Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Donegal GAA Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 748 ✭✭✭boxer.fan

A lot of the body language on the pitch this evening tells me a few more of the boys will call it a day. Couldn't blame them if they did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

Jayop wrote: »
    Paddy Mcbrearty is some man to keep going till the end with that crap.

Depressing watching a once great team reduced to that - and the only chink of light was the way McBrearty applied himself to the end - a credit to Donegal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 422 ✭✭The Assistinator

prick of a man Fermanagh are more than welcome to take him back he embarrassed us hopefully for the last time now. I don't think John joes reign was even this bad. Let's just hope the gob****e has a little bit of decency and feck off

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭babybuilder

I heard the Cork manager resigned after their match. An honourable thing to do even though Cork put up a monumental battle. Can we expect likewise?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,498 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

I heard the Cork manager resigned after their match. An honourable thing to do even though Cork put up a monumental battle. Can we expect likewise?

Not a hope

• Advertisement

prick of a man Fermanagh are more than welcome to take him back he embarrassed us hopefully for the last time now. I don't think John joes reign was even this bad. Let's just hope the gob****e has a little bit of decency and feck off
    However we might have issues with this man's running of the team and his management failings I don't think it's fair to make personalised attacks on him or his county.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 367 ✭✭Don2012

boxer.fan wrote: »
    A lot of the body language on the pitch this evening tells me a few more of the boys will call it a day. Couldn't blame them if they did.

Frank was mad looking when he was taken off in fact he looked fuming!

Don2012 wrote: »
    Frank was mad looking when he was taken off in fact he looked fuming!

His treatment of Frank with his substitution in the 35th minute was a poor decision and smacked of vindictiveness. I know Galway were running amok but why not wait till half time? Also, he;s done subbed Frank in a similar manner a number of times.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,213 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

However we might have issues with this man's running of the team and his management failings I don't think it's fair to make personalised attacks on him or his county.

With his taking off Frank McGlynn when he did after Frank having words with him before the start of the second half against Meath and during the Tyrone game it looks like Gallagher doesnt have a problem with being vindictive and making it personal.

Jesus man grow up we all say things in the heat of the minute and I never said anything about his county but thanks for reminding me that some people are a wee bit sensitive to people been called a prick.

• Advertisement

Jesus man grow up we all say things in the heat of the minute and I never said anything about his county but thanks for reminding me that some people are a wee bit sensitive to people been called a prick.

If you look at my posts regarding his management of the county team since 2015 I haven't spared him or the team from deserved criticism. TBH, I'm more sensitive and affronted by what I see on the field. :cool:

If you look at my posts regarding his management of the county team since 2015 I haven't spared him or the team from deserved criticism. TBH, I'm more sensitive and affronted by what I see on the field. :cool:
    Well I do feel he done a lot of prickish things since he took over.
    Just after listening to his interview after the game here while he didn't mention much about next year I feel he knows the gig is up blaming having such a young team and the retirements and them putting to much into the league.

Well I do feel he done a lot of prickish things since he took over.
    Just after listening to his interview after the game here while he didn't mention much about next year I feel he knows the gig is up blaming having such a young team and the retirements and them putting to much into the league.
    Just hope he does the honourable thing. My main concern however is not just the hems he's made of the job but also the sterile direction football is going in Donegal. Our style of play is so predictable based on a very basic form of what McGuinness brought in in 2011.

Just hope he does the honourable thing. My main concern however is not just the hems he's made of the job but also the sterile direction football is going in Donegal. Our style of play is so predictable based on a very basic form of what McGuinness brought in in 2011.
    We where on a hiding to nothing today if ever there was a time to put Murphy in tHe square it was today but for me the most annoying thing today well all summer really is the lack of pressure put on opposing players inside or 45 and our inability to tackle or even track men back a staple of what we where doing in 2011, if we are going to play that defensive type of play we need to do the basics and it's up to management to be able to fix that.

doc_17 wrote: »
    I felt sorry for young Gillespie being taken off before the ball was thrown in at the start of the second half. Like, can we not even manage to make a substitute in 15 mins at HT?
    Definitely not the way to treat a young man and very bad for his confidence basic lack of man management how many other players are going to leave because of this Leo/brick/Anthony/Declan walsh and I would say probably more that I've left out I'd say if he could have handled these people better he wouldn't have such a young squad with no experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

Enough is enough.

Get that lout out of Donegal and back to Fermanagh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,965 ✭✭✭doc_17

Of the Naomh Conaill lads only think Leo is a loss I'd say. And to be honest, the nature of their absence says as much about them than it does about Rory.

Do they want to play for Donegal? Or for Jim?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 748 ✭✭✭boxer.fan

There is an obvious frustration on the field. The use of the subs has been an absolute mystery to me since RG took over.

Clearly big Neil has been our biggest loss. His dominance in the middle was underrated.

Our goalkeepers, although decent enough shot stoppers, have been given no direction whatsoever.

Hugh McFadden must be some player in training because he has shown nothing in matches yet has started almost every time.

Langan seems to have the makings of a great forward. Himself, MM & PmcB would command respect against any team if they were in around the square for any significant period.

The McHugh's are not being utilised properly.

It's hard work watching Neil McGee, Paddy McGrath, Frank McGlynn, Karl Lacy, Murphy & McBrearty trying to hold things together.

There's an opening in Fermanagh which hopefully might attract our dear leader. A lot of folk make the statement "who would replace him". This argument is unacceptable, let someone else have a go. The current setup is not working & is not showing any sign of working. We are getting too many fundamentals wrong.

There is the makings of a great team in the County. Punching way below our weight.

To sum up RG's interview: "you know you know you know you know you know you know you know you know you know" ad infinitum

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

Of the Naomh Conaill lads only think Leo is a loss I'd say. And to be honest, the nature of their absence says more about them than it does about Rory.

Nonsense, the treatment of Leo last year by that little d!ckhead was nothing short of disgraceful, he was effectively forced out of that squad

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 367 ✭✭Don2012

Definitely not the way to treat a young man and very bad for his confidence basic lack of man management how many other players are going to leave because of this Leo/brick/Anthony/Declan walsh and I would say probably more that I've left out I'd say if he could have handled these people better he wouldn't have such a young squad with no experience.

If God forbid Rory doesn't go so many of the players will either retire or leave. I can name two that definitely will if he stays! Imagine if he he resigns though! How many will come back, now that we so very badly need. One of the problems has been the players had such a good relationship with Jim, but it has been blatantly obvious that Rory doesn't have that relationship with the players. Something was never right and hopefully now that's the end of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭wingsof daun

charlie14 wrote: »
    With his taking off Frank McGlynn when he did after Frank having words with him before the start of the second half against Meath and during the Tyrone game it looks like Gallagher doesnt have a problem with being vindictive and making it personal.

Frank McGlynn doesn't know his place, a superb talent but he was always too mouthy - a real smart alec. If player power takes over as you know the whole performance of teams goes down.
    We put in a really good performance against Meath, including McGlynn, but today McGlynn hadn't the pace. I thought we'd improve again from Navan but it didn't happen at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,115 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

Don2012 wrote: »
    If God forbid Rory doesn't go so many of the players will either retire or leave. I can name two that definitely will if he stays! Imagine if he he resigns though! How many will come back, now that we so very badly need. One of the problems has been the players had such a good relationship with Jim, but it has been blatantly obvious that Rory doesn't have that relationship with the players. Something was never right and hopefully now that's the end of it.

he has never had a better time to leave with the fermanagh post open , they have put a fortune into recent developments underage and to join the club erne would result in selling the yacht you might have lying idle in the south of france

to be fair what donegal have coming through will be serious in the coming years but will ye have to go for an outside man initially

• Registered Users Posts: 15,213 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Frank McGlynn doesn't know his place, a superb talent but he was always too mouthy - a real smart alec. If player power takes over as you know the whole performance of teams goes down.
    We put in a really good performance against Meath, including McGlynn, but today McGlynn hadn't the pace. I thought we'd improve again from Navan but it didn't happen at all.

Frank McGlynn doesn`t know his place !! Sweet suffering J**us.
    Where were you in 2012 when he harried up the wing on the Hogan stand side against Mayo to put a nail in their coffin or against Armagh in the Q/F 2014 to dig us out of a hole ???? Just two examples of many.

Frank McGlynn is a man who has ran himself into the ground so many time in a Donegal jersey that for a keyboard warrior like yourself to criticise his calling out of a Jim McGuinness reject who has spent three year showing just why he was a reject and how clueless he is, says a lot more about mouthy people using the anonymity of a keyboard than someone who over the years has shown just how much he cares for Donegal football.

You should be ashamed of yourself, but unfortunately people like you never are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,943 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Think its fair to say that the golden era is over.........sometimes its hard to take but the team is a mess at present.

Nonsense, the treatment of Leo last year by that little d!ckhead was nothing short of disgraceful, he was effectively forced out of that squad

Yeah he didn't treat him the best but look at 2015. Leo didn't join the panel until the Ulster SF that year. And why? Because he didn't like the manager. It's juvenile "I not playing with you because my friend jim doesn't like you".

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭North of 32

What summed up the whole management was maxi running onto the pitch, 70 minutes up, still micro-coaching. Pointing here, there and everywhere. It was pathetic.

Of the Naomh Conaill lads only think Leo is a loss I'd say. And to be honest, the nature of their absence says as much about them than it does about Rory.

Do they want to play for Donegal? Or for Jim?

Given the amount of effort those men put in for Donegal, I'd suggest they very much wanted to play for Donegal.

Which begs the question - what happened to change that desire, or made it undesirable? A change of manager alone is very unlikely to have caused that many retirements, imo.

Very much so.

Frank McGlynn is a superb player, and a loyal servant to Donegal for many years now.

If I were in his position, I'd have been "mouthy" too.

How do you expect anyone to tolerate watching a great team consistently underachieving, and just accept it?

There's a line between discipline, and authoritarian. If a player can't have a discussion with management when tactics clearly aren't working, then questions need to be asked, imo.
    Yeah he didn't treat him the best but look at 2015. Leo didn't join the panel until the Ulster SF that year. And why? Because he didn't like the manager. It's juvenile "I not playing with you because my friend jim doesn't like you".

So, if Leo was being juvenile, what about all the other players who left?

I've commented before about the level of retirements in a very short space of time. Watching the exchanges between Frank and RG only makes me wonder even more.

Most who retired were well into their 30s in fairness. And just to be clear, RG should go. But the Naomh Conaill lads, well there's something else up there.

• Advertisement

Most who retired were well into their 30s in fairness. And just to be clear, RG should go. But the Naomh Conaill lads, well there's something else up there.

I'd agree that most of the lads who retired were well into their thirties. Still, leaving en masse the way they did surprised me. I expected it to be staggered over two or three years, to allow the younger lads to "bed in" as it were.

Certainly, if I were building a team, that's the way I would have tried to have it happen - younger lads being introduced to train with the experienced players, and learning from them, while still being competitive enough to play against the top teams.

Instead, we have a situation where the experienced players are not being played, and the game plan leaves a lot to be desired.

I can't comment on the Naomh Conaill lads, I don't know what's going on there - but I do know that RGs team building strategy is farcical, any way you look at it.

Add the very questionable substitution decisions, and his comments on Donegal Daily today - and it's beginning to look very much as if he's actively pushing the old team out.
    If that's the case, it's not the best option for the young lads coming in, and it raises an awful lot of questions about his ability to either manage the team at all, or plan in any sensible way for the future well-being of the lads and the team.

Unfortunately, if that Donegal Daily interview is any guide, he doesn't seem to have considered leaving, more's the pity - rather, he comes across as someone who blamed the players for yesterdays performance, and as if he is suggesting the experienced players should leave.

That doesn't bode well, imo - and, if I were one of the Donegal players, I'd be getting very "mouthy" about his discussing retirements without having discussed it with his players first. That, alone, shows a lot about his management style - and, sadly, a complete lack of respect for his players.

Any objective listener to that DD interview should be left with questions - ones that RG should be made to answer, imo.

Advertisement