ball from 50 out and manage to steer it over the bar at the same time and the winner from Paddy was brilliant.

Galway the next day will be tough as Galway are a much better team than they showed yesterday and there is bound to be a reaction from them. We're carrying a few lads and we don't have the bench we used to so once again we'll be relying on the usual few to do the job. We're getting by in spite of the sideline, not because of them this summer.
    According to Conan on the Wooly podcast Frank and Rory were having a bit of a screaming match in the Tyrone game as well.

Wouldnt be expecting too much of a reaction from Galway the next day- their record in the qualifiers is awful and in the 1st game out after a tanking, particularly a=in a final you were hot favourites to win morale and confidence will be pretty low. Having said that they still look like more of a team than Donegal, but I'd take us to win by a few

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,975 ✭✭✭iMuse

Don2012 wrote: »
    Hasn't been confirmed as of yet. 22nd/23rd July should be a good match. :)

Think it will be the 22nd at 5pm or 7pm as Sky Sports are showing both 4a qualifiers live?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

harpsman wrote: »
    According to Conan on the Wooly podcast Frank and Rory were having a bit of a screaming match in the Tyrone game as well.

He's a tube tbh. Chats drivel.

Rory is always roaring and shouting anyway, so that encounter with Frankie is hardly news.

Confirmed in Markievicz Park, Sligo on Saturday 22nd. Time not confirmed but most likely will be 7pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭intellectual dosser

Confirmed in Markievicz Park, Sligo on Saturday 22nd. Time not confirmed but most likely will be 7pm.
    Following on about what I said this morning about supporters having to travel long distances, 7pm would be a joke.

Following on about what I said this morning about supporters having to travel long distances, 7pm would be a joke.

Agreed but it's very much at the behest of Sky (and RTE) these days and they probably see Donegal v Galway as a better match to put on at the later slot than Mayo v Cork. What the travelling fans want doesn't matter these days, it's those who sit at home to watch on tv who win out. You only need to look across the water at our neighbours to see that this is a road the GAA chose to go down which puts the travelling fans very much at the bottom of their list of priorities.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Where you reading that?

Where you reading that?

Official Donegal GAA posted it on twitter with a link to the Donegal Democrat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Official Donegal GAA posted it on twitter with a link to the Donegal Democrat.

Cheers. Just couldn't see it on GAA.ie or RTÉ

Advertisement